Berserk Chapter: 269

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Skullkracker wrote:If nothing else comes up, then Farnaze's brother and the other fag will loot it

Ah hahaha, I fell of my chair when I read that. :kekeke:

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The armor has no mind, so I don't think it's trying to overtake him. I think the owner shapes and control the armor, but Gatts don't know how to do that yet. So, when he need it, it 'takes control'. Kind of like when you have an adrenalin surge. I think he might be able to control the armor, but for sure, that is in a far away moment.
I agree it doesn't have a mind, but I think that it is trying to overtake him. The way I see it, the purpose of the armor is to make the person the best warrior they can be, and to do that the dwarves made it so the armor releases certain of the bodies' chemicals that totally surpress pain. These chemicals also have the effect of making the person what we would call "berserk". This can happen naturally, a person becoming so lost to rage that they see to feel pain and can release all of their bodies power, but the armor does that artificially. So the way I see it, the armor is always trying to do this (that's its job, the purpose for which it was created, after all) and Guts has to continually work at surpressing it. The problem is when Guts enters combat, if the battle is fierce he tends to start to enter such a state on his own (like he did back before he rejoined Caska), though to a lesser degree. This naturally makes it much more difficult to restrain the armor from doing its job. So yes, it does seem to continually try to overtake him, but it does so mindlessly. The shape of the armor is given to it by Guts inner mind (how he sees that part of himself) not by the armor itself, because it has no mind of its own to do the shaping.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

So the armor cant be reasoned with... so it has to all come from Guts uhu.... well what he is going to need is will power like someone with a split personality.... Guts talking to his Berserker Armor "I am in control, now surround me with your raging furry and dont feast on my body while I am working... oh owe... we need to work on our symbiotic relationship so you not take my humanity and shit, you fucking parasite"
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
SONGSAN
imanewbie

Post by SONGSAN »

OK, a little more of my 2 cents. What led me to believe it's

different this time is a simple fact that the helmet comes up BEFORE not

in the middle of a fight when Guts was hurt or got outraged. IMO

there's still plenty of room for the armour subplot to go besides

activating/deactivating. What got Guts through his early years in

those uncountable battles was his survival instinct and pure rage.

What this armour forces him to learn right now is self control. It

is pretty obvious that these herds after herds of inferior enemies

we're facing are for 'educational purpose'. Surely there are

nastier ones ahead.

As for Schierke being trapped inside Guts, don't think she could remain in

forever otherwise they will have to carry her unconscious body

throughout the journey. Wait, THAT could be Isidro's dream task,

eh? :D

Cheers, SONG
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I don't speculate I anticipate.

I wish I had the will power to just stop reading Berserk for a year so I can actually sit down and spend time to read a volume or 2.
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

SONGSAN wrote: It

is pretty obvious that these herds after herds of inferior enemies

we're facing are for 'educational purpose'.
or to waste time...In the beginning Berserk seemed to have minimal to no filler plots but it seems like he is dragging out story points unnecesarily.

more chapters=more mulah
:wink:
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

One thing to consider when talking about "Endless fodder enemies to draw out the story and buy time" is our perception. I first got Berserk last year and read from Volume 1 to 28 in like three days and now I have to wait for a chapter every 2-3 weeks. That makes me kind of mad, and I am ready to eat up every bit I can get ASAP. That changes how you read and percieve each chapter and volume. I mean look at the big fight on Albion tower, that lasted about a volume and a half. (All of volume 20 and like half of 21 abouts). The fights during the Lost Children story went on for about the same length (Volume 15 and half of 16 or so) So if we assume that Volume 30 is about where the big battle with the Kushan invasion, the length of the fight really is nothing new. We're just feeling it drag since we are getting this only one chapter at a time. I will admit though some of the chapters have been a little disapointing with with content, action and plot movement IMHO, but the fight length and whatnot is nothing really suprising.
ImageImage
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, I see Mystic. When you say it like that I'm more inclined to agree with you on the armor. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The armour might not have a mind but to me it seems like some kind of being that wants to feed on Guts feelings. Maybe it can only survive when the armour is used fully.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

it doesn' matter anymore, 'cause witch girl's flying the ship now :P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

It didnt look like she was in control.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

duh, you can't control Guts just like that (OK, I know it's stupid)

but how cool it would be if the gang had to escape through the burning alleys from the rampaging Guts in the next chapter
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

She dont have to control Guts,she can try to lessen the control of the armour has on Guts in this state.

Hehe that would be cool.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

but how cool it would be if the gang had to escape through the burning alleys from the rampaging Guts in the next chapter
That would be cool alright, the only problem I see is that Guts would kill them in short order. With the armor fully activated, he's much faster then them. And I doubt Guts sanity could survive if he was the one to kill his new "family". It was strained enough by Griffith killing his old one. An insane Guts would just be sad.
paulino
imanewbie

Post by paulino »

i really dont think that guts will kill them. Well maybe in the futre, but not yet, we have yet to see more character development, and the full extent of how that little witch girl can grow her power.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I would really rather not have that happen.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Why not? I mean, Guts is good, yeah, but it's not like even he could take on an entire army of apostles by himself, even with the Berserk Armor. So it's obvious he's going to have to get help from somewhere, and the witch works better then most other choices I can think of.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. Schierke's magic is nothing to shake a stick at. ;)
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

it would still suck if everyone else became totally useless, and just stick around for jawdropping and lame dialogues
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Why are you saying if? If???

They have been useless to him for a long time now.

Shiercke is the only one useful to him. She is atleast powerful and she can bring him back from the armour control.

Even Serpico is useless,his lame windy power wont do anything against an apostle while the witchs power might hurt an apostle.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Serpico isnt useless. When he fought Guts the first time he wasn't some easy opponent. He might not have the destructive power of Guts but he's still not one without any capacities.

I think he could help to kill apostles, or at least give a hand in keeping the weaker opponents away while Guts take care of the bigger ones.

Isidoro might come in handy at times too, I'm thinking about the time they were running away from the trolls with the kidnapped townspeople.

Farnese is certainly not reall useful depending on your point of view but let's not forget that she's taking care of Casca and that storywise, she's been a cool character. The whole inquisition era was a good story arc.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Libaax wrote:Why are you saying if? If???
I'm hoping that this is only a transgression period

- fingers crossed -
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

When i say useless i mean they cant help against apostles. They are his friends so they are useful in that way that he isnt alone anymore.

But in a fight against an apostle even Serpico isnt any help if Guts fights a strong apostle. I mean the apostle he fought outside Flora's place he almost killed Guts despite Guts using the armour. What can Serpico do to an apostle like that.

Also you cant judge by the first time Guts met Serpico on the cliff. If he really wanted to kil him as he wants to kill apostles. He would cut through the cliff and serpico's head with it.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

as I remember, he couldn't swing that first time on the cliff, and it was a miserable situation

but yes, noone else can do anything about apostles
there is only one Guts after all
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

When i say useless i mean they cant help against apostles. They are his friends so they are useful in that way that he isnt alone anymore.

But in a fight against an apostle even Serpico isnt any help if Guts fights a strong apostle. I mean the apostle he fought outside Flora's place he almost killed Guts despite Guts using the armour. What can Serpico do to an apostle like that.

Also you cant judge by the first time Guts met Serpico on the cliff. If he really wanted to kil him as he wants to kill apostles. He would cut through the cliff and serpico's head with it.
I agree that so far even Serpico doesn't seem useful against Apostle class enemies (and he is definately the most powerful warrior after Guts) but he is still improving. Part of the problem might be that he doesn't really understand how to fight opponents of that nature yet. As time goes on he might become better able to fight against them. Also, I wonder if his wind abilities might be useful when fighting against the Kushan King, who is fog. Just a thought. Leaving all this aside, however, the group of them do seem useful (at least somewhat) in helping Guts deal with the hords of lower level enemies that he's been facing lately.

Still, it remains true that for now, the only one besides Guts who seems like they might be capable of dealing with Apostle class enemies is the witch.