Berserk 292 - Mist of Death

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk 292 - Mist of Death

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Personally, I'd request to keep the nose scar, but that's me. ;)

I doubt Gatts is going to get his arm back, or even his eye, for that matter. I guess we can only wait and see though. The question is, if you asked Gatts, what would he say. I think he'd like to have his arm back, whether the metal one is more useful or not. I mean, we can only specualate, and I don't know from experience, but if I ever lost an arm, I would definitely want it back. I mean, the metal arm has a lot of advantages, but there's still a lot of subtle yet significant reasons why having your real arm would be more desireable. It's not like he can't carry around a hidden cannon still, if he wants. :P
I agree, if it was me I'd want my real arm back. I just think that (for story/plot reasons) Guts won't be able to have his arm restored.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Also, the entire book has been dedicated to Guts' struggle to defeat creatures much more powerful than him. The eye and the hand was a symbol of what he lost during the eclipse, and how he turned these handicaps into an advantage. To me, if he heals his eye and arm, it's no longer Berserk and no longer fits into the theme of the story. Also, do we know that the Elf King is powerful enough to do that? Can he grow an arm into existence?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, as I said, I highly doubt he'll even get the option.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well, I don't want Guts to change in any way, and I don't think Guts does either. I'm just hoping that he gets healed enough that he's not in pain.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I'm with Eldo on this. What Guts has lost while failing to protect Caska helps to symbolize how difficult his struggle is. Also, symbolically, Guts' lost arm shows how he is the good guy. While apostles sacrifice their loved ones in an act of desperation in order to become more powerful, Guts sacrificed a part of himself in a desperate attempt to protect Caska. Undoing that symbolic act of self-sacrifice for others would just lessen Guts' epic struggle and his love for Caska.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well, symbolism is good and all, but the eye returning could be a whole new symbolism. I vote he keeps the metal arm, him cutting it off himself to save the woman he loved was one of the most powerful moments I have ever witnessed in fiction. The arm is a huge symbolism for what Guts is and what he feels, plus it's fucking awesome. But it would be nice to the eye see back because then the next thing he could see would be with it something good, like Casca healthy. Anyways, he would be a better shot.

As always, I'm interested about the rest of the crew. I could see the other characters getting alone time with each other on the island of Skellig. Isidro with Shierke, Roderick with Farnese ... Serpico with ... er ... Serpico. Dude he really needs a lady friend. This may belong in the stupid theories thread, but in sayin it here I actually mean it could happen; how about Casca is still pissed at Guts after she regains her sanity and goes for Serpico because he's similar to Griffith? He also did kind of take care of her, or at least accompanied her caregiver.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:Well, symbolism is good and all, but the eye returning could be a whole new symbolism. I vote he keeps the metal arm, him cutting it off himself to save the woman he loved was one of the most powerful moments I have ever witnessed in fiction. The arm is a huge symbolism for what Guts is and what he feels, plus it's fucking awesome. But it would be nice to the eye see back because then the next thing he could see would be with it something good, like Casca healthy. Anyways, he would be a better shot.

As always, I'm interested about the rest of the crew. I could see the other characters getting alone time with each other on the island of Skellig. Isidro with Shierke, Roderick with Farnese ... Serpico with ... er ... Serpico. Dude he really needs a lady friend. This may belong in the stupid theories thread, but in sayin it here I actually mean it could happen; how about Casca is still pissed at Guts after she regains her sanity and goes for Serpico because he's similar to Griffith? He also did kind of take care of her, or at least accompanied her caregiver.
Don't forget about Puck and Magnifico who at the moment appear to be hitting it off.

In regards to Roderigo, perhaps he may have the last laugh afterall, having played second-fiddle to Guts with respect to Farnese's attention. With Farnese being Casca's "annointed protector" and bathing companion, it will be interesting to see what kind of relationship Farnese and Casca share after Casca recovers her sanity. If Roderigo ends up with Farnese, perhaps he'll get a 2 for 1 gift set.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:But it would be nice to the eye see back because then the next thing he could see would be with it something good, like Casca healthy. Anyways, he would be a better shot.
While I quite oppose the notion of Guts getting his eye back, what you describe would surely make an awesome image. "The right eyes last light" was an awesome chapter title for a terrifying moment in the story, and that would be the polar opposite!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I think we both have valid arguments about his eye and I like your take on it too. We can just wait and see. Anyways, when did Roderick start being called Roderigo? Still a cool name, but the first one sounds better. Though, I like the idea of him getting Casca and Farnese. Maybe we could be in for another one like Volume 9? :smoken:
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:Anyways, when did Roderick start being called Roderigo? Still a cool name, but the first one sounds better. Though, I like the idea of him getting Casca and Farnese. Maybe we could be in for another one like Volume 9? :smoken:
Only Prince calls him that.

And anyway: Roderick would be so dead if he even thought about making a move with Caska. Guts would rip him a new one and then go all Duke Nukem on his ass. :shock:
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Aetherfukz wrote:
The Herald wrote:Anyways, when did Roderick start being called Roderigo? Still a cool name, but the first one sounds better. Though, I like the idea of him getting Casca and Farnese. Maybe we could be in for another one like Volume 9? :smoken:
Only Prince calls him that.

And anyway: Roderick would be so dead if he even thought about making a move with Caska. Guts would rip him a new one and then go all Duke Nukem on his ass. :shock:
He'd just better hope that Guts isn't out of bubble gum....
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

GODDAMNIT WHERE R U 293!
Turd Ferguson
notanewb

Post by Turd Ferguson »

The Prince wrote:GODDAMNIT WHERE R U 293!
Four months is the precedent for longest delay, at least as long as I've been here. We're not even to the halfway point of that wait yet, and who's to say Miura might not be going for a new record? Buckle down and prepare yourself for some possibly very lean times.
My stream of conciousness flows into a river of blood.
Yaen
imanewbie

Post by Yaen »

I'm reading these replies and it seems what I haven't come across yet is anyone mention that nasty crack in gut's soul. It was talked about a few times but was brought up when going on about the dangers of using the black armor or huddling around his bacon-state of a body. This crack was caused by Griffith but I don't think it heals because guts longs for his Valkyrie Caska to come back. If the elf king does work wonders, do you think he will do nothing for guts but instead focus on Caska as a sort of two birds one stone deal? I lean this way because all the trouble and pain guts gets is due to this close person he's blocked from over such a short physical distance.

I think Guts would like his real arm back again (the way he talks about it after he dives in after Caska) but I think he is more concerned about returning her to normal and being close to her before fixing his own wounds. It seems to me he puts her first and will take what he can get if it any rewards come from the life he has chosen. To me, Guts would probably think "whats the point of having an arm back to hold Caska when he cant be with her until shes cured".

Also, I think old guts would be hesitant to remove the metal arm because of all it does to keep him fighting, keep his blood lust going. The current guts seems more at ease with having no arm but he is not completely satisfied and it doesn't suit every situation, just the life he is accustomed to and the more frequent situations.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully I'm not sailing a flaming ship to seabed by jumping into discussion.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

No, that's a great post. Anything to distract us from these desperate doomsayers (the more you talk about it, the more you jinx it).

Anyway, I do also think that the elf king will help Guts with something besides curing his wounds. Maybe not his arm or his eye, but at least some upgrade to his arsenal or armor.

Alternatively, Guts was troubled when he couldn't rescue Caska from falling off the boat when he reached for her with his metal arm. And it was a very recent event, so I would think that if the elf king heals something else it has to be his arm. The scar on his abdomen might stay though. If the witch couldn't remove the brand, what chances does the scar have?

Whichever way you like to see it, Guts recovering his eye or arm doesn't go too far from the story and I wouldn't mind any of those outcomes.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

I'd rather they changed the hand cannon to something magical he could grasp things other than a sword with. Then he still has the missing hand and the added firepower the cannon gives him. But he can do something other than swing a sword if he ever lives through all this. It would be a slight ray of hope at the end of a very long tunnel. Even if its ultimately a false one.

And if the dwarven armor can sometimes move it (I think there was a thread or discussion about the hand doing things while he was in the armor) then why can't the king of the elves give him some kind of boon? :D
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

why must everyone try to shonen-ize berserk... it's unlikely that any flesh will be rejenerated... most likely the astral wound will be healed on guts, and he'll get some insight.. not much more... does guts really "need" even more upgrades? i like it best when he's the underdog and barely winning against the big foes... no one wants to see power level 9000 guts, they want to see holy crap how did guts pull that win out of his ass guts.. good morning
Bow to Golbez
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Sortep wrote:power level 9000 guts
Berserk Armor anyone? 8)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Sortep wrote:why must everyone try to shonen-ize berserk... it's unlikely that any flesh will be rejenerated... most likely the astral wound will be healed on guts, and he'll get some insight.. not much more... does guts really "need" even more upgrades? i like it best when he's the underdog and barely winning against the big foes... no one wants to see power level 9000 guts, they want to see holy crap how did guts pull that win out of his ass guts.. good morning
Seriously. I'm with Sortep here. Guts is not the kind of character who needs to be constantly "upgraded" with new magic. I think the Berserk armor (which simply enhances his own abilities by putting him into a "berserk" state) and the Dragonslayer (which simply allows him to cut high-astral beings, and has magic that he himself created, through constant battles) are about perfect for Guts. Regenerating his eye, or giving him a magic arm, would just cheapen the story. I think that scene where he failed to grab Caska is perfect for symbolizing that reaccuring theme in Berserk, that some things, once lost, can't be regained.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
Sortep wrote:why must everyone try to shonen-ize berserk... it's unlikely that any flesh will be rejenerated... most likely the astral wound will be healed on guts, and he'll get some insight.. not much more... does guts really "need" even more upgrades? i like it best when he's the underdog and barely winning against the big foes... no one wants to see power level 9000 guts, they want to see holy crap how did guts pull that win out of his ass guts.. good morning
Seriously. I'm with Sortep here. Guts is not the kind of character who needs to be constantly "upgraded" with new magic. I think the Berserk armor (which simply enhances his own abilities by putting him into a "berserk" state) and the Dragonslayer (which simply allows him to cut high-astral beings, and has magic that he himself created, through constant battles) are about perfect for Guts. Regenerating his eye, or giving him a magic arm, would just cheapen the story. I think that scene where he failed to grab Caska is perfect for symbolizing that reaccuring theme in Berserk, that some things, once lost, can't be regained.
Interesting that's the first time I realized the symbolism of that scene.
Vancore
imanewbie

Post by Vancore »

Elf King to Guts

We can make you better, faster, stronger... or maybe not. In all seriousness though guts could become the magical equivalent of the bionic man and still be the badass underdog that he is simply because we as the readers have a clear knowledge of Guts limits. We accept his cannon arm because it can only be shot once, we accept that he is stronger then a normal man because he's marked, we accept the new armor because it clearly has problems. As long as whatever Guts gets from the Elf King has a weakness but helps him fight I'm fine with it. Although even if the Elf King offers something like a new eye or arm I can absolutely see Guts not taking the offer just on the sole purpose they are clear reminders of what happened to him and he (Like the readers) would probably feel a little cheapened by it. I'm not totally ruling out the eye tho because he did replace the arm so maybe something akin to a fake eye... even one without any powers could help him against apostles that target his eyes much like his fake arm helps him deflect blows.

Since the elf kingdom is probably the only place in the world of Berserk that hasn't been touched by the idea of evil (Presumably) I can see everyone coming back stronger with things that they could get from there... as long as it can break, wear out, can only be used a certain way, has a limit on what it can do, can be taken away if it doesn't seem to (like magically powered swords and cloths), etc...
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Every time Guts visited Goddo or when he went with the witch he got something new, it wasn't something extremely powerful or significant as achieving super sayan level 4 or anything like that, it was always something small but useful: An upgrade to his crossbow, the small bombs he can throw, a jynx that can keep the brand from attracting monsters. The only significant upgrades he's ever gotten were the Dragon Slayer, the arm cannon and the berserker armor, other than that the upgrades were pretty small.

I understand that you don't want him to become ultra powerful, but the Elf King is a fricking king, he has to have something useful, maybe a jynx to use the Berserker armor more freely, who knows? But I highly doubt they'll come out empty handed.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

Its not so much about giving him upgrades to fight the creatures... I think it will happen more because its been a while (and I'm sure its getting harder) to surprise us in fights with Guts. We've seen all his tricks, we've seen all his weapons and he's used them in about every way you can at this point. To keep things interesting both for us and for Miura to draw I could see him getting something like a hand upgrade. Its not about Shonnenizing it. Its about keeping things fresh fro the people who've been reading this year after year and know every way guts has to slash and stab.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

I maintain that nothing will or should happen to Guts.

There's only one reason why Guts is doing this trip and it's not to better armed.
All this trip is for Caska and it will be that the Elf King will help. Remember all the warnings of the SK, that's the key to this.

Also, Guts doesn't want to be magically imbued for better performances. It's not his aim anymore in going gong-ho against Griffith (at least for now), so there's no reason to better equipped.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Lord Rae wrote:Its not so much about giving him upgrades to fight the creatures... I think it will happen more because its been a while (and I'm sure its getting harder) to surprise us in fights with Guts. We've seen all his tricks, we've seen all his weapons and he's used them in about every way you can at this point. To keep things interesting both for us and for Miura to draw I could see him getting something like a hand upgrade. Its not about Shonnenizing it. Its about keeping things fresh fro the people who've been reading this year after year and know every way guts has to slash and stab.
Well that's what makes Guts so interesting. But if Guts wanted upgrades he would have taken the axe.