Interested in Mythology?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Interested in Mythology?

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Are you interested in mythology?

Why? / Why not?

What's your favorite Mythology? Greek? Roman? Norse or perhaps Chinese or Egyptian Mythology!?

I have read it since I was a mere child. I don't regard any mythology more special than any other, I think most of them are great, except Norse then perhaps since it's common knowledge over here to know about it so it feels kind of dull.

Discuss if you like! About your favorite God or anything regarding mythology ;).
Last edited by isse-pisse-päron-pung on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

This is a potentially great topic.

I'll have to post some stuff tomorrow though, I think I should sleep now...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I'm generally fascinated with all mythologies, but I've forgotten most of the myths I read, so I can't really recall much. :?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

When I was young, I was truly inspired and fascinated of a known tale in asia named in English 'A journey to the west'

It's about a buddhist monk who is traveling with Sun Wukong - the king of apes,a pig and a dragon.

It was so popular in Japan that they even did a sci-fi animé about it called "Starzinger" (Spaceketeers in the u.s).
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

i dont know if i could pick one topic that would be my favorite. i suppose i like religions, and mythological monsters the most. :)
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Yeah well those in topic doesn't necessarily have to of your interest perhaps you got something else regarding religion or mythology that you would like to share :)
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Greek and Germanic mythology are my favorites one.
Hearing myths about gods and heroes having and stuff.
I just love it!
And although many anime are based on myths.
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

I've always liked the Greek/roman mythologies. there too similar you can't really differentiate between the two though.

i also like all of the hollywoodized mythology movies. most of them are just hilarious.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

I didn't like the movie Troy though because they had almost enterily left out the fact that the gods had a finger in the war. Like the plague or when they sent down snakes to choke the prophet to death etc...

There is infact difference between Greek/Roman altough I can't remember many of them right now, but for example about Romulus and Remus isn't written in the Greek mythology for instance. :)
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

true, but most of the gods only have different names and exactly the same function (ei. god of war, food, etc)

i guess i should have said that it is somewhat pointless to differentiate between them
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

mm true well let's just say that the Gods are similar but the myths are some very alike for example Hercules in Roman and Herakles in Greek mythology. So the myths can be relative / unrelative...
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

My favorite god is Poseidon, God of the Seas and Cavalry. In case you don't know, its from the Greek mythology.

Does Star Wars count as mythology or religion as well? lol
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Devil_Dante wrote:My favorite god is Poseidon, God of the Seas and Cavalry. In case you don't know, its from the Greek mythology.

Does Star Wars count as mythology or religion as well? lol
Jedi is techniacally a religion, but neither are "Mythology" by any means. Give it a few thousands years though, and they might. :wink:
ImageImage
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I like most of the mythologies, too. I'm a metalhead after all so I like songs about it as well.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

A Journey to the west is pretty cool, they did make an anime on it called Saiyuki. I'm really into norse mythology, the root of my name is Jotun, which is from norse mythology. Some of my good friends that were really into drugs used to call me "Jotaaaaan" when stoned so it was a nickname that stuck.
Ellen
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Ellen »

I like reading about mythologies too. Funniest creation story is from norse mythology, we're all created from the sweat of an ice giant. True story.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

No, giants were created from Ymir's (the original giant) sweat. The cow Audhumla was licking the salty ice from Muspelheim and it somehow created the god Buri. Buri begat Bor, Bor begat Odin, Vili, and Ve. Odin killed Ymir the ice giant and created the world out of his body; blood for the seas, flesh for the earth, his skull for the sky, his bones for mountains, and his hair for trees. Then Odin took some sticks and made man out of them. We are all stickmen.

I took a mythology class in highschool, it was one of my favorite classes. I liked Norse the best, it was mostly all new to me. Greek/Roman is interesting but fairly common. We spent some time on Celtic and Arthurian legends, which was fun. But we didnt have time for Egyptian or any asian mythologies cause we spent tons of time on Greek/Roman. I think Greek and Roman mythology are the same, just a few variations in stories and name spellings.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I'm a mythology whore, favorites are norse and christian. Since all religion is basicly mythology until proven better have fun with the church.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Whats norse mythology about? Like thor and what not?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Pretty much, yeah. :)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I totally love Norse Mythology. I mean, not just about the Gods, which there's so much, but also about the Einherier and all of the magic that existed in Midgard. Like the stories of the Valkyrie and the elves, it goes pretty deep. My favorite thing about Norse gods though, is that they aren’t as fickle as the Greek gods. They can do silly things, like how Baldur ended up dieing, but their ways are also militant, but with structure. They seem to have more stable alignments and stuff though.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

One of my favorite God is Hefaistos, The smith God. Thrown out when he was just an infant and when the Gods at Olympos wanted him back he tricked them quite badly. According to the books iv'e read He was badly handicapped and had to create his own equipment to be able to walk. He had arms like gorillas and was quite strong I think and then suddenly he gets married with Aphrodite. That's quite amazing I think how someone weak achieved such status when even Poseidon and Hermes proposed and offered her lot's of other things that would easily make anyone jealous.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Laik
This is my new home

Post by Laik »

My favorite mythology is Norse easily. My favorite is Fenrir/Fenris, the monster wolf that bit off Tyr's hand and broke free of his chains to take part in Ragnarok.
EG needs some help. Please feel free to contact us if you want to become a part of the staff.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Yer owns, amazing to see how much all those mythologies has inspired authors so much. Tolkien for example.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Laik wrote:My favorite mythology is Norse easily. My favorite is Fenrir/Fenris, the monster wolf that bit off Tyr's hand and broke free of his chains to take part in Ragnarok.
Yeah after I played/read Valkyrie Profile, I found it rather interesting. Though I've never really followed it up.
"Context is for Kings"