Suikoden V

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Suikoden V

Post by Starnum »

This game kicks so much ass! Seriously, for RPG lovers, this is a must have. I'm only about seven hours into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my new favorite game. The voice acting is superb. They brought back the skill system from 3. The characters are SO well developed. The plot is extremely intriguing. The duels are detailed and better than ever. As far as graphics go, I think it's very pretty, and looks better than any of its predecessors. Oh, and I hear the military battles are done REALLY well. This game definitely makes up for the disappointment of 4, so go buy it already! ;)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Never played any of them, would I be able to pick it up without having to play the others??

PS is this the game with like over a hundred characters??
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I was pretty underwhelmed by S5. You have to be a RPG nut case to really dig this game. Suikoden 2 is still the best Suikoden.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Sandman wrote:Never played any of them, would I be able to pick it up without having to play the others??

PS is this the game with like over a hundred characters??
WTF get the Suikodens or stop playing any rpg, but dont play 4, really dont play it I mean it real bad or you might shit in your pants, sucks so much my gawd!

You could pick up, but some of the fun would be taken off since there are many things related to the other games like returning characters.

Yes its the game with 108+ characters and that makes it even more interesting. The point of the game is to get all 108 characters to get the best ending.

Is there a bonus if you load the saved complete game of S4 in this one?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ayanami wrote:I was pretty underwhelmed by S5. You have to be a RPG nut case to really dig this game. Suikoden 2 is still the best Suikoden.
Wait a minute...what? You don't like this game? How much of it have you played? Seeing as how it just came out, I can't imagine much. I'm about 20 hours into it now, and I'm thinking THIS is the best Suikoden. Are you sure you're not thinking of 4 or something? You don't have to be a nut case to like this game, you just need to like RPG's period. Sure, it may not be as graphically pleasing as FF or anything, but it kicks every other RPG's ass in nearly all the other categories, especially plot and character development, IMO anyway. I'm totally confused by your post Ayanami. Any Suikoden fan should be able to tell how awesome this game is. Besides, if you didn't play up to the "invasion", then you're definitely cheating yourself out of an amazing game.

As for picking the game up without playing the others, that should be fine. This game actually takes place a few years before the first game, so you should be fine. Although, having played the other games helps.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have played every Suikoden at least for a couple of hours or so. (I beat one and two, I played three for at least 5 or so hours.) And to tell ya the truth, the Suikodens bore me except for 1 and 2. Screw Suikoden and get DQVIII and the Shin Megami Tensei games. Those are the RPGs to beat on PS2. From what I have heard Star Ocean is sweet as well, I got it, but I have not played it yet....

As for the whole FF thing. I don't care that Suikoden does not look as good as FF, I hate FF from 7 and up. I can live with out the extra detail, but the color is what kills me. Suikoden 2 had a ton of color in the game and it kinda made it come alive you know. With every new Suikoden done in 3D, it seems to me that it has this lack of color and just very lifeless look to the game. Maybe I am going crazy but that is what it seems to me. But graphics aside, the Suikodens do not have great battle systems to get a non RPG fan to play it. This is for RPG fans pretty much as far as I can see.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, I see. Well, if you're not a big RPG fan, than that's understandable. Any Suikoden fan worth his salt needs to play through this game though. I still have to say if you haven't played up until the "invasion", then you haven't played enough of the game, to get a true understanding of how awesome it is. That's fine though, to each their own. *shrugs*

As for the color issue, I'm inclined to disagree with you. I mean, 4 was definitely dull looking, but I think 5 can be very vivid at times. If you only played through the Lordlake section, at the beginning of the game, remember that that area is very dry, and thus they make it look so bland on purpose. There are lots of beautiful colors and scenery in other places, such as the wonderful sparkling waters of the Feitas River. This is all just my opinion though. Granted, aside from the uniqueness of the runes, the battle systems in Suikoden never have been too flashy. Although, I really love how you get your own base, and recruiting all the different stars is great. There are lots of unique features in this series. All that aside, let's get to the most important part of all RPG's, the plot. IMO, this is turning out to be the best Suikoden plot to date. Then again, I'm a sucker for political intrigue, and crazy ass plot twists. ;)