Berserk Episode 1 (parts 1 - 3)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

OK, I've edited Femto's post with the quote, and all is fine in this thread once again.

We can continue on discussing the first 3 episodes of the anime.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

This thread's just for the first episode Eldo ;).

It's just broken into 3 different parts on Youtube because of the filesize.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Oh, heh, I knew that. Well, not really no.

Haven't really paid much attention, selective reading at its best.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
the40thieves
imanewbie

Post by the40thieves »

I think this a great idea all around. I myself was introduced to berserk by the anime and it'd be fun to revisit it with like minded people and a fresh perspective after going so deep into the manga.

Personally I like the position taken by the anime to omit Gatt's early adolescense. With the way its structured around the golden age it really doesn't buy much to that story right now, but if I remember correctly those flashbacks are put in sometime down the series in a more viewing appropriate place.

One thing I didn't like about the first episde when I first started was hearing the American version call him Guts. I almost turned off my dvd right then an there expecting a real cheese fest especially with the huge sword and antagonist griffith wearing pink lipstick.

But the unbridled cruelty Gatt's showed to the snake when he was down and the twisted expression on his face was different from what I expected and got me interested to muscle through the cheesy name Guts and give it a fair chance, I'm sooo glad I did.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

psi29a wrote:
There was never a season 2 planned, Miura said he planned the anime to be like that so it would be one big commercial for his manga. This makes sense because the anime is purely about the golden age with bits removed that prevent you from moving on with the story with out really deviating from the manga.

Seems a little shortsighted on his part. Wouldn't he make more money with a 2nd season? OTOH if I hadn't seen the anime and wanted to know how Guts escaped at the end, I would never have started reading and buying the manga. That would have been a loss for everyone involved.

Skullknight is the entire reason why Guts is alive, SK is never mentioned in the anime. That alone makes it extremely difficult to tie into a second season. Puck may or may not be detremental to the story line entirely removed, please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

Seeing this episode reminds me how much i use to dislike puck. He always seemed out of place to me until I realized how he was vital he was.

I agree that without SK it makes it difficult to keep the story together. However I'm sure something could be done if Miura wanted. Given the horror of Bleach filler episodes, I don't think any anime should be considered until the manga is finished. So I don't get very excited when I hear the latest rumor of the mythical 2nd season.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Same be said of Kenshin, Naruto, One Piece, etc... it will always be the case.

I wouldn't be adverse to a 2nd season, however there will be some hard-core flashbacks to cover the SK/puck scenes that where missing.

However, I do have to say I like how the anime was encapsulated to just the of golden age (probably because that is only how far along Miura was in the manga), but more importantly that it more.... dark-hard fantasy, no ferries, no wizzards, no priests/clerics. It wasn't till Zodd (that creepy feeling) half-way through that things get spooky, then near the end with eclipse that things start to get a little super-natural. Obviously the creepy / ominious tone was set by this very first episode.

I remember seeing it at Otakon around 1999, I was hooked Fri/Sat/Sun watching all of it, twas a treat.
the40thieves
imanewbie

Post by the40thieves »

I agree the anime felt alot grittier and darker than the golden age arc in the manga.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:OK, I've edited Femto's post with the quote, and all is fine in this thread once again.
Don't you fucking edit my posts, you fucking fuck!
ic3y
imanewbie

Post by ic3y »

its so easy to just download the whole series torrent... why put it up on here or youtube?

the series is good btw
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Don't you fucking edit my posts, you fucking fuck!
Heh, OK, heh, I'll let you edit one of my post too...if you can. A free shot. Heh. Heh. Uh, heh.
ic3y wrote:its so easy to just download the whole series torrent... why put it up on here or youtube?
To encourage interaction and discussion regarding the first episode and make it assessible to people who can not access BT or other download agents. I think.
ic3y wrote:the series is good btw
Thank you for your valuable opinion, citizen.

reditor
imanewbie

Post by reditor »

Talking about the anime, despite Puck and Sk's absence, didn't you miss the other details that were removed from the story? I mean, Donovan's nowhere to be found in the anime , as well as the queen's(Charlote's stepmother) romance with the king's brother. I know those aren't critical for the story, but, to me, their lack made it a bit more confusing in some episodes. Am i wrong about that?

And about Puck, he isn't in the anime, but his medical dust appear, so we can say he still had a little role in it.
Stigmas
imanewbie

Post by Stigmas »

If your going to relive the Anime, you shouldn't forget the best part. :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Stigmas wrote:If your going to relive the Anime, you shouldn't forget the best part. :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search
if you are going to post a youtube URL, then do so correctly using the youtube bbcode.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

haha ya half the outtakes were pretty good...some were just lame
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

I liked all the outtakes, and the english dubbing was fairly decent with the Japanese (in places) being a -little- superior, but I like to watch anime where english fits, in well, english. So the region 1 releases were grand.

As for the series itself, as mentioned above, making a second "season" would be -very- "deus-ex-machina" because they would have to introduce characters like Puck, Skull Knight and (imo they should) events like the one with Wyald/Wild.

I can't see it happening for those reasons, though it would still be nice to see. As for the actual first episode, I think it was a fairly good presentation for it's intent (even if it's missing things, regardless) I also consider it somewhat nice to see the "Black Swordsman" drawn and detailed differently than he was in the first arc of the manga (for it being dated).
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

this smells like a spam...
this guy has been at it all morning...
damn he's good! :P
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Skullkracker wrote:this smells like a spam...
this guy has been at it all morning...
damn he's good! :P
Check out the spam in Current Events & Politics... I'm gonna give killfile a call.
Dark_Zilo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Dark_Zilo »

reditor wrote:Talking about the anime, despite Puck and Sk's absence, didn't you miss the other details that were removed from the story? I mean, Donovan's nowhere to be found in the anime , as well as the queen's(Charlote's stepmother) romance with the king's brother. I know those aren't critical for the story, but, to me, their lack made it a bit more confusing in some episodes. Am i wrong about that?

I agree with you on this but then the series would have been sort of deviated from it's "commercial" purpose. For it to be that way Miura should've planned it to be a longer series or with more seasons. Then it could have all those little details that we love about Berserk. I've just re-seen the series a short while ago and in my mind the feeling of loss from some of the manga parts was definitely there. Didn't stoped me from seing it in one day though. (just like the first time - 25 eps in a day - what a rush!!!)
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Man, that's over 8 hours of anime in one day, even I can't handle that much anymore. A while back I watched 13 episodes in one day, that was when I was watching Gun X Sword. That was about as much as I could handle though. I think the craziest rush I've ever had was the first time I watched Kenshin. For 3 straight days we ate, slept, and dreamed nothing but Kenshin. Heh, we started it, and didn't stop until we'd watched all 62 episodes. We were under time constraints, because I had to leave town three days from then, and we wanted to watch it all. When we weren't asleep or in the bathroom, we were watching Kenshin. It was a blast, but I wouldn't ever want to do something like that again, heh.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Heh, i to watched the whole series in one day.

Ive been wanting to do that again with some other series but there just aint any around thats good enough ;)
Groovy!
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

So, should I start new threads per episode, or continue to post 'em here and rename the title of the thread?
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Same thread, rename, just keep all of the video's on the first post.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I think it'd be more efficient to post them here and rename the thread. I think now would be a good time to post the next episode though. ;)
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

You also might want to link to each new video post at the start of the thread. (Please. Thanks for doing this, I definitely appreciate it.)
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

psi29a wrote:So, should I start new threads per episode, or continue to post 'em here and rename the title of the thread?

New thread please. Having many pages in a thread that deals with multiple subjects (even if it is as closely related subjects as would be in this case) just makes it too difficult to keep track of. I'd much prefer one subject per thread.