Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Post by Starnum »

I just bought this title, because I've been waiting for the conversion to PS2 since it was released for the Game Cube. I've only played it a little so far, but it seems really cool. Of course it looks great, and I think it's cool that some of the bad guys drop items. I'm having to get used to the aiming though, but that shouldn't take too long. In most of the games you have auto-aim, so this is a new feature. At least all of the guns have a laser dot, so that helps. Anyway, I'll update the thread as I get further into the games. Anyone got any shoutouts, or maybe some good tips?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Inferior port.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Meh, I am still gonna get the ps2 version, cause I will never lay my hands on a gaycube.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You don't know what you're missing.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I loved RE4 on GC. I think the scariest part of the game was the very beginning, because I wasnt used to the controls and aiming so I was shooting everywhere but at the guys running at me with pitchforks. Once you get used to it, its a blast. I enjoyed upgrading the guns too.

Tip: If you ever run into a boss thats a pain in the ass, blast him with the rocket launcher! Expensive, but worth it.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

the GC was an amazing game, but ill still be getting the ps2 version, just becuase the gme is worth it.
Saiyah
This is my new home

Post by Saiyah »

I don't see myself buying this game twice.

Honestly, I prefer this one on GC, the controls actually worked out really well and I'm usually complaining about it, but this is all just my opinion, buy if you must.
Nah, It's not true.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Inferior port.
Like Hell! That sounds like some bias crap or something. The only thing that may not be quite as good would be the graphics, and since they're pretty damn close, what the hell would that matter. It's the same game, but with more features. If that somehow makes it inferior, then I must be missing something. Anyway, I played more of it last night, and had a blast. I managed to get a lot better at it, now that I've got the feel for it. I took out El Gigante and then the horde of crazed villagers that was assaulting our cabin. That part took a couple of tries. This is definitely the best RE game I've played, and I've played nearly all of them. Only ones I missed were the ones on Gamecube, Zero is the only one coming to mind at the second. I absolutely love the lack of loading screens every time you open a door, that's just great. The aiming actually brings back the element of challenge, so I've really started getting into it. It feels good to waste guys with precise shots. Lots of cool new features too, like screen prompted counters during boss fights, secondary actions like knocking down ladders, money and upgrades, man it's just great.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Resident Evil 4 was developed specifically for the Gamecube before Capcom decided to port it to the PS2. As such, the Cube version takes full advantage of that particular system's capabilities and was built around a specific button layout. When you suddenly decide to port a game that really pushes the limits of the Gamecube to a lesser console like the PS2 you'll get a lesser port.

It's not fanboyism, it's a fact.

I played the Gamecube version months ago and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, the PS2 has extra features, but they are just there to make up for the fact that it's a lesser version of the Gamecube game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I assumed you had a good reason for the statement, and what you say does carry some weight. However, I'm curious more than anything. What capabilities have been lost on the port, which would make it inferior? Is there a maneuver that's missing or something? You mention the button layout, so what exact negative effect does that have? Have I lost an ability, such as free base jumping or something? Also, I wouldn't consider the Playstation to be a lesser console by any means. The only thing the Gamecube has on Playstation is higher possible graphical capabilities. However, it's the games that make the system, and while this is a subjective matter, I feel that the library of PS2 games is of a higher quality than that of the Gamecube. Not that the Gamecube is bad, they're both great systems *shrugs*.

I would've just played the Gamecube version, but alas, I do not own one. :(

However, the fact that they did the port brings me much joy, because I really wanted to play and own this game. Also, while I don't believe this is an inferior port, even if that were the case, I've seen much much worse. So, I'm quite happy with what I've got. ;)
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

I have the GC version, and plan on pirating the PS2 version cuz of the added weapons (like that super ray gun thing i heard about).

But what Femto says is almost definitely correct. The button layout on the Gamecube controller must be a lot better than the PS2 version's layout. All the maneuvers are almost definitely there, but it's just better to use the gamecube controller to pull off all that stuff because of the positions of the buttons on the controller.

Two different controllers, two different experiences. Look at both of them and notice the differences. The position of the analog stick is probably the most major difference. Those differences will have an adverse effect on how the game plays.

GC wavebird ... cuz i have a Wavebird 8)
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

PS2 controller
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/ima ... er-ps2.jpg
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have ordered this game and i will get on thursday the same day as it hits the stores. Cant wait it will be first RE since Code Veronica.

I dont care if its a inferior port since RE are on my fav games and i will enjoy it to max.

About th control there is no way that GC has better control,there just isnt......

About port, RE5 isnt a port it will be made specialy for us playstation players ;)
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I though Xbox360 was getting RE5 too. Damn oh well
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

It's for the 360 and PS3
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Libaax wrote:I dont care if its a inferior port since RE are on my fav games and i will enjoy it to max.

About th control there is no way that GC has better control,there just isnt......

About port, RE5 isnt a port it will be made specialy for us playstation players ;)
So how, pre tell, is the PS2 controller better than the GC controller? They used the same exact controller design for the original PS. It's got such a simple uninspired design. At least Nintendo is trying out new stuff.

Anyway, this isnt about what's better overall. Fact remains that the GC controller is just better suited for RE4.

No ones saying that the controls will ruin the game (since i bet they are decent enough on the PS2), but it is better to experience it on the GC. Especially since the new control system is what makes this the best Resident Evil game ever made (and one of the best games of this generation of gaming).

Also check out the screen comparisons for both systems ... you're missing out on some of the simple beauty that the GC version has.
http://ruliweb3.dreamwiz.com/ruliboard/ ... ft=h&time=

Oh and to go off topic. Will you all stop it with this whole thing of trying to prove that "your system" is better than the other systems that are out.
A) You have no perspective cuz most of you have just ONE system of the current generation, so all you're doing is trying to convince everyone and youself that you made the right choice in buying your system
B) Every system has good and bad aspects to them, making it almost pointless to aruge.
C) JUST SHUT UP! lol

In conclusion, don't speak out of your asses about things that you don't really know anything about. You're only gonna end up using the one sided views, on what systems are good and which are bad, that you have made up beforehand.
END RANT
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

You guys are all newbs. Its the same damn game. Both controllers have an analog stick and a button that puts bullets in guys, thats all you need. Who cares if one version is a little more smooth. It doesnt matter which version you play, you will have a blast either way.

Side note: If the PS2 controller is so perfect, why'd they change it to an ugly boomerang for the PS3?
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Gaiseric wrote:You guys are all newbs. Its the same damn game. Both controllers have an analog stick and a button that puts bullets in guys, thats all you need. Who cares if one version is a little more smooth. It doesnt matter which version you play, you will have a blast either way.

Side note: If the PS2 controller is so perfect, why'd they change it to an ugly boomerang for the PS3?
I just read a bit about it and the controls have a noticeably different feel to them when playin the PS2 version (which is a bad thing).

As i said, it's not something that's gonna ruin the game. I was just stating the fact that the GC version is better, if you don't count the extra features (though even with them the GC version is probably better).

Anwway, they obviously changed the shape of the controller to make it easier to throw it directly at the screen in frustration. Now, the controller won't fall short of it's target! :wink:
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

BasouKazuma wrote:I just read a bit about it and the controls have a noticeably different feel to them when playin the PS2 version (which is a bad thing).
Just read, huh? So you havent actually played both versions?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Gaiseric wrote:
BasouKazuma wrote:I just read a bit about it and the controls have a noticeably different feel to them when playin the PS2 version (which is a bad thing).
Sounds a little one-sided, eh?
BasouKazuma wrote:Oh and to go off topic. Will you all stop it with this whole thing of trying to prove that "your system" is better than the other systems that are out.
A) You have no perspective cuz most of you have just ONE system of the current generation, so all you're doing is trying to convince everyone and youself that you made the right choice in buying your system
B) Every system has good and bad aspects to them, making it almost pointless to aruge.
C) JUST SHUT UP! lol

In conclusion, don't speak out of your asses about things that you don't really know anything about. You're only gonna end up using the one sided views, on what systems are good and which are bad, that you have made up beforehand.
END RANT
I don't know who the heck you're talking too, but it sure as hell isn't me. I never said I thought one was better than the other. I think all game systems are great things. It's really a shame I don't own more of them. Now I may have mentioned my preference, but that's all. So I do hope I wasn't in mind during that little "rant". *Shrugs* Not that it matters...it is silly to think that one's better than the other though. Not that there's anything wrong with having a preference.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Well, I assumed you had a good reason for the statement, and what you say does carry some weight. However, I'm curious more than anything. What capabilities have been lost on the port, which would make it inferior? Is there a maneuver that's missing or something? You mention the button layout, so what exact negative effect does that have? Have I lost an ability, such as free base jumping or something? Also, I wouldn't consider the Playstation to be a lesser console by any means. The only thing the Gamecube has on Playstation is higher possible graphical capabilities. However, it's the games that make the system, and while this is a subjective matter, I feel that the library of PS2 games is of a higher quality than that of the Gamecube. Not that the Gamecube is bad, they're both great systems *shrugs*.

I would've just played the Gamecube version, but alas, I do not own one. :(

However, the fact that they did the port brings me much joy, because I really wanted to play and own this game. Also, while I don't believe this is an inferior port, even if that were the case, I've seen much much worse. So, I'm quite happy with what I've got. ;)
Basically, when you build a game for a specific console, you use that console's button layout to work with the game's content. When you port it to another system, you have to map different actions to different buttons when they wouldn't really work as well that way. Take Street Fighter 2 and it's SNES port for example, the original arcade has six face buttons and a joystick and the SNES has a D-Pad, 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons. You have to change the layout a bit and, while it might not mean a lot to people play games superficially (Gaiseric?), when you really get into the game, you start to realize why it doesn't work as well. Admittedly, the Gamecube and PS2 controllers are pretty similar, but the larger A button works better in this game, where every important action is done with it. The triggers in the Gamecube are very different to those of the PS2 and that's also another difference. I had the same trouble when playing Twin Snakes on the Cube after being used to the MGS games layout on the PS2, it just doesn't work as well. It's not that you "lose" moves, but the game itself changes because things a developer might've had in mind when designing the button layout will not work in another controller.

For the record, I am not bashing this game nor am I bashing the PS2. I have more PS2 games than I do for my Gamecube (though I've had my PS2 for much longer) and I do think that it has a larger selection of good games whereas the Gamecube has a smaller selection of truly excellent games. This has nothing to do with which console is better (not in a general sense at least, because the Gamecube is technically better than the PS2), it's about the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4. Personally, I think that if you really like the game, you owe it to yourself to invest in a Gamecube and experience it the way it was meant to be. If you do so, you'll find many other AAA titles on Nintendo's console and it is more than worth it, specially now that the console is at $100 brand new.

PS: Starnum is one of the few people I've met online that is completely open to other arguments and opinions and I really respect him for that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I dont think RE4 is so much better in GC and even if it was one great game isnt worth buying a console for.

If there was other games than RE4 that i wanted in GC i maybe would have bought it.

About RE5 it is exsclusive for PS3 a while then it comes to xbox. Which was my point RE5 is made specialy for us first and second xbox360 atleast according to the news i have read.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Libaax wrote:If there was other games than RE4 that i wanted in GC i maybe would have bought it.
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil Remake
Ikaruga
Twin Snakes
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine

I don't own all of these titles I admit (have played most of them though), but they'll make their way into my library as soon as I can afford the money to buy them and the time to play them. If you don't think RE4 is worth buying a console for, then Wind Waker most definitely is.

EDIT: How the hell could I forget the upcoming Zelda? :headbang:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Those games are the reason i havent bought GC.

I love MGS but i have played MGS1 100 times. I was so close buying GC for MGS:TS but i changed my mind at the last second.

I never liked Zelda,Mario etc im a Sonic kind of guy.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You owe it to yourself to play Wind Waker.

It's easily one of this generation's best games.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Gaiseric wrote:
Well, ya see, in my first post (first sentence) i had stated that i was planning on getting it later on. So that should have been no surprise.

I don't have to have played the game on the PS2 to understand that the position of the controls will effect the game negatively. I have a good understanding of both controllers and have visualized how things would play out on the PS2. I mentioned that i read some stuff that supports my statement, as backup.

My rant was mainly about Libaax. Cuz he had just mentioned something about RE5 being made for Playstation people .... thus trying to prove that sony is better or something .... It was definitely not about you Starnum.

Wind Waker may not be his cup of tea. Its a great game but some people just cant get over the graphics being cell shaded. Metroid Prime might be more enjoyable. It was game of the year too ... I got to get the sequel ... i got RE4 instead of that. Which was a wise choice though.

You forgot, Soul Calibur 2 (It's got LINK!), Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.