Which Mangas are you reading?

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Libaax wrote:I am just shocked how you can give up on Vagabond,FMA,DN. Specialy Vagabond is a masterpiece.
I didnt mean too. Well I gave up on the former EG ones because I coulndt find a consistant place to dl them. Now that Ive found some I had forgotten what chapter i was on, and I'm to lazy to try and figure it out.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
damdam
imanewbie

Post by damdam »

Libaax wrote:FMA is the ultimate shonen,with great story,world,dark etc.
Have you seen the anime? Its diffrent story than the manga maybe you will like more.
No I didn't watch the anime. I'm more into manga. But you've convinced me to give it another try, I'll read the entire first volume this time :)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I like manga more too but i watch some anime and FMA is second best anime i have seen.

You havent even read thed first vol:P A good rule while reading manga is always read atleast one vol before you decide how good or bad it is.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I wish someone would keep scanlating vagabond. Been waiting for another volume for ages.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I wish the 21 vol could come out anytime soon. I need the book now!
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Little Lou
imanewbie

Post by Little Lou »

Hi, I'm new around here I hope I won't screw up; I'm a total anime/manga nerd and my tastes are very ecclectic. ^____^

These days I'm interested in mangas by Yuji IWAHARA *loooooove*, he/she is the author of King of Thorn, Koudelka and Chikyû Misaki

The art is awesome (very delicate ink job, dynamic features, very well-composed pages) (huh, sorry for my crappy english, slap me, I'm French) and the stories are usually over-thrilling (this goes especially for King of Thorn: mystery, action, horror, yummy!!).

If anyone is interested, I can provide links for KoT and Koudelka scanlations, just send an MP :wink:
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

those all look very cutie shojo, but u seem to describe them otherwise. sometimes you can have the all cute girlie character, and end up like in elfen lied. or sometimes they are just cute. (yuck)
which one are yours?

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Meh, I dont think I would like those very much...
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

but if they are in fact misleading in the covers, maybe u would..

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'll be willing to try it out if I hear a good review from somone else.
Little Lou
imanewbie

Post by Little Lou »

Cheh, I guess nobody can trust me on this one... Well, the first one might be very Shoujo, but Koudelka and King of Thorns are really Seinen mangas...

Here's a sample of Koudelka which isn't really shoujo-like, hum hum... click here> http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0099gw.png

The story of Koudelka is the following: a woman escapes by night from an asylum; she seems to have strange powers, i.e. she can hypnotise the dogs the guards sent after her with the pendant she wears around her neck. Unfortunately, she falls from a cliff during her escape and lands in a chariot conducted by a young boy. The young boy (Joshua) decides to bring home the woman, named Koudelka, and heal her wounds. But dangerous people are after Koudelka, she seems to know things she shouldn't... Plus she may have another special ability: she can see ghosts, and they can possess her body...

But King of Thorns is even more original and thrilling: Some people are beginning to have the symptoms of a strange disease, called Medusa. It leads to certain death, though scientifics don't really know how this death may occur. Fortunately, the people who are sick from Medusa are really few, so it's decided that they will be put in hibernation, and when a cure to the disease is found, they will be waken up. Later on, they are indeed waken up, but it seems to be an accident. They don't know for how much time they have been sleeping, there are thorns all over the place and enormous, horrifying dragon-like creatures start to attack and eat them. Some succeed to escape from the creatures: their leader is a tough and hard-boiled criminal called Marko Owen. They have a bracelet around their wrist that indicate how much the disease has progressed in their bodies: when the bracelet turns to black, the end is very near...
The survivors are running against time, and they have to find out why they were waken up, by whom, if there are any other survivors in the scientific base they are in, if there is indeed a cure to Medusa, if the rest of humanity, the "world outside", is still alive or maybe has it been wiped away by Medusa... Plus, can they really trust their self-proclaimed leader, the dark and insensitive Marko Owen?

There, I hope I convinced you that it wasn't shoujo at all, tee hee ^____^

But, if neither King of Thorns nor Koudelka has convinced you, there is DOGS; the incredible manga by MIWA Shirou... The art is more than awesome (the ink job style of Miwa belongs to the particular style founded by the author of Leviathan and MPD Psycho; this ink job style has been followed by many famous mangaka, like Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note...)).

But enough with words, let these few images convince you:

http://fugu.cs.columbia.edu/mangatransl ... 2_1280.jpg

http://fugu.cs.columbia.edu/mangatransl ... 1_1280.jpg

Again, just PM me if you want the scanlations adresses of these manga.

Cheers ^_______^
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I think I read a one-shot of DOGs once, I'm not sure. It was mostly just a concept, and I can't remember what it was about, but it looked very interesting.
Brainpiercing
Finito

Post by Finito »

Yeah dogs is good, BUT the translator suck real bad(Manga-Translation), BUT its better than nothing. :P

The author did a one shot of Dogs(long ago), its mostly to know the characters backrounds. He just started the serie or maybe he started it long ago but the release started not long ago.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've found and reread that one shot and also started getting the new chapters.

I like the concept, so I think I'll follow this one, if the releases aren't too slow.
Brainpiercing
Finito

Post by Finito »

Release are slow, once a month or 2 month.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'll add it to my list.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Im a big fan of DN art style so i will read Dogs.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

im with ya all. dogs it is

Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I read a little bit of "Lone Wolf and Cub" while I was at my cousin's, he was borrowing it from his buddy. Supposedly I missed him borrowing the entire collection of BotI for a while by the same guy by a week. :cry:
ImageImage
damdam
imanewbie

Post by damdam »

Little Lou wrote:Cheh, I guess nobody can trust me on this one... Well, the first one might be very Shoujo, but Koudelka and King of Thorns are really Seinen mangas...
+1 for King of thorns : nice art, great story and characters but ... slow releases :(
Another great manga I read is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Click the previous link for the storyline. This seinen manga is one my favourites. The most... peaceful comic I've ever read. Maybe it can sound strange but one needs to try it to understand. BEWARE, one loves it or hates it.
Up to vol 14 at Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Translation
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have started reading Island and i am loving it. The art is exellent,the story and the characters are very good.

Island is a manhwa made by In-Wan Youn who also writes Shin Angyo Onshi.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I am about to start on the third volume of Uzumaki, a horror manga by Junji Ito.

I am scared. :(

I also started leeching Battle Angel Alita, go me!
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

I'm a bastard.. I rarely buy manga, and I download a new series every week or so.

I'm a true Consumer.

Current:

Blame! (4th time reading it)
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Berserk
Zetman
Hellsing
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order
Bastard!!
Suikoden III
20th Century Boys
Pluto
Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa
Bleach
Cromartie Highschool
Gantz
Genjuu no Seiza
Naruto
One Piece
Family Compo
The Hating Girl
Homunculus

You know, I could still go through the list for a good 10 minutes, but I'll stop here.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Heh another leecher,you will feel welcome in the club.

But im not one of you i also buy manga often ;)

I read so many mangas that it would take more 20 mins to remember of their names.

Now that im finished with Island i will pick up Shin Angyo Onishi again and start reading Angel Heart and Zombie Hunter.

Man im starting to think manhwa are better to read these days,specialy since most the m anhwas has a very special art style.
Ruuppa
Mastered PM

Post by Ruuppa »

I've redeemed myself. Burned 60 € on mangas yesterday. Or today. I'm confused about the date.

But now I have a pile of mangas, and I'm happy.
Started Petshop of Horrors. Really nice.