Chapters 256/257/258

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Even if the group sails away with some members of Farnese's family, they don't have to take them all the way to Elfhelm. They can easily find a port to dump them...

Actually, I don't mind if Farnese's mom tags along with the group. She looks like a bored middle-aged lady, she'll most probably be interested in Elfhelm.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

bored seems right, but she doesn't seem middle-aged yet

haha: new addition to Guts's chearleaders
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Iemander wrote:Speaking of which, I have a feeling that Griffith is going to challenge Guts for a duel here, taking the Sonia - Shreike thing as a premonition.

I don't get however, why the God hands are keeping Guts alive. It's also funny how none of them save for Zodd as an apostle has any sense of honor.
Zodd seem to be a very old apostle so he have had time to grow out of the "eating humans all day" phase that other apostle seem to be in.

Also maybe he was a great warrior when he was human that can be the reason why he has so much honor.

The God hands think that Guts cant touch them so they don't care about him right now at least. Someday when thanks to Guts the number of Apostles are few they will have to do something about him.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Now what worse can they do about Guts? He already has the whole world aginst him, besides, they might even find the whole thing amusing. After all, they weren't that shocked about how the Eclipse turned out. But they probably had their jaws dropped when Femto had a way to return to the real world.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

she is Farnese's mother, so guess her age. I'm not gonna ask, it'll be impolite :)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I wouldn't be surprised if was only her 30's since in those days you got married when you were 12,13 yuck but true :P

Skullkracker:

What can they do to him? They can kill him in less than a sec ;) Right now they find his struggle amusing, I'll bet they will stop laughing when there aren't many apostles left to worship them.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

I don't think the Gond Hand is without limitations. They probably can't just interfere with the material world all they want. That's what they have the apostles for.

And the woman is not Farnazes real mother as I understood, or that of any of the two Vandemonion siblings we have seen so far.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I guess they are not only amused, but also get thrilled and feed on Gut's dense emotions like hatred... As they are pure evil, they might even like the destruction that Guts makes, even if he is killing their apostles.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

She called her mother so i think its her real mother.

About the GH they can just bring to their dimension and toy with him before they waste as Femto did in the beginning when Guts came to their dimension.
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Well, I remember SK saying he shouldn't be "in the tale". I'm not sure, but I guesse he's suggesting that Guts becomes a God himself so he can have a hand himself in forging destiny.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

wasn't there sth about Farnaze being so freaky becouse...whatever, I won't look into this anyway. but still, somehow I had the impression that she is not her real mother.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

No Guts wont become a God Hand that would be wrong since he has to sacrifice someone and become evil the hero cant do that.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

So, can't there be a Good God Hand?

de ja vue (or what): it was discussed with elemental kings destroying the capital of Midland once ...

wow, new title!!!
<-- note: no eyes
<-- note: BURN!!!
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Well, we don't know what the Godhand are and it seems logical that they've got opposites as well.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

No there cant a good God Hand cause they are the source of evil.
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

No, I meant that there must be anti-evil Gods out there too. It's only natural that good also exists, otherwise the entire world would've already died out ages ago.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I think the Idea was the only real god in Berserk.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

In this particular Universe, there is only Idea of Evil which is God. We don't even know what the "Church & Holy See" believe in as a religion. Whatever the case, you can't apply your concept and beliefs to the story because they are fictitious and probably can be made contradictory later by Miura.

EDIT: the idea of opposites has be discussed before, because... well, it is retarded. Berserk is meant to be bleak with no hope and total despair. There isn't any good to be had anywhere other than what Humans try to do to survive. The closest thing to "good" is the 4 Elementals and those are neutral in nature. Never once is there a mention of anything "Good", search the translations yourself.
Last edited by psi29a on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Well, take the witch for example, she tried to help people out in the village before, thus showing compassion. If the one and only God's sole purpose being the only controller of destiny was that everyone felt miserable and in pain while radically trying to slaughter all other co humans, how can people still get along that way.

If "Good" simply does not exist, how is it possible that people can still act with kindness etc simply said.

Next to that, Femto says at one point that people who mingle with Demons go to hell. So I wonder where people go to who don't mingle with demons.

Puck also seems to represent "goodness", so I figure Elfheim is a place of good.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

We might get a hint in "Good gods" in the next chapters. In Elfhelm, something in that sense must be said.

Cheers,

Khelegond
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'm really trying to be civil on this one: Just because evil is represented as idea and his god hand, doesn't mean there needs to be a representation for good. It's all what the people do. Idea was born by the people's / humanity's fear and hatred, it's much like a mass hysteria made physical in a way. Look at the Birth Rite chapters at the masses of hateful people, that's where Idea comes from.

And humanity is very easily capable of coexisting with evil. Personified evil will never eradicate humanity because that means losing its power. Only non-personified evil is truly all-destructive.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Iemander
imanewbie

Post by Iemander »

Idea was born by the people's / humanity's fear and hatred, it's much like a mass hysteria made physical in a way. Look at the Birth Rite chapters at the masses of hateful people, that's where Idea comes from.
Well? Doesn't that mean that it's very possible that an opposite of Idea exists born by humanity's compassion?

I think this is extremely self destructive Brainpiercing. Evil in Berserk is represented by people who are undeniably selfish and live by eating humans. I can imagine Apostles keeping themselves alive by breeding humans haha. Not to mention that Apostles and Godhands are humans in essence, thus they're actually killing off themselves.

PS: Why trying to be civil?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Why trying to be civil?
Because Psi wields the BanHammer with great prejudice.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Brainpiercing wrote:I'm really trying to be civil on this one: Just because evil is represented as idea and his god hand, doesn't mean there needs to be a representation for good. It's all what the people do. Idea was born by the people's / humanity's fear and hatred, it's much like a mass hysteria made physical in a way. Look at the Birth Rite chapters at the masses of hateful people, that's where Idea comes from.

And humanity is very easily capable of coexisting with evil. Personified evil will never eradicate humanity because that means losing its power. Only non-personified evil is truly all-destructive.
Well put Brainpiercing. Thanks for being civil, no need to bash the question as I do really think some people can't move on without thinking there is a "good" or at least some equal opposite. For all we know, there could be but with all the information we have from the Manga and Miura's interviews, there isn't anything in the Berserk Universe that is the opposite of Idea or the Godhand. Guts and crew are basically it, if you want some bit of 'hope'.

Remember, it is Miura's world. Not yours or ours, we are just along for the ride. Its a Dark-Fantasy for a reason. ^_^;;

LordMune: BanHammer! Thats friggen great, I like that. :twisted:
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

psi29a wrote:LordMune: BanHammer! Thats friggen great, I like that.
We've got to stop giving him those ideas...... :roll:
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.