PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: PS3 Thread

Post by Aetherfukz »

halfnhalf wrote:
War Machine wrote:Hmm, maybe I'll try getting a japanese account later when I'm bored.

I want to get a bigger Hard Drive and install Yellow Dog Linux, but I was wondering which kind of HDs should I be looking for, is it ok as long as it's SATA or is there something else I should be careful about?

the HDD needs to be a laptop hard drive, meaning 2.5 inch drive.

Someone here wrote up how to change the harddrive on their blog, so whoever did that, repost the link.
That would have been me :D

http://webex.blogsome.com/2008/01/03/li ... n3-how-to/
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Ah, cool. Thanks!

I'll start saving for a new HD right after I buy MGS4, cause there's no way in hell I'm missing in on the action.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Do you think that getting a 7200 rpm hard drive would significantly affect the PS3 loading times?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

dialdfordesi wrote:Do you think that getting a 7200 rpm hard drive would significantly affect the PS3 loading times?

yes it does, but it truly only makes a difference on installing things on the hdd. Expect around a 15 or 20 second gain on the 5400rpm. Its not much, but some people refuse to use 5400 these days.

the real question you are going to want to ask yourself is... More space at the same speed and cheaper price, OR less space, but everything loads faster at a more expensive value.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Also: The standard hdd is 5400rpm. I'd say that the PS3 is tested with such a config. I have gone the safe way and updated with 5400 rpm too. Because you'll never know, maybe the faster drive will produce more heat or something the PS3 won't really like?

Anyway the loading won't be really faster like halfnhalf said. The cause of the loading times isn't the hdd, it's the blu-ray disc which is slow (but big).
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Aetherfukz wrote:Also: The standard hdd is 5400rpm. I'd say that the PS3 is tested with such a config. I have gone the safe way and updated with 5400 rpm too. Because you'll never know, maybe the faster drive will produce more heat or something the PS3 won't really like?

Anyway the loading won't be really faster like halfnhalf said. The cause of the loading times isn't the hdd, it's the blu-ray disc which is slow (but big).

Well if you have the 40 gig PS3 the 7200rpm is perfectly fine temperture wise. PLus the 40 gig has a completely new fan that keeps the ps3 super quiet and cool.

Some people have installed 10,000 rpm hdd and Sold State Drives in the ps3 and all have worked fine. The SSD does have a slower install time, however the read is amazing fast. The group that installed the SSD say that you will see games load upwards to 20 seconds faster than the rpm drives, though you will be plauged with high prices and very little space.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rejoice! In-game XMB is for realsies:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/30/wat ... -40-video/
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Sweet mother of mammaries!

Edit: This reminded me, I need to play Persona 3 again, never finished that since I started Age of Conan :D

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

PS3 update v.2.40 = Too little, too late.

Why wasn't this included from the beginning?

It works fine, I guess.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:PS3 update v.2.40 = Too little, too late.

It works fine, I guess.
Why always the sourpuss? At least they're listening to the fanbase.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Prince wrote:
Femto wrote:PS3 update v.2.40 = Too little, too late.

It works fine, I guess.
Why always the sourpuss? At least they're listening to the fanbase.
That's a very weird thing I was thinking about, I actually think they are, and they're listening pretty closely. When they announced the 2.40 update, they said that there wouldn't be any sound chiming in when you acquired a trophy, but by the next day, after the fans showed their discontent with that feature, they added it just like that. Also, if you listen to how the guy talks in the video showing the 2.40 update (the one I linked to), you'll see that the guy talks as if he's answering questions directly to the fans, not just promoting the new features like an informercial; and even promises more features in future updates (again, addressing the fans directly). I thought that was pretty cool, I hope they keep listening.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

its here now, so why complain?

its not like you had to play without it for past 7 months...

Sony just needs to find they guys that do custom firmwares and hire them to do the work for them, im pretty all the guys in that community would love to get paid for their services.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I've got 2.40 and it's badass, but apparently it's causing ps3's to freeze up according to Starnum. It really sucks the update's doing this, but for those that didn't get to update you've lost your chance until Sony re-releases the update.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

no problems for me.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

From what I heard, the problem appeared only during installation of the 2.40 update, so if yours installed properly, you'll be fine.

Out of all the new features, the clock is definitely the most useful.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I was out of town when it came out. That's why I missed it. Man, I can't wait for them to re-release it.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

There is a major side affect to the 2.40 servers not being up, it makes the ps3 hella slow. It's still a badass update though, a clock, internet search, in game xmb, and various other nicknacks that I've noticed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm really enjoying 2.41. I just wish they could've set the trophy system up to ready your HDD and give you any awards that you would've already unlocked, but I guess that's too much to ask for. I guess no games support trophies yet or whatever, but still.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

If you really wamt trophies, there's super stardust hd
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Finally got the update yesterday, also bought Eccochrome from the EU store too, which is great.

But wtf... why can you use the XMB in games now, but when playing a DVD you still can't? Bleh.
guywildman
imanewbie

Post by guywildman »

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/886158/g ... _e308.html

Brought manly fucking tears to my eyes.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Aetherfukz wrote:Finally got the update yesterday, also bought Eccochrome from the EU store too, which is great.

But wtf... why can you use the XMB in games now, but when playing a DVD you still can't? Bleh.
can't use in-game xmb on DVD's but on blu-ray movies, it works. The coding is done through software(games on the hd) and blu-rays.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

halfnhalf wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Finally got the update yesterday, also bought Eccochrome from the EU store too, which is great.

can't use in-game xmb on DVD's but on blu-ray movies, it works. The coding is done through software(games on the hd) and blu-rays.
Hmm...

NEEDS MOAR BLU-RAY ANIME! :lol:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

PixelJunk Monsters is really good.