Future of EG's Berserk Scanlations

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I quite like DH's translations. There's Guts saying words like 'friggin'', 'gotta', 'dunno' instead of speaking like Queen's English. I think this suits his character. Same with Manji, he's supposed to be a gangster, and that's what DH did. The both of them obviously received minimal education, so the way they speak reflects on their character.

There has been some minor 'controversy' with EG, because we once used 'Fuck you', and 'faggot ass monsters' in a chapter. There were people that said 'wait, people didn't swear back then!' People claim that it wasn't authentic (because people didn't swear in the middle ages or something) and it was completely wrong. We called them retards. This is like the same situation above. Does this usage of words make EG's translations bad? Some think it does, to this day. I have received comments like 'oh yeah eg does bersek but its not a gret translation becase they swore in one chapter n therefore its not a good translation becase of tht but i still read it anywy becase its free'. These are coming from the mouths of leechers.

Of course, I can't sway opinions. If you don't like it, don't read it, regardless if it's free or not. It's quite simple, really.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Libaax wrote:Have you guys read DH's Blade of Immortal?

They translate like Manji is standing in the streets of NY talking to gangbangers.

Thats the worst translation i have read from big company, cause you are sure the mangaka didnt mean to make his characters sound like that.
Actually you are entirely wrong there. The mangakas write in contemorary Japanese thug language as the way Manji speaks, and it pretty much can't be translated as anything but the way it was done in the official translations. As Malvado points out, the guy is a thug, not some pretentious upperclass honor-bound samurai, and the Japanese (and English) totaly reflects that.

BotI was never supposed to be historically accurate, and there are tons of anacronicities and plain fantasy elements to it, I don't know where you get your high horse from.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I can see that Manji is suppose to talk the way he does cause of who he is but there are some bad translations that just scream out of place.

I have read enough manga trans with similar characters to know you dont have to translate that bad as they do sometimes in BOTI.

I am pretty sure they can do a better job plus its not only manji. Sometimes the hole manga feel like a kid is translating. I have seen when they translate correctly to know sometimes they choose the wrong words when they translate.

Telling me which kind of character Manji and how he talks in modern way was very unnecessary cause its not like i dont know him by now.

The only time i have seen a big company with trans is not top notch, once again not only Manj but the hole manga sometimes sucks trans wise.

About historicly correct or what not dont treat me like i dont know what manga i am talking about.

I have read several manga that similar to BTOI trans wise that was full of americanized english and stuff, i just think trans is Blade isnt good enough sometimes of the time. Could be much better in some places.

I am a little annoyed by your hole post cause it looks like you think i have never read a manga before.

On the contrary i know too well how important translations are which is why i see clearly when a trans is a little off.

Sure i might be spoiled by the many great translations i have read by DH,Viz,TP and even EG.
Last edited by Libaax on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Libaax wrote:Have you guys read DH's Blade of Immortal?

They translate like Manji is standing in the streets of NY talking to gangbangers.

Thats the worst translation i have read from big company, cause you are sure the mangaka didnt mean to make his characters sound like that.
Nemmind, Wandering Mystic beat me to it.

Dark Horse has always been clear about Samura's use of modern street-punk slang, and they've translated accordingly. They're pretty good about not just making shit up on their own.

About the only publisher I can see on the shelf who treats their books as well as Dark Horse is Del Rey. Dark Horse goes waaaay back, farther than most any publisher of Japanese work in the States, all the way back to Studio Proteus and Toren Smith days.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Libaax wrote:I can see that Manji isn't suppose to talk like in that era by how he talks and who he is but there are some bad translations that just scream out of place.
oh god what is this

You obviously know BotI better than the author himself. If you'd brought up any actual examples contrasting the original with the translation, we'd at least be able to take you halfway seriously.

Dismount. Seriously, you're just making it clear you don't get BotI, if I may be so bold. Clashing contrasts are powerful artistic tools.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah sure i dont get BOTI sure cause i didnt think DH trans was perfect.....

Also read my post where i said it wastn only about Manji but others part of the manga too.

To eldo: i just wanna say just cause i dont dind the trans perfect doesnt mean i will stop reading the BOTI.

Most of the time its not annoying trans.

EDIT:

It looks like i wrote some bad english of the part you qouted. What i mean is i know that Manji is suppose to talk like the way he does. Thats not the problem.

I urge the two last post to check my edited post.

Where i corrected myself and say the problem isnt that Manji talks slang. It how they translate him and others sometimes.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Could you give some examples of the lines that your so confident are badly translated? Because without actual examples, there's no way to know if you have a point or not.
freegood
imanewbie

Post by freegood »

Eldo wrote:
There has been some minor 'controversy' with EG, because we once used 'Fuck you', and 'faggot ass monsters' in a chapter. There were people that said 'wait, people didn't swear back then!' People claim that it wasn't authentic (because people didn't swear in the middle ages or something) and it was completely wrong. We called them retards. This is like the same situation above. Does this usage of words make EG's translations bad? Some think it does, to this day. I have received comments like 'oh yeah eg does bersek but its not a gret translation becase they swore in one chapter n therefore its not a good translation becase of tht but i still read it anywy becase its free'. These are coming from the mouths of leechers.

Of course, I can't sway opinions. If you don't like it, don't read it, regardless if it's free or not. It's quite simple, really.
Yeah... people swore then as they do now. Not everyone spoke Queen's English just like how everyone wasn't proper during "Victorian England".

It's a big misconception, like how some people here think all Japanese people love anime and giant robots.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

If they didnt love the giant robots then they would turn on Japan and destroy Tokyo
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

freegood wrote:Yeah... people swore then as they do now. Not everyone spoke Queen's English just like how everyone wasn't proper during "Victorian England".

It's a big misconception, like how some people here think all Japanese people love anime and giant robots.
I don´t think that the problem people were bringing was that they swore at that time, it was *how* they talked, "fuck you" or "faggots ass monsters" aren´t probably the most common swares in Medieval times.
But it´s not because of tranlation like that that i´m going to stop reading Berserk, it´s EG that translate it they can write it however they want, i´m getting their shit for free.

My main problem with DH is the retarded accents they gave to characters with diferent nationalities in Hellsing, they decided for no reason that Anderson was Irish so they made his english almost impossible to read with some "ACH" in the middle of sentences.

And all french people talk like "zis" and all german people say "volrd" and "vould" when they speak english....right.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Well, I'm going to side with those who can translate because they are the experts and we are lowly readers.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Deathbringer wrote:My main problem with DH is the retarded accents they gave to characters with diferent nationalities in Hellsing, they decided for no reason that Anderson was Irish so they made his english almost impossible to read with some "ACH" in the middle of sentences.
They had him speak in a nearly-incomprehensible Swedish dialect in the (japanese to) swedish translation, so I think Anderson's original japanese speech pattern may have been equally funky.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I couldn't stand the Hellsing translations. I wouldn't have minded if only one character had a strong accent, but the way they translated it was like anyone who even might have an accent had to have one. It just made reading it a pain, and I couldn't enjoy it.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

LordMune wrote: They had him speak in a nearly-incomprehensible Swedish dialect in the (japanese to) swedish translation, so I think Anderson's original japanese speech pattern may have been equally funky.
People have said to me that he talks normally in the original version, plus you can´t speak japanese with a Irish accent and Dark Horse already said that they did it out of the blue, in other words for no good reason. =/
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Plus all the other characters they also gave attrocious accents to (though no others to quite that degree).
Aolsier
Don't mind me, I'm a dumbass.

Post by Aolsier »

Good because fans need to support berserk if they want more of it.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Istvan wrote:I couldn't stand the Hellsing translations. I wouldn't have minded if only one character had a strong accent, but the way they translated it was like anyone who even might have an accent had to have one. It just made reading it a pain, and I couldn't enjoy it.
IMO it was a brilliant move on the translator's part. Hellsing's cheesy, over-the-top nature is at the very core of its being, and the accents are fully in keeping with that.
Hawk of Darkness
Don't mind me, I'm a dumbass.

Post by Hawk of Darkness »

Well I'm glad ur respecting DH whishes in incourages fans to actually buy the manga, which they should because how else do you want to see berserk continue in america if nobody buy's the shit
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I never had a problem including "fuck you" or "faggot ass monsters" in that chapter, but I did feel as though it was an awkward continuity break. It just was weird reading dialogue one way for so long, and then seeing it changed the next. Though I kind of like the more intense swearing...it makes Guts sound more savage.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

I think those who complain about the language used in the translation by EG ought to stop complaining and if they truly think they can do a better job, they should shut up and put it up. Personally I am very thankful for all the work EG has done, and continuous to do. Though I am brand new, it should not inhibit me from showing my gratification to EG.
However I totally understand that we should also buy the official released Berserk manga volumes by DH.
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I think everyone appreciates the work EG does, just some people feel the liberty to complain about things. As you said, those that do should put up or shut up. Where would we all be without EG? Seriously......where?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

With all the content in Berserk, it seems a little ridiculous to complain about some rough language, heh.
white_rose
imanewbie

Post by white_rose »

Actually, the man whom would have been the influence for Guts' character, had Kentarou Miura not stated otherwise, was pretty much the king of cursewords in his time and age, and much of Germanic curse language owes it's existence to his influence...

* Er kann mich im Arsche lecken!

("He may lick my ass!")

Berlichingen's reply to the Bishop of Bamberg's demand for his surrender - from Memoirs.
Crono454
imanewbie

Post by Crono454 »

Malvado wrote:
Istvan wrote:
Now I just have to very securely copy all my berserk files, or I won't be able to get them back should anything go wrong with the comp .
Well, since the files won't be taken down until the equivilent volume is published, you could always buy anything you loose. Just a thought.
fuck buying it. Some of us people don't have the luxury of paper.
There is nothing wrong with buying it. Plenty of us here have jobs and make enough money to purchase some cheap books.

I already own Volume 1-16 from DarkHorse and plan to buy every release they have.

Rethink your "fuck buying it."

There isn't any shame in supporting a localization, just like there is no shame in those who give money to the fantastic scanlations Evil Genius does, or do you think the world moves by for free?

Don't be a bratty kid...>.<