A Guide to Spamming

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

A Guide to Spamming

Post by Femto »

I fear that as as moderator I should not be starting a thread such as this, but it pains me to see my beautiful pink-gay-smiley thing getting whored by a lot of members here. As I mentioned somewhere before, spamming has become a way of life here, but it seems that some people are having a hard time understanding how exactly it is that spam works. http://www.urbandictionary.com 's fourth definition of the word spam reads:

1- Annoying junk emails
2- a 'meat' product
3- Usless off-topic or annoying posts at message boards, usually using the smilie ' :smoke:'
4- what one does in the unmoderated section of kraptastica

This is not an e-mail client, so number one is not what we are looking for. This is teh internat, so food has nothing to do with it. Number two isn't the definition we are looking for either. That leaves us with number three and four. "Unmoderated section of kraptastica" sound a lot like our fiery Interstice, but that is not general enough for our purposes, so number four isn't it either. "Usless off-topic or annoying posts at message boards, usually using the smilie ' :smoke:'" sounds about right. We even have that smiley (:smoken: for the uninformed) so we can relate with this definition and we'll use it as our own. Without further ado, an example of spam, courtesy of dos.azn and Starnum:
n00b wrote:Berz3rk iz teh r0xorz!!!!!1
Experienced spammer wrote:*nods*
Notice the simplicity of the second post. Just one word, yet it is not saying one thing or another. It is not giving an opinion, it is merely stating what the previous member said. This is by definition spam. Now some of us have decided to embrace spam and wear it proudly in our posts by typing +1 at the end of our precious spam, "+1" being, of course, "Post Count +1." Now, how do we judge what is spam and what isn't? Here is another example:
Femto wrote:Femto>n00bs
Non spammer wrote:Yeah!
As short as the answer is, it should not be considered spam, because "Non spammer" is actually letting us know his opinion about the previous poster's statement. We now know that Non spammer thinks that Femto>n00bs (who doesn't?) thanks to that post, no matter how short it was. This is of course borderline of what spam is, but it should help users define spam and it's many forms. Now let us look at this example:
Femto wrote:Femto>n00bs
Spammer wrote:lol
This is a textbook definition of spam. We know that Spammer finds the previous statement funny, but we are given no insight on why this is so, or even if he agrees with it. It is simply posting just for the sake of posting. Now that we know what spam is, we should be able to use our +1s properly. Remember, if we are answering a question or informing another user of something they don't know, then it's not spam, no matter how short the post is.

Now let us go back to the reason why I started this thread, the pink-gay-smiley-thing. As I said, I fear that it is being whored for no apparent reason. It is not to be used only when spamming, our beloved pink-gay-smiley-thing has many more uses than that. I've have seen it used properly on few occasions, so I've decided to post some simple examples on what I consider good uses of our pink-gay-smiley-thing:
You suck. :kekeke:
Femto pwns n00bs. :kekeke:
I have a penis. :kekeke:
The pink-gay-smiley-thing does not HAVE to be used when spamming, but only when you want the spam to take on a specific tone, that of a pink-gay-smiley-thing. The pink-gay-smiley-thing could be spam in itself too. It has many uses and our job is to find every last one of them. Before I finish, I feel that there is one last thing that deserves to be touched upon:

:PLUS1: vs. "+1"

There has been some debate in the forums recently on which form of +1 works better and why. I obviously go for the "+1" for a couple of reasons. First, it is easier to read. We have two other emoticons holding signs with different things on them, so we must actually read what the PLUS1 emoticon is holding for it to register in our brain. A simple +1 does the job a lot easier and faster. It's the combination of two symbols that we've known long before we could use our memory and symbols that are already in our subconscious. Second, a typed +1 doesn't disrupt the flow of a thread, whereas an emoticon with this height will screw up anything you might have written next to it. Finally, and the answer most likely to sway any of you nay-sayers, typing "+1" is faster and easier than either typing ": PLUS1 : " or going into the emoticon menu to select it.

I hope this clears any doubts some of you might have on spamming and their repercussions and I hope that we'll be able to keep the spam as civilized as possible from now on, whatever that means.
Waiting for your +1s,
Femto

PD: If this thread does not get locked, it should get stickied.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Its all about the sign. For starters I always follow it up by pink-gay-smiley thing so I am already in the menu, its just to clicks instead of 1 and faster then typing +1. Also I am avid user of emoticons and having the choice use one over not. Also I always do it on its own line as to not disrupt the layout of the post, because it does look bad with it on the same line as writing.

:PLUS1: :kekeke:

But like this its looks quite appropriate.
Last edited by Arresty on Thu May 05, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Did you even read my long ass post?

Why do I even bother? I should be working on my finals dammit!
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I actually did read it, suprisingly enough. Was jut joking around with my reply, and making my argument why sign is better than +1. I was not calling my post spam, I was just showing an example of how I handle it.

Last part is gone now, was just a joke, now that you read it no need to keep it.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I for one do not like spam, so... I reserve the right to bring down 'teh hammer' at any moment on those that do. Sometimes I don't care (read apathetic), but if I'm drunk... I'll fucking kill you. I'll wait til you are asleep and carve psi29a on the back of your head.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Ugh. COuld this be summed up into 3 sentences or less? I am teh lazy. :wink:

Oh yeah:

:smoken:
ImageImage
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

this is a very good guide femto, compared to calvin's :kekeke: you should perhaps edit this into a sticky thread
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

The pink-gay smiley is depressed because people keep calling it pink(its okay with the gay part) wen it actually is purple.It told me it will be sueing your sorry asses soon for discrimination, and for emotional distress.

Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

psi29a wrote:but if I'm drunk... I'll fucking kill you. I'll wait til you are asleep and carve psi29a on the back of your head.
"Yeah!" That's a "fucking" good attitude. :twisted:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Guide for all users:
a) Spamming: It is annoying and not tolerated. You will be asked to stop only once. This includes posting without text, post count raising strategy, off-topic posts, and lastly your first post. Don't make your first post inane or you will be slapped. Remeber, you have one chance to make a good impression.
The very FIRST guideline.

:rulez:
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Haha a tough forum then,"Remember, you have one chance to make a good impression.
" :lol: Sounds like you are doomed forever if your first posts doesnt contribute or is somewhat stupid,hehe,talk about giving people a chance :lol:
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

That is the point. If anyone doesn't like it, then they can leave. The goal isn't to grow a user base, but provide a alternative location to get EG's work. If people want to talk about it, great. However, SPAM adds NOTHING of value, decreases system performance, and irritates people, and most of all me.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Hehe I know,and actually agree.Spam sucks(not allways :lol:) and it needs strict rules to erradicate it.But just thought the "only one chance to make good impression" thing was a bit funny and harsh.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Yup, people learn not to fuck up that way. Ban 'em for 30 days and they either come back wiser, or they stay away. I'm not here to make friends.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Berz3rk iz teh r0xorz!!!!!1

lol

im sorry i just had to do it...
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

*nods*

A guide to spamming. New it was gona come up one day......
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Buzkashi wrote:*nods*

A guide to spamming. New it was gona come up one day......
What the day of reckoning? or judgement day?? come on man MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!
Starnum
Elven King

Re: A Guide to Spamming

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Without further ado, an example of spam, courtesy of dos.azn and Starnum:
n00b wrote:Berz3rk iz teh r0xorz!!!!!1
Experienced spammer wrote:*nods*
As short as the answer is, it should not be considered spam, because "Non spammer" is actually letting us know his opinion about the previous poster's statement.
Hold on a second, I don't think I've ever posted just a "*nods*". I'm not saying I've never spammed, but I usally say something, even if it's just my opinion about the previous post. ;)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Arresty wrote:I actually did read it, suprisingly enough. Was jut joking around with my reply, and making my argument why sign is better than +1. I was not calling my post spam, I was just showing an example of how I handle it.

Last part is gone now, was just a joke, now that you read it no need to keep it.
I was just kidding man. :wink:

Starnum: I just credited you for being the one that always says *nods*, not necessarily for spamming.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Well the last part was just a joke from the beginning I thought you would hav edited out of my post anyways, but apparentlly not, so I did it for you.

Also I am pretty sure most of the people in the top 10 posters category have spammed a few times. Psi being the exception, Buz being the king.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't think there was any need to edit your post. I was just kidding really, and I can take it if you say Arresty>Femto>n00bs, even if you were being completely serious. I wouldn't go around editing people's posts just for the heck of it or because they disagree with me, unless it's some stupid n00b that crosses the line of course.

That reminds me of Griffith. :kekeke:
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Femto wrote:That reminds me of Griffith. :kekeke:
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

dos.azn wrote:this is a very good guide femto, compared to calvin's :kekeke: you should perhaps edit this into a sticky thread
what? since when did i ever make a guide to spamming?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Apparently it was your rules of randomness thread.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

that wasn't really a guide to spamming, it was more of a place to spam. which i now realize was a fairly stupid idea considering the volume of spam this forum already gets