Berserk 312 - Girl of the Roaring Current

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk 312 - Girl of the Roaring Current

Post by Istvan »

Aldarion wrote:There are/have been human cultures that differ alot from the western system. Iirc, the viking judicial system was like this: If someone performed a crime against you, you could challenge them to a duel of life and death. The one who died was guilty and the one who remained alive was found not guilty. Western societies of present have pretty much the same concepts about good and evil but in the past and in non-western cultures things are much different. Just think of cannibalistic societies. How could anyone in their right minds justify eating another person? Well they can. In some societies it's ok to kill a member of your family if they have ruined to reputation of your family. In some societies it's honorable to commit a suicide if you've fucked up someone's reputation. What you see as evil might not be evil in the eyes of these societies. And if you are going to say that "they are evil no matter what they think", I'll just say that you can only judge them from your point of view. Or the majoritys point of view. But it's still not universal.
Most of these examples are differences in how you determine guilt and punish crime, not actual differences in what is viewed as right/wrong. Also, I never said that there aren't any differences from culture to culture; clearly there are. There are also universal commonalities. Find me (for example) a society that believed it was acceptable to kill another member of that society, of equal rank to oneself, who had done nothing to deserve being killed by you. For that matter, find me a society that believes it's acceptable to lie to fellow members of that society for personal benefit. And so on. To hold as an absolute moral viewpoint that all moral viewpoints are subjective is self-refuting and a contradiction in terms.
Aldarion wrote: Imagine a situation: You see a man about to fall on the railroad. You have a change to save him, but his falling would save five other people who are further down the railroad. Will you let him fall or will you save him? I doubt you can outright say what is morally right and what is wrong. What if on the other you had a gun and by shooting a person you could save five people? Surely in this situation it would be wrong to shoot the person? In these both situations it's your deliberate actions(or the lack of them) that will cause someone to die. If you think that murder is always inevitably evil, then one does not have anything to say whether he is evil or not.
These examples are meaningless to the present discutssion. I'm not refuting that some situations are morally ambiguous, and in regards to the example of committing murder to prevent a greater number of deaths, I already admitted above that sometimes one has to commit a lesser evil to prevent a greater one (this is a very dangerous and slippery slope, but that doesn't make it untrue), which in no way causes the lesser evil to cease being an evil. So I really don't see what the pint of any of these examples is in regards to our present discussion.
Aldarion
imanewbie

Post by Aldarion »

Istvan wrote:Find me (for example) a society that believed it was acceptable to kill another member of that society, of equal rank to oneself, who had done nothing to deserve being killed by you. For that matter, find me a society that believes it's acceptable to lie to fellow members of that society for personal benefit. And so on. To hold as an absolute moral viewpoint that all moral viewpoints are subjective is self-refuting and a contradiction in terms.
But aren't you now assuming that we don't do things like this because we are good? If killing is evil, then preserving life is good? I don't think so. I believe that we preserve their lives for the sake our own selfishness. They are capable of bringing us happiness. They are potential epeople to do businss with it, go have a nice evening and get drunk etc. If we on the other hand killed a person, we signal other people that we are untrustworthy; who would want to bring you happiness if they fear you will take their lives away? And then again, they can't bring us happiness anymore. It's a "scratch my back and I'll scratch your back" society. In the end it all comes down to our own survival. And we survive the best if we have people around us. I don't see any good/evil in this, only efficiency.

I might be missing the point once again ;F I just like to ramble about things.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Aldarion wrote: But aren't you now assuming that we don't do things like this because we are good? If killing is evil, then preserving life is good? I don't think so. I believe that we preserve their lives for the sake our own selfishness. They are capable of bringing us happiness. They are potential epeople to do businss with it, go have a nice evening and get drunk etc. If we on the other hand killed a person, we signal other people that we are untrustworthy; who would want to bring you happiness if they fear you will take their lives away? And then again, they can't bring us happiness anymore. It's a "scratch my back and I'll scratch your back" society. In the end it all comes down to our own survival. And we survive the best if we have people around us. I don't see any good/evil in this, only efficiency.

I might be missing the point once again ;F I just like to ramble about things.
Sorry, that argument fails the test of comparison to empiracal reality. If the only reason to avoid killing someone was their ability to help/please you and the fact that others would find you untrustworthy, then for most of history the logical action to take if you came upon a stranger in the wilderness would be to kill them and rob the body (at least as long as you felt that you were capable of doing so). True, there were bandits, but they were the exception, not the rule, and no society condoned them. Or again, in the case of a sinking ship why has it traditionally been that women and children get the available life boats (again in most every society), instead of the strongest people claiming them for themselves? No simple personal cost-benefite analysis will lead to such a result.

As a side note, I'll point out that killing is not necessarily the same thing as murdering, and you shouldn't conflate the two. Also, preserving life is not necessarily the same as saving a life. And lastly, your entire argument seems to be missing a point that I mentioned before, namely that motive does matter. Saving a life for selfish reasons (for example you know the child's gather is rich and will lavishly reward you) is not morally praisworthy, although it is not necessarily morally blameworthy either (unless you arranged for the child to be in danger in the first place...). Similarly lying is wrong, but if you lie to save an innocent from being murdered, that isn't morally blameworthy. The motive, and not just the action matters. Sparing someone's life simply because they're useful to you is not "good."
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Sorry for being a little absent in this discussion but I've been a little busy, though I've kept reading what everyone's posting. Good stuff overall, keep it going.

I think what Aldarion is trying to say is that every action, including the most noble, are egotistical in nature and therefore not good. The reason we do anything good is because we expect something back from it, the way we draw the line though, to discern a noble action from a despicable one, is by noting how egotistical the action was. If all someone expects back after saving a person from a building on fire is a smile, then we relatively consider it to be a noble action; if they expect to get paid for saving the person, then we might not see them quite as noble as we would have otherwise. Regardless of the setting, there's not a single action that doesn't have personal gain attached to it, whether the one who performed the action realizes it or not. Therefore humans are incapable of good, with that in mind, humans should also be incapable of evil (I think that's the conclusion he was trying to arrive to). For this though, you have to take Evil and Good as the only two alternatives of which only one is possible at a given time, which doesn't seem to be how you're interpreting the terms.

Anyway, I'm still at odds with you when it comes to characterizing Evil as objective, real and factual. These related terms essentially mean one thing, that they are undeniably true. They are, regardless of you anyone's interpretation.
Istvan wrote:I'll agree that for an action to have moral meaning it must be judged by some form of moral code
To judge means to form an opinion, a conclusion, in other words, to interpret. If Evil has to be interpreted to be discerned, noticed or recognized (note that I'm not saying defined), then it is not objective, factual or real. By this contradiction then, I contend that Evil must be subjective, malleable to the interpreter and subject to his influence.

I agree with you that Evil can only be present in sapient beings, but the reason why is because Evil is an idea. We communicate and share ideas, the fact that you can see similarities in the interpretation of Evil across societies is because it's an idea that we shared, you might even achieve consensus on what the idea is. But the situation remains, fact and reality are not subject to opinion, so regardless of how present an idea is among many, it can never be real or fact.

This is where my current conflict with your view of Evil reoccurred (I say that because it started much earlier). You can't say something in Berserk is the case based on some idea if you haven't first established that the idea is even present.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aldarion
imanewbie

Post by Aldarion »

Something we must also remember is that it is written in our genes to preserve our own genetic code. For this reason we do good deeds especially to our own children and those who are part of our family.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:Sorry for being a little absent in this discussion but I've been a little busy, though I've kept reading what everyone's posting. Good stuff overall, keep it going.

I think what Aldarion is trying to say is that every action, including the most noble, are egotistical in nature and therefore not good. The reason we do anything good is because we expect something back from it, the way we draw the line though, to discern a noble action from a despicable one, is by noting how egotistical the action was. If all someone expects back after saving a person from a building on fire is a smile, then we relatively consider it to be a noble action; if they expect to get paid for saving the person, then we might not see them quite as noble as we would have otherwise. Regardless of the setting, there's not a single action that doesn't have personal gain attached to it, whether the one who performed the action realizes it or not. Therefore humans are incapable of good, with that in mind, humans should also be incapable of evil (I think that's the conclusion he was trying to arrive to).
The problem with this argument is that it doesn't explain the way people actually behave. If all "good" actions are on some level self-serving, how do we explain the people who deliberately sacrifice their lives for others, as for example the person who throws himself over a grenade and thus saves the lives of everyone else in the room, but dies himself. Or the people who act annonomously, as for example the person who found both Bordwalk and Parkplace in the McDonalds Monopoly game and donated them annonomously to an orphanage. In both cases the individuals in question took actions which harmed them and provided no possible selfish benefit; in one case because the individual died, in the other because no one knows who did it to reward him/her (even by so much as a smile). So the argument that all good actions are inherently self-serving rings false to me.
War Machine wrote: Anyway, I'm still at odds with you when it comes to characterizing Evil as objective, real and factual. These related terms essentially mean one thing, that they are undeniably true. They are, regardless of you anyone's interpretation.
Istvan wrote:I'll agree that for an action to have moral meaning it must be judged by some form of moral code
To judge means to form an opinion, a conclusion, in other words, to interpret. If Evil has to be interpreted to be discerned, noticed or recognized (note that I'm not saying defined), then it is not objective, factual or real. By this contradiction then, I contend that Evil must be subjective, malleable to the interpreter and subject to his influence.
But for anything to have meaning/value you have to place it in the context of some system. For the terms "hot" or "cold" to be truly meaningful they must be placed on a scale (and we have at least three seperate scales in common use) and people from different parts of the world might interpret these things somewhat differently (such as someone born and raised on the equator versus an escimo living in Alaska) yet the concepts that the phrsases "hot" and "cold" refer to are real, objective concepts, and both groups of people are refering to the same basic things, even if they interprety/view what constitutes hot or cold in slightly different ways. In the same way a person from a more "moral" society might be more sensitive to an evil action, and vice versa, but that doesn't change the objective nature of the concept itself.
War Machine wrote: I agree with you that Evil can only be present in sapient beings, but the reason why is because Evil is an idea. We communicate and share ideas, the fact that you can see similarities in the interpretation of Evil across societies is because it's an idea that we shared, you might even achieve consensus on what the idea is. But the situation remains, fact and reality are not subject to opinion, so regardless of how present an idea is among many, it can never be real or fact.

This is where my current conflict with your view of Evil reoccurred (I say that because it started much earlier). You can't say something in Berserk is the case based on some idea if you haven't first established that the idea is even present.
The fact that something is only present in sapient beings does not mean that said thing is not objectively real, a "fact." The existence of language is a fact, and all languages share certain things in common (they have to in order to function as a language), yet only sentient beings possess languages.
Aldarion wrote:Something we must also remember is that it is written in our genes to preserve our own genetic code. For this reason we do good deeds especially to our own children and those who are part of our family.
So how do you explain the orphan, who is single and has no family, but nonetheless sacrifices his life to save others, thus giving up all chance of passing on his genes?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Istvan wrote:The problem with this argument is that it doesn't explain the way people actually behave. If all "good" actions are on some level self-serving, how do we explain the people who deliberately sacrifice their lives for others, as for example the person who throws himself over a grenade and thus saves the lives of everyone else in the room, but dies himself. Or the people who act annonomously, as for example the person who found both Bordwalk and Parkplace in the McDonalds Monopoly game and donated them annonomously to an orphanage. In both cases the individuals in question took actions which harmed them and provided no possible selfish benefit; in one case because the individual died, in the other because no one knows who did it to reward him/her (even by so much as a smile). So the argument that all good actions are inherently self-serving rings false to me.
Don't you like doing good things? Sure, someone who dies in a grenade blast wouldn't have time to take joy in his decision, but he makes decisions knowing the outcome. For an action to be the absolute noblest, it would have to be done without any knowledge of the outcome and without any kind of self-gratification whatsoever (including happy thoughts and any kind of solace). You'd have to be literally insane to be truly noble.
Istvan wrote:But for anything to have meaning/value you have to place it in the context of some system.
A rock exists without any input, inferences, value or meaning you can apply to it. A rock doesn't cease being a rock, or in any way change what it truly is based on your interpretation of it. That's what it means to be objective, factual and real. We can say, although, that the definition of a rock is subjective, because that is tied to language, and anything that exists only through language is influenced by us. We created language (at least our language) and language is therefore not objective. If Evil comes to exist after a declaration and not before, then it's not real. A rock on the other hand, doesn't need a declaration to exist, it exists and then we make a declaration of it.

I'd like to quote the article "25 reasons why I'm No Longer a Christian" (Source), just replace "God" with "Evil" and you got the same argument:
Without pointing to words, without relying on word associations, what can you tell me about God? If you can't tell me anything without referring back to word associations, then the word associations themselves[...] are meaningless since they also or composed of associations that cannot be proven and are nowhere in evidence.
The rest of what I said was following this initial idea, not another argument by itself, so don't worry about debating that.
Last edited by War Machine on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Some people here have been referring to society as a mere association of self-serving individuals. Thats not how society works. The failure of Hobbesian politics (as laid down in "The Leviathan", more specifically the part that describes "a state of nature") to predict the birth of modern Republican Democracies proves that.
Might doesn't make Right. Might is evident, self-asserting, while Right is precisely the contrary of that (the difference is better explained through the spanish words "Hecho" and "Derecho").
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Society is not composed of Homos Economicus (beings who work rationally looking for the highest possible gain, basing their actions on incentives), but Homos Sapiens Sapiens, capable of (though not necessarily inclined towards) altruism.

However, even if it was, morality is an integral part of any human association, and will always be there. Why? Because society is based on contracts, on "I do this for you and you do this thing, which is equivalent in value, for me". Once I do my part, I have the Right to demand that the other party do his. If he doesn't, he has attempted against the very fabric of society, has done something Evil, and must be punished.
Thus, evil is inherent to all societies, and since all societies are made of humans (and all humans have, essentially, the same interests in mind, such as "staying alive", etc...), all societies have to combat the same evils, with differences laying only in details.

As for the "motivation, action and context" thing, that's the Thomist way of evaluating the morality of actions, and is a 3 step method easily googleable for anyone interested. It's the basis for the "Natural Rights" which are the basis for the legal codes of many countries not ruled by the English system of common law.

PS: Evil is not a substance, it cannot be self evident in the same way a rock is, unless you consider the world from a dualistic perspective, in which case the objects of thought have substance by themselves (I am thinking of Descartes here).
And god as absolute negation, something that cannot be defined (define comes from "ended", fini, delimited) is a staple of theology. The very concept of god as causa prima (first cause) includes the clause that god must be something outside the universe, something extra-universal, something that isn't.
And now that I think about it, it has a lot in common with most definitions of evil. Probably just a coincidence, though it would make for an awesome concept if someone wants to write a Borges-que short story.

This debate is progressively getting messier and more interesting. So many approaches (political, philosophical, what seems to be evolutionary and more!) to the same question! Even I am not sure what my own stance is, and that makes this even more fun (funnier?).
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:Don't you like doing good things? Sure, someone who dies in a grenade blast wouldn't have time to take joy in his decision, but he makes decisions knowing the outcome.
That would seem to reinforce my point. If he doesn't have time to gain anything from it, and he knows going into it that he is going to loose everything and gain nothing, how is his action not altruistic?
War Machine wrote:For an action to be the absolute noblest, it would have to be done without any knowledge of the outcome and without any kind of self-gratification whatsoever (including happy thoughts and any kind of solace). You'd have to be literally insane to be truly noble.
That makes no sense at all. If you don't know (or can at least make a reasonable prediction) what the results of the action will be there's no way it can be considered noble. I randomly push a button on a strange machine I discover, and save 10 people's lives, that isn't a noble action anymore than if that same button had killed 10 people it would have been an evil action (extremely negligent, maybe). Intent is part of morality, and without knowledge there can be no intent.
A rock exists without any input, inferences, value or meaning you can apply to it. A rock doesn't cease being a rock, or in any way change what it truly is based on your interpretation of it. That's what it means to be objective, factual and real. We can say, although, that the definition of a rock is subjective, because that is tied to language, and anything that exists only through language is influenced by us. We created language (at least our language) and language is therefore not objective. If Evil comes to exist after a declaration and not before, then it's not real. A rock on the other hand, doesn't need a declaration to exist, it exists and then we make a declaration of it.
You're comparing apples and oranges here. A rock is an object; it can exist but by itself it has no meaning. Good and evil (like hot or cold) are part of a system of measurement; what they measure is real (just as if I said the rock was "heavy" that would be using a system of weight to give value/meaning to the rock, but what the declaration, heavy, refered to (a.k.a. the mass of the rock) would be a real thing).

Rolos did a good job of dealing with your final point, so I won't bother to repeat what he's said.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I should note before continuing that I'm carrying two conversations that, although similar, I'm not trying to connect in any way.

What I'm talking about nobility or altruism not existing in their purest form is that you can't do any action without getting something back if you do them with intent. Not physical or external gratification, but emotional and personal. That feeling that you did something good is self-gratification, and is something to expect back whenever you do good. I'm not saying altruism in the practical sense doesn't occur, only that the purest form can't happen if we aren't able to reject everything we get from the action, however menial the feeling may be.

Istvan wrote:Good and evil (like hot or cold) are part of a system of measurement; what they measure is real (just as if I said the rock was "heavy" that would be using a system of weight to give value/meaning to the rock, but what the declaration, heavy, refered to (a.k.a. the mass of the rock) would be a real thing).
Don't the words hot and cold change meaning? Hot as opposed to what? Cold as opposed to what? They're relative terms that change meaning based on context, the same way you seem to interpret Good and Evil.

Now, the word objective means to hold true for all cases, for example, 1+1=2. There is no gray area and this statement holds true for all cases where the premise is 1+1. If there is but a single instance where 1+1 does not equal 2, then my statement is false. It doesn't matter in how many instances my statement works, as long as there is a single situation where it doesn't, the whole statement is false. Note that I haven't defined what makes this situation true (it's the definition of Addition), but I can still use it to bring a conclusion to a premise that holds true for every case (within it's limits, where the premise is 1+1). Note that my definition of 1+1=2 doesn't change on the setting, if I have 1+1 apples or 1+1 cars or 1+1 planets in space, 1+1=2 is still true.

If Good and Evil are objective, then there must be a cookie-cutter way (a method, an algorithm), however complex it might be, to judge what is Good or Evil. A judgement no one else can effectively refute, and of which you can feel no remorse or guilt (since no Evil was committed in that judgement). You say you can't define Evil, but you say it's evident enough to be recognized and judged, so here's a simple challenge: Show me one action that will always be evil regardless of setting or opinion, that will hold true for all variations of it to every person that ever lived. Note that, if a single person disagrees, for whatever reason, then your statement will be false since the validity of the statement depends on a moral code, and a single person is capable of fashioning their own moral code.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. To say that God is supernatural or extra-universal already disqualifies it from being real. Not that there wouldn't be more to argue there, but if you apply this argument for Evil, then you'd already be saying that Evil is not objective.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Don't the words hot and cold change meaning? Hot as opposed to what? Cold as opposed to what? They're relative terms that change meaning based on context, the same way you seem to interpret Good and Evil.

Now, the word objective means to hold true for all cases, for example, 1+1=2. There is no gray area and this statement holds true for all cases where the premise is 1+1. If there is but a single instance where 1+1 does not equal 2, then my statement is false. It doesn't matter in how many instances my statement works, as long as there is a single situation where it doesn't, the whole statement is false. Note that I haven't defined what makes this situation true (it's the definition of Addition), but I can still use it to bring a conclusion to a premise that holds true for every case (within it's limits, where the premise is 1+1). Note that my definition of 1+1=2 doesn't change on the setting, if I have 1+1 apples or 1+1 cars or 1+1 planets in space, 1+1=2 is still true.
Sure, there's a degree of subjectiveness to the valuation of "hot" or "cold" (I deal with this in a previous post) but what they measure is real, and they can be used to make real, objective, meaningful statements, i.e. object A is colder than object B. It's only fairly recently (in the context of the history of humanity) that we have had a concrete, reliable system for measuring hot and cold, yet even before we had such a system the concepts still existed, and you could make meaningful, objective statements. I don't need the celsius scale to say that a pan of boiling water is hotter than a pan of ice cubes, and that statement is objectively true. The same thing applies to the study of good and evil. Even if I can't devide them up into discrete units of measurements, it is still possible to make real comparisons and statements with them. To say that the thing being measured doesn't exist because we can't yet perfectly measure it is foolish.
You say you can't define Evil, but you say it's evident enough to be recognized and judged, so here's a simple challenge: Show me one action that will always be evil regardless of setting or opinion, that will hold true for all variations of it to every person that ever lived. Note that, if a single person disagrees, for whatever reason, then your statement will be false since the validity of the statement depends on a moral code, and a single person is capable of fashioning their own moral code.
That's a meaningless definition of objectivity. By that definition your rock doesn't exist either, since there have been throughout history plenty of crazy people who would have declared that the rock doesn't exist (or that it is something other than a rock); and the same holds true for almost any other item/fact you could name. That's why science generally disregards the opinions of crazy people, by which I mean those whose perception of reality differs so much from the norm as to make discourse meaningless. Further, in the question of morality there are plenty of evil people (who even consider themselves to be evil) who would gleefully lie about the nature of good and evil to further their own ends. Now, if we disregard the opinions of crazy people and other such devients, and look to the views of societies as a whole (a far saner way of looking at it) I believe I have already provided several such actions that are universally considered evil. See above. Otherwise, by your definition of objective, we're left with each individual being able to prove nothing save his own existence (although you cannot prove to anyone else that you exist; nor can you prove that anyone other than yourself exists) and math. While this may be technically true, these are the only things you can truly prove, it's not a very useful way of looking at it, and so that's not what the term "objective" is usually taken to mean. By the common parlanance meaning of the word, yes, the existence of good and evil can be considered objective.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Istvan wrote:Sure, there's a degree of subjectiveness to the valuation of "hot" or "cold" (I deal with this in a previous post) but what they measure is real, and they can be used to make real, objective, meaningful statements, i.e. object A is colder than object B. It's only fairly recently (in the context of the history of humanity) that we have had a concrete, reliable system for measuring hot and cold, yet even before we had such a system the concepts still existed, and you could make meaningful, objective statements. I don't need the celsius scale to say that a pan of boiling water is hotter than a pan of ice cubes, and that statement is objectively true. The same thing applies to the study of good and evil. Even if I can't devide them up into discrete units of measurements, it is still possible to make real comparisons and statements with them. To say that the thing being measured doesn't exist because we can't yet perfectly measure it is foolish.
Yeah, but you're using relative terms for other relative terms, that's still not an objective definition (more of a practical one). Objective definitions don't contain the words hot or cold, rather they would say "Object A contains 'x' amount of thermal energy, which is 'y' less than Object B's thermal energy," even explain how that's the case up to everything that we know (molecules vibrating, etc.). We interpret from this that Object A is hotter than Object B, but what makes my assertion true is the statement before it. If anyone questions my assertion (as they should, cause I could be wrong), I only need to point to the fact that "Object A contains 'x' amount of thermal energy, which is 'y' less than Object B's thermal energy". That statement, supposedly measured and quantified, doesn't need my opinion to be true and it's a verifiable fact.

I guess another way to say it is that there's always some impartial, verifiable, objective, real, factual, truths that can be used to prove or disprove whatever statement you make. By these facts we can make a lot of inferences from which to posit that "Object A as hotter than Object B". This being factual as well only when proven to be based on other facts, but not factual by itself. I think it was David Hume who said that the truth of things lies in the description, not on our interpretations of them.

That said, we as humans don't use objectivism 100% of the time because it would be impractical, time consuming and very difficult. So for practical purposes, or to show an idea in the least amount of time, we use relative terms.

Although, if what you're trying to say is that there's some objective truth out there which we haven't been able to find or discern, that would prove the existence of Good and Evil, then all I have to say is "argumentum ad ignorantiam". That is not how we do science.
Istvan wrote:That's a meaningless definition of objectivity. By that definition your rock doesn't exist either, since there have been throughout history plenty of crazy people who would have declared that the rock doesn't exist (or that it is something other than a rock); and the same holds true for almost any other item/fact you could name. That's why science generally disregards the opinions of crazy people, by which I mean those whose perception of reality differs so much from the norm as to make discourse meaningless. Further, in the question of morality there are plenty of evil people (who even consider themselves to be evil) who would gleefully lie about the nature of good and evil to further their own ends. Now, if we disregard the opinions of crazy people and other such devients, and look to the views of societies as a whole (a far saner way of looking at it) I believe I have already provided several such actions that are universally considered evil. See above. Otherwise, by your definition of objective, we're left with each individual being able to prove nothing save his own existence (although you cannot prove to anyone else that you exist; nor can you prove that anyone other than yourself exists) and math. While this may be technically true, these are the only things you can truly prove, it's not a very useful way of looking at it, and so that's not what the term "objective" is usually taken to mean. By the common parlanance meaning of the word, yes, the existence of good and evil can be considered objective.
Your definition of Evil requires a moral code, the definition of a rock doesn't. That's the crux of the problem here. Objective truths do not require human input, they need not be judged or compared, nor do they need to abide by anything, they are by themselves. Since your definition of Evil is based on judgement, then all I need is a single disagreement to disprove it.

Continuing on the examples you made. I think it was Psi who noted that "people don't do Evil for the sake of Evil." Now, this next part is a little unfair since I'm using your words from a previous thread (I don't abide by everything I've said in every single post myself), but you seem to be on the same idea, so I'll go ahead. Feel free to reject this next statement:
Istvan wrote:Does anyone do evil for the sake of evil? Yes. We label them "insane", because the majority of people don't believe such action to be rational. They're part of the reason I earlier objected to trying to apply a concept of morality to 100% of people. But they do exist.
If people who do Evil for the sake of Evil are insane, then they are not doing Evil for the sake of Evil since being insane means to not be able to to recognize what Evil is. If you then exclude crazy people, then by definition, it is not universal.

If you could follow facts to a logical conclusion, then the conclusion can be considered objective, but you gotta prove that logic. That's why it's not objective, not because it might not be there, or because it can't be, but because you haven't proven it.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

So i will start on a bad foot here by stateing i have not had a chance to completely read through this as im pressed for time in going to work, but i have a question or two.

ultimately is the the motive behind the action, the action its self, or the end result that determines if something/someone is evil?

if same question as above?

i'll add more later when i get back from work.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yeah, but you're using relative terms for other relative terms, that's still not an objective definition (more of a practical one). Objective definitions don't contain the words hot or cold, rather they would say "Object A contains 'x' amount of thermal energy, which is 'y' less than Object B's thermal energy," even explain how that's the case up to everything that we know (molecules vibrating, etc.). We interpret from this that Object A is hotter than Object B, but what makes my assertion true is the statement before it. If anyone questions my assertion (as they should, cause I could be wrong), I only need to point to the fact that "Object A contains 'x' amount of thermal energy, which is 'y' less than Object B's thermal energy". That statement, supposedly measured and quantified, doesn't need my opinion to be true and it's a verifiable fact.
We can do this (measure the exact amount of energy) now, but for most of human history that would have been impossible. Yet even without the ability to perfectly measure the energy level's involved, the concepts of hot and cold still existed, and what they refered to was still objectively real, it's just the level of precision was lower. It's absurd to say that, without a system of measurement, the statement that "A pan of boiling water is hotter than a pan of ice" would be untrue, or subjective. The statement is obviously true, and any sane person will agree with it - regardless of culture or time period. In the same way, some actions have always been viewed as evil, and are obviously so, to the extent that any sane person will agree that yes, that's evil. The lack of a system of measurement in no way disputes this. Likewise, it's only very recently that we've gained the ability to measure the degree of electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum that's present, yet the concepts of "light" and "dark" are literally prehistoric. The ability to perfectly measure something in no way determines objectivity. As long as we can make relative determinations (object A is hotter than object B; room C is darker than room D) which are clearly true to any right thinking individual, one can claim that a degree of objectivity exists.
I guess another way to say it is that there's always some impartial, verifiable, objective, real, factual, truths that can be used to prove or disprove whatever statement you make. By these facts we can make a lot of inferences from which to posit that "Object A as hotter than Object B". This being factual as well only when proven to be based on other facts, but not factual by itself. I think it was David Hume who said that the truth of things lies in the description, not on our interpretations of them.
Hume also said something along the lines of even if you drop a coin a hundred times and it falls to the floor, you never now what it will do the next time you drop it; it might fall to the floor, but it might float up to the ceailing or something. Past events can never predict future occurances. Likewise he seemed to honestly believe that business about how one can only prove one's own existence (and math) and nothing else. While all of this may be technically true, it's the exact opposite of useful to behave as if you actually believed any of it; both our day to day lives and, heck, science are based on ignoring this kind of sillyness.
Your definition of Evil requires a moral code, the definition of a rock doesn't. That's the crux of the problem here. Objective truths do not require human input, they need not be judged or compared, nor do they need to abide by anything, they are by themselves. Since your definition of Evil is based on judgement, then all I need is a single disagreement to disprove it.
All forms of measurement do require a code, and a measure of both human imput and comparison. I am not claiming that good/evil are physical objects, any more than I'm claiming that "hot" or "dark" are physical objects. In all cases what these terms refer to is real, and the system of measurement doesn't become less real just becuase some crazy person chooses to dispute it. Hence telling a police officer that you weren't speeding because you reject the system of measurement he used to determine your speed probably won't cut it.
Continuing on the examples you made. I think it was Psi who noted that "people don't do Evil for the sake of Evil." Now, this next part is a little unfair since I'm using your words from a previous thread (I don't abide by everything I've said in every single post myself), but you seem to be on the same idea, so I'll go ahead. Feel free to reject this next statement:

Istvan wrote:
Does anyone do evil for the sake of evil? Yes. We label them "insane", because the majority of people don't believe such action to be rational. They're part of the reason I earlier objected to trying to apply a concept of morality to 100% of people. But they do exist.If people who do Evil for the sake of Evil are insane, then they are not doing Evil for the sake of Evil since being insane means to not be able to to recognize what Evil is. If you then exclude crazy people, then by definition, it is not universal.
Ah, sorry. I guess I wasn't clear here. I was using two different definitions of "insane" here. One was the legal definition, those who can't tell the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. The other was a more commonplace definition, for people who act in a radically irrational manner, such as those who believe in evil, understand what it is, and commit evil simply for the sake of committing it, with no other reason or motivation; such people are rare, but they do exist, and I think it's fare enough to label them as "crazy," even if they don't meet the legel definition of the word.
ultimately is the the motive behind the action, the action its self, or the end result that determines if something/someone is evil?
The first two. Motivation plays a big role, since some actions are basically neutral but canbe shifted either way by intent. In the same way some actions (for example premediated murder) are inherently evil (or good) but can be shifted to less evil/neutral by intent; circumstance may make the action necessary/justifiable, and although that won't make commiting such an action not evil, it is less so. The outcome doesn't play much role, since no one can see the future to always know the outcome of their actions. The probable outcome may be known, but that falls back under the realm of motivation.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Let me get this straight:
What's been discussed is whether good and evil (ideas) exist as self-evident truths? And that objective, self-evident existence implies measurability?
If it is, then: Oh my god, I've traveled to the past! To a time when rationalist and empiricists battle in the streets, ruthlessly aiming for each other's throats while quoting Berkeley, Locke, Hume and Descartes! I love the 18th century! This is awesome!
Hehehe...
In all seriousness though, does an idea exist if there is no one to think it? If your answer is yes, then, to be coherent, you must accept that evil exists, and is universal. If your answer is no, well, then, good luck arguing with the guys who said yes.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i thin the problem with identifing good and evil is in trying to make it universial, or with out a perspective, because it is something that in alot of cases can very on perceptive.

i think alot of people will without thinking about it identify someone as evil if their actions bring harm to someones plans/ groups/ ect.

when i say group i mean anything someone identifies with, be it a nationality, ethnicity, hometown, team, ect.

but then again why is it worse to kill a person then say a cricket? people we attach more value to our sentience or creatures of the same species?

in the end good/ evil is pretty subjective.

my personal belief is if someone is sacrificing something to help others then is can be considered good. if someone is purposefully harming others that no one, or only them selves benefit from it is evil. sure its more complicated then that. but i had enough of good vs evil playing 3.5 d&d

i personally think the motivation plays a large part in if something is evil or not, and the end result plays a large part because it is ultimatly what the perspective of the event is based off of.
Ziggamafu
imanewbie

Post by Ziggamafu »

Istvan wrote:
Aldarion wrote:To hold as an absolute moral viewpoint that all moral viewpoints are subjective is self-refuting and a contradiction in terms.
Be careful not to confuse an observation - or even a subjective perception - for an "absolute moral viewpoint". An absolute moral viewpoint would be something like "it is absolutely good, morally speaking, to insist on moral relativism". That is entirely different from making the observation (or acknowledging a personal perception) that morality is a subjective thing.
Ziggamafu
imanewbie

Post by Ziggamafu »

Whenever one does something that one personally deems immoral, one will always feel guilty. In other words, among conscious individuals, the existence of conscience seems universal. Sociopaths uniquely find everything to be morally acceptable - maybe even morally good - and are perhaps especially drawn toward things condemned by society, so they never violate their consciences because virtually everything is perceived as more or less "good". While the data of the individual conscience varies from one conscience to the next, the existence of the conscience itself (as the mechanism that "convicts" one of a personally perceived "wrong" decision) does not. "Good" (possibly interchangeable with "justice" or "virtue") is a universal concept. How the concept is striven for or defined by law varies, but the existence of the concept does not. The moral conscience is evolutionarily necessary. If what I've said is correct, then it would seem that "don't violate your own conscience" is the only absolute moral law. If you - you, not society - personally discern something to be immoral and you deliberately attempt to violate that personal "conviction", you will always feel miserable; guilt will be there. Sociopath's seem to lack any personal perception/conviction of immorality, which is why it is rare for a sociopath to feel guilt. Where it gets interesting is in observations of the inescapable bindings of the rule of conscience. We often violate instincts without feeling guilt (indeed, we often feel pride in certain violations of instinct). Yet we cannot violate conscience - our personal sense of morality - without feeling guilt. I think this is a mystery that is as provocative of debate as the issue of "freedom", at least from the naturalist perspective. People will come down hard on either side without really proving anything. Fighting for or against an idea is like fighting a shadow. The only way to kill it is to kill the person casting it and there is no reason to defend a shadow that is cast merely by standing there.