Volume 13's Lost Chapter Remains Lost

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Does it make a difference to you?

Yes
46%
No
22%
Stop making useless threads Sandman
31%

Total votes: 54

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Volume 13's Lost Chapter Remains Lost

Post by Sandman »

I didnt know if this was resolved yet but the lost chapter is NOT in the US version of Volume 13. and to top it all off those bastards put a Parental Addvisory stick on the cover of the the manga instead of on the plastic wrap :evil: Its ok though I got it off with out a scratch on the cover :)

Anyway I am not too disapointed because you guys already profided that chapter :D Thanks Again EG... I would be lost without you :razz:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the thing is, we could all be mislead. what happens if muira changed his mind and removed the chapter because he wanted to take the story along a different path? there could be a multitude of reason for its removal...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

So how did we get the lost chapter?? Did he release it later or was it leaked??? Anyway I remeber it being said by one of the ModHand that Muira left it out because it gave to much information to soon. IMO I am glad it is in the hawks download.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

ya that is the general consensus. maybe i should review his interviews or the FAQ. I'm just saying muira is a mysterious man...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

You said it :beer:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

It was originally printed in the Young Animal magazine, but was pulled from the volume probably because it gave too much away. We don't know either. It could be possible that Miura just omitted it because it provided too much information to future plotlines, or if it was removed from the story completely. I think it's the former, and highly doubt it is the latter.

The Hawks were responsible for scanlating the chapter, and not EG. So the real heroes are them.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

ya the idea i had of him removing it from teh story completely was one of those ideas you come up with when you have nothing else to think about :roll:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

True, but I hate to think :x so I am glad the chapter was released... Also anyone who has the Internet and is reading berserk has found the hawks and the lost chapter and if they havent they wont have the larger scope of things... Could you imagine them trying to talk in one of the threads that has to do with that topic, that would be one rude-a-wakening :shock: If that was me I would be alittle pissed... but ofcourse they are staying true to the origanal :D
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

But as common as that chapter is, and easy to find (at least on the internet) I wonder how much Miura actually accomplished by witholding it because it gave away too much too soon. It seems like most people still know everything in it even after it got yanked.
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

What is the chapter's number that you're talking about?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, interesting. I guess it's time to edit the FAQ then. Thanks for the heads up. ;)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Anything I could do to help :cool:
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

it bothers me, but not on a day-to-day basis. however, i would be relieved to have found it, and got to read it. but im not counting on that.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

If Miura thinks it's a better story without the chapter, you can burn the damn thing for all I care.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Dagda Mor wrote:If Miura thinks it's a better story without the chapter, you can burn the damn thing for all I care.
agreed
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about it's removable.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The story as a whole isn't really affected, just some of our various speculations. However I think it'll be interesting to see how Miura plans to eventually give us the information instead. Though that probably won't be anytime soon.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

We've been following the story pretty close, and when it comes to the lost chapter we still have some pretty good discussions. Now, imagine if you had read that when it was supposed to...in the middle of the eclipse...

You might get quite confused...
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Khelegond wrote:We've been following the story pretty close, and when it comes to the lost chapter we still have some pretty good discussions. Now, imagine if you had read that when it was supposed to...in the middle of the eclipse...

I started reading berserk when the attack on Virtranis was just beginning. The lost chapter was a part of the scnlations I downloaded, and I read it right after chapter 82. It fit right in, and made alot of things clearer, especially just that Femto was indeed Griffith- he hadn't just been magically "turned evil".
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

No, he hadn't been "turned evil" but he did have most of his human emotions (at least the positive ones) burned out of him, which is worth keeping in mind.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

Dagda Mor wrote:
Khelegond wrote:We've been following the story pretty close, and when it comes to the lost chapter we still have some pretty good discussions. Now, imagine if you had read that when it was supposed to...in the middle of the eclipse...

I started reading berserk when the attack on Virtranis was just beginning. The lost chapter was a part of the scnlations I downloaded, and I read it right after chapter 82. It fit right in, and made alot of things clearer, especially just that Femto was indeed Griffith- he hadn't just been magically "turned evil".

Just wondering why you might think he was magically "turned evil" Given Griffith's ambition and actions, I never thought of him as "good." He might not have been "evil" although the murder of the Queen and manipulation of people to further his own goals certainly point to him being "not good."

I didn't read the missing chapter until I had read much further in the series. It's interesting to think that there is something that creates/guides/ismorepowerulthan (not exactly sure what it does) the godhand.

(Hey look I figured out that whole Reply vs New Topic thing)
Azrael
notanewb

Post by Azrael »

I think it's entirely possible that he pulled the chapter simply due to its notions of god.
God being a creation of desire, of human's desire - desire for reasons.

I don't really find that it corners Miura's writing, nor does it reveal too much. So that's why I thought it might be because some thought it too radical, or he thought it too radical.

I think it's a fantastic facet of the story, and personally, find it to mirror some of my own thoughts about religion.
"For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly."
- From Alan Moore's The Watchmen
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I thought it was a great element to the story myself. However, at this point it may not even be in the story anymore. We'll just have to wait and see really.
Jon Maitreya
notanewb

Post by Jon Maitreya »

The thing is, Void still refers to "The God Born of Man" in the manga, and we still SEE Idea anyway (He appears right at the end of God of the Abyss 1). Idea is explaining things to Griffith throughout the chapter, and then at the end our favourite White Hawk makes the enigmatic statement "God...?"

So just from the remaining manga, and from later statements made by Flora in the Spirit Tree Mansion, Idea still exists, is still 'created by man', and lurks somewhere in the depths of the Abyss where no magic user can go.

Therefore all signs point to either the chapter revealing too much plot OR Miura wanting a more subtle or entirely different angle. Personally as much as I LOVE the lost chapter, the story certainly has a deeper sense of mystery without it.
Last edited by Jon Maitreya on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

True, the broad outlines of Idea are the same regardless, but Miura might also have decided that he wanted to change some particular detail of the chapter, so anything that's only revealed right there is subject to potential change.