Do you consider Miura to be a genius?

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Skullomania
imanewbie

Post by Skullomania »

Don't know if any of you have ever considered or discussed Miura to be a genius ,but we have to admit it he is a very talented guy and especialy for a japanese.I persoanly do not think "HE IS" ,but after every few chapters i'm
getting more and more convinced that this artist is going to make a revolution
,whith his graphic style and method of approach.I do belive that after 10 years his drawing method will slowly approach those of the late renaissance.
What's your opinion?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well his art is genious thats for sure.

The first 20 so vols of Berserk was amazing artwise. It was so powerful and dark that i didnt know a manga could look like that.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I'm a genius at hyper self-pleasuring myself.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I consider him to be an insanely talented storyteller and artist.

He may even qualify as a genius, yes.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

LordMune wrote:I consider him to be an insanely talented storyteller and artist.

He may even qualify as a genius, yes.
My words exactly, except I would have used the word awesome some where and this :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I would say he's a genius storyteller, at the very least. He's probably (although I don't know for sure) not a genius in the classical sense, but in the realm of storytelling, I'd classify Berserk as a work of genius.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

his drawings are awesome , and the Berserk's story is in my opinion the best you could find in a manga .
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

As far as storytelling goes, no.

Alan Moore is more of a genius than Miura will ever be in that department.

As far as artwork goes, no.

*insert name of vastly superior comic book artist*

I think bold is a more accurate description of Muira's abilities.

At least it used to be.

:kekeke:
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:*insert name of vastly superior comic book artist*
Drawing a blank here.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

gen·ius Pronunciation (jnys)
n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius" Simone de Beauvoir.
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
b. One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
3. The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
4. pl. ge·ni·i (jn-) Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
5. A person who has great influence over another.
6. A jinni in Muslim mythology.
source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/genius

Here is the definition and yes he is a Genius in my book so take that Femto the Pot stirer :evil:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Drawing a blank here.
Bryan Hitch?

Eduardo Risso?

Jim fuckin' Lee?

Miura's artwork is great but I don't usually get the "Wow, this is fucking awesome!" I get from so many other artists.

But that's just me.

An artist's particular style might be more appealing to some than others so there's some subjectivity going on here.

Alan Moore is still just miles and miles above Miura in terms of storytelling though and that's fact, jack.

I've written way too much for this shitty thread.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

hmm , i guess you like a lot more the comic than the manga so that explains the reason of why you say that .
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Opinions are like assholes, every one has one... some just smell better then others, and yours stinks Femto :twisted:

Edit: Anyway you will be bowing down to Miura when all comes into focus, mark my words :cool:
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you didnt have awesome in your post sandman...im dissapointed. atleast you got the :twisted:
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Yeah, I'd say a genius in several areas.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Miura IS a awesome artist and storyteller if you compare to all the crap manga out there, but he's not the best and everyone has thier own opinions of who's thier favorate artist and what style appeals to them most. He's a great story teller but there are better ones, Naoki Urasawa for example.
Femto wrote: Jim fuckin' Lee?
He's fucking overrated.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Um, yes. Both in art style and story telling.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

ryusenka wrote:He's fucking overrated.
Jim Lee can draw whatever the fuck he feels like and that's another fact, jack.

Probably the only big artist from the '90s whose artwork still holds up amazingly today.

Todd McFarlane? Crap.

Rob Liefeld? Crap.

Erik Larsen? I like Savage Dragon, but he's no Jim Lee.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I consider this thread a waste of time. Now we have a thread 'this artist is better than artist X'.

But really, who draws better is a matter of preference. I think Picasso draws like a fucking drunk, other considers him a genius. Miura is extremely talented in my opinion, not only does he write, he draws the story he created. This isn't like a writer/artist collaboration like American comics. Comparing manga-wise, Berserk has the best artwork I've seen. I personally prefer sketches of Miura's artwork compared to other American artists' sketches.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
t.A
notanewb

Re: Do you consider Miura to be a genius?

Post by t.A »

Skullomania wrote:Don't know if any of you have ever considered or discussed Miura to be a genius..?
eeer nope.

Carl Friedrich Gauss was..
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was..
Albert Einstein was..
Leonardo da Vinci was..
Niels Bohr was..
and many more, but Miura IMHO is talented.

To say the truth in our days while reading the newspaper you can
find that even race horse or rap singer can be titled as "genius" (i
think that horse case is less humorous than the rapers:) ) so in
this kind of environment maybe Miura could be called like this, but
not in the original meaning of the word. More like -"Hey man, you
put on red and yellow socks - you are a genius!" .. :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:I think Picasso draws like a fucking drunk, other considers him a genius.
But he's not.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

t.A wrote:
Skullomania wrote:Don't know if any of you have ever considered or discussed Miura to be a genius..?
eeer nope.

Carl Friedrich Gauss was..
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was..
Albert Einstein was..
Leonardo da Vinci was..
Niels Bohr was..
and many more, but Miura IMHO is talented.

To say the truth in our days while reading the newspaper you can
find that even race horse or rap singer can be titled as "genius" (i
think that horse case is less humorous than the rapers:) ) so in
this kind of environment maybe Miura could be called like this, but
not in the original meaning of the word. More like -"Hey man, you
put on red and yellow socks - you are a genius!" .. :)
I think he is a genius cause there arent anyone near his level when its about art.

Just like there werent anyone in Mozart's time come near his level.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

t.A wrote:Hey man, you put on red and yellow socks - you are a genius!
I feel this, bro. Or whatever.

When I say Miura is 'talented', that carries, at least to me, a lot more weight than people nowadays associate with the term 'genius'.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:I consider this thread a waste of time. Now we have a thread 'this artist is better than artist X'.

But really, who draws better is a matter of preference. I think Picasso draws like a fucking drunk, other considers him a genius. Miura is extremely talented in my opinion, not only does he write, he draws the story he created. This isn't like a writer/artist collaboration like American comics. Comparing manga-wise, Berserk has the best artwork I've seen. I personally prefer sketches of Miura's artwork compared to other American artists' sketches.
I am not a fan of Picasso iether but to draw messed up style of his iether he is very very sick or very very genius.

You know whats funny about him, that he was poor most of his life a vagabond living on the little money he made of selling pieces that now go for minium 100 million dollars to the record breaking one of his that sold for 500-600 million dollars.
Skullomania
imanewbie

Post by Skullomania »

Libaax wrote:
Eldo wrote:I consider this thread a waste of time. Now we have a thread 'this artist is better than artist X'.

I am not a fan of Picasso iether but to draw messed up style of his iether he is very very sick or very very genius.

You know whats funny about him, that he was poor most of his life a vagabond living on the little money he made of selling pieces that now go for minium 100 million dollars to the record breaking one of his that sold for 500-600 million dollars.
You know if we're to talk about "Pablo P." i wouldn't say he draws like a "fucking drunk" .Because he is the person who is responsible for the discovery of all kind of art in the 20th century that is,making all other attempts for creating something new absolutely impossible.I'm not only talking about color painting,i mean when i'm saying all i mean everything you can imagine is finished by him.He did draw all kinds of realistic stuff ect. ect.but since he did all that i can understand why he is drawing abstractions.
Uh, and by the way i didn't think or consider Miura a genius but i thought
that many of you would say that he is.And what "sandman"said about what genius would be at many parts is right,but the "art genius" is something completely different,it is a man [not a woman]who has discovered something new,somehing that hasn't been done before,and eventually to reach it's top.