Announcement thread for release date of raw?

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Should there be an announcement thread regarding the release date of the raw?

Yes
60%
No
33%
Other (please specify in your post)
7%

Total votes: 15

Wib
imanewbie

Announcement thread for release date of raw?

Post by Wib »

Announcement Berserk Chapter 298(Raw) Release 24 October 2008

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40912
http://berserk-blutrache.de/2008/10/11/ ... bestatigt/
●表紙&巻頭カラー
圧巻の42Pにて連載再開!!
圧倒的画力で表現される異世界と衝撃のストーリー
比類無き最強のファンタジー・コミック

三浦建太郎 ベルセルク

最新単行本第33巻10月24日(金)本誌(YA21号)と同時発売!!
EDIT BY ELDO: I know that it is quite difficult for newbies and casual visitors of this site since it was probably mentioned in the past or in a thread somewhere. So, to make it easier for users to navigate and obtain information, similarly to the email notification system that arke is probably setting up, should there be an announcement thread made regarding the release date of the raw?

I don't really think we are obligated to do so and I'm not totally sure about this idea, but I guess we could post updates in the topic about the scanlation. I'm not down with this idea, as the staff had a discussion about whether or not we should be a progression bar on the website for updates and we blew that out of the water. But I guess it's much more easier to edit a post than to actually implement changes in the website. Either way, staff members get the final say on this.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Re: Announcement Berserk Chapter 298(Raw) Release 24 Oct 2008

Post by DrPepperPro »

That's nice.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Thanks for that, but many of us has known about that for some time...since last week or so, in fact.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Not only is this old news, but we don't need people who aren't really members of the EG team to post this kind of stuff. Should I go ahead and lock this Eldo? I think one of us should anyway. You can do the honors if you like.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

yes kill it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Give the people what they want, I say.

Locked.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: Announcement thread for release date of raw?

Post by Eldo »

Sorry Starnum, just unlocking the thread because I've edited and made a thread out of it. I guess I should have made a new thread, ehh...? But Wib indirectly planted the idea in my head, so I guess he should be credited for the inspiration.

To add to the 'other' section, I guess some of the staff could add the release date of the raw in their sigs.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

As long as it's in the forum only, it probably won't reach the majority of people who DL from the main page. The release date could be added right under the image at the top. Should be easy to put in and change right.

and while we're suggesting stuff, how about making it so when fuck is typed it changed to *p*uck. I don't really care about the language use, but it would be funny.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Problem with the website is that I don't know how to implement it, so we're probably have to bother arke for that one. Someone has to be responsible for updating it as well. However, I do think it looks kind of ugly though to have the release date under the image.

The reason why I said to keep it in the forums is because the forums are used as a resource to check out information, so people might actually check it out.

As for the word changed from fuck to puck, I don't think so. I like my swear words and I like them shown, no word filter or replacement bullshit. Probably funny the first time around, but gets old and boring fast.

fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Eldo wrote:Problem with the website is that I don't know how to implement it, so we're probably have to bother arke for that one. Someone has to be responsible for updating it as well. However, I do think it looks kind of ugly though to have the release date under the image.

The reason why I said to keep it in the forums is because the forums are used as a resource to check out information, so people might actually check it out.

As for the word changed from fuck to puck, I don't think so. I like my swear words and I like them shown, no word filter or replacement bullshit. Probably funny the first time around, but gets old and boring fast.
quoted for truth.
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

I'm against making this site ugly so noobs know when Berserk releases.
A: it won't stop those useless noobs from posting questions regarding the next release every time.
B: some folk may mix up things and think its a release timer for Scanlations. i know EG isn't a speedscan group wich can do scanlations in 16 hours after release
C: all the regulars know that information regarding the next release will be posted in the latest release topic.
D: Normally i can find the next release date on the last page of the current release. unless Kentaro Miura happens to take a break (wich has happened a lot resently but might not be the same for the next few releases)
E: Read the faq, Use search. some people just can't seem to find anything unless it is put on the front page with HUGE BOLD letters.

i'm satisfied with how the forum and the website is. I think EG is doing a great thing. Let them please do scanlations and manage thier site like they want and don't wast thier time on Shiny stuff and awesome web features
Wib
imanewbie

Post by Wib »

I agree about EG is not speedy scan. EG works for the perfect piece.
And I agree about some people will continue post to ask released date.
But I think EG can predict the time of finished work.
If EG forcasts time which have some extra.
and Some people don't read all reply in topic of the current release.
(Maybe most of members of forum don't.)
They will enter to read and reply in the interesting topic. (But EG
Staffs do too).

Such as
Announced 20 Jan 2052 Chapter 421
But release before announced time 17 Jan 2052
People still be happy.

And Eldo plan to announce in signature of staffs to make people easy to
notice. It will be more useful when Kentaro goes to onsen, break, or
research. (Maybe after this release he enjoys in Momichi.)

Last thing is, EG can use this metheod as "test". If it is more complex,
mess up, or doesn't work. EG can cancel this method easy by change
signature back to the normal way.

Smile,
Wibbie.
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

i just don't like the whole idea of adding release dates before an scanlation is finished. i'm still satisfied with the good old "When its done"
normally you can just find anything you need to know on the forum.
and Some people don't read all reply in topic of the current release.
(Maybe most of members of forum don't.)
They will enter to read and reply in the interesting topic. (But EG
Staffs do too).
they don't have to read all the topics. they just need to read the faq and the rules. then they will know how things work on this forum and where to get the information they want.

why bother about people who are too lazy to even get to know thier way around here and just go bother the admins on the forum and all the regulars with thier stupidity.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:Sorry Starnum, just unlocking the thread because I've edited and made a thread out of it. I guess I should have made a new thread, ehh...? But Wib indirectly planted the idea in my head, so I guess he should be credited for the inspiration.

To add to the 'other' section, I guess some of the staff could add the release date of the raw in their sigs.
No worries, you had a good reason to unlock it, and I think this is a good subject to address. With that said, I don't really care either way. A thread specific to giving the raw release dates is fine. It shouldn't be that hard to understand if the thread is properly titled. You know, something like "Raw Release Dates" or some such. Alternatively, the way we've been doing it is fine as well. Most people know to look in the previous chapter release thread for news and updates. I can see the benefits of both sides, so for me at least, it's all good. ;)
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I think it's a good idea, making an announcement thread for the raws and giving an eta to when it might be done. Maybe a little spoiler here and there, like the prince added on another thread. I think it'd be pretty cool.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I couldn't care less about announcments or e-mail notifications if and when a new Berserk chapter comes out.

You guys do enough work already, translating at a fast pace and also with brilliant quality, that should be enough for every avid fan. If someone cannot be bothered to check this site and forum every so often to get his dose of Berserk, well then he can just wait for the official release anyway.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Aetherfukz wrote:I couldn't care less about announcments or e-mail notifications if and when a new Berserk chapter comes out.

You guys do enough work already, translating at a fast pace and also with brilliant quality, that should be enough for every avid fan. If someone cannot be bothered to check this site and forum every so often to get his dose of Berserk, well then he can just wait for the official release anyway.
Indeed. I'm already extremely grateful for everything you guys do, and as for people who can't even be bothered to check the forum...screw 'em.
coungpow
imanewbie

Post by coungpow »

I don't post much here (clearly) but I've gotta agree. You guys aren't a raw site. You do very high quality fast releases, and that's enough. However I'm not going to pretend posting the dates of raws (which you always do at the end of the chapter when the information is available) wouldn't be nice, but its unnecessary. If you have the time and a raw you feel lives up to your quality I see no reason not to post it, but no need to go out of your way.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, well if we do decide to go through with this idea, we wouldn't be releasing the raws anyway. We'd just be telling people when they're set to come out, but we already do that in the last release thread, so it's really not necessary. If we do decide to make a thread to announce the raw releases, it'll just be a further courtesy to our readers.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I wonder if Guts will have to fight the other strong members of the band of the Hawk. there is the guy who can shoot arrows with the demonic bow, the locus lancer, the rest of the giants, that fucked up cunt little girl who is obsessed with griffith, and then Zodd and the shadow guy who wants Griffith’s head. Not to mention Daiba, too. wtf. SO many more enemies for Gutz to have to kill. Hopefully most of those isted above will die. Not including Gutz. That little girl needs to die fast. Seriously. Ishidoro and that girl are so annoying and they are little brats I hope they burn in hell with the count and the rest of the fallen apostles.
This post from the main page's most recent discussion makes me want to vote no.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Oh, well if we do decide to go through with this idea, we wouldn't be releasing the raws anyway. We'd just be telling people when they're set to come out, but we already do that in the last release thread, so it's really not necessary. If we do decide to make a thread to announce the raw releases, it'll just be a further courtesy to our readers.
Should be worth memtioning, but the quality of the RAW scans I've seen so far for 298, are top notch. It is as if the scans were taken using a volumized tank version of the release.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I noticed that, it's pretty cool. Makes our job a lot easier.