Guild Wars

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

j.c.mellonhead
imanewbie

Guild Wars

Post by j.c.mellonhead »

Just wondering how many here are playing GW yet. I just got it Friday and I'm thoroughly impressed.
Really, my only qualm with the game to this point is the lack in variety of armor and weapons for each area. Hopefully they'll change that with future updates and expansions, though.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Haven't heard a whole lot about the game. A friend of mine on another forum showed us some BETA pics (I think they were BETA) and it looked pretty cool. I do like the fact that there is no online monthly fee. I would play like a bajillion more MMORPGs if they didn't have the monthly fees (Though I do understand the need for them, in order to pay for servers to play the game, mods, etc. etc.) The monthly fee was what stopped me from playing UO a few years go (Got back in like last year, but the economy was so shitty I gave up after a week. Mining being the way to easy money my ass :evil:) Final Fantasy XI this year, and why I'll never pick up World of Warcraft.
ImageImage
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I played almost every MMORPG in Betas but I don't want to pay. :twisted:
About GW, I don't like the Necromancer spell-fighting-system. All I want is a dark, bad little Necro. :(
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

As much as a free MMORPG interest me, I have given up on the genre. They just take too much time.
j.c.mellonhead
imanewbie

Post by j.c.mellonhead »

That was one of the issues I had with MMO's, since I'm not home a lot I figured there wasn't much point in getting one because they need such a time commitment to play. But Guild Wars isn't like that. There are only 20 levels, and you level up very quickly. After level 20, you basically just wander around learning new skills and gathering new items, go to new areas, etc. That might not sound like as much fun for some, without the drive to keep leveling, but in the end it's way better. You'd really have to play it to see, but the game still keeps your attention after level 20. Plus, lvl 20 is the perfect time to start in on some PvP action, which is one of GW's big draws. Group combat is a lot of fun!
Southpaw
PIEZOR!

Post by Southpaw »

Guild Wars is the greatest. and the reason for my temporary absence here (if anyone notice anyway.)

This game is absolutely great. It just gets better as time goes on. The pvp action is amazing and the missions are very amusing and fun. I would love to see any of ya'll in there.

I am Recklees One in GW if any of you decide to pick it up.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Bah, I am too busy practicing my Street Fighter III 3rd Strike for a big tournament here in MI. I don't know, I am just tired of the whole MMORPG thing any way.
Southpaw
PIEZOR!

Post by Southpaw »

It'd not really an MMO, It's more like a multiplayer CRPG. You get in groups and do missions based on a storyline.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Southpaw wrote:It'd not really an MMO, It's more like a multiplayer CRPG. You get in groups and do missions based on a storyline.
Sounds MMOish to me. Meh, just me I guess. Besides, I don't think my comp can run GW. And I don't have the money to upgrade it.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

It's a MMO with the whole world build of instances for smaller groups.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

If you play Guild Wars, let your voice be known. Lots of people play, even those crazy cats from Databayuo (Naruto fame).

So far, people that play include:
Pyro
Southpaw
psi29a (once I get my copy)
(add your name in a post below)

if it works out, perhaps we can finally have a 'guild' of sorts. Some people from AoC like to play as well.
j.c.mellonhead
imanewbie

Post by j.c.mellonhead »

Well, I, of course am playing (being the one who started this thread and all), and my character names are Gareyth Brom, and Vismond Cygnus.

Hey, as far as having a guild goes, I already have one started. It isn't very big right now, but I invite anyone here to join if they want. I especially invite anyone who otherwise wouldn't have many other people to play with, since GW just isn't the same when you have to solo.
I know it's not the same as having an Evil Genius guild or whatever you'd call it, but i figured I'd offer anyway. If you're interested, just get on GW and whisper my co-admin Jarek Tairn, otherwise I'll just have to choose whether or not I stay with this guild or join the upcoming Mindwerks guild, if it ever comes into existance... :(
huaja
imanewbie

Post by huaja »

Got GW a few days ago and am currently a 13 Mo/Me (Miale Huaja is the name btw) and liking it a lot... I need more energy regen!! Heh.
One thing though is that I dont really consider this to be a MMORPG like EQ2 et al but a more (re: waaaaaayy more) advanced Diablo 2... It has features of a MMORPG but just seems to be missing something to fit in as a MMORPG, I cant put my finger on it exactly...Give it a try, its quite fun even my roomy who shunned it (big fan of MMORPGs e.g. EQ) is lvl 12 N/El now, haha.

edit=being able to draw and have beacons on the radar is also quite handy :)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

My system's needs an upgrade in order to be able to play it. I have some friends who preordered it as well, and they've been playing non-stop. Those guys actually had to borrow money from 4 different people to pay for the game, heh. I guess I'll play when: Computer upgrade + Buy a copy = Never.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I've just bought the game and am now playing as "Butch Badass" hehehe... mwah hahaha, they didn't filter that, take that bitch! :D
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

You're so evil... :twisted:

+1
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

psi29a wrote:I've just bought the game and am now playing as "Butch Badass" hehehe... mwah hahaha, they didn't filter that, take that bitch! :D
OK, now i have to get the game to see which names they won't filter. I personally would like to try to play as a Mr. Jack Mehoff, or Heywood Jablome. :twisted:
ImageImage
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Hi, my name is To2fpic and I am addicted to Guild Wars.
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

NECR0WN3D!

OK, so I am now thinking rather intently on getting this game, and would like to know who all is in on it, as well as reccomendations on playing. I was looking at a strat guide at Game Stop the other day (Picked up Shinobi, FInal Fantasy Tactics and Metal Gear Solid 1 from the used stacks :thumb: ) And I think I would want to look into plaing as an Elementalist, either Earth or Wind powers. Fire is nice, but I guess everyone and their mother wants to be a Fire Elementalist, and lots of people get Fire-Resist items in PvP.

On another MMORPG note, I am considering playing City of Heros, anyone play that here as well?
ImageImage
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Just say no to MMORPGs Tempest, they are bad for you.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

City of Villains is coming soon... though i dono about the whole apying monthly thing.. my bro was into WoW and then all of sudden was liek WOW.. this game is soo pointless... MMORPGs i dono are kind of pointless since the only fun is when your high levels.. so it takes 40 hours to get to get to the fun part??? i rather have a game fun throughout the whole game...
Southpaw
PIEZOR!

Yeah

Post by Southpaw »

Don't bother with Guild Wars. You will get a max of about 1 month of good gamage before you have done everything you care too. This thing has no damn staying power even if it is fun as hell the first time threw. Go play a real mmo not this pile.
psi29a
Godo

Re: Yeah

Post by psi29a »

Southpaw wrote:Don't bother with Guild Wars. You will get a max of about 1 month of good gamage before you have done everything you care too. This thing has no damn staying power even if it is fun as hell the first time threw. Go play a real mmo not this pile.
I remember saying to you once that guild wars isn't a true MMORPG. It is like Final Fantasy w/ lots of people in that you play with lots of people through al inear story line.

Stuff like WoW, Evercrack, and UO don't really have a story line... doesn't even classify as a game because there isn't really a winner, it is just a place to Role Play and sometimes kill things to get bigger. There isn't an ending.

And thus... my rain of playing MMORPGs ended in 1999 when I realized that paying someone 10+ bucks a month was crazy, specially when 10 years from now... the company and game could have shut down. that means a 1000 dollars was wasted on a game and you can never get that back.... EVER.
Southpaw
PIEZOR!

Post by Southpaw »

I knew going in that guildwars wasn't a true mmo, but you go log in and try and tell them and all the other mmo whores/refugees that.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I like MMO's, I have no friends so I run around as Darco the Defiler and kill all......ok I don't have a character named Darco but you get the point.