Berserk 305 - Foundation

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk 305 - Foundation

Post by The Prince »

Berserk's sense of realism has done a complete 180 since the Golden Age.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Nice chapter n' work EG, no matter how eezy!!

Well, it's only matter of time to see Link killing monsters here and there through Midland and boundaries...

I realized that in the Moon & Earth page you can see Africa, Madagascar included, and that the Zero Zone of the light explosion is somewhere in ¡¡¿¿Russia??!! :shock: (and near North Pole)!?!?!

And, in my opinion, Unicorns are horses' drag queens. The ultimate horse is Pegasus!!!
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

I was wrong!

Using google earth i've seen that the Zero Zone can be somewhere nearby the Black or Caspian seas, so it can be east Europe...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:Berserk's sense of realism has done a complete 180 since the Golden Age.
Although one of the awesome things about Miura is that even the "fantastical" elements of the story are so well concieved and depicted that they seem totally realistic.
Using google earth i've seen that the Zero Zone can be somewhere nearby the Black or Caspian seas, so it can be east Europe...
Um. Are we sure that the continents are the same in the Berserk world as they are in the real world? We already know that the countries aren't...
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

but there was a moon too. and yes, most planets have moon, but it was very earthlike. I wouldn't say that Berserk is on earth, but more like Berserk is a mirror to earth, with different versions of our own history. i was getting so used to how berserk monsters were something that i had never seen anywhere else, and now we see very recognizable monsters in the harpies and hydra. those were monsters from greek mythology primarily. what i'm getting at is that their existence suggests that ancient greece and its belief system also incorporates into the world of berserk. these creatures, whether they were real or not, must have found corporealization in the fact that they have existed in the subconscious of the peoples of europe (or the berserk version of it) for so long. As opposed to something only one person imagined. What I'm getting at is Miura is giving hints that this could be in the real world, or like a different version of it. And Istvan is not always right, he just thinks he is.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

About the Berserk geography. I made a picture:

Drawing over page 10-11: http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc14 ... p10-11.jpg
a google earth image: http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc14 ... ed-1-5.jpg

With google earth it's impossible to get an image with that perspective. It could be because the field of view is different in Miura's drawing. It could be that the planet of Berserk is different than ours, in just general terms, or maybe just a future or past time with different continent shifting and stuff. Probably a combination of different angles and different planet configuration. Also Greenland and Iceland seem to be too close, when they should have receded over the horizon.

Another interesting thing is that Griffith was facing the sunrise when attacking Ganishka, so it's possible that he came from the opposite direction, meaning Vritanis would be in western Europe. Possibly London? Is there any specific passage of time between Griffith going from Vritanis to Wyndham?

The Herald wrote:what i'm getting at is that their existence suggests that ancient greece and its belief system also incorporates into the world of berserk. these creatures, whether they were real or not, must have found corporealization in the fact that they have existed in the subconscious of the peoples of europe (or the berserk version of it) for so long.
I don't think it means Greece specifically existed, but a very similar thing may have. Miura likes to draw elements from reality, not just directly copy them. Also not just limited to Greece, but all of the mythological creatures in the European/African areas (since that's all we can see of the world for now, we can assume that creatures from those cultures could show up). But if Berserk ever goes to other regions of the world, we could see stuff from Chinese to Aztec myths, though probably it wont.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

To me, this chapter (and the previous) felt like a change of status quo. We've seen transitions like this before, but it wasn't until I read the last couple of chapters until I realised it. I think we'll be exploring the New World for quite a fair while. I don't think Miura has any plans of getting rushed into an ending.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Agreed. Heck, even after we return to Guts and Co. we'll probably still be learning (along with them) the full ramifications of what Griffith's done for a long time.
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

Just got up after a kick ass party in the South Bay to come on and find a new issue translated and ready to go. This is a great weekend. Thanks, as always, EG!
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

Thanks EG!!!

Can't wait to see how this combining of worlds further pans out. :)
Infini-Tropolis.com
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Nakadai wrote:Thanks EG!!!

At the time, the first eclipse and the ascension of the final god-hand was portrayed as the event to bring force a new age of "darkness" upon the human world. I guess now they're just releasing the flood-gates.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:

At the time, the first eclipse and the ascension of the final god-hand was portrayed as the event to bring force a new age of "darkness" upon the human world. I guess now they're just releasing the flood-gates.
And the real irony will be that as monsters appear, and things get worse and worse for people, they'll look more and more to Griffith (the one who caused it all) to save them from the darkness.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:but there was a moon too. and yes, most planets have moon, but it was very earthlike. I wouldn't say that Berserk is on earth, but more like Berserk is a mirror to earth, with different versions of our own history.
Like Reality unless noted pretty much covers that :D
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
The Prince wrote:

And the real irony will be that as monsters appear, and things get worse and worse for people, they'll look more and more to Griffith (the one who caused it all) to save them from the darkness.
.....while ostracizing Guts along the way. Recall Guts being chased down by the Holy See, due to reports of a Black-swordsman being the harbinger of this darkness.

Though sooner or later I really hope people will see Griffith for who he really is. I'm sure it will come at a time when the charade is no longer expedient for Griffith, likely after he is officially given keys to the kingdom with the Pope's blessing upon having knocked-up Charlotte.

Though it seems there are those with doubts already, recalling the conversation between Sir Owen(?) and that Outcast Kushan Prince dude.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The Prince wrote:.....while ostracizing Guts along the way. Recall Guts being chased down by the Holy See, due to reports of a Black-swordsman being the harbinger of this darkness.
While that is certainly possible, Griffith has nothing to gain by doing so...at the moment. Griffith seems to not really care about Guts at this stage, and unless Guts gets up to some serious shit or impedes on Griffith's path, then that's certainly possible.

Just asking (because I forgot and have not much time to flip through the books), but was there a dark hawk as well (much like two sides of the coin)? Maybe Griffith is both the dark hawk and light hawk (God Hand form and human form), so he's essentially the two sides of the coin in one entity. So he'll be up to shit as the God Hand (ie opening the floodgates to the 'New World'), but being the saviour in human form (ie saving people of Midland from the Kushan threat). Wow, this seems like it should be in the stupid theory thread.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

Up until now, Guts has little to no significance in the overall scheme of Griffith's plans. I can see this beginning to change soon.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Wow, this is the worst possible time for Guts and Coº to be traveling on a boat right now.

Giant Kraken attack confirmed.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i thought they already got attacked by a giant sea something ...
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:i thought they already got attacked by a giant sea something ...
All I can remember are some wimpy pirates. Suddenly encountering a kraken...is an interesting idea. Be interesting to see how they'd deal with something like that.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Deathbringer wrote:Wow, this is the worst possible time for Guts and Coº to be traveling on a boat right now.

Giant Kraken attack confirmed.
Heh, good point. That could be a cool encounter, but I'd rather they just get to Skellig already.

Also, in regards to what Herald said earlier about the harpies and such having something to do with Greek influences INSIDE the world of Berserk. I don't see it that way at all. I really do think everyone is over-thinking this whole geography of the world of Berserk, and how it relates to the real world. Yeah, they're on Earth, but not the same Earth as us. It's an alternate world all-together. What I mean is that the planet is very similar in make-up, but we don't know if the geography is exactly the same, and the countries and people are different. Not to say that Miura doesn't use a lot of real world influences in his work, but that's all it is. I don't think real world countries and people have any place in Berserk. Miura has always made it quite clear that this manga was intended to be a fantasy story. So of course there are going to be traditional types of creatures, like harpies and unicorns. These creatures are coming from Qliphoth or possibly some other realm on the other side. So basically I don't think it has anything to do with any countries in the world of Berserk or the ideas of the people. It's like trying to compare real world countries and people in Record of Lodoss War, there isn't really any reason too. It's just that Miura uses a lot more real world influences. I believe these creatures already existed and now that the worlds are merging they're appearing in the human world. It's all part of the natural progression of the story, it's becoming even more fantasy based, and that's fine with me. That's my take on it anyway. It'd be different if we were talking about Bastard, where the world is in fact the same Earth as ours, only 400 years after the Goddess of Destruction Anthrax destroyed all of the civilized world. :P
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:
The Prince wrote:.....while ostracizing Guts along the way. Recall Guts being chased down by the Holy See, due to reports of a Black-swordsman being the harbinger of this darkness.
While that is certainly possible, Griffith has nothing to gain by doing so...at the moment. Griffith seems to not really care about Guts at this stage, and unless Guts gets up to some serious shit or impedes on Griffith's path, then that's certainly possible.

Just asking (because I forgot and have not much time to flip through the books), but was there a dark hawk as well (much like two sides of the coin)? Maybe Griffith is both the dark hawk and light hawk (God Hand form and human form), so he's essentially the two sides of the coin in one entity. So he'll be up to shit as the God Hand (ie opening the floodgates to the 'New World'), but being the saviour in human form (ie saving people of Midland from the Kushan threat). Wow, this seems like it should be in the stupid theory thread.
I agree. Not that this was intentional, but more less an ironic set of unintended circumstances. Where Guts was the one being mistaken by the masses as the "Hawk of Darkness" (to answer your question), at least throughout most of the Black-Swordsmen Arc. Now it seems aside from his companions everyone seems to have forgotten about Guts. Where at the moment Guts seems to be only a small player in the grand scheme of things.

BTW the only person I recall to ever refer to Griffith being the Hawk of Darkness was Schierke, in a monoloque right after witnessing the Neo-BofH halt a Kushan siege in Western Midland through the eyes of a small bird.

IMO Griffith will always secretly have a hard-on for Guts. I remember how Femto went out of his way to demean Guts with personal childish insults during their reunion in hell way way back. Far from the high and mighty "holier than though" omnipotent Godhand we have been accustomed to seeing with Griffith....the same guy who just made the SK look like a fool. It seems Griffith will always be flustered to some degree in the presence of Guts.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
The Herald wrote:i thought they already got attacked by a giant sea something ...
All I can remember are some wimpy pirates. Suddenly encountering a kraken...is an interesting idea. Be interesting to see how they'd deal with something like that.
I would expect it would involve some sort of tentacle rape scenario with Caska in the mix.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The Prince wrote:
Istvan wrote:
I would expect it would involve some sort of tentacle rape scenario with Caska in the mix.
Well, all animes/ mangas have some sort of hentai thrown in to fuck with the audience and characters. Generally, in my experience with Berserk, the whole thing has been a mindfuck for me. I thought that Ganishka was killed before the SK just tore him asunder. Must have been mistaking that with the time Guts ripped through him when he was a cloud, or whatever. I bet I just imagined the seamonster, or mixed it up with what I thought was going to happen and those Kushan demanoid elephant whales. Technically, those are seamonsters :pwned:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:
Istvan wrote:
Been there, done that; it was during the eclipse. It's time for one of the other female characters to have a chance to be tentacle raped.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Istvan wrote:Been there, done that; it was during the eclipse. It's time for one of the other female characters to have a chance to be tentacle raped.
Farneze is really overdue for another one.