Book recommendations

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Oro
Evil Genius

Book recommendations

Post by Oro »

I mostly like good adventure novels with some nice humor,can someone plz recommend me some from the link below.

http://www.torrentspy.com/directory/101 ... 2d+fiction
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

You're gonna pirate a book?
Ever heard of a library?
Anyhow, out of the list the first one I saw that I read and loved was Dracula. I would highly recomend it just because it's really great.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Aren't you pirating Berserk here on Mindwerks Sarah ?
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Yhea, but they don't have Berserk for free at libraries, plus I only pirate the volumes I can't buy.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Unless I had some tite moniter I wouldnt be able to handle reading that much on the comp.

But umm back in the day I read alot of the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony.
Daedelus
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

SarahofBorg wrote:You're gonna pirate a book?
Ever heard of a library?
Anyhow, out of the list the first one I saw that I read and loved was Dracula. I would highly recomend it just because it's really great.
Pot. Kettle. Black. You can actually get any Berserk manga you want legally by importing, albiet not in your language.

Moving on... audio books, meh. I tried one last year, I have about a 25 minute commute to work. It's harder than you think to keep up with things.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

The Da Vinci code should be good, though I think it works better as a movie.
Ever heard of a library?
Most libraries, I think, don't have the audio versions to read to you. If you're gonna pirate a book, why not read it?
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Daedelus wrote:
Ever heard of a library?
Pot. Kettle. Black. You can actually get any Berserk manga you want legally by importing, albiet not in your language.
I'm broke enough as it is, I shouldn't even be spending money on American published manga. I need a job... Isn't it bad enough I spent $12 on a Guts figure when I don't even have enough pants to wear?
I need to reorganize my priorities...
Honestly though if it weren't for scanlation sites Berserk would be dead to me.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

no contest.
if its for free its for me.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Ah, but in our society we get enough things for free. I try to give back sometimes to the things I really love.
Because $12 on an action figure is more important than things like pants.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

depends on what you buy, sometime you may buy merchandise to support a certain personality. but that personality may not even gain from what you buy.

back to topic, i hear da vinci code is great.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Dont believe every thing you hear :twisted: :roll:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
hokiecsgrad
imanewbie

Post by hokiecsgrad »

I find just about anything by Michel Crichton to be awesome...and by awesome, I mean totally sweet.

Frank Herbert's Dune was really good. It's not exactly light reading, but a good adventure.

Any of the Jack Ryan novels by Tom Clancy...Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Sum of All Fears, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Debt of Honor, Executive Orders, The Bear and the Dragon.

The Harry Potter books don't suck and are quick, but fun reads.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Buzkashi wrote:Unless I had some tite moniter I wouldnt be able to handle reading that much on the comp.

But umm back in the day I read alot of the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony.
Xanth? What its about? Fantasy?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Quest wrote:depends on what you buy, sometime you may buy merchandise to support a certain personality. but that personality may not even gain from what you buy.

back to topic, i hear da vinci code is great.
Yeah, Da vinci code was a good read, one thing about it tough is that some chapters are like only 2 pages which most of the time only say random shit for no reason what-so-ever.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Ever heard of a library?
Haha. Are you starting an argument with the founder of EG?

Anyhow Bradbury and Asimov all the way. Not too much humor in Asimov, but one of the best Sci-Fi cycle. I assume they have the robots and the fundation cycle, the latter being the best IMO.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

Albator wrote:
Ever heard of a library?
Haha. Are you starting an argument with the founder of EG?

Anyhow Bradbury and Asimov all the way. Not too much humor in Asimov, but one of the best Sci-Fi cycle. I assume they have the robots and the fundation cycle, the latter being the best IMO.
is that why he is exempt from the "no long sig" rule?
=)
i was wondering why he got away with that.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I personally love all of Douglas Adams books. Just lovely and humourous.

Phillip Dick's I Dream of Robot Sheep is damned good (Blade Runner), I read it back when I was actually interested in books, but the so called sequel novel to Blade Runner was pretty damned shit (I don't think he wrote it, but I wouldn't touch it). It kind of left a stain on the sacred title.

The Foundation by Issac Asimov. Basically the biggest influence to my life. The Black Sun or something along that title, read that AGES back...about 10 years ago. My first Asimov book. Then later read his Organic Chemistry crap and his other Biochemistry shit.

I do think Da Vinci Code was overrated. It wasn't really well written either.

I also recommend some Neil Gaiman books. Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys. All the obscure and popular myths and legends all rolled up in one book. Neverwhere is plain freaky, but I enjoyed it better than the other two I mentioned.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:I personally love all of Douglas Adams books. Just lovely and humourous.

Phillip Dick's I Dream of Robot Sheep is damned good (Blade Runner), I read it back when I was actually interested in books, but the so called sequel novel to Blade Runner was pretty damned shit (I don't think he wrote it, but I wouldn't touch it). It kind of left a stain on the sacred title.

The Foundation by Issac Asimov. Basically the biggest influence to my life. The Black Sun or something along that title, read that AGES back...about 10 years ago. My first Asimov book. Then later read his Organic Chemistry crap and his other Biochemistry shit.

I do think Da Vinci Code was overrated. It wasn't really well written either.

I also recommend some Neil Gaiman books. Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys. All the obscure and popular myths and legends all rolled up in one book. Neverwhere is plain freaky, but I enjoyed it better than the other two I mentioned.
Phils Dick book is the Blade Runner or you talking about two diffrent books?

Adams and Assimov are my heroes when it comes to books. The Hicthhikers guide changed my look on good books and Asimov made it so its very hard to find any other sci fi book any goood cause you judge them by his book.

Have you read Nemesis by Assimov?

I have saved the last two Foundation books for the summer break, the first day after the school is out, you wont found me outside Foundation world.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Foundation books are divine, and Asimov our Lord.

That is all.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

LordMune wrote:The Foundation books are divine, and Asimov our Lord.

That is all.
too bad robots will break Asimov's first law.

Chuck Palahniuk books are all amazing. Hitchhikers is just plain great, and as everyone has their opinion on it a real page turner are the Dan Brown books. Very simple to read, but take it as fiction, since that is what it really is.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

I split the the thead, can partake in the hate here. Back to books!

That is all.
Quoted for truth.
I also would give a thumbs up to Dune. I'll add to that the Ringworld books (at least the first) plus Heinlein and Stephenson's early books (i.e. Snow Crash or The Diamond Age). Not to say his later ones are bad, quite the opposite; they're just lengthy.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

halfnhalf wrote:

That is all.
too bad robots will break Asimov's first law.

Chuck Palahniuk books are all amazing. Hitchhikers is just plain great, and as everyone has their opinion on it a real page turner are the Dan Brown books. Very simple to read, but take it as fiction, since that is what it really is.
Dan Brown cant write good story, i mean he has these crazy theories than are interesting at start but then the actual story is boring.

Da Vince Code selled only thanks to Da Vince cause many like me thought the book had something to with him but it didnt other seeing things in paintings.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Actually, The Da Vinci Code sold well thanks to the Church making a big deal about it, stirring the cauldron and basically giving it free publicity. They released documentries and various media interviews to refute the facts in the book, and many people like me picked the book up to see what the hell the fuss is about.

Much like the people who sue Dan Brown for plagarism. Their books recieve skyrocket sales, instead of collecting dust in the back shelves because of the publicity.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Still it isnt good for him that most people feel like "what the hell is crap" after reading it.

Man i read alot less books right now cause i read both manga and comics now which gives me less time to read books.

The minus for books right now is that i dont have time to sit down and read a book for a day or two thanks to school.

Lucky for me it is only three weeks left of school.