Berserk Movie Petition

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk Movie Petition

Post by War Machine »

The Prince wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Damn I need that game so bad. But why is Guts fighting Caska, Judeau, Corcas and Pippin at (supposedly) the eclipse ground? Bad imagination?
Allow me to explain as best as I can. I have the branded edition of this game (Came with Gutts action figure). While traveling with Caska, post eclipse, you wander across this kid character.

Now I don't know any japanese but what I pieced together is he can use some kind of magic and makes Gutts face off against the people who died in the eclipse. I think its implied that Gutts feels it was his fault why they died, and they are blaming him for their deaths. They are all figments of the kids magic and once you defeat them you fight him. I'm also not trying to give away too much of the plot if you were to get the game. Hope this helped.
I'd get it just to see Guts kick Corkus' ass.
The funny thing about Corkus is that he stabs you once and then runs away. He keeps doing that throughout the whole fight.

About the movie, we can all agree that it would be lame. Maybe I'd accept it if it had a great script that kept to one part of the series (and not try to synthesize the whole story) and had great visual effects like 300.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

okokok.... I get the idea. But I'm still not giving up on the idea of a movie.

Now lets say in about 3 years or so, Berserk looks as if its going to be ending soon in the Manga. Now instead of finishing off the manga they decide to drop it (probably at some crucial point that leaves you hanging, disturbed, and wanting to know what happens next even if it means you have to buy 32 manga books to find out), and instead decided to make a Japanese Animated Movie (nothing to do with Hollywood) that would cover the ending of it all.
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

Superboi wrote:Berserk looks as if its going to be ending soon in the Manga
That's some kind of optimism you've got there. Cut me a slice of that sunshine pie. I was thinking it would be great if Berserk was over by the time I was 45.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

madonnalal wrote:
That's some kind of optimism you've got there. Cut me a slice of that sunshine pie. I was thinking it would be great if Berserk was over by the time I was 45.
Given the rate Miura produces new chapters, and the amount of story still to be told, I'm with you on this one, madonnalal.
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

Istvan wrote:
madonnalal wrote:
Given the rate Miura produces new chapters, and the amount of story still to be told, I'm with you on this one, madonnalal.
Ok.... I'm done posting on these forums. You guys take absolutely everything out of context. The example I was giving was nothing more than a hypothetical situation. I didn't think I needed to spell that out for all you Berserk elitists. I seriously think that you guys are looking for any reason to jump down the "noobs" throat as soon as you see a new poster.

And you guys can call me a "noob" all you want, but I've gone to school and I know how to read and write, and these aren't the first forums I've posted on. Theres not much to it, but if you guys want to be thread Nazi's, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the Jewish "noob" you guys throw in the gas chamber next.

So next time you quote something, please take the time to quote the entire sentence instead of misconstruing the idea that is trying to be conveyed into you blender of a brain. And yes.... that was a metaphor.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Superboi, take it easy, man. I don't see why you're getting angry over this. It's a bad idea.
Superboi wrote:Ok.... I'm done posting on these forums. You guys take absolutely everything out of context. The example I was giving was nothing more than a hypothetical situation. I didn't think I needed to spell that out for all you Berserk elitists. I seriously think that you guys are looking for any reason to jump down the "noobs" throat as soon as you see a new poster.
First of all, you said making a movie would be a great idea (to you) we said no to your idea. You asked if there should be a movie made. We all replied no. Some of us gave rationales for it, which were all valid. You have stated you wanted just any character in the movie called Guts swinging his sword killing demons, regardless if its from the content or not. All of us obviously dislike the idea. I think daildfordesi summed it up perfectly as below:
dialdfordesi wrote:So you just want Guts to be hacking and slashing at monsters? To me, the best part of Berserk is the depth of the characters, so a mindless gorefest doesn't do justice to Berserk.
You idea is like, 'let's make a LOTR movie, only with the characters in it and have nothing to do with the book'. Do you think that LOTR movies would have the same fanbase if they did it, or the universally loved status? My answer would be no. The minority would though, and you fell right in with the minority with your idea. You know that movie 300? Instead of Leonidas and Spartas, replace it with Guts and Band of the Hawk, and with Xerxes, replace with Kushan Emperor.

You're more offended because we dislike the idea, more than people 'taking things out of context'. We have shot down your ideas one by one. There's only been one or two responses about you being a noob, so I don't really see what you're upset about. The rationale has been provided as to why we didn't like the idea, and it seems that you didn't like it that we thought your idea was bad. People usually don't say 'yes' to hypothetical ideas just because it's a hypothetical.
Superboi wrote:And you guys can call me a "noob" all you want, but I've gone to school and I know how to read and write, and these aren't the first forums I've posted on. Theres not much to it, but if you guys want to be thread Nazi's, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the Jewish "noob" you guys throw in the gas chamber next.
Congrats with going to school. Hey, guess what, I've been in school too and I know how to read and write. We actually didn't know that you were Jewish, so thanks for that information. I guess we can all shout up about Israel now. But joking aside, we don't care.

If you have been following this forum regularly as you claim, then you would know that the responses you have gotten from this forum are relatively mild compared to ones in the past. Do you see a sub-forum called Interstice? Read the threads there?
Superboi wrote:So next time you quote something, please take the time to quote the entire sentence instead of misconstruing the idea that is trying to be conveyed into you blender of a brain. And yes.... that was a metaphor.
I thought madonnalal responded to your sentence fully, regardless if it's entire or not. Berserk doesn't seem to be finishing any time soon, and it looks like we are getting chapters at a rate of approximate 8 chapters in 12 months. Your other idea about making a anime about the ending of Berserk sounds terrible too.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

There you go! Now do you get it superboi?

In addition to Eldos great explanations I'll just add my two cents to the list. These are more forum rules than the actual content of your thread.

Typically its a horrible idea to start a thread when the topic has been discussed in great length before. Secondly, its also a horrible idea to start a new thread as your first post. Go to the sticky thats for new members and start there. Only after you've posted several times(10 posts is the typical number) should you get an idea how people will react to your thoughts.

Lastly, don't be suck a Corcus pansy and leave the forum. Stick it out and hang around.

Oh yeah, if femto ever pisses you off don't let it get to you, its pointless aggravation.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I agree, the anime worked well for what it was. Having too much takes away from the whole. If you've ever read old American literature you'd understand. Puck, the Skull Knight or Silat would only have complicated and would have ruined the anime, unless it were twice as long. But then you could get the Gundam effect where the end is like a bad essay where the conclusion has nothing to do with the thesis statement. :rulez: Any movie would have to cut out everything except for the really big scenes in the main arcs. Those main arcs would be the Golden Age, the part where Guts is the Black swordsman up to when Griffith comes back, where we are right now, and beyond. The first movie could only be a retelling of the anime, but then you'd get the same dissatisfaction as people did with the Escaflowne movie. I liked the movie because it was a good retelling, but most people don't look at the product for what it is, but for what they think it should be and they didn't like it. I can forsee Berserk being the same way. Or we could get another Speed Racer :P.

P.S. I have my American Lit final tomorrow, so that's probably why I sound crazy.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Superboi wrote:And you guys can call me a "noob" all you want, but I've gone to school and I know how to read and write, and these aren't the first forums I've posted on. Theres not much to it, but if you guys want to be thread Nazi's, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the Jewish "noob" you guys throw in the gas chamber next.

So next time you quote something, please take the time to quote the entire sentence instead of misconstruing the idea that is trying to be conveyed into you blender of a brain. And yes.... that was a metaphor.
Judging from your reaction, this could be the very fist time you encountered the internet. Who called you a noob here? We just put your idea down, because it is obviously flawed. Eldo explained it very detailed so I just wanted to jolt in. :)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Superboi wrote: Ok.... I'm done posting on these forums. You guys take absolutely everything out of context. The example I was giving was nothing more than a hypothetical situation. I didn't think I needed to spell that out for all you Berserk elitists. I seriously think that you guys are looking for any reason to jump down the "noobs" throat as soon as you see a new poster.

And you guys can call me a "noob" all you want, but I've gone to school and I know how to read and write, and these aren't the first forums I've posted on. Theres not much to it, but if you guys want to be thread Nazi's, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the Jewish "noob" you guys throw in the gas chamber next.

So next time you quote something, please take the time to quote the entire sentence instead of misconstruing the idea that is trying to be conveyed into you blender of a brain.
OK...OK.....
Theres not much to it, but if you guys want to be thread Nazi's, then I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the Jewish "noob" you guys throw in the gas chamber next.
Huh?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Ok.... I'm done posting on these forums.
Haha I got worse pr than you did and I'm still here (it was mostly femto's boring ass)

Also see thread A.
http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... =31&t=3050
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

fujinsan wrote:
Haha I got worse pr than you did and I'm still here (it was mostly femto's boring ass)

Also see thread A.
You still here? :shock:
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

The Prince wrote:
fujinsan wrote:

Also see thread A.
You still here? :shock:
-_- see, mostly this dumbass as well.
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

Superboi wrote:So next time you quote something, please take the time to quote the entire sentence instead of misconstruing the idea that is trying to be conveyed into you blender of a brain. And yes.... that was a metaphor.
I'm surprised you took this so badly. All I meant was that Berserk is far from done. It's my expectation for the band's arrival at Elfheilm will mark the half-way point of the manga. That means that the second half could take anywhere between 15 to 20 years for Miura to write, perhaps longer at his current rate.

Oh and btw, welcome to the internet. Here is a useful guide to help aid you in the future if you ever choose to join a forum again: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lGBn71ORyYA
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

Really?? Are you guy still that dense? I guess I'll try to break this down for you, but it'll probably still get confused, misconstrued, and taken out of context AGAIN.

YOUR OPINION ABOUT MY OPINION NEVER MATTERS
superboi wrote:If you think there should be a Berserk Movie please post and give a few reasons as to why it would make a good movie (or bad movie), and what you would like to see in the movie (or not see).
This is in my first post, and though I realize it was kinda hidden in the rest of the text, I tried reiterating it time and time again only to have the idea gang banged by A.D.D. superstars that responded to everything ELSE of little to no interest to me.
Superboi wrote:The part I would want to see is obviously the part...
This part came after it, and its just my opinion and I can care less if you agree with it or not. As the first part says I just wanted YOUR OPINION. More specifically though I wanted your opinion on the MOVIE. Not your opinion on my opinion. I could give two shits what you think, I think should go in a Berserk movie, just like you could give three shits about what I think about what you think, I think should go in a Berserk movie.

---BAD Examples
The Prince wrote:How could you do the Berserk storyline and character development justice within 2-hour framework?
And as a fan of Berserk how can't the manga satisfy? It is what it is.
fujinsan wrote:
Superboi wrote:the whole manga (exculding Guts being with the Band of the Hawk)
You sir must be crazy for that comment, the band of the hawk ark was the most essential and badass, accept the starts a little slow then what you get used to in the manga.
Spoiler:
Avatar Of Desolation wrote:The entire berserk manga in a single movie? Maybe you could fit the amount the anime covers into it...maybe. As far as a series of movies...you may as well just have a second and third season of the anime. Besides there's not an actor alive that could do Guts justice.
The Herald wrote:Hmm, lets see, 295 chapters and counting, and you want to condense that into a two hour movie?...
Death&Rebirth wrote:So you cut 13 volumes of the movie? Specially the part that explains a good part of GUts character? Yehaa right. Just for that NO! Ah fuck it, even if you put it I'd say no.
So as you can see they all revolve around what I think about what should go in the movie, and not one of them shows what they think should go in the movie. I'm starting to think that most people on thee forums don't know how to be original and just post their opinions on other peoples opinions instead of the actual subject. If you don't believe me go here, and notice how the 1st ten posts are all hung up on the scenario the Original Poster gave.

---GOOD Example
Dagda Mor wrote:Yes, Superboi is misguided when he raises the idea of condensing the entirety of the story arc into a single movie as being the best way to go- at least as far as he can be on what really is just a matter of opinion. However, I think...
Dagda Mor is probably one of the few who knew what I was trying to get at. Though he didn't really give any insight as to what he wanted to see in a Berserk Movie, I am glad to hear that he will support the idea of it becoming a movie.

All in all what I'm really mad about though, is how I said the same thing over and over, and it just kept being ignored. You know what. let me ask a question, and you guys can answer for me.

If I had a dream about a Berserk movie, what specifically would I be dreaming about?
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I would not like to see Berserk as a movie because that form of media is not sufficient enough to tell the story. The story of Berserk is way too long and has too much depth for even a three hour period. All the "ADD superstars" are just telling you the same thing. We're still discussing the Berserk movie, the discussion just took a different direction than you'd like.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Wild Guardian
imanewbie

Post by Wild Guardian »

No.

Movies and Animes aren´t as powerful as books and mangas (AKA the ORIGINAL source), and I don´t give more credit to soundtracks and voiceovers more than the author, as many often do.

No movie or animation based on something has more depth than it´s origin.
Wild Guardian
imanewbie

Post by Wild Guardian »

BUT if someone makes an Berserk OVA, animation or movie, or whatever, I´ll watch of course. (And 99.9% sure that I will like the manga better than it.)
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Superboi wrote:Really?? Are you guy still that dense? I guess I'll try to break this down for you, but it'll probably still get confused, misconstrued, and taken out of context AGAIN.

YOUR OPINION ABOUT MY OPINION NEVER MATTERS
superboi wrote:If you think there should be a Berserk Movie please post and give a few reasons as to why it would make a good movie (or bad movie), and what you would like to see in the movie (or not see).
This is in my first post, and though I realize it was kinda hidden in the rest of the text, I tried reiterating it time and time again only to have the idea gang banged by A.D.D. superstars that responded to everything ELSE of little to no interest to me.
Superboi wrote:The part I would want to see is obviously the part...
This part came after it, and its just my opinion and I can care less if you agree with it or not. As the first part says I just wanted YOUR OPINION. More specifically though I wanted your opinion on the MOVIE. Not your opinion on my opinion. I could give two shits what you think, I think should go in a Berserk movie, just like you could give three shits about what I think about what you think, I think should go in a Berserk movie.

---BAD Examples
The Prince wrote:How could you do the Berserk storyline and character development justice within 2-hour framework?
And as a fan of Berserk how can't the manga satisfy? It is what it is.
fujinsan wrote:
Superboi wrote:the whole manga (exculding Guts being with the Band of the Hawk)
You sir must be crazy for that comment, the band of the hawk ark was the most essential and badass, accept the starts a little slow then what you get used to in the manga.
Spoiler:
Avatar Of Desolation wrote:The entire berserk manga in a single movie? Maybe you could fit the amount the anime covers into it...maybe. As far as a series of movies...you may as well just have a second and third season of the anime. Besides there's not an actor alive that could do Guts justice.
The Herald wrote:Hmm, lets see, 295 chapters and counting, and you want to condense that into a two hour movie?...
Death&Rebirth wrote:So you cut 13 volumes of the movie? Specially the part that explains a good part of GUts character? Yehaa right. Just for that NO! Ah fuck it, even if you put it I'd say no.
So as you can see they all revolve around what I think about what should go in the movie, and not one of them shows what they think should go in the movie. I'm starting to think that most people on thee forums don't know how to be original and just post their opinions on other peoples opinions instead of the actual subject. If you don't believe me go here, and notice how the 1st ten posts are all hung up on the scenario the Original Poster gave.

---GOOD Example
Dagda Mor wrote:Yes, Superboi is misguided when he raises the idea of condensing the entirety of the story arc into a single movie as being the best way to go- at least as far as he can be on what really is just a matter of opinion. However, I think...
Dagda Mor is probably one of the few who knew what I was trying to get at. Though he didn't really give any insight as to what he wanted to see in a Berserk Movie, I am glad to hear that he will support the idea of it becoming a movie.

All in all what I'm really mad about though, is how I said the same thing over and over, and it just kept being ignored. You know what. let me ask a question, and you guys can answer for me.

If I had a dream about a Berserk movie, what specifically would I be dreaming about?
:ignore:
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

dialdfordesi wrote:I would not like to see Berserk as a movie because that form of media is not sufficient enough to tell the story. The story of Berserk is way too long and has too much depth for even a three hour period. All the "ADD superstars" are just telling you the same thing. We're still discussing the Berserk movie, the discussion just took a different direction than you'd like.
finally. I was afraid this thread had taken a turn for the worst but back to the topic.

There are tons of anime's that have created movies afterwards. What about Full Metal Alchemist? I understand it would be far too long to base a movie off of what the manga has already told and would probably be better as another anime series if something were to be done with it, but that doesn't mean there can't be a movie. It just means that the movie won't be able to cover what the manga has. I'm sure there can be some untold story in Berserk or could use a series of movies to come up with an ending, and "that form of media" can cover stories like that.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

The only way I think a live movie could work is if all the actors bore perfect resemblance to the manga characters. Each movie should cover 1 major arc (after eclipse only) and be about 3-4 hours, definitely not less. But most importantly the style of the movie needs to be correct. Take for example LOTR, possibly one of the best movie adaptations ever. Even in that movie there are little things that are made up and added in just because it will make the movie more appealing to a family crowd. This is called Hollywood-ization. If Berserk could be done like LOTR but without any of that then it could be great. But in reality movies are about making money, and Berserk doesn't have a big enough fan base for it to be able to get a big budget. While it is possible for low budget moves to be good, I don't think Berserk can be done justice like that.

Now an OAV on the other hand is much more likely, and at the same time I think it would have greater potential than a live action movie. To be good I would say it should be about 15-20 hours total, and again it shouldn't bother including pre-eclipse stuff. OAVs can be excellent retelling of the manga. For example Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal were almost perfect in their accuracy to the manga.
Superboi wrote: There are tons of anime's that have created movies afterwards.
But there are none like Berserk.

and btw you could have just posted in this thread rather than make a new one:
http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... serk+movie
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

Wild Guardian wrote:BUT if someone makes an Berserk OVA, animation or movie, or whatever, I´ll watch of course. (And 99.9% sure that I will like the manga better than it.)
I could actually get behind this one. No one ever expects as much from an OVA as they do from a movie. With a movie, you have to catch everyone else up on what's going on, hand feed the audience some of the back story, and occasionally leave huge gapping holes in the plot. In an OVA, you just animate the manga and if someone hasn't read up to that point yet, they are screwed.

Actually, when I think about it, the Berserk PS2 game was a lot like an OVA. With the exception of that one kid apostle the story was taken directly from the manga. While I was playing it, I felt like I was watching a second season of Berserk, only with way better animation and more dedication to the manga. And that was a 8 or 9 hour game. So if you really want to see Berserk animated right, just play the PS2 game (after you modify your PS2 or buy a swap disk so you can play imports).
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Superboi wrote:
dialdfordesi wrote:I would not like to see Berserk as a movie because that form of media is not sufficient enough to tell the story. The story of Berserk is way too long and has too much depth for even a three hour period. All the "ADD superstars" are just telling you the same thing. We're still discussing the Berserk movie, the discussion just took a different direction than you'd like.
finally. I was afraid this thread had taken a turn for the worst but back to the topic.

There are tons of anime's that have created movies afterwards. What about Full Metal Alchemist? I understand it would be far too long to base a movie off of what the manga has already told and would probably be better as another anime series if something were to be done with it, but that doesn't mean there can't be a movie. It just means that the movie won't be able to cover what the manga has. I'm sure there can be some untold story in Berserk or could use a series of movies to come up with an ending, and "that form of media" can cover stories like that.
No.

May God have mercy on your soul.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Superboi wrote:If you think there should be a Berserk Movie please post and give a few reasons as to why it would make a good movie (or bad movie), and what you would like to see in the movie (or not see).
What I would like to see:
- Actors who can portray the characters faithfully and look like them. This is impossible however, as no one in Hollywood has the physique of the main characters (Gats, Caska, Griffith, etc) or the ability to pull those emotions off.

- Each frame of the manga faithfully produced, with each line of written dialog spoken. Impossible as well, this would take way too much time. Not to mention the fight sequences would look like shit. They would have to use CG for a lot of them as its physically impossible to swing Gats swords (he has several across the story).

- An actual ending. It would only make sense right? Such an epic story with intricate plot lines and more character development than you can shake a Shakespeare book at, and no ending? No way would Hollywood go for this. Look at where we are in the story now. Griffith vs Kushan while Gats and Co go to Elfheim to restore Caskas memory. It took Mr. Miura 20+ years to get to this point and theres no ending in sight.

- Personally, I'd like to see myself in the movie but that ain't happening either! :sweat:

What I would not like to see:
- Pussification of Gats
- Mannification of Griffith
- De-hotnization of Caska
- Non-inclusion of Puk, SK, Flora, etc, etc, etc.
- List goes on and on. Maybe we should make a thread based on what we won't like in a Berserk movie.

So please, for everyones sake realize how unrealistic your fanboy hopes are. No offense, but it was your liking of Berserk that made you try to justify a movies creation. I would say even if there was an unlimited budged, unlimited special effects, and unlimited time a Berserk movie would be horrible.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Originally, I had a post to counter Superboi, as everyone knows how much I love drama, especially when insults are thrown. But meh, what's the point? What I don't want is people following suit if I do - trash the thread/poster because I'm doing so. You're all entitled to your opinions on this topic without my influence. People who hate this thread and the idea of the movie, stay out of this thread. People who want to entertain the notion, then go ahead. Obviously, new people are bound to make thread topics - I can't keep on locking them, because I find it incredible tedious. I'm staying out of this thread, but I will lock it anytime this starts getting out of hand.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am