Afro Samurai isn't Anime

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

See, that's the kind of post you get from a member with an avatar endorsing cigarettes. Smoking characters are cool. Hahaha, ahh... well, I think so. You probably shouldn't call people faggots, though. It's a bit mean.

Fento, I didn't see your challenge! That give me a recent anime and I'll prove it sucks, one. If I had've seen that, I wouldn't have beat around the bush in recommending PlanetES, I would have instead thrown it into the arena to have it challenged.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Starnum wrote:
Malvado wrote:
Femto wrote: Naruto is a kid with bright blond hair, orange and blue clothing, with a bright cheery attitude that likes to fight and has ties to a character from Japanese folklore/mythology.

Sounds familiar?
I'm lost. naruto had blue in his outfit?
Uh, yeah, originally. He didn't replace it with the black until after the time lapse. O.o

Oh haha, i just had to open up my files. under the white fluffy collar and the waist(not including headband and shoes) are blue. ok. so who is he ripping off again?

Oh and i didn't call anybody faggots, Lungs. If that was aimed at me or something.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

See, that's what happens. Don't make shit, I guess, l.0.l.
Feh, likes it's hard to pick on Naruto. :roll:
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Starnum wrote:Feh, likes it's hard to pick on Naruto. :roll: [/color]
Like that shit represent anime and manga these days.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Not at all. It's breed too many Narutards for it's own good.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Libaax wrote: People might remember Op,FM you know why? In two big polls on tv and internet the japs voted both OP,FMA into the top 100 anime of all time.
What poll was this? Cowboy Bebop has been voted within the top 5, same with Gundam Seed etc. Just because it's in the top 5 now does not guarantee it's spot 10 years down the road, it may even lower. Secondly, DBZ was the -precursor- the One Piece, just like it was for Naruto, Bleach, and countless other Shonen titles. It is highly possible that those shows will recieve some classic status in the future, but I doubt they (and other shows like Inu Yasha) will be something that spawns future anime innovations.

As for Fuji, I'm old-fashioned about many a thing. Again, I respect your definition of it, but mine (and quite a few "Japanese" (specificing) people I've known in my life did not find it remotely offensive or act like I was treating them as furniture (maybe it's just cause they know my "old-fashioness" vs modern terminology?) so again, I doubt it's something that's going to change from my use of the word and its intent, as I have many definitions of people and cultures that differ from regular ideals.

I'm going to somewhat defend Femto on this (egads) but it just reminds me of all the countless times people dismiss the influence of Berserk on Final Fantasy (Namely VII, Tactics and X) as "coincendence" because they want to believe so feverishly Tetsuya Nomura is god incarnate and 100% original, no matter how many times I put right in front of them where Yoshinori Kitase admits to being a huge fan of Berserk for influence, but eh, what can you tell people these days.

Not in your case, and you even mentioned this, but imo the Naruto fanbase mirrors that of Squaresoft and the other sources you listed, ignorant, dumb-founded, and damned to be told their work cannot be compared with another (some downright proclaim hate for DBZ, yet love Naruto, the hypocrisy). Aka, the Narutards.

As for what represents anime, I don't really care. I enjoyed Naruto, maybe not loved it, but I didn't think it was bad at all. Femto is being a little prejudging on the context a short anime can be suckitude, if anything I find this kinda contradicting (or maybe I misunderstand), because a lot of my personal favorite series are in the 13-26 episode range.

As for the subject, the Japanese identify all forms of animation as "anime", so yeah, its just the western "opinions" on Japanimation that is up for debate here really, not "anime".
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I can't say I disagree with you, but I'm not sure if I'd class OP and Naruto together. Your points are pretty grounded, I'd say. I'm not sure everything you said, but it sounded fine to me, heh. I enjoyed Naruto myself, but feel it waned recently. Perhaps a comeback? In anycase, I agree with your fundamentals, so that's good.

One Piece is revelutionary, like DBZ. Bleach, and even more so with Naruto, are famous for different reasons. They'll be remembered differently than One Piece, I believe. More like Inuyasha, I'd say, but it seems different with really good stuff like Berserk, or maybe it's just me. Heh, and those who hate one and like the other are a bit weird. I mean, I like them all, really. The only stuff I don't like, is the more generic stuff. I'm a fan, but it's not all good. *shrugs*

Yeah, uh, you played VP2 yet...?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:
Libaax wrote:In two big polls on tv and internet the japs voted both OP,FMA into the top 100 anime of all time.
Yeah, and readers of Famitsu voted for FFX as the best game of all time with nearly every other FF game in the top ten.

Current polls don't mean shit, it's just a measure of popularity.

The last anime series I watched completely was FLCL, which was highly recommended by a friend of mine (I didn't think it was that great).

Before that, I dunno, Cowboy Bebop?
Its the popular series people remember ;) Think about how many 70's,80's anime that does people remember? Gundam? Akira? why? Cause they were huge in thier days.

Also forget about that what has anime sucks to do with this thread?

You know alot about how much anime sucks for a guy that doesnt even watch them as you say yourself.

NOW this thread should be locked, it went from talking calmy about what anime is to Femto talking about much anime sucks.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

To get back on topic, let me posit that Femto is not anime.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Tactics is a Matsuno game with art from Yoshida and Minagawa. I'm supposing you mentioned tactics because it has artifacts that turn some people into monsters(zodiac braves). I see where you are coming from but I am also sure shit like that has happened for thousands of years.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Bengal wrote:To get back on topic, let me posit that Femto is not anime.
It's really quite amusing to see me bashing (for lack of a better word) on anime when my own username is based on an anime character.

At least I'm assuming it is.

This thread has gone completely beyond my control.

I don't even know what people are talking about anymore.

Then again, I haven't really read any posts after my last one.

Hey Mune, remember when I said in that chat thread that I was going to work?

I just got back right now.

OMG!

I don't even know what I'm doing here.

Fuck y'all!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Fuck y'all!
You wish.

I was thinking about your name, Femto. It is funny that it's from a manga. Not only that, but the name is used mostly, during the section of the manga you like the least. Mostly post-eclipse I believe. It's a little ironic.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Not only that, but the name is used mostly, during the section of the manga you like the least. Mostly post-eclipse I believe. It's a little ironic. [/color]
Not really.

We don't even see Femto at all after the Eclipse, and his shining moment is the Eclipse itself. The whole Golden Age arc is a build-up of Griffith turning into Femto so yeah, I'd associate Femto with volumes 1-13 rather than the rest.

I picked that name completely and absolutely on a whim anyway.

"Hey, here's a Berserk forum... I'll join and call myself... uh... Femto, I guess."

I may not have even read the rest of the manga by the time I joined, but I don't remember anymore.

More importantly, my opinion of anime in general has degraded tremendously over the years.

That sort of thing happens when you actually study animation, I guess, you start to realize how much more the medium can be pushed.

Also, to respond to Libaax, I may not have watched a complete anime series since FLCL (which I only watched like a year ago), but I do catch random episodes of stuff on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and it just makes matters worse. The last anime I spent bandwidth on was the first Witchblade episode.

Never again, I said after that.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

So you watch random episodes of random animes and watched the first episode of Witchblade, one of the most piece of shit animes ever made and suddently all animes suck?

You can do a whole lot than that, Femto.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Deathbringer wrote:So you watch random episodes of random animes and watched the first episode of Witchblade, one of the most piece of shit animes ever made and suddently all animes suck?
Yeah man, that's exactly it.

Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Femto wrote:Yeah man, that's exactly it.

You understood that?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Bengal wrote:
Femto wrote: Watching every movie in the world doesn't make you a film critic.
No, it makes you a film enthusiast. You don't tend to get your good, solid facts from critics, you get it from enthusiasts and historians. Critics just give you bullshit opinions.
Femto wrote: Your problem is that you can't differentiate between what you like and what is actually good.
Your problem is that you claim that you can do this, but the overwhelming evidence thus far shows that you are equally incapable of neutrally observing media and giving unbiased commentary. Mr. pot, while you're talking to the kettle, remind him that you're black too.
Femto wrote: You think people will remember One Piece or FMA 10, 50 years from now?
One Piece? Yes. FMA? Not so much.
Femto wrote: Only when you blind anime fanboys realize that you're watching the same shit over and over and the market crashes will we start to get good animation from Japan again.
Get off your high horse. ******.
Femto wrote: Throw me any recent anime show that isn't ridiculously long and I swear I'll watch and I'll tell you why it sucks (because it will).
This is what we like to call a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're predisposed to dislike recent anime, and that filter will colour everything you watch. Your ingrained determination to prove yourself right will ruin a lot of good anime for you. Since you're the only one really missing out, it's a victimless crime, I'd say.
Femto wrote: Naruto is a kid with bright blond hair, orange and blue clothing, with a bright cheery attitude that likes to fight and has ties to a character from Japanese folklore/mythology.

Sounds familiar?
Most media that tells a story, be it a movie, a television show, a video game, or even a ballad, draws inspiration and often wholesale content from the mythology that has come before. What makes that wrong? Hollywood does it, ABC does it, Squaresoft does it, Metallica does it, what makes you better than any of them? Either you're holding a double standard, or you're just not paying attention. I suppose the third option is that you hate everything that uses inspiration from a previous source, which leaves you lots of room for hatin'.

Overall, I'd say that while you have every right to your incredibly jaded and confrontational opinions, they're not really adding anything, just being destructive. Why not try some constructive opinions?
I'd just like to add that I never read this post and that quoting single, out of context sentences is complete and utter stupidity.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Deathbringer wrote:So you watch random episodes of random animes and watched the first episode of Witchblade, one of the most piece of shit animes ever made and suddently all animes suck?

You can do a whole lot than that, Femto.

Word!

That was what i was thinking when i read his posts.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, FLCL is only like six episodes long.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum wrote:Heh, FLCL is only like six episodes long.
It only needs to be 6 episodes long, best damn anime... ever. Thank you Gainax, my gods of anime!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

psi29a wrote:
It only needs to be 6 episodes long, best damn anime... ever. Thank you Gainax, my gods of anime!
GunBuster is slightly better. (Also Gainax)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:
Aw, I don't know about it being the best. However, there's nothing wrong with its length.
Femto wrote:I may not have watched a complete anime series since FLCL (which I only watched like a year ago), but I do catch random episodes of stuff on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and it just makes matters worse. The last anime I spent bandwidth on was the first Witchblade episode.
This statement was just kind of funny to me, because while FLCL is a complete series, it's not even quite a fourth of a full season long. Not that an anime needs to be 26 episodes long, or anything silly like that, to be good. It just seemed funny when mentioning complete series. Heh, maybe it was just me. Oh yeah, and I really don't see how anyone can get a good grasp for a show's story, if they only watch random episodes every now and then. That's like reading a couple of chapters in a novel, and then trying to judge the whole book, let alone the whole genre, by that small amount. It doesn't seem like the best way to give a critique, or the most trustworthy, is all I'm saying. It seems a little hasty to me, but meh, to each their own.
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Femto wrote:
I'd just like to add that I never read this post and that quoting single, out of context sentences is complete and utter stupidity.
I did my best to fully encompass all your salient points, without pulling anything out of context. That you didn't bother to read it suggests that you weren't prepared to defend your positions, and instead were just spouting off to be heard, like a child.

Anyone who wants to base their opinion of anime based on random episodes viewed on Cartoon Network needs to seriously re-evaluate their sources. You'd be better off basing your opinions of action figures on the Fisher Price catalogue.

FLCL was interesting to watch, but it falls considerably short of "Best Anime Ever."

So which part of One Piece doesn't rise up to your standards? The guy who is always inexplicably chewing on a sucker? Or the way that nobody ever bleeds? Perhaps it's the supremely emotive english voice cast, that always manages to convey the deep and heartwrenching emotions that the characters are feeling?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Bengal wrote:So which part of One Piece doesn't rise up to your standards? The guy who is always inexplicably chewing on a sucker? Or the way that nobody ever bleeds? Perhaps it's the supremely emotive english voice cast, that always manages to convey the deep and heartwrenching emotions that the characters are feeling?
Personally, it's the standardized shounen overemotional flashbacks and repetitive formula that keeps me from enjoying One Piece thoroughly.

Then again, I'm not Femto.

Not yet.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Bengal wrote:Perhaps it's the supremely emotive english voice cast, that always manages to convey the deep and heartwrenching emotions that the characters are feeling?
They are awesome aren't they?! That italian accent thingy fits everytime!