Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Re: Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Post by Rolos »

I read in another thread that some people were trying to shounenize berserk, although what they were doing was to propose the possibility that Gutts equipment may be upgraded in Elfhelm (some even said that his wounds will be healed and his arm will be imbued with magic, which I think would be basically retarded and very un-berserk-like).

Well, this question is not directly related to berserk, but since I have been encountering this word with increasing frequency, I must ask:

What is shounen?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:I read in another thread that some people were trying to shounenize berserk, although what they were doing was to propose the possibility that Gutts equipment may be upgraded in Elfhelm (some even said that his wounds will be healed and his arm will be imbued with magic, which I think would be basically retarded and very un-berserk-like).

Well, this question is not directly related to berserk, but since I have been encountering this word with increasing frequency, I must ask:

What is shounen?
wikipedia wrote:Shōnen (少年, Shōnen? sometimes transliterated as shounen or shonen, "boy", or literally "few years") is a Japanese word used in English to refer to manga intended for boys. Examples include Dragon Ball, Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, Pokémon, Bleach, One Piece, Inuyasha, Shaman King, HandxRed and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Shōnen anime and manga is typically characterized by high-action, often humorous plots featuring male protagonists. The camaraderie between boys or men on sports teams, fighting squads and the like is often emphasized. Attractive female characters with exaggerated features are also common (see fan service), but are not a requirement; Dragon Ball Z, for example, has only a few such characters. The art style of shōnen is generally less flowery than that of shōjo, although this varies greatly from artist to artist, and some artists draw both shōnen and shōjo.
Now you know.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

But then, Why would Gutts getting his arm and eye healed mean that Berserk is being shounenized?

Is it that it would be too simple for a plot of berserk caliber?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, I seriously doubt any of that is going to happen. They were saying "shonenized" because you see that stuff in shonen manga a lot, like DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach. You know, with the whole power up to the next level thing and all. Personally I like that, but it doesn't belong in Berserk.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:No, I seriously doubt any of that is going to happen. They were saying "shonenized" because you see that stuff in shonen manga a lot, like DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach. You know, with the whole power up to the next level thing and all. Personally I like that, but it doesn't belong in Berserk.
When did DBZ ever have this? Silly boy. :?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Super Saiyan 1, 2, 3, 4.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:Super Saiyan 1, 2, 3, 4.
Was only joking.

BTW.....it appears you really hurt the feelings of that BlackAss guy. :(
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The Prince wrote:Was only joking.
Oh right. I kind of knew it but wasn't sure. The emoticon threw me off there. Not used to seeing that.
The Prince wrote:BTW.....it appears you really hurt the feelings of that BlackAss guy. :(
Yeah, I don't keep score of the people I hurt the feelings off. I'm not really going to bother with his latest comment. If it was in the forums I would dissect his comments apart and destroy him one by one, but I'm kinder in the blogs than I am here. Probably because I don't want to scare people off there. More subtle jabs are made though.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Couldn't you consider the dragonslayer and his armor shonenization then? I actually wouldnt be surprised if something happened in elfhelm that "powered" him up
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MrFelony wrote:Couldn't you consider the dragonslayer and his armor shonenization then? I actually wouldnt be surprised if something happened in elfhelm that "powered" him up
Not entirely. He had the Dragonslayer at the beginning of the manga, so no, wouldn't consider that shounenisation. Furthermore, every time Guts uses the armour he gets screwed up, making his uses minimal, unlike some other powerups like Super Saiyan 1-4 which they could use without any consequence.

Powerups and shounenisation are not to be used interchangeably.

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well it's at the beginning, but he gets it later in the manga when the apostle comes to godo's. and i'm sure the Armor is going to play a key role in some plot development later on (besides making him stronger/weaker)
God_Hand_Hater07
imanewbie

Post by God_Hand_Hater07 »

In a way it already has, after he gets the armour the next time he sees skull knight the skull knight tells him he once wore that aarmour and that it will destroy parts of you in a way that is everything gets lessened, for example colors seem less vibrant food looses its taste, stuff like that, and it shows partly about what happened to skull knight to make him the way he is, and that the same thing might happen to Gatts
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

This is a question directed at the Evil Genius team in general...

In your opinion, what's the hardest thing about scanslating?
I need a 1000 word essay on this topic due by Friday. It is worth 30% of your final grade. (nyuk nyuk nyuk)
"Happiness is an inside job"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

MrFelony wrote:well it's at the beginning, but he gets it later in the manga when the apostle comes to godo's. and i'm sure the Armor is going to play a key role in some plot development later on (besides making him stronger/weaker)

Personally i disliked the armour from day one. I thought it took away too much of his "im a human that you can break bones off but can still kill your apostle ass" thing he had early in the manga. It made him more powerful without using his crazy but human strenght. Still it is far away from shonen thing. In Shonen they get powerups without a cost or getting hurt .

Guts hurts himself even more when he uses the armour, with what it does to his body.

Dragonslayer is only a piece of metal, that is powerful only in his hands. Its not a magical sword withs own name and powers ala Bleach for example.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, but if he doesn't become stronger, how will he ever defeat Griffith? Something to think about. Also, at this point, the Dragon Slayer is kind of magical, as it has been imbued with power from killing so many demons. Besides, shonen mangas are good too, they're just a totally different genre is all.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, but if he doesn't become stronger, how will he ever defeat Griffith? Something to think about. Also, at this point, the Dragon Slayer is kind of magical, as it has been imbued with power from killing so many demons. Besides, shonen mangas are good too, they're just a totally different genre is all.
I dont believe much of Dragonslayer's magical part but the point is it was only a tool,nothing special befor he killed all these supernatural beings.

I think he can become powerful without something like the armour. It just needs more creative ideas like how and the little witch combined with attacks. Also you can give Griffith a weakness so he is beatable but also unbelieable strong at the same time.

I rather see Guts use charms,spells than an armour that makes him stronger.

Also i didnt diss shonen genre, just saying Berserk isnt the same. Different things works for different genres. Im a fan of shonen. Quality shonen like FMA,HXH,OP etc
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well SK did say the sword had become imbued with magical properties from killing so many demons, as it's nigh unbreakable at this point and seems to have a bonus to kill demons, heh. You know, I never really got the whole complaint about the berserker armor, where people argue that he was just human before. He stopped being just human a long time ago, at least by the point he was swinging his old sword around as if it was as light as a katana. I mean, the fight with Wylad was anything but human. *shrugs*
doom
imanewbie

Post by doom »

What has been happening with Windham and the princess Charlotte after the original band of the hawk left?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:Well SK did say the sword had become imbued with magical properties from killing so many demons, as it's nigh unbreakable at this point and seems to have a bonus to kill demons, heh. You know, I never really got the whole complaint about the berserker armor, where people argue that he was just human before. He stopped being just human a long time ago, at least by the point he was swinging his old sword around as if it was as light as a katana. I mean, the fight with Wylad was anything but human. *shrugs*
His strenght is almost unhuman but seeing how he swinged a blade bigger than him most of his life. It is pluasible seeing him become hugely strong.

Armour is supernatural from the start. Plus there is reason i dislike it isnt only that. Its cause its useless. It hurts him more than it helps. Making him rest and heal for longer time cause of the injuries than before.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, the armor is a very serious threat to his health. However, I think that eventually that won't be the case, or he'll just stop using it at some point. Either that or he'll end up like SK, heh, who knows.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

The armor is bad news all over. Guts needs to give it away or something, fast.
It could also be something like this, SK didnt have the power to control the amor and thus he turned into what he is today.
If you can master the armor you will still remain human.
The Elf king will problably tell Guts that it is something like that, or SK himself will.
Hopefully :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I think it's going to kill guts and turn him into something supernatural like SK
Berserked
imanewbie

Post by Berserked »

MrFelony wrote:I think it's going to kill guts and turn him into something supernatural like SK
I doubt that since Gutts has always been trying to stay as human as possible, the fact that he misses his arm proves that.
He fights for the things he treasures, I think his body means a lot to him.

The Elfes might be able to lift the curse from the armor and give it an enhancement, or enchance the sword...but somehow I keep having the feeling that the demon inside Gutts will always be around no matter what they do to the armor.
My place really was here. I was too foolish and stubborn to notice. But, what I truly hoped for then was here... Why do I always realize it.. When I've already lost it...
jkidda
imanewbie

Post by jkidda »

why did grifttih let gatts alive? i think it was somewhere between 15-20vol.
i dont think there will be a grifft vs gatts fight.

sory for my english
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

jkidda wrote:why did grifttih let gatts alive? i think it was somewhere between 15-20vol.
You'll have to be more specific. Do you mean the hill of swords fight? In that case, the answer is probably (although Griffith would deny it) because Griffith has started to feel things for Guts again. Read his thoughts, they're pretty clear on the issue.
i dont think there will be a grifft vs gatts fight.
Ok...good for you. Would you care to say why you think this? Because without that it's hard to have any meaningful discussion.