Ch 263

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

the way it was worded wouldnt even make sense if Gutts had said it...i didnt even notice till you guys pointed it out
:wink:
J2 Cool
notanewb

Post by J2 Cool »

Yeah, I was confused there as well. But that was a terrific chapter. This coming from someone upset with the lack of plot development in recent chapters. I realize it's necessary but still thought they went overboard at times. With that said, this was the best chapter in a long while. Looking forward to Miura keeping it up and having some fun with the story, which I know he will.
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

I was really mad about the lack of plot developement too. Basically, the previous chapters could have been summed up in less pages which would get straight to the better stuff. The first 12 books didnt seem to have such a lag in plot developement...or is that just because I didnt have to wait as long for them?
:wink:
k3mikal
notanewb

Post by k3mikal »

thanks!!!!1111111111
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Femto wrote:
psi29a wrote:I don't think it is YA's mistake, in that Gut's back is toward the one talking. So you read from top right to bottom right to top left to bottom left and you see the facial expressions, Guts never turned around.

Could be wrong though.
I see what you mean, but the page before it establishes that the guy is stepping in front of him when he starts to ask the quesiton.

I personally thought Guts was completing his question because he recognized the guy himself.
so it was Guts who finishes the sentence? hmmmm...he rather looks surprised to hear his former title again.

what if next chap. the guy says: Oh, sorry, I thought you were somone else.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Khelegond wrote:Guts doesn't turn around Psi, but you can see his (Raban's) boots coming from his front...so the guy appeared on his front.

Oh thanks for all you guys...the chapter was great.
Raban was the other supporter of the Taka no Dan, back in the day. This is Owen, as the other guys have already stated. Good try though. ;)
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Oh heck...50% of chance, and I screwed it :)

Anyway, at least I remembered him ... can't believe many here hadn't...

On a side note...was re-watching the anime. Man, when Casca confronts Guts (when he fought alone, when he was Raider's Commander) she calls him Mad Dog :) Funny stuff, since we all know his 'inner demon' form :) Probably this came up before, so I just stated it here...

You gotta love Miura...
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hopefully in the next chap the guy doesnt just talk about Guts and the chaps ends. I want them to reach the ship or a problem faster.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

disregard what I proposed (notice the perhaps), it seems more logical that the text is comming from Owen, however Owen (and us) are facing a surprised Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, Mystic mentioned that the form of Japanese that was used there was more formal, and not like Gatts' speech patterns too. Just a mistake on YA's part, not the first time it's happened. Although, I though Miura drew the bubbles too *shrugs*.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Maybe we'll getting a first person shot of what Owen see of Guts in the last frame, that way it kind of makes sense why there's arrows pointing to the centre...

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

I doubt that they will get to the ship smoothly. There will be another encounter on the way there.
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Im thinking the hawks might save this town, because I doubt the soldier will be enough to stop those monsters.
Unless guts just takes down the enemies by self defence and some soldiers get their moral boosted and follows guts exemple.

Well unless someone stayed outside with guts I doubt the others will know about his past and that/those person would have to tell the others which might not happen. Maybe some monsters will attack them while they talk and then the others will come out when he kills the monster and owen says you truly are the raiders commander, so you became the black swordsman after? Are the hawks here with you to save us? guts might let him die for saying that.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

so who is this owen guy...i completely forgot who he was haha :roll:
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Maybe they will reach the ship after one or two small animal skirmishes and then when they are boarding Guts sees Griffith off in the distance coming into the city...or just the Hawks' banner. And then he will get another face like the one in Felony's ava! ^_^ Gotta love that pic!

Oh and, if I'm not mistaken, he was the guy who was always paired with the brown headed and bearded guy. You see them in the anime (at the ball) and they like Griffith. You also see him riding through that one town that was infested by plague and Ubrik (or is it Conrad?) come out of the corpses.
Last edited by TheDrizzit on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

one of the two "intelligent" nobles

I wonder what he will say...but I have a feeling that he's gonna tear up some old scars.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Hes just a lord or something like that, that was in the campaign against Chuda and those 2 Owen and Raban were the only 2 that supported Griffith, actually only Raban spoke once for Griffith at the war table where the King tells Griffith to submit to Doldrei(castle with the pedofile governor and Boscogne), you also see them in the ball where Griffith faked his death. Raban is also seen in a town full of rats because of the plague, and is also saved by the Apostles hawks when he goes in the captured midland and is attacked by giant aligators. I think you see them when the king dies too.
Last edited by Finito on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Khelegond wrote:On a side note...was re-watching the anime. Man, when Casca confronts Guts (when he fought alone, when he was Raider's Commander) she calls him Mad Dog :) Funny stuff, since we all know his 'inner demon' form :) Probably this came up before, so I just stated it here...
I completely missed that one.

Nice find.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Well does the japenese version says the same thing?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

No clue, but I just checked the Dark Horse translation and it says the same thing.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

This is something only Mystic can answer for us...but she says that on both the anime and the manga :)

Funny, isn't it? Re-watching stuff show us this kind of stuff...and amaze us that Miura is not just drawing wihout purpose. As someone said...'he doesn't leave loose ends'.
Last edited by Khelegond on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

"doesnt leave loose ends" :kekeke:

and muira's ability to forshadow and interweave the plot from beginning to end is why i think he (idea :P) has a plan. cause every little thing in the beginning is seen to have had some purpose later on...i had to put that in here hehe
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Very sorry. Not my first language and spellcheck is not working for me :(
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Khelegond wrote:This is something only Mystic can answer for us...but she says that on both the anime and the manga :)
Well, I'm hardly the only person who can confirm that, and I think you can trust the official anime and manga translations... but if it makes you feel better, I do remember that the translation sounded right when I watched it a year ago or so (or at least I remember hearing "inu" which is dog). ;-)
J2 Cool
notanewb

Post by J2 Cool »

evilester_me wrote:I was really mad about the lack of plot developement too. Basically, the previous chapters could have been summed up in less pages which would get straight to the better stuff. The first 12 books didnt seem to have such a lag in plot developement...or is that just because I didnt have to wait as long for them?
I think the first 12 books had more character development for Guts and Griffith. Other characters had small slices of character development, but mostly it was Guts and Griffith being built. And when they talk it's never boring. Especially Griffith's philosophy. From there, began their relationship and the plot they got themselves into. Casca really was the only other one who got a lot of character development towards the middle of that run, as she would become important to the Hawks and more so to Guts. But I mean, they made the entire Band charming and developed in lesser pages.

There were moments of other characters getting developed too. The one guy and his son Guts would murder, the guy who slept with Griffith, etc. But usually those would be wrapped up in proceding chapters. Something like the Sonia and Schierke meeting is something that wouldn't have been in the first 12 books though. Everything instead weaved and wrapped around Guts. In current chapters the entire family Guts has assembled is really having their story told. It's cool but different, and is tough when you follow it chapter by chapter. Now we're getting back into the thick of things though. If Berserk started out with character development for the first 6 books, that led into massive plot development, war, and the outcomes for those characters. If this arc is anything like that, we'll be getting into serious developments within Berserk's world.

Speaking of arcs btw, how long is this Millenium Falcon arc spanned? I think it's really cool we're still within a certain arc, Miura most likely planned from the start. I really don't want to think of how long this series could span. I just want to forget there ever will be an ending.