Welcome to the new forums!

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Re: Welcome to the new forums!

Post by psi29a »

Thanks much for the praise, we are not done yet.

Major thanks to LordMune for the updated images. We are slowly swapping out the craptastic white nastiness.

I found some minor flaws I will fix later involving subject/search box input being dark blue and unreadable, I'm all over that. Also, if you avatar is messed up, then goto your control panel (UCP) and input in the dimensions of your avatar and that should fix it.

Also, please remember to update your birthdays! Those did not transfer, and I'm not sure if I can manually update them (but I will try tonight).
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Nice lay out, I dont care much for other stuff, except for youtube thingy. But I rly dont get used to the fact that all avs and info are on the right... Still, nice work and keep improving:P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well it aint pretty to tell the truth. I dont care about that, its little wierd though and i dont mean the avatar thing or even the grey color but the posts, qoutes,view new post thing looks is alittle annoying.

I hope it gets better like the last time. I liked the last look and systems of thing alot better and since i dont know the reason for the change its hard to tell why you fixed something that wasnt broken.

I hope i get used to it fast.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Status update:

I couldn't help myself, I've already started hacking some of the phpBB3's code to fix what I saw to be an issue with style.php file. Turns out that all the styles are generated dynamically and cached by phpBB3. So when you make a request, it spits back a 70KB file EACH time you click on something in the forums. Not only does that eat up my bandwidth, it also causes the site to take longer to load.

I've fixed this by writing my own compiler that strips out the whitespaces, comments, and line breaks. Then it passes it to a compression routine that squeezes it. So your browser only has to download 10KB each time instead and hopefully it caches it as well so it isn't every single time.

The time should be noticeable on your end as I've shaved off about 550ms (half a second) in load time and I'm on 100mbit connection to the world so this will be a drastic improvement with those on crappier connections.

I plan updating more of the icons/images as time allows and lordmune's patience holds out :D

Libaax: complaints are dully noted and I agree 100% as those images need to go. If you would like to help out and create new ones that we can use, we would greatly appreciate it.

As for the reason for the change, phpBB2 was kind old and broken and hobbled along well enough. phpBB3 offers many things that has convinced me to upgrade in the first place. The real trick is making a theme for it which we are slowly working on. I wasn't really satisfied with the last template though.

Also, I understand that some of you are anti-dark themes, sorry but thems the breaks. We can't please everyone so someone has to suffer. :P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its not really a problem its just that you are so used the last theme cause it was in use for a long time.

Me i am not anti-dark themes, i loved those ;) The best thing about the last template was it was dark blue.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Libaax wrote:Its not really a problem its just that you are so used the last theme cause it was in use for a long time.

Me i am not anti-dark themes, i loved those ;) The best thing about the last template was it was dark blue.
Unfortunately, the last theme (using phpBB2) is incompatible with the new forum (phpBB3) so I made the decision to make one based off the phpBB3 default design. So far no themes or templates exist for phpBB3 (its just to new) either for free or for pay, so we have to make it ourselves. So by all means help out! :D

BTW: this template/design is actually smaller in size (KB) than the previous theme, believe it or not. The reason for this is because of he heavy use of CSS, double sided images, and no more tables (its all divs baby) which makes for a faster loading site.

Also, I managed to rescue the birthdays, some 350+ of you had it set and I brought it over from the old forum data, hazzuh!
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Looking pretty good.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yep, our board believes in evolution too. Things will get better. ;)

If humans can evolve, will we someday have super powers, like in Heroes? :P
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum wrote:Yep, our board believes in evolution too. Things will get better. ;)

If humans can evolve, will we someday have super powers, like in Heroes? :P
Masterei would have us believe that too. I unfortunately am a skeptic when it comes to with playing fast and loose with physics. :D
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

psi29a wrote:
Libaax wrote:Its not really a problem its just that you are so used the last theme cause it was in use for a long time.

Unfortunately, the last theme (using phpBB2) is incompatible with the new forum (phpBB3) so I made the decision to make one based off the phpBB3 default design. So far no themes or templates exist for phpBB3 (its just to new) either for free or for pay, so we have to make it ourselves. So by all means help out! :D

BTW: this template/design is actually smaller in size (KB) than the previous theme, believe it or not. The reason for this is because of he heavy use of CSS, double sided images, and no more tables (its all divs baby) which makes for a faster loading site.

Also, I managed to rescue the birthdays, some 350+ of you had it set and I brought it over from the old forum data, hazzuh!
Well done! Not that i know a phpBB2 from a phpBB3 :lol:

A funny thing im already used to this new style.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Right, so I got our gvideo and youtube bbcodes working again! 8)

Things are coming right along.

One caveat is that instead of the URL, you need to use the ID of the video like below:

Right, so I have youtube and gvideo working again, but it is a little different now. Instead of the full URL, you just use the video's ID and that's it. Pretty simple but all the previous youtube posts will look wack.

youtube bbcode:

Code: Select all

[youtube]AlPqL7IUT6M[/youtube]
google video bbcode:

[gvideo]3891165729134783717[/gvideo]
And you will get something like this:
[gvideo]3891165729134783717[/gvideo]
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Killin' da white-matted icons one pixel at a time!
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

The new forum is great. The flow between sections is quick and smooth with very little load. The only thing I noticed that may be an issue is that the threads seem very cluttered and difficult to tell apart.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh shi- I'm lovin it.
TrueRush
imanewbie

Post by TrueRush »

yes this one is much better than anything the last design had. good job!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

OK, a much requested spoiler bbcode has been added!

This is how it works, you wrap your spoiler in the tag like below:

[spoiler]this is a spoiler![/spoiler]
And it will make the background and the text a single color, to change the color just move your mouse over it and viola, spoiler is reveled. This is a quick/elegant hack, I'm sure there are button pushing solutions but frankly I think those are crazy. Anywho, Feel free to test it out.

Example:

So, you know how much you like Aeris in FF7? [spoiler]Well, she dies even before the end of the first disk![/spoiler] What the fuck is up with that? I mean come on! I just got her to her 4th limit break.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Cool shit.