Manga Viewer Program

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

BigSassy
Mastered PM

Manga Viewer Program

Post by BigSassy »

I thought you guys might be interested in a little program I made a year ago to read my manga collections on my hard. Right now it's pretty basic. Pick one or more folders with images and it will let you scan through the images from beginning to end with the arrow keys.

http://www.nokworld.com/ecrap/MangaViewerSetup.exe

I've decided to add some new features to the program over the next couple months. A lot of them will be small, but some of the major features I plan on adding are:

1) Bookmarks - Bookmark your favorite scenes (Zodd vs. Gatts fight for example)
2) Better GUI (Graphical User Interface) - The current one is pretty ugly
4) Organizer - Organizes Manga folder like iTunes with your music.
3) Auto-Download from Tracker - Checks if a new chapter is out and auto-magically downloads it through an integrated bittorrent client, decompresses it, and organizes it into the proper folder. No more checking for new releases every 30 minutes :P

I'm not sure if I'll have the free time to do the third one, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the other two done. Are there any features you can think of? Is there anything that you wish your image viewer could do while reading manga? Don't be shy with the suggestions. They can be as crazy as you can come up with.....well, maybe not that crazy :shock:
Last edited by BigSassy on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

This should be placed in the Computer section...but anyways... :P

Can it allow you to view images from within zip/compressed files without having to extract them? I use ACDSEE 5.0, and that's the only feature I like.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Nope, but that's a good feature to add.

*marks it on the todo list

PS - Yeah, I didn't know where to put this, but I figured this had more to do with manga than computer culture. Any mod can feel free to move this, of course.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

That's cool. Oh, and your numbering's wrong. :P

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

*stares at numbers

*tries counting to 4

*gives up and downloads Beck episodes
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

When you have added those new features let us know cause im intrested. Everything is better than my current manga viewer.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
3rdbloodage
Mastered PM

Post by 3rdbloodage »

visit this site http://stronghorse.yeah.net/
& search for ComicsViewer 1.19+
it's very good viewer .. actually the best viewer for compressed manga
Never Forget Image Never Forgive
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

If you guys dont have a good manga viewer i recomend the one you find in toriyamaworld.com its pretty good.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

My biggest question is "Is MangaViewerSetup.exe freeware, as in free to use and free to distribute?".
Dominion
This is my new home

Re: Manga Viewer Program

Post by Dominion »

BigSassy wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in a little program I made a year ago to read my manga collections on my hard. Right now it's pretty basic. Pick one or more folders with images and it will let you scan through the images from beginning to end with the arrow keys.
oh you mean like windows picture and fax viewer?
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

psi29a wrote:My biggest question is "Is MangaViewerSetup.exe freeware, as in free to use and free to distribute?".
Yes, Free to distribute and free to use. The updated version will also be free to use and distribute and the source will be released under GPL.
Dominion wrote:oh you mean like windows picture and fax viewer?
Yes, except that windows picture and fax viewer only let's you do one folder at a time. With my program you can select multiple folders and it will read straight through them.

I'll probably release an update to the program at the end of the month. The first update will have bookmarks and the ability to read compressed folders.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Yay! ^_^ GPL make me happy in pants.
TrueRush
imanewbie

Post by TrueRush »

i use acdsee 6 as well. lets me look at winziped compressed files. acdsee 5 would let me see thru winrar and winzip. i guess i dont have the latest plugins for 6.
nevets1219
imanewbie

Post by nevets1219 »

I use pixelComic -> it does the job nicely and is pretty simple.

There is another one called CDisplay that is really popular but it got a bunch of features I will never use.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Man I'm such a newbie I didn't even know there is something like a manga viewer >.<
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Bigsassy

It says application error when i try to start your manga viewer. Any idea whats wrong?
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I use ACDSee too. A little bit to many features in the newer versions but it does it's job.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, I'm really simple, I unpack all my manga, then move all the files to a single folder, and then use Irfanview :).

Yes, I know I could use another viewer, but my maxim when it comes to tool programs is "ONly one program for one job". A computer gets cluttered enough in any case.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
lch
imanewbie

Post by lch »

Another manga viewer program: http://netmanga.sourceforge.net/
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

well i just use that old-school windows picture and fax viewer since it does all that stuff anyways... i never even heard of this "manga-viewer" before now
i also just sort my manga by volumes which helps...

i dont wanna sound rude or nothing but i dont see the point in even using a separate program to view JUST manga when theres already a program that can do it

but anyways.... GAMBAREI!! (sp)
3rdbloodage
Mastered PM

Post by 3rdbloodage »

Never Forget Image Never Forgive
Frode
imanewbie

Post by Frode »

CDisplay rox your sox!!!!!

-_____-

^___^

It actually does.
>)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Comicer is the website of evil. That's all I have to say.