Berserk Chapter: 278

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Wee, great chapter, great work by EG and again, one of the best quotes ever.

"Goodness, he seems to have gotten up solely for the sake of talking trash"
Now that's what I call priorities.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

Thanks EG :thumbsup:

Excellent chapter as usual, those Zodd/Guts dialogues make me all hot :headbang:
Wib
imanewbie

I do love you.

Post by Wib »

Love Love Operation!!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, well I’m glad you guys liked it. I’m sure I speak for the whole team when I say your thanks are appreciated. I was really glad to see the team getting ready to set sail. A couple of things were mentioned in earlier posts that I’ll take a second to address. For one, I don’t think it was inappropriate for the rest of the crew to stick up for Gatts at all. They’re a team, heck, you could even say they’re like family at this point (Well not Roderick and Manifico). Gatts the lone berserker is in the past. It’s important for plot and characters to develop, and that’s what has happened, and I think this is a good thing. I too think that Serpico was also trying to watch out for Gatts, and not just Farnese. He too has developed, after all. I think he’s beginning to realize he can trust Gatts. As for Griffith’s expression as he watched them sail away, I don’t think it was so much pertaining to him owning Gatts. I think it’s a bit harder to explain in words than that. I also don’t think it was “The Look of the Hawk” either. It wasn’t intense enough. Compare that look to the one he shoots Julius back in the Golden Age and you’ll see what I mean. Normally when he gives the look I think you’re referring too, his eyes are open wider. Besides, that look means, “I’m going to kill you!” Like the look a hawk gives its prey. That wasn’t the feeling I got from the look at the end of this chapter. It seemed more nostalgic to me then that *shrugs*. Oh, and as for the bit about his right eye opening, I went and checked it out, and I can see how one might think that, but of course that’s not possible. Obviously he has no right eye, so if he did open it, there’d be nothing there. Besides, he’s just closing his left eye, which is show open in the panel right above the one where it’s closing. ;)
absofflab
imanewbie

Post by absofflab »

Thanks guys! This was a very pleasant surprise to come home to :D.

As for the episode itself - I really loved it. Especially the moments that Guts had with both Zodd and Griffith. Those interactions were perfectly depicted, and perfectly in character for all involved. There really seems to be no small amount of respect that Zodd has for Guts, which just really makes me want to see them become friends all that much more. And that look that Griffith gives to Guts at the end really didn't look malevolent at all. I do believe it's nostalgia, and it also looks like the expression Griffith had back in the Golden Age during his unguarded moments with Guts (whenever he spoke to Guts of his doubts). I also wonder if any of it is coming from Guts' and Casca's child's feelings for its parents.

There's definitely something to be said of Miura's mastery of drawing facial expressions. Guts' face, and especially his eye, went from enraged to defiant to surprised to conceding to bemused, all in the span of a couple of pages. And Zodd's face, despite being a minotaur's, also showed all those nuances of facial expression too.

Damn, do I ever love Berserk. Thanks again guys!
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

w00t!!

Btw, Zodd having sense of honour? Naaaaah not as much as you guys think, he just wants to have a good fight, knowing that gutz is injured, he let him be. But yea, at least he didn't eat up serpico & co.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well if he didnt have honor he would eat Guts and co while Guts is too hurt to fight back.

Thanks for the chapter!!

A great chapter that actually moved forward the story.

Looking forward to next chapter now that we know they have left and not stuck in the city anymore.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

thx for the great release EG
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
nimrod
notanewb

Post by nimrod »

thanks made my day :D
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

With the long journey can we expect a time jump? Them on the ocean isnt' a great story although we could have some interesting dialog. It just reminds me of the time jump thing that happened after Guts first got and used the armor. Its just a good time for it. Especially with the group being out of touch with the island and going towards elfheim...

I'd welcome a small time jump like a month or two for Guts and co to heal and train some... I imagine we'll see Isidoro training with azan? It would be fun.
malice
imanewbie

Post by malice »

I imagine that miura may choose to concentrate on what Griffith does in the next month instead since he should still be waging war on the Kushans as well as taking over/manipulating the church.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Devil_Dante wrote:w00t!!

Btw, Zodd having sense of honour? Naaaaah not as much as you guys think, he just wants to have a good fight, knowing that gutz is injured, he let him be. But yea, at least he didn't eat up serpico & co.
That's a part of being honorable you see. Not kicking your opponent while he's down, and what-not. However, of course he wants to fight Gatts at his best. Also, it's pretty honorable of him to not kill everyone else either.
malice wrote:I imagine that miura may choose to concentrate on what Griffith does in the next month instead since he should still be waging war on the Kushans as well as taking over/manipulating the church.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Thanks for every thing EG.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

I know there's no eye there....but can't I dream? ^_^ I know it would ruin the image of guts sort of....but still it looked it. And with the page with griffith's look I was thinking maybe he healed him somehow just to piss Guts off. All the damn magic in berserk and not even a damned God Hand can heal an eye!!! Porque!?!! I just like the thought of Guts getting his eye back, I wonder if he would be more powerful or not?
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

He would see easier but not get stronger. He has been like this a long time that he knows how to fight with it.

Guts bad eye is one of my fav parts of Guts. It showes his lifestyle, being in so many battles,showes how bad ass he is.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
malice
imanewbie

Post by malice »

TheDrizzit wrote:I know there's no eye there....but can't I dream? ^_^ I know it would ruin the image of guts sort of....but still it looked it. And with the page with griffith's look I was thinking maybe he healed him somehow just to piss Guts off. All the damn magic in berserk and not even a damned God Hand can heal an eye!!! Porque!?!! I just like the thought of Guts getting his eye back, I wonder if he would be more powerful or not?
Well, it would help his depth perception somewhat, so I am guessing he would become a bit better fighter. However the loss of the eye has never seemed to hold him back in fights before.
Phoenix
Mastered PM

Post by Phoenix »

Bah, he already has another "eye". That patch of white hair above it. Granted, it doesn't give him depth perception, but still.

Well, I was quite off the mark. Zodd isn't even wounded. That's a load off my mind XD

I don't know, I interpreted Griffith's look as an "I'm still watching you". It's like he rode to the field solely out of spite.

Also, is it just me, or the more you stare at Griffith's eyes, they get creepier and creepier?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks a lot for a really great chapter, E.G. This really makes my day.

I was glad to see that my previous theory was right, and Zodd did end up protecting Guts from all the other Apostles. It was also cool how Zodd challenged him just to see if he had the will power to still stand up, and him getting up just to, as Serpico put it, "trash talk" was hillarious. Overall, this was just a great chapter.
Well, it would help his depth perception somewhat, so I am guessing he would become a bit better fighter. However the loss of the eye has never seemed to hold him back in fights before.
With the kind of sword and tactics he uses, depth perception doesn't even matter. It ought to matter somewhat when he uses the crossbow, but he seems to manage just fine without an eye.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

How many times does he actually use the crossbow, dragonslayer is the only thing he uses to kill apostles.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I don´t think that Guts is much more wiser even at this point after all the battles that he´s been through.
Just see how he reacted in this chapter just after Serpico and the rest of the group entered the fray; Guts is there, lying on the ground and half dead as usual, Zodd teases him to end their fight and Guts despite being completely trashed gets up and started to respond to his challenge, that untill Serpico came and began to cool the mood and even then he was thinking it over, only when he saw Casca scared at Zodd he really stoped.

He´s gotten softer with them that´s true, but he´s still Guts, and the bomb can go out at any time.
lock
imanewbie

Post by lock »

One other thing that might be note worthy is that Zodd said Guts and his party should not be harmed. Does that mean that all the creatures under Griffiths command, obey Zodd? Or do they fear him enough, knowing that Zodd would kill everything without fail if they do choice to attack Guts? Or was it actually Griffith who gave the order that Guts should not be harmed? I mean Zodd controlling a large portion of the forces doesn't suprise me. But he only said it against one creature and after that they were left alone by ALL creatures under griffiths command.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Thankie for the chapter, I wonder if serpico would even stand a chance at all vs zodd.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

Damien wrote:Thankie for the chapter, I wonder if serpico would even stand a chance at all vs zodd.
my guess would be pretty much no. Gut didn't use the cannon or arrows or knives against Serpico either time and I believe serpico mentioned that in their last duel. I could be wrong its been a while since I read that chapter.

If Guts fought with all heart and arsenal as he would against zodd (they're shown mostly even but with zodd being above) and especially on even ground without a chance for serpico to plan then I think he'd die after a few dodges and maybe a wound or two on zodd...He might stalemate the human forum... but even then I doubt it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Phoenix wrote:I don't know, I interpreted Griffith's look as an "I'm still watching you".
Yeah, I can totally see that.
lock wrote:Does that mean that all the creatures under Griffiths command, obey Zodd?
It's probably a little of both fear and respect. I mean, Zodd is probably like the highest ranking officer in the Neo Band of the Hawk. Plus, they know that if they disobey him, he could easily rip them to shreds, the lesser apostles that is. I mean, look at what he did to Wylde. I'm sure he'd wouldn't hesitate to annihilate an insubordinate peon apostle.
Damien wrote:I wonder if serpico would even stand a chance at all vs zodd.
I doubt it. Maybe if he had time to study him and plan something, but otherwise I can't see him doing too much against him.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Come on study him?....

Against Zodd you have to be a monster like Guts who is almost above human strenght level.

Whats tactics if you dont the power to back it up.

He didnt have a chance against Guts who was handicaped in close qaurters what makes you think Zodd wont just rip his head off.