Afro Samurai isn't Anime

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Man that was soo arrogant post even for you.

People might remember Op,FM you know why? In two big polls on tv and internet the japs voted both OP,FMA into the top 100 anime of all time. Both was in top 20 with some old Gundams and other old animes. There were many animes people over here in the west has even heard about.

I am sure OP or FMA will have the classic status DB,Gundam has in japan in 10-20 years.

Also can i ask what anime you think sucks has to do with this thread and what anime is?

You think all mainstream anime sucks? Then dont watch them. Leave it to us who like them.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

FMA sucks. I'm sorry I just have to say that.
Last edited by Malvado on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Actually, Femto is right.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Libaax wrote:In two big polls on tv and internet the japs voted both OP,FMA into the top 100 anime of all time.
Yeah, and readers of Famitsu voted for FFX as the best game of all time with nearly every other FF game in the top ten.

Current polls don't mean shit, it's just a measure of popularity.

The last anime series I watched completely was FLCL, which was highly recommended by a friend of mine (I didn't think it was that great).

Before that, I dunno, Cowboy Bebop?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Femto wrote:
Libaax wrote:In two big polls on tv and internet the japs voted both OP,FMA into the top 100 anime of all time.
Yeah, and readers of Famitsu voted for FFX as the best game of all time with nearly every other FF game in the top ten.

Current polls don't mean shit, it's just a measure of popularity.
oh my fucking god i was just going to edit my post and say that!J fdgfdsgsugdgfd DAMNIT I HATEYOU FOREVER
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Malvado wrote:oh my fucking god i was just going to edit my post and say that!J fdgfdsgsugdgfd DAMNIT I HATEYOU FOREVER
LordMune loves me and secretly wants to be like me.

Yin and Yang, baby.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Personally I do hope One Piece is remembered. Not for its shitty cash in movies but for its great characters, pirates, and funny eastern mix western pop art style. I like one piece very much(okama way guy, and raindeer are favs).
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Libaax wrote: I am sure OP or FMA will have the classic status DB,Gundam has in japan in 10-20 years.
Maybe. One Piece is so entertaining. Sanji, man. Oh, hey, has anyone seen One Piece on Cartoon Network? If you have, was Sanji smoking? I would be very disappointed if he wasn't. It's part of his identity. And Aesop's rapid stream of lies will no doubt be ruined by English over-dub.

Femto, you have to at least respect FLCL for what it was. Bizarre. Also, did you enjoy Cowboy Bebop? If you did, maybe you should give PlanetES a shot. It's kind of emotional near the end, but it's such a realistic depiction of space and life in space colonies that it's tolerable. Superb animation quality, kick ass characters (Fee), and very relevant themes. It's not really as stylised as Cowboy Bebop, though.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Sanji smokes a lolipop. Do I mind? No, smoking is bad but kicking people in the shins is all good.
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Hahahaha, a lollipop!? Ah, man. I have an affinity with smoking characters, they're always far more unusual - though I guess with One Piece, it's difficult to identify who is more unusual than who.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I normally have a thing against smoking characters. Mainly because I never see cool smokers even those guys in japan aren't cool smokers. Only crack whore chain smokers like my aunt. So "cool" smoker characters piss me off. Sorry to offend any chain smoking crack whores that patrol the forums.

PS. Just a personal bias.
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

There's nothing cooler than knowingly inhaling cancerous smoke to quell the disgruntled. Who would Spike be if he didn't smoke? What about Wolfwood from Trigun? Only half as tragic, twice as mortal. That's no fun!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Watching every movie in the world doesn't make you a film critic.

Your problem is that you can't differentiate between what you like and what is actually good. I don't like Eva but, regardless of that show being good or not, I can't ignore the weight it carries. You think people will remember One Piece or FMA 10, 50 years from now? Of course not. Japan is flooding the animation market with pure garbage but you're incapable of seeing the bigger picture. Only when you blind anime fanboys realize that you're watching the same shit over and over and the market crashes will we start to get good animation from Japan again.

It's like the US and CG films. How many CG movies have come out in the year so far? One? A dozen? Couple dozen? How many of them suck? Nearly all of them.

You obviously love anime so much and have spent so much time on that hobby that you can't see how bad the situation is. Throw me any recent anime show that isn't ridiculously long and I swear I'll watch and I'll tell you why it sucks (because it will).

You of course, will not listen.

lol @ you teaching an anime class.

I wouldn't pay money to see that.
OMG! Excuse me...You know what, fuck you dude. Seriously, I guess I got up in your shit. Feh, you can believe whatever you want man...and truthfully, you make great points. Although, I can tell the difference between bad anime and good anime. I mean, I've seen a lot of trash... That's fine though, I see how it is...though, just so you know...if I was as jaded and as arrogant as you, I'd just go kill myself. I mean, I'm pretty bad, but excuse me for trying to enjoy myself a little, lol.

So, anyway, good luck with all that.

Btw, sorry for the cock waving earlier, I just felt I needed to validate myself for some reason. Yeah, I'm just a spaz like that. I guess it still didn't matter anyway. Feh, I'm just a silly fanboy. :roll:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:OMG! Excuse me...You know what, fuck you dude. Seriously, I guess I got up in your shit. Feh, you can believe whatever you want man...and truthfully, you make great points. Although, I can tell the difference between bad anime and good anime. I mean, I've seen a lot of trash... That's fine though, I see how it is...though, just so you know...if I was as jaded and as arrogant as you, I'd just go kill myself. I mean, I'm pretty bad, but excuse me for trying to enjoy myself a little, lol.

So, anyway, good luck with all that.

Btw, sorry for the cock waving earlier, I just felt I needed to validate myself for some reason. Yeah, I'm just a spaz like that. I guess it still didn't matter anyway. Feh, I'm just a silly fanboy. :roll:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

:OWTH: :twisted:

:P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Everything I said is true, but maybe the teacher comment was out of line so my apologies for that.

The fact of the matter is, anime today is a rip-off from anime that came before it.

Naruto is a kid with bright blond hair, orange and blue clothing, with a bright cheery attitude that likes to fight and has ties to a character from Japanese folklore/mythology.

Sounds familiar?

That's only one of the problems of course, the shows are just bad in general.

It's like they're not even trying anymore.

Then again, they don't really have to because people keep buying the crap anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:LordMune loves me and secretly wants to be like me.

Yin and Yang, baby.
I fail to see how this is relevant (it's not a secret).
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, what’s to try about? You burned the hell out of me with a cynical retort. I shuck my dick, and you shuck harder. Good job. What comes next, I make a witty, yet derogatory insult about your sexuality? Meh, no thanks, it’s already been done before…

Problem is, you just don't get it, but that's okay. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not jaded. Just because something is similar, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a superb formula. What could possible be completely original in this day and age? Heh, and hell, OP doesn't even fit the mold, it's one of the most unique stories ever told, but you wouldn't know anything about that. Will Miyazaki be remembered in 50 years? Well, if so, then so will One Piece, heh. *shrugs*
Last edited by Starnum on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Femto wrote: Naruto is a kid with bright blond hair, orange and blue clothing, with a bright cheery attitude that likes to fight and has ties to a character from Japanese folklore/mythology.

Sounds familiar?
I'm lost. naruto had blue in his outfit?
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

This thread fries neurons like a Foreman barbecue.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Malvado wrote:
Femto wrote: Naruto is a kid with bright blond hair, orange and blue clothing, with a bright cheery attitude that likes to fight and has ties to a character from Japanese folklore/mythology.

Sounds familiar?
I'm lost. naruto had blue in his outfit?
Uh, yeah, originally. He didn't replace it with the black until after the time lapse. O.o
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Problem is, you just don't get it, but that's okay.
Hahahaha.

OK.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Not that you don't get something about anime, but what I'm saying. I just know how to enjoy good anime, that's all. So you're different, good work. I'd rather go watch anime then wallow in my own cynism, and spend my time trying to insult others. Although, it does break up the monotony of general conversation. *shrugs*
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Femto wrote: Watching every movie in the world doesn't make you a film critic.
No, it makes you a film enthusiast. You don't tend to get your good, solid facts from critics, you get it from enthusiasts and historians. Critics just give you bullshit opinions.
Femto wrote: Your problem is that you can't differentiate between what you like and what is actually good.
Your problem is that you claim that you can do this, but the overwhelming evidence thus far shows that you are equally incapable of neutrally observing media and giving unbiased commentary. Mr. pot, while you're talking to the kettle, remind him that you're black too.
Femto wrote: You think people will remember One Piece or FMA 10, 50 years from now?
One Piece? Yes. FMA? Not so much.
Femto wrote: Only when you blind anime fanboys realize that you're watching the same shit over and over and the market crashes will we start to get good animation from Japan again.
Get off your high horse. ******.
Femto wrote: Throw me any recent anime show that isn't ridiculously long and I swear I'll watch and I'll tell you why it sucks (because it will).
This is what we like to call a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're predisposed to dislike recent anime, and that filter will colour everything you watch. Your ingrained determination to prove yourself right will ruin a lot of good anime for you. Since you're the only one really missing out, it's a victimless crime, I'd say.

Sounds familiar?
Most media that tells a story, be it a movie, a television show, a video game, or even a ballad, draws inspiration and often wholesale content from the mythology that has come before. What makes that wrong? Hollywood does it, ABC does it, Squaresoft does it, Metallica does it, what makes you better than any of them? Either you're holding a double standard, or you're just not paying attention. I suppose the third option is that you hate everything that uses inspiration from a previous source, which leaves you lots of room for hatin'.

Overall, I'd say that while you have every right to your incredibly jaded and confrontational opinions, they're not really adding anything, just being destructive. Why not try some constructive opinions?
Last edited by Bengal on Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Bengal wrote:
Femto wrote: Watching every movie in the world doesn't make you a film critic.
No, it makes you a film enthusiast. You don't tend to get your good, solid facts from critics, you get it from enthusiasts and historians. Critics just give you bullshit opinions.
Femto wrote: Your problem is that you can't differentiate between what you like and what is actually good.
Your problem is that you claim that you can do this, but the overwhelming evidence thus far shows that you are equally incapable of neutrally observing media and giving unbiased commentary. Mr. pot, while you're talking to the kettle, remind him that you're black too.
Femto wrote: You think people will remember One Piece or FMA 10, 50 years from now?
One Piece? Yes. FMA? Not so much.
Femto wrote: Only when you blind anime fanboys realize that you're watching the same shit over and over and the market crashes will we start to get good animation from Japan again.
Get off your high horse. Faggot.
Femto wrote: Throw me any recent anime show that isn't ridiculously long and I swear I'll watch and I'll tell you why it sucks (because it will).
This is what we like to call a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're predisposed to dislike recent anime, and that filter will colour everything you watch. Your ingrained determination to prove yourself right will ruin a lot of good anime for you. Since you're the only one really missing out, it's a victimless crime, I'd say.

Sounds familiar?
Most media that tells a story, be it a movie, a television show, a video game, or even a ballad, draws inspiration and often wholesale content from the mythology that has come before. What makes that wrong? Hollywood does it, ABC does it, Squaresoft does it, Metallica does it, what makes you better than any of them? Either you're holding a double standard, or you're just not paying attention. I suppose the third option is that you hate everything that uses inspiration from a previous source, which leaves you lots of room for hatin'.

Overall, I'd say that while you have every right to your incredibly jaded and confrontational opinions, they're not really adding anything, just being destructive. Why not try some constructive opinions?
l.

o.

l.