Most disturbing image(s) in Berserk (or other manga)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

DarkenRahlX wrote:And American Comics is the grandfather.
The grandfather are the walldrawings we drew to attract food.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

That would be an ancient ancestor.

Anyway to get back on topic... Another scene that disturbed me was one that occurred at the beginning of Berserk. Where the daughter gets killed then her reanimated corpse kills the father by cutting his head off.

Then you have the deformed guy at the beginning that helps Guts out. He was just nasty looking. I felt bad for the fact that he helped out Guts, but was executed. Then I thought about the fact that he was so ugly and that his wife and kids had been killed... Guts probably was doing the guy a favor buy letting him die.
the next hokage
imanewbie

Post by the next hokage »

the first chapter in the golden age arch with gambino selling an 10/11 year old guts is the most disturbing thing in berserk i think the hack and slash gore pales in comparison
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Another vol 1 scence that was disturbing was the count eating Vargus's kid whole!!!! Wow this makes me think that Miura drew this first Vol. to shock people into loving it..... well it worked now there are millions waiting for the next twisted thing he is going to draw. :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

That would've been a two-edged weapon. I wonder how many were freaked by it at the first chepters. If the anime would have followed that line I would have stopped reading it. I say that the pre-Eclipse part was the best.
Chris
imanewbie

Post by Chris »

Most disturbing ever, hum.. I think the anime was called "Mahou Shoujo Ai" or something like that. Its a girl that gets slowly impaled by a LARGE pole, after getting drilled in the butt by a mechanic tentacle. That was kind of nasty.

Other than that I'd say Berserk. I hate seeing peoples eyes pop out of their head when getting killed, and in berserk everyones eyes seem to do that. ^^
J2 Cool
notanewb

Post by J2 Cool »

LordMune wrote:A graphic novel is usually a crappily (or "experimentally") drawn comic book with too much text. The term is also used for regular comics, as to make nerds feel intellectual. Since I stick to manga, I don't have to make up silly names to make myself feel un-stupid. :P
It's not always used to fake an intellectual attitude. Consider Watchmen or Batman Year One. They're basically a story self contained within the book. There's not issues and issues of that material. Like a novel, it has a story to tell and tells it. The term really does fit for those books. That's why I call books like those graphic novels and monthly issues comic books.

And no, they're not crappily drawn. I personally loved parts of Sin City's art. Just look at the movie for how well it worked, though he began to use this style better in the later books. Also, Watchmen was beautifully done I thought by Dave Gibbons, same with Dark Knight Returns and Year One w/ Frank Miller. Personally, I prefer them to the general comic book stylings of what we see today. Though of course there are exceptional talents in that too.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Random comment. The chinese word Manhua means, "10,000 pictures."

"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

the next hokage wrote:the first chapter in the golden age arch with gambino selling an 10/11 year old guts is the most disturbing thing in berserk i think the hack and slash gore pales in comparison
He was nine when that happened. ;)
ucrzymofo87
This is my new home

Post by ucrzymofo87 »

during the eclipse, when guts sees gaston's head explode (brains and eyeballs everywhere) and the apostle came out of his head and slithered away like a serpent in the blood. oh man, that scene was creepy and disturbing
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I think this was one of the harshest scenes for Guts besides the rape. Because Gaston was his favorite, one of his best friends.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

I'm going to add some of toshio maeda's urotsukidoji manga & a movie called cannibal holocaust done by an italian.

An extremely grotesque comic by a spanish painter I know is elizabeth bathory now that series (8 issues by eros) gets extreme with torture and demon sex involving the hungarian countess :shock:

I'm surprised no one had brought up the elizabeth bathory series?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I'll just point out that a newbie necroing an old thread is generally frowned upon. You might want to be careful about that.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Well since the thread has been necro'd and I'm on a picture kick, lets atleast add something useful!

Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

From what I've seen, the Trigun manga's a bit more violent than the anime.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Istvan wrote:I'll just point out that a newbie necroing an old thread is generally frowned upon. You might want to be careful about that.

Nothing wrong with making an old thread alive for a reason.

He did talk about what the threads is about.

Necroing a thread for some stupid reason like an off topic stuff like "where is the newest chapter??" thats a bad thing.

I like what he is doing bringing back some threads and making the berserk forums more alive , thats better than seeing Berserk 279 thread who is 20 pages too long with off topic stuff.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Dagda Mor wrote:From what I've seen, the Trigun manga's a bit more violent than the anime.
ALOT more violent, believe me.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Yeah but I prefer the anime's art. The fights are pretty hard to follow in the manga too.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

It's the anime that I haven't seen much of- but I agree with you about the fights being hard to follow. Extremely annoying at times.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

dronedevil wrote:I'm going to add some of toshio maeda's urotsukidoji manga & a movie called cannibal holocaust done by an italian.

An extremely grotesque comic by a spanish painter I know is elizabeth bathory now that series (8 issues by eros) gets extreme with torture and demon sex involving the hungarian countess :shock:

I'm surprised no one had brought up the elizabeth bathory series?
I just want to also add that also amist the demon orgies & torture it does go into graphic detail of bathing in blood & skinning. but I havent been able to find much on it other than covers.

They are extremely grotesque which is why I'm guessing only eros comics has touched it in the u.s.
wotjesus
imanewbie

Post by wotjesus »

I'm probably going to have to go with the scene when Donovan raped Guts.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

You could probably post the whole of volume 13 in this thread, but if you left that out I would say the torture scenes with that crazy totem pole (Mozgus) were the most disturbing...

ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hah thats nothing in Berserk :P
Ash J. Williams
imanewbie

Post by Ash J. Williams »

The torture scenes aren't that bad. Most of them were real ways of torturing people in the days of old.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

And that ain't bad? They might not look that shocking on paper, but I know what I'd rather go through.

Besides, I bet most of the rape scenes have already been posted, so I went with something a little different. :wink: