Berserk 306 - Fantasia

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: Berserk 306 - Fantasia

Post by dialdfordesi »

I could do without the rape. I'd like to see how fucked the minds of all the Midlanders will become and how they will adapt to the new world. I wonder, since this is a world for demons, will Griffith be manifest as Femto or will he hide behind his human form?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I'd presume that he'll continue to pretend (for the sake of the humans) that he's a human. Maybe eventually his other form will be revealed in a way that makes people think him an "angel," but that probably won't be for a while, if ever.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

This doesn't really have anything to do with this chapter, but still, I think everyone should know how far Gutts awesomeness permeates the world:

http://www.lurkmore.com/wiki/GAR
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:This doesn't really have anything to do with this chapter, but still, I think everyone should know how far Gutts awesomeness permeates the world:

http://www.lurkmore.com/wiki/GAR
Meh. I hate GAR (and not just because it means Gay for ARcher). The same with moe. Almost EVERYONE can be GAR, just as almost everything can be moe.
Vancore
imanewbie

Post by Vancore »

So finally, Act 3 has ended and Act 4 begins. Man the jet lag on that wash o fantasy across the world is gonna wipe out a good portion of the human population... and this is what people wished for? Magic is one thing, Magical creatures are completely a different thing, at least with science you actually have to go out of your way to create the beast that might kill you rather then having it pop up outta the netherworld. I wonder if the world was once like this in the past but forgotten and buried, like in skull knights time, and one of the things he tried to do was seperate the magic from reality. Not succeeding, of course, since godhand and idea found a way back. Anyway, just saying this type of 'fantasy' probably wasn't exactly the type of fantasy plenty of dieing people were wanting... or maybe they were.

Befuddled Farmer "I told ya you had a infestation of large land troll living under your dieing crops, I told ya and you didn't believe me!!"

Looking forward to seeing guts kill a dragon with the sword made for killing dragons.
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Vancore wrote:Looking forward to seeing guts kill a dragon with the sword made for killing dragons.
Ahem... Looking forward to seeing Guts slay a dragon with the sword made for slaying dragons. Me too.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

I think that the fact that these creatures exist in fairy tales and such is what is meant by people wishing for them to exist.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The people wanted a world where their wishes could mold reality itself.
In the mind of most people, only a world of Fantasy could allow that.
Thus, the world Griffith gave them, the world they, as a whole, desired, was a world of Fantasy (Fantasia).
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

So... be careful what you wish for?
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Ubik

Post by The Prince »

Interesting background regarding the origins of the name "Ubik". Randomly came across the name as I was doing a Wiki search on the movie Scanner Darkly. Its actually very interesting, and perhaps shed some insight to where Miura has drawn his inspiration for (not only the name of a character) but the actual story itself.

In fact I chose to include this commentary for this thread considering the complete existential mind-fuck the story presents to the reader.

Quote taken from the following commentary:
- The story presents unsettling shifts between realities and timelines, so that the reader is never certain what is real and what is illusion

- Ubik also references Plato’s idea of Forms, great universals that define the essence of all matter. When the world begins to seemingly regress in time and all objects in it become that time period’s version of that object,
??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubik

*Though the origins of Ubik may have been discussed before. Its worth bringing up now (again), at least in how it relates to the direction Berserk has seemingly taken recently.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Ubik

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:Interesting background regarding the origins of the name "Ubik". Randomly came across the name as I was doing a Wiki search on the movie Scanner Darkly. Its actually very interesting, and perhaps shed some insight to where Miura has drawn his inspiration for (not only the name of a character) but the actual story itself.

In fact I chose to include this commentary for this thread considering the complete existential mind-fuck the story presents to the reader.

Quote taken from the following commentary:
- The story presents unsettling shifts between realities and timelines, so that the reader is never certain what is real and what is illusion

- Ubik also references Plato’s idea of Forms, great universals that define the essence of all matter. When the world begins to seemingly regress in time and all objects in it become that time period’s version of that object,
??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubik

*Though the origins of Ubik may have been discussed before. Its worth bringing up now (again), at least in how it relates to the direction Berserk has seemingly taken recently.
Interesting find. It might actually make sense to put this in the Berserk symbolism thread, Prince.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I was considering that as well. You're right in that the premise is based heavily on symbolism. I ultimately chose to include things in this thread based on the events specifically pertaining to this chapter. Mainly because of the following reference...........

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Ah hell no! :P
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Ah, I can picture it now...

Aboard Roderick's vessel, Scherike finishes up a hard day's work teaching and practicing incantations, she yawns as she retires to her bunk. Apprentice magician Farnese still has work to do, tasked with bringing buckets of water for Caska's bath. "I'm not fit for such a job" she thinks, " Why can't Guts do this. Perhaps if I just..."

Minutes later, Farnese successfully endows her bucket with the power to carry water on its own. "Wow, now I can just sit back and watch!" she exclaims. But soon thereafter, she feels the burden of the tiresome day upon her, and falls asleep. The bucket, gleefully continuing its job, repeatedly gathers water and pours it into the bath. All the while, Caska looks on with the confused countenance of a block of tofu. Now, as Lady Farnese dreams of the wonders to be experienced in the magical land of Elfhelm, the bathing cabin begins to fill...

The visions of Elfhelm suddenly begin to flood with water! Upon a startled awakening, she sees Mr. Bucket eagerly dumping bucketfuls into the room. Farnese pleads with all her force for the bucket to stop, but it refuses to yield. By this time, Caska is playing in the water and making loud sounds. "Auu Ouu" she shouts. Puck hears this, and curious fellow as he is, enters into the situation. He immediately notices Farnese being forced back by a floating bucket, and decides to assist. "No one shall escape the power of my ultra-ultimate secret-technique - PUCKPOWER" he yells as he attempts a mid-air roundhouse kick on the bucket.... "AHHHHHHHHH!!!! YOU HAVE NOT DEFEATED ME YET!!! THERE ARE STILL MORE TECHNIQUES IN RESERVE!! YOU SHALL SEE!!!!"

During part of the commotion, Guts enters, Dragon Slayer in hand. A simple bucket stands no chance, and is swiftly cut down. "However, I am no ordinary bucket!" peeps forth from many tiny buckets that have spawned out of the larger bucket's fragments. Guts does not concede to a bucket, so he tears them apart with no heed, continually reducing them in size. But they persist. After more frenzied swings, the hull of the ship is struck - water gushes in!

What will happen next!?! How will Guts overcome this terrifying new foe!? Find out in the next chapter of Berserk: Fantasia Arc!!
7 months later...

Roderick immediately senses the change in the ship's movements and heads to the lower section to find a battle between miniature buckets and a giant sword. He yells to Guts, "You must cease this reckless battle at once! This ship will sink if we cannot repair it immediately!" Now, the entire crew have awoken and are hastily attempting to clog the breach by any means. Roderick and some accompanying mates try to reach Guts and the others, but the rushing water crushes any hopes they have of rescuing them. As he is pushed back, Roderick spies several tiny wooden buckets floating along the water scooping up water and pouring it back in. His quick wits tell him to wake the young master witch. Roderick fights the currents to head towards Scherike's quarters, though even the veteran seaman is unable to move easily through the turbulent waters.

Meanwhile, Puck vigorously engages in single combat with one of the dastardly floating foes. "Ah HAh! No match for me now! Take this, and that! Grrrrr!!!!"

Guts desperately clutches his weapon while swimming towards Caska, he will not allow any harm to come to her. Many of the crewmen have already fallen to the sea, and all seems lost, when Scherike appears, annoyed, but ready to save the day! The buckets then become extremely active, going to work in the most fervent fashion. Water is hauled to the deck and tossed overboard like no one has ever seen. One bucket takes Puck by surprise and carries him overboard... "YOU MAY HAVE WON THIS BAT- BLUB BLURB BLUB..."

The water does not dare flow near the angered Scherike as she extends her concentration to the damaged hull, after which nothing more can penetrate. As the water level is decreased by the bucket workers, the crew manages to make sturdy repairs to the hull. As the water nearly subsides, Scherike looks upon the embarrassed Farnese, who diverts her gaze. Thinking back to her own training, and of the mistakes of her past, Scherike decides to forgive Farnese.

Later...

Roderick sneaks into Guts room as he rests. As quietly as manageable, he grabs hold of the Dragon Slayer and starts for the door, lugging it with all his might, but it does not want to move. Roderick looks behind him to see a hand gripping the handle. He slowly releases the slab of iron and backs away and out the door. Guts hadn't been able to get to sleep anyways even though everyone had ordered him after the whole bucket ordeal. He then decides to take a stroll around the ship and see what the others are up to. Farnese is finally tending to Caska's bath, with the supervision of Scherike, of course. Roderick is on the main deck, defeating his weekly quota of pirate scum, while Puck satisfies his ego by recalling his heroic tale to the some of the drunken sailors: "Twas a merciless engagement tween the buckets and I, aye. Not a sole was left to their bucketin' ways I tell ya! Only a fair fight came about once their leader showed his woody planks. Aye, even then, his tactics were no match for the expert technique of a seafarin' elf! HoHoHoHo!!"

Guts saw that all was normal and so returned to his quarters... "Well gee, ya sure did rip off my story there guy!" Mickey Mouse said.

[spoiler]Image
BOOOM!!! There was nothing left... except another hole in the ship...[/spoiler]And with that, the magic finishes...
Vancore
imanewbie

Post by Vancore »

Istvan wrote:So... be careful what you wish for?
I'd say so, I'm not sure what I'd do if that boogyman I've always feared to be in the closet was now a real thing. Just cause I think its in there doesn't mean it is but I guess that's the idea... evil idea... course if the imbodiment of evil is a ever multiplying broomstick Guts is in trouble. All he knows how to do is cut.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Vancore wrote: course if the imbodiment of evil is a ever multiplying broomstick Guts is in trouble. All he knows how to do is cut.
Not true. That's what he's best at, but Guts is highly adaptable, or he wouldn't have lived this long. After the first couple of times it multiplied, I'd expect Guts to use fire or (if they're on the ship or something else that burns) simply knock down than trap/bury under a heavy weight each broom in turn till they were all trapped. Heck, on a boat he might just toss them overboard one by one and let them rot in the sea...
Aetherfukz wrote:Image

Noooooooooooooooooo!
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Vancore wrote:
Istvan wrote: All he knows how to do is cut.
He has punched someone in the face with his prosthetic, making that person's face explode.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

It took you all this time....... ?

You must be pretty quick on your feet.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Prince wrote:

It took you all this time....... ?

You must be pretty quick on your feet.
Well, excuuuuuse me, Princess for not having the time to read and post wherever and whenever I want.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

No..no...you got me all wrong.

You have posted plenty on this thread.....More than your fair share (as far as I'm concerned).

Its just that considering the title of this thread, I'm surprised it took so long for someone as clever as yourself to finally play the Mickey Mouse card.

Hats off to you! :thumb:
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Prince wrote:No..no...you got me all wrong.

You have posted plenty on this thread.....More than your fair share (as far as I'm concerned).

Its just that considering the title of this thread, I'm surprised it took so long for someone as clever as yourself to finally play the Mickey Mouse card.

Hehe, I had the Mickey Mouse image in my head as soon as I read the page with the Fantasia title in this chapters, some weeks ago. But I only took the chance to post the image when you posted the image from the manga, with Fantasia even marked on the pic :D
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
The Prince wrote:No..no...you got me all wrong.

Hehe, I had the Mickey Mouse image in my head as soon as I read the page with the Fantasia title in this chapters, some weeks ago. But I only took the chance to post the image when you posted the image from the manga, with Fantasia even marked on the pic :D
Well who knows....it worked for Kingdom Hearts.

Wouldn't mind seeing Guts team up alongside Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for some Apostle carnage (who knows Puck could get in on a threesome with Tinkerbell and Evarella).

I mean its not like things could get any stranger than p.18-19........
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Ahem.
*Waits for The Prince and Aetherfuckz to stop praising each other....and, after a mere couple of hours, they do*

Upon further investigation, it has become obvious to me that the term GAR is used mostly as a synonym for "hot-blooded young character".
To even hint that there is a relation between such a foul term and Gutts is not only insulting, it's borderline heretic.

I apologize for having soiled Gutts name in such an aberrantly indecent way.
I hope my God, Great Lord Turtle-Monkey-Godling will forgive me someday, because I never will.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

You are all obviously aware that it was a popular term, 'Fantasia', before the Disney cartoon, right? All Disney movies are based and named off of popular culture and mythos. Just take that one Mickey Mouse cartoon, it was based off an older story. The dancing mushrooms was put to the music of the Nutcracker because the Nutcracker was about fairies and fairies live in toadstools. Yeah that's reaching a little, but using Disney as a means for a joke really does open up other doors as to how Disney is a corporilisation of fantasy made real, at least to the young. As best Disney can. The Berserk world does not have televisions or comics or computers or film, or really anything other than books, but most of the populace can't read, so it's all in their heads.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That's because Disney can't make up anything good on their own, and when they do it sucks. All of their "classic" films are based on preexisting stories. Even the Lion King is a ripoff of something else. The only thing Disney is good for in my opinion is raping other franchises, for example, Kingdom Hearts. I'm not saying it was a horrible game, but it's just another example of how all Disney can do is profit off of other people's ideas.