Calling out to ALL BERSERK FANS with PS2's... Translation!!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Moyt
imanewbie

Calling out to ALL BERSERK FANS with PS2's... Translation!!

Post by Moyt »

Hello Berserk fans.
As you can probably guess I'm after having Berserk Millennium Falcon on Jap PS2 fully translated into English.

Here's the story in short...
Recently I was playing Namco X Capcom which is in Japanese and went to find some faqs online to see some item translations in English.
Only to stumble across a group who actually translate Jap PS2 games creating translation patches for iso's!

Yes I want that same group to have BERSERK FULLY TRANLASTED!! The project group is called 'Transgen'.
If any of you are interested in seeing this game translated I've made a thread on their request forums. These are the guys who work very hard to bring the Japanese goodness in English for games!
Here's the thread I made:
http://transgen.890m.com/forums/index.php?topic=119.0

By all means sign up vote and show the Berserk love!

Remember it's a request thread they've provided for us, so should we show a lot of interest this could be pulled off! 8-)
We have more of a chance seeing a translation there than Sammy even lifting a finger to even consider bringing this out in the West. I'm hoping we can make this happen!

Thanks Berserk fans :)
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Re: Calling out to ALL BERSERK FANS with PS2's... Translation!!

Post by DrPepperPro »

Ya it'd be really nice to have subtitles in the cutscenes, as well as being able to know what you're buying or upgrading in that menu where you spend the points.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well the cutscenes minus a few that are added for the game, are basically 1:1 taken from the manga anyway, so a translation isn't really needed. As for the upgrade menus:
[-----------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Gatsu ]
[-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------]
[ Name of Skill |Level 1|Level 2|Level 3|Level 4|Level 5][ Code]
[ Fortitude | - | 20000 | 60000 | 85000 | 95000 ][B3501]
[ Berserk | - | 15000 | 45000 | 75000 | 90000 ][B3502]
[ Sword Proficiency | - | 45000 | 90000 | N/A | N/A ][B3503]
[ Sword Mastery | - | 7500 | 15000 | N/A | N/A ][B3504]
[ Power Swing | - | 10000 | 25000 | N/A | N/A ][B3505]
[ Arm Cannon Recovery | - | 20000 | 50000 | 70000 | 90000 ][B3506]
[ Crossbow Gun Capacity | - | 10000 | 25000 | 70000 | 90000 ][B3507]
[ Bomb Capacity | - | 15000 | 45000 | N/A | N/A ][B3508]
[ Throwing Knife Capacity | - | 7500 | 15000 | N/A | N/A ][B3509]
[ Ally Skills ]
[ Puck (Fairy Dust) | - | 45000 | 90000 | N/A | N/A ][B3510]
[ Isidro (Salamandar) | - | 20000 | 40000 | N/A | N/A ][B3511]
[ Serpico (Sylph's Sword) | - | 15000 | 30000 | N/A | N/A ][B3512]
[ Schierke (Providence) | - | 15000 | 45000 | N/A | N/A ][B3513]
Taken from this faq: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/915029/36850

The only thing were a translation really would have been nice, are the mission objectives. I had to consult the faq to find out I had to destroy a tower at the city ambush (where Schierke saves the church) to trigger the next cutscene instead of fighting uncountable enemies.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Aetherfukz wrote:Well the cutscenes minus a few that are added for the game, are basically 1:1 taken from the manga anyway, so a translation isn't really needed. As for the upgrade menus:
[-----------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Gatsu ]
[ Fortitude | - | 20000 | 60000 | 85000 | 95000 ][B3501]
[ Berserk | - | 15000 | 45000 | 75000 | 90000 ][B3502]
[ Sword Proficiency | - | 45000 | 90000 | N/A | N/A ][B3503]
[ Sword Mastery | - | 7500 | 15000 | N/A | N/A ][B3504]
[ Power Swing | - | 10000 | 25000 | N/A | N/A ][B3505]
[ Arm Cannon Recovery | - | 20000 | 50000 | 70000 | 90000 ][B3506]
[ Crossbow Gun Capacity | - | 10000 | 25000 | 70000 | 90000 ][B3507]
[ Bomb Capacity | - | 15000 | 45000 | N/A | N/A ][B3508]
[ Throwing Knife Capacity | - | 7500 | 15000 | N/A | N/A ][B3509]
[ Ally Skills ]
[ Puck (Fairy Dust) | - | 45000 | 90000 | N/A | N/A ][B3510]
[ Isidro (Salamandar) | - | 20000 | 40000 | N/A | N/A ][B3511]
[ Serpico (Sylph's Sword) | - | 15000 | 30000 | N/A | N/A ][B3512]
[ Schierke (Providence) | - | 15000 | 45000 | N/A | N/A ][B3513]
Taken from this faq: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/915029/36850

The only thing were a translation really would have been nice, are the mission objectives. I had to consult the faq to find out I had to destroy a tower at the city ambush (where Schierke saves the church) to trigger the next cutscene instead of fighting uncountable enemies.

go vote on it anyways
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Can't vote without registering, and can't really be bothered to register for yet another service.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Er, I'm either tired or all that didn't make complete sense. Is this like a petition to have Sammy release the game with English subtitles or something? Would the game play on normal American PS2's? At first I was thinking it was just a text translation you could go read or something, and I was like "what's the big deal?", heh. I've already beat the Japanese version of this game, and I didn't have any trouble with the menus. Having read the manga, I pretty much knew what was going on, but subs would be cool. Also, it kind of sounded like this would only be available for computer emulations, which doesn't interest me. Maybe if I can get some clarification here, I can be bothered to go vote or whatever. :)
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

It would be fan translated basically, and you would apply some kind of patch to a downloaded or burned .iso file. It would work for a ps2, as long as you got a mod chip or whatever. And the translations would be changing all the in game menus to english, and subs for the cutscenes. And ya I played the game fine too in japanese, but why not vote for making and english version? It'll help spread the word if it gets released, make some more people interested.

It'll only take like 30 seconds to a minute, they only ask for email but not for email confirmation.

edit: I'm not sure about normal ps2s playing it. I'm sure the group could probably make that work if they know how to edit the file data and stuff.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely for the spreading of the Berserk word. I was just trying to figure out exactly how this worked. I didn't use a mod-chip, I just played it on a Japanese system. There is definitely good in this, though I would prefer a true English release of the game, I suppose something's better than nothing.
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Hi. Sorry for not making things clear. As far as I'm aware you would need a modified ps2 machine to play this. There are also non-mod methods such as bootable swap discs to play dvdr games, but I've never really tried that out as mine is chipd.

Thanks DrPepperPro for explaining things.

I would def prefer a true English release also.... but it's not going to happen from the looks of things.
This is as good as it will probably ever get, IF the project ever takes off that is.
I guess spreading the news of a possible translation after many years of the game being released is flat now, which doesn't surprise me as there are guides out there. Also as with all Berserk fans who have read the Manga know what's going on in the game anyhow, so a translation is no big deal to them which I understand. But this is the only best time the opportunity has risen for such a project to take off.

I still think the translation project is a brilliant idea having Millennium Falcon in English at no expense, though I would gladly purchase off Sammy if they ever brought this game out over here.

This thread is just basically for any berserk fans who have ps2's that can play backups, and if they are interested in seeing an English translation of the game then by all means drop along on the link on the 1st post and vote if you like. Apologies for any confusion I should have probably put this in the 1st post.

No big deal if no one wants to vote or show interest in the thread I created, I'm not here to force votes on Berserk fans without modded ps2 to go along and vote anyways. I'm just spreading the word for those who might take interest with the right type of console to know what's happening.

I know I'd be gutted if this kind of news went past me :)

But you know all this could be for nothing anyways of if the programmers decide not take on the translation, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks

Edit:
There’s an item called 'Swap Magic' http://www.swapmagic3.com/ as a non-modified method that would run backups for all PS2 models. I would have no idea how this all works but thought I’d mention it as it is compatible apparently with translation projects looking at readme files.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, nothing wrong with spreading awareness. ;)
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Registration is really short, and can be done in one step on the webpage, no e-mail confirmation, just user name e-mail double pass, submit, and you're ready to post. So quit being a lazy bitch Aetherfukz.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Hello. Thought I’d drop by and give a little update.
After a month of horrible waiting I finally get the attention of the main translator who gives the go ahead for projects and it's thumbs up for this!!
But you know how it is.... when it's too good to be true there's a catch. And the catch is simply this game is difficult to translate programming wise. Someone who's very well knowledgeable in reverse engineering code is needed. Find such a person who's up for the task to work with Transgen and we have ourselves Berserk on PS2 FULLY translated!

Here's the link again to where it's all happening:
http://transgen.890m.com/forums/index.php?topic=119.0

Dammed if I know anyone who can do such a task but I will look. If anyone knows anybody who's gifted with such crazy skills pleeeeasse let me know or by all means point them to the Trangen forums.

I won't give up yet!!! 8)

Thanks again!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Man, I got no clue, but I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yeah, it would be awesome to have the game fully translated.....

I will pray for your success..... :stupid: (yep, thats Mozgus praying style)
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Thanks for the comments. Well I’ve asked at various places and kept people in mind who could possibly help (I won't go into detail). But let's just say I've spent a lot of time trying to kick start something off at least... nothing so far. There are still a few options left but it's running real thin. We'll see what happens 8)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Sorry, all I can say is "good luck." It would be really great if you can find someone, I'd love a translated copy of that game, but (like the others) I'm not aware of anyone with the skills you need.
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Thanks.
Well I've now come to a point where I am completely out of options and have done everything I can; I've asked in relevant (but very limited) places, and certain individuals who I think may be of help.
It's now a question of who will come forward with the right skills. Thanks for the supportive comments, hopefully something good will come out of all this.

Now I can only just sit (perhaps for a veeeery long time) and wait for something to happen...

Cheers!
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Hey guys, thought I'd drop an update here and let you all know that a number of things have happened these past few months and in the end I was successful! ***Soon we should see a translation patch!! 8) ***

Latest on the Transgen forums is 'You will see something soon enough'. How long 'soon' is I couldn't tell you.... but let's hope it's really really reaaaaallly soon! ;)

Originally I thought I'd see a little teaser for the fans in time for Xmas 2008, but that just wasn't going to happen.
Considering from their main news page how many projects they are taking on at the same time, it doesn't surprise me that it will take some time for a patch release.

For anyone who is interested in this project and has just caught onto this thread, by all means please show your interest and support at Transgen by voting and posting any supportive comments on the forums. Joining is quick and simple and you don't have to use a valid e-mail to confirm your account.
Any old posters by all means give another support post if you like. Thanks. :P I want the admins/programmers to know that we still have interest in this translation.

Just a matter of waiting now Berserk fans....Almost there!! :twisted:

Many thanks!
(here is the thread again: http://transgen.890m.com/forums/index.php?topic=119.0)
Axel Akutare
imanewbie

Post by Axel Akutare »

Hmm... With hopes on a patch that will make it easier for me to play this game that I'll have soon, I'll post my new interest in the matter.
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Thanks for your support Axel Akutare 8)
Moyt
imanewbie

Post by Moyt »

Translation in the works :D ....
http://transgen.890m.com/forums/index.php?topic=194.0

Getting there!
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Great!
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Fantastic! Keep us posted.