Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Re: Movies of '08

Post by halfnhalf »

rumors say that cloverfield is just the street name that Bad Robot hq is on, others made up reasons. Being Cloverfield is what you call a mission, when you have no idea who the enemy is, so it is nicknamed "Cloverfield."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/faq#.2.1.40
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, cool, thanks for the link. That was useful. I had already drawn many of the same conclusions, but it's nice to know what they whispered at the end of the movie, after the credits, I was wondering about that too.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I'm lookin forward to this movie
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Pixar has really disappointed me with the last couple of films, Cars and Ratatouille, I hope Wall.E is going to be great. They probably didn't make this one sooner because of Robots or something. Just a guess.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:Pixar has really disappointed me with the last couple of films, Cars and Ratatouille, I hope Wall.E is going to be great. They probably didn't make this one sooner because of Robots or something. Just a guess.
Didn't Bugs Life and Antz come out the same year.....along with that Will Smith voiced Shark movie and Finding Nemo?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The Prince wrote:Didn't Bugs Life and Antz come out the same year.....along with that Will Smith voiced Shark movie and Finding Nemo?
Hm, good point. I forgot all about Antz and Shark Movie because I haven't seen them. I've only seen Robots and that was recently on TV. Well, scratch that theory then.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:
The Prince wrote:Didn't Bugs Life and Antz come out the same year.....along with that Will Smith voiced Shark movie and Finding Nemo?
Hm, good point. I forgot all about Antz and Shark Movie because I haven't seen them. I've only seen Robots and that was recently on TV. Well, scratch that theory then.
Its funny how some of these movies randomly shared common themes that came out at the same time. Just recently wasn't their a sudden rash of Penguin animated movies? Can't imagine they are planned out that way......
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

anyone see the new Iron Man trailer? It had a superbowl spot.

IT LOOKED AWESOME.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

halfnhalf wrote:anyone see the new Iron Man trailer? It had a superbowl spot.

IT LOOKED AWESOME.
Nah, skipped the whole half time so I can make the releases. Then pretty much switched off the TV because the first half was not impressing me at all. Afterwards, as I was browsing through the news, I saw that Pats lost and Giants came back. What the hell. I nearly put money on Pats, because they were playing pretty solid and defensive. I guess I missed out on the good half of the match.

But yeah, Iron Man looks awesome, based on the pics that's surfaced on the Internet. Although the armour does look a bit plastic, I think they can probably patch that up in post-production or something.

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I did the exact opposite, I started watching 'till the 4th quarter and it was really cool. I watched the best part of the game.

But I didn't see the Iron Man trailer either. Although I just watched one on youtube (don't know if it's the same one) and it looks very cool. I'm looking forward to it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

halfnhalf wrote:anyone see the new Iron Man trailer? It had a superbowl spot.

IT LOOKED AWESOME.

I did and I concur.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Confirmed, Julia Roberts was phony as usual in Charlie Wilsons war. But pretty damn good joyride of a movie, I like the time piece toungue-in-cheek way it was done. Not done as uber serious documentary, but like a little slice of how they viewed the world then. Serious enough but pretty hilarious in an ironic way, you could feel the Aoron Sorkin touch of it all. Phillip Seymour Hoffman defined the movie, hehehehe.

Also watched Juno, quite good feel-good movie, low-key, refreshing and heart felt. Ellen Page was pretty awesome, perfectly captured the little weird 16 year old, dont think the movie would have been much to of anything without her.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

click on tv spot for the new trailer. We get to see Iron Mongler and Tony testing out his new gear.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

ImageImage
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

You're a teacher?

Part-time!

haha, oh man i cant wait.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

A 65 year old dude doing action scenes? I'm in. Mainly for the curiosity of 'how does he do it?' From the look of the trailers, the action seems still have some humour in it, which is exactly how the first 3 movies went.

Also, I watched Golden Compass recently. What is the big deal about it? Why are Christian groups so uptight about it? I watched it for that reason, and boy, was I disappointed. Not only did I find nothing that were apparently anti-Christian, the story and direction were pretty poorly written and well, crap. I hope they save their money and not make the sequels.

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Heard the movie took out all the anti-christian stuff, which is is apparently pointless to do, because its the theme that makes the story.

I saw Into the Wild, terriffic film, highly recommended viewing.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Shaka Zulu wrote:
I saw Into the Wild, terriffic film, highly recommended viewing.
I totally agree, the first ten minutes was a little bit strange but once you got into it it was pretty amazing.
Great scenery

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:A 65 year old dude doing action scenes? I'm in. Mainly for the curiosity of 'how does he do it?' From the look of the trailers, the action seems still have some humour in it, which is exactly how the first 3 movies went.

Also, I watched Golden Compass recently. What is the big deal about it? Why are Christian groups so uptight about it? I watched it for that reason, and boy, was I disappointed. Not only did I find nothing that were apparently anti-Christian, the story and direction were pretty poorly written and well, crap. I hope they save their money and not make the sequels.
The movie took out a lot of the inferred anti-christian elements. Or at least so I've heard, never having read nor watched either.

BTW, don't know if its due to being cast in bad roles of late or what, but it seems to me that Harrison Ford just doesn't have it anymore. I really hope he is able to capture that unique self-depricating, heroic quality that came off so naturally and effortlessly while playing some of the most beloved and iconic characters in movie history.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see Shaka's prior post.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:Pixar has really disappointed me with the last couple of films, Cars and Ratatouille, I hope Wall.E is going to be great. They probably didn't make this one sooner because of Robots or something. Just a guess.
Ratatouille was amazing and you're fucking insane.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Dear lord yes.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

i heard they finally made up their minds about the dbz live action movie it's to be released this year i think
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

fujinsan wrote:i heard they finally made up their minds about the dbz live action movie it's to be released this year i think
What do you mean about made up their minds? Productions been going on for well-over a year.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

The Prince wrote:
fujinsan wrote:i heard they finally made up their minds about the dbz live action movie it's to be released this year i think
What do you mean about made up their minds? Productions been going on for well-over a year.
true but they've been postponding it off and on.