The manga vs. the TV series

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Berserk manga or Berserk animation?

The Manga, Miura's original work > all
83%
The Animation, animated Berserk = g0d
17%

Total votes: 162

Darnoc
Mastered PM

Post by Darnoc »

I'll have to say the manga, though it was the anime that got me hooked in Berserk. I use the anime to convert people
in the Berserk-religion and after they've seen it I tell them that there's a manga of this too and it has even more blood
and nudity and story and everything! So far I've managed to convert 5 people but only one of them reads the manga
besides me. My older brother also thinks that the manga is better but he doesn't read it because he hates reading right-to-left.
On March 2006 Ajattara strikes back... damn... still 4 months
Itse---Kuolema---Tyhjyys---Apare
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

Luck- wrote:Hmmm... I've never seen the outtakes. Is it on the last dvd. Gotta know which one so i can go out and rent it.
the outtakes are on all the dvds. they correspond by episode. they're in one of the special scenes or extras menu.
"Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past...i guess." -Puck
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

The outtakes are hilarious...although I think the guy from American Idol is Griffth (the guy with the fro). Neeneeneeneenee Batman!! ^_^

Brings to mind an omake I should make but I'll let someone else do it. In the manga when Griffith has been rescued and Guts is fighting the one monkey apostle (W--something) (the apostle Zodd comes down and kills) and he's sitting in the cave and he reaches for his sword and drops it. Waawaawaaaaa (just like in a cartoon ^_^)
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

TheDrizzit wrote:In the manga when Griffith has been rescued and Guts is fighting the one monkey apostle (W--something) (the apostle Zodd comes down and kills) and he's sitting in the cave and he reaches for his sword and drops it. Waawaawaaaaa (just like in a cartoon ^_^)
Wyald or how he is spelled, he should be in the top ten of most perverted apostles in the manga.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Sha that guy was indeed a monster. Raping then killing then raping again then dismembering then raping again. geez...
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

you forgot raping...again
:wink:
xephon
imanewbie

Post by xephon »

ok, this is kinda off topic, and kinda not.

But since there is the horrid min post count to start a topic, i have to ask it here.

What is the japanese word for black swordsman? I hear it quite a bit in the first ep, and later on as well.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

uhhh

Post by Fuji Nagase »

well, the thing is, yes, the outtakes are funny, but, but the over all anime, i actually really liked. for many of us, it was our first introduction into berserk, and therefore holds some kind of meaning. however, the parts such as when he is away for a year with goto and stuff, that animation was so terrible!

but of course, the ending made up for that horrible display of anime(maybe). more like the ending was like , "WHAT THE FUCK????!! WHYYYY!??!??!?!?!?!*0*"...which eventually got me into the manga. initially, i liked the manga more, because of the left out characters and the fact that i actually understood the plot. (and wasn't screaming HOLY FUCK, WHAT THE HELL??!?! whenever the word berserk was mentioned) but int he end, with ALL of the mangas compared to the anime( as i said before) i do prefer the manga. Even though, the anime does give some things the manga cant.

MANGA

-i think balck swordsman uh, "kuro kenkaku". ( unless kuro is a na adj., but i dont think it is.) not sure if they used another phrase in the anime tho.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
xephon
imanewbie

Post by xephon »

it sounded like kroiken, or some such
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

hmmm....I know for sure that it has kenshin or a form of that word in it because it means sword and the Cobra Commander guy says it...not sure of the whole thing though
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

xephon wrote:ok, this is kinda off topic, and kinda not.

But since there is the horrid min post count to start a topic, i have to ask it here.

What is the japanese word for black swordsman? I hear it quite a bit in the first ep, and later on as well.
You can ask all Berserk related Questions here:
http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... &start=540
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

xephon wrote:ok, this is kinda off topic, and kinda not.

Kuroi Kenshi
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

:twisted:

Good Good...I was at work and I couldn't stop thinking if I got it right or not. ^_^ One letter off but hey...bite me! :evil:
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Further explanation:
Kuroi=Black
Kenshi=Swordsman
:P
Fuji Nagase

hahaha....

Post by Fuji Nagase »

well, i think whats funny is, kenshin generally means, samurai, right? but berserk supposedly taking place in a european place. but since its japanese, and the culture adapted to using the word more liberally, and thus, since it is anime/manga, he is... kenshi..

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What the fuck are you talking about. Kenshin is the name of the main character of "Rurouni Kenshin", who is a samurai. It doesn't mean samurai, or anything else really. If it meant anything, it would be "true sword". Samurai is a Japanese word, so there would be no need to have another Japanese word to mean samurai. Kenshi is the Japanese word for "swordsman". The main difference is that samurai were bound to the emperor, while kenshi were just swordsmen.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

yea, yea, sorry for the extra letter. but yes, i was saying that kenshi generally means taught in the way of the japanese sword. and guts wasnt and had no bounds to the japan in any way. but due to the modern culture of japan, that distinction is gone, maybe?

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Not really, it just means swordsman, so it applies. Kenshi didn't only use katana. It's just like us calling him a swordsman, only they're speaking Japanese.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i see.

fuck, i feel so stupid when i dont even know my own culture!

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eh? You live in Nippon?
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

no, i m half japanese. so my mother kinda makes me feel like i am. ive gone a few times though.

Luck-
Mastered PM

Post by Luck- »

One thing the manga has is the khusan army. The fight with silat didn't exist in the anime that sucked. I just read the manga again and the sex scenes are better ( Griffith vs Charlotte, Gutts vs Casca). :wink:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

This is a duh quetion, the only people who would like the anime more than the manga are lazy people who dont want to read or people who are squeamish about blood and guts(literally) and people who dont know any better. :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Luck- wrote:One thing the manga has is the khusan army. The fight with silat didn't exist in the anime that sucked. I just read the manga again and the sex scenes are better ( Griffith vs Charlotte, Gutts vs Casca). :wink:
Funny you should mention Griffith VS them :) Charlotte didn't complained, after all ;)

But yeah - come to think of it, Griffith can't have a normal sex, can he? Lol
Luck-
Mastered PM

Post by Luck- »

This is a duh quetion, the only people who would like the anime more than the manga are lazy people who dont want to read or people who are squeamish about blood and guts(literally) and people who dont know any better.
I agree with you about the people who don't like to read it. My friend just picks up the manga and look at pictures and think he knows everythin... Well i like it cuz it contains more info then the anime. Things are more explained like how Gutts grew up. Showed how he was picked off the ground.
come to think of it, Griffith can't have a normal sex, can he? Lol
Your right... even when he was getting it on with charlotte he was thinkin about how he lost Gutts... and at the eclipse as he rapes Casca he's just doing to piss off Gutts. :?