20050725: Opinion on Board Styles needed!

Evil-Genius' latest information on its current projects: Angel Heart, Biomega, Watanabe, and Zetman.

Moderator: EG Members

What Board Style do you like?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Aeolus (EG style)
50%
BBtech (Mindwerks Style)
50%
Neither, I have a better style and I posted about it below.
No votes

Total votes: 42

Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

To make things easier for Psi Tempest. That is all.

Any who, here are two that I thought were pretty shway on that site.

I like the Dark Sky more personally.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

So can we all agree upon something here or what?

I personally think those two Ayanami posted are a bit too simplistic for my tastes.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Femto wrote:So can we all agree upon something here or what?

I personally think those two Ayanami posted are a bit too simplistic for my tastes.
It is hard to find a board style that is really easy on the eyes. I thought that is what we were shooting for. I like the Dark Sky one, it is simplistic, but super easy on the eyes and has the functionality that BBtech does not have. At least it seems that way.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

If I had to choose between those two I'd say the Dark Sky one. I feel like I'm playing a horizontal shooter on a wide screen wit Explosion_Dark. All that dead space. I get the urge to flip my monitor. :wink:
ImageImage
Ellen
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Ellen »

It may be the fact that I enjoy sunlight. But I really don't like the extremely dark ones you people are picking out. It's actually harder to read because of the small font sizes too.
And the ones that Ayanami pointed out are... well... boring.
The one that Femto posted is a good middleground. But I still think that the Aeolus is easy on the eyes.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

That's the thing, we might have to compromise if we want this board to run more cohesively and efficiently. Having two different styles for psi to work is kind of a bother and, as I said, I'm willing to go with BBTech if it'll simplify things.

The one I posted would work pretty well regarding the light/dark aspect of the forums IMO. Who else is willing to go with that? I still want to hear psi's opinion on it.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

What does psi have to modify in the styles? I don't see why some members can't do some/most/all of the modifications.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

In the end, I am flexible as well. If psi really wants to put everything on BBtech, then I will grin and bear it. The one you posted Femto is probably the best out of the ones we posted. I guess we will have to wait on psi and see what he thinks.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

arke wrote:What does psi have to modify in the styles? I don't see why some members can't do some/most/all of the modifications.
Well, would you be willing to do it? I don't know how much site information psi is willing to hand out either.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Ellen wrote:It may be the fact that I enjoy sunlight. But I really don't like the extremely dark ones you people are picking out. It's actually harder to read because of the small font sizes too.
The one that Femto posted is a good middleground. But I still think that the Aeolus is easy on the eyes.
I second all of this
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Thing is, when an upgrade comes along, the templates for the different styles also has to be updated. Typically this updates are geared more for subSilver (default phpBB theme).

So, I take a bit of time to make sure the core is updated as well as the templates. Unfortuantly, the business logic and display logic are mixed together and not seperate. That will change in next big release by phpBB team.

I don't want to switch to Aeolus or BBtech, I would much rather find a unique template that only this forum uses. This creates a consistant feel for ALL users, guests and forum members alike.

As for modifcations, I only trust myself. No offense, but less people who have access to it (by it, I mean the server), the less I have to worry about. :P
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Does anyone know a tutorial for making phpBB templates? I would try to do it if I knew how it works.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

psi29a wrote:As for modifcations, I only trust myself. No offense, but less people who have access to it (by it, I mean the server), the less I have to worry about. :P
That's what I thought. :P

Honestly? Considering that you're keeping this forum up all on your own, I see no reason for you to start handing out the keys to it for relatively small stuff like this. Just be aware that if things get complicated, there are more than a good share of members here that'd be willing to give you a hand.

Regarding styles, what's the general consensus for the one I posted earlier (http://www.phpbb.com/styles/forum/index.php?style=136)? How many of us would be willing to use it as the default? Should I poll it?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

No poll yet, I want as many options as possible.

I like your template, but it is hella bright. Be aware that I don't mind going out and getting paying for a custom template either. So, it doesn't have to be free.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Alright then, I'll try to look for some more templates and see what I can get.

I hope others drop their 2 cents/styles as well. :wink:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I like what we have now. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Ive posted that site with the best ass skins ever like 2 times. However they cost like 30 bucks. If we decide to get that I'll try and help out.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I had seen those extremepixel styles before, but they're not worth the $30 IMO.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Ellen wrote:It may be the fact that I enjoy sunlight. But I really don't like the extremely dark ones you people are picking out. It's actually harder to read because of the small font sizes too.
Could it be the fact that you enjoy staring at the Sun? LOL...

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I demand an "Augh! Bright Aeolus template burn eyes!" user title.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Then there should be a "I haven't stepped in the sunlight in 3 years, so BBTech is perfect for me." user title.

:PLUS1: :kekeke:
ImageImage
Ellen
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Ellen »

Damien wrote:Could it be the fact that you enjoy staring at the Sun? LOL...
Grr... Just for that. BURN!
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Well, I personally like the dark sky one I posted. It seems functional and it does not "burn the eyes." To me, it is all about function.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Ellen wrote:
Damien wrote:Could it be the fact that you enjoy staring at the Sun? LOL...
Grr... Just for that. BURN!
ARGH! TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Bright sky fire, burn eyes!