::GANTZ::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Re: ::GANTZ::

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

The hell when was the ultimate weapon shown?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What do you mean? All I know is that the Osaka team has some of the really powerful weapons, like those crazy big ass hand guns.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

yea im talking about those BFG the Osaka team currently have... the weapon seems to work like the Ghost unit in Starcraft... all they have to do is point and hold for a little while and then what ever it was pointed it becomes completely flattened.... look at the chaps and how they use them... it becomes clearer and i figured it out after the second time it was used by the Osaka team... seems to have a cool-down time limit too... further chapters will either corroborate or disprove my observations :)

"i just want my finger back."
sounds like after the battle he's gonna do some "cleaning"
"Happiness is an inside job"
Aryx
imanewbie

Post by Aryx »

wow i just read chapter 261 and cant wait for next one :) .
What do u think, who will kill 100 point alien ? :D ( i hope Masaru Kato but probably that cloaked guy from osaku team who finished game 7 times )
"Winter is coming." - Stark of Winterfell
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Go Katou, woot!

Those Osaka guys are totally gonna save his ass, but I still think he might be the one to kill the 100-pointer, with their help.
Restricted18
imanewbie

Post by Restricted18 »

I really don't like katou,
bring kurono back!
And PLEASE let him end up with Reika. Unrequited love from a hottie like that? What a fuckin' idiot.

What's that big-ass giant in a cloaked gantz suit or some shit (the one that punched the gigantic tarantula-legged minotaur in the face, from what i remember - you see an outline/translucency after the minotaur gets hit) - some kind of new weapon? doesn't seem like an alien. and so far aliens haven't been able to cloak. maybe it's a giant mech (piloted by Mr. Seven-wins?) with the gantz flavour. much like an armoured suit / exoskeleton is to a full-blown mecha, you've got the gantz powersuit and now you've got giant mechs. though that's a bit overkill. or maybe i'm just seeing things, but i did look at it more than once...

gantz does need more vehicles though, Uniwheel kicks ass.

hmm and why does no one (very little anyway) ever use the cloak function on their gantz suits?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Restricted18 wrote:I really don't like katou,
bring kurono back!
And PLEASE let him end up with Reika. Unrequited love from a hottie like that? What a fuckin' idiot?
See, I get tired of hearing shit like that. If you want Kurono back so bad, who the fuck do you think is going to be the one to make that happen? Maybe you think Reika, the one he should love so much, would do it. Heh, yeah right. Katou is Kurono's best friend, that's got to count for something. Katou might act like a wuss sometimes, but I think he's way cooler than a lot of the neanderthals we've seen cycled through this manga. Yeah, Reika is really fucking hot, and any guy would give an arm and a leg to be with her... However, that's not how love works. I think Kurono has more depth of character for staying with Tae. She's not unrealistically hot, like Reika, but she's still cute. More importantly, she was the first person to ever really love and care for Kei. He'd just be a dick-head to leave her for Reika without a damn good reason. *shrugs*
Restricted18
imanewbie

Post by Restricted18 »

oh i'm not saying katou shouldnt' be around, he needs to be around to bring kurono back.
i'm saying kurono is a better lead character than katou. youv'e got all the kick-ass, the leadership quality and his own 'righteousness' (which is amusing since it was originally supposed to emulate katou's righteous attitude), but without all the hesitation. plus, it's a matter of aesthetics (argue as much as you want, GantZ is built on aesthetics) - kurono just looks so much cooler.

and about reika, i think it's just sad that someone like her is completely ignored by kurono, you have to really feel for her. so it's simply a matter of Tae vs. Reika as -characters-, and Reika wins - since she's more charming, but again (i won't lie) -mainly- because she's more aesthetically pleasing.

we live in a very shallow world.

edit:
Starnum wrote:More importantly, she was the first person to ever really love and care for Kei. He'd just be a dick-head to leave her for Reika without a damn good reason. *shrugs*
well....... tae did have her memory wiped ('course, so did kurono)... so they started off on a pretty clean slate.. so it's not so much asking for a reason for him to leave her, it's more asking for a reason why they shouldn't get back together.

Hmm, I feel like re-reading GantZ. I've only read it once.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Holy shit, the Tengu and the fox priest can hold the H - gun, after all the hype and the uberness it turned out to be useless against those guys. I really looked more like it was crushing them into the ground than crushing them against the ground.

I would love to see Nobu crushed by the Tengu just to wipe that smirk out of those guys. Katou will probably save him though.
Restricted18
imanewbie

Post by Restricted18 »

"ultimate weapon" has nothing against the extendable katana. just look back to the tentacle aliens ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Restricted18 wrote:I really don't like katou,
bring kurono back!
And PLEASE let him end up with Reika. Unrequited love from a hottie like that? What a fuckin' idiot.

What's that big-ass giant in a cloaked gantz suit or some shit (the one that punched the gigantic tarantula-legged minotaur in the face, from what i remember - you see an outline/translucency after the minotaur gets hit) - some kind of new weapon? doesn't seem like an alien. and so far aliens haven't been able to cloak. maybe it's a giant mech (piloted by Mr. Seven-wins?) with the gantz flavour. much like an armoured suit / exoskeleton is to a full-blown mecha, you've got the gantz powersuit and now you've got giant mechs. though that's a bit overkill. or maybe i'm just seeing things, but i did look at it more than once...

gantz does need more vehicles though, Uniwheel kicks ass.

hmm and why does no one (very little anyway) ever use the cloak function on their gantz suits?
Someone has quite the imagination. Mech?

EDIT: I stand corrected. That thing does look like a mech. I had assumed the guy who died trying to take out the 100-point target was the 7-time vet.....misread the caption. I guess we have yet to see this guy in person, and assume that he was the guy battling that big ass minotaur-ant.
Last edited by The Prince on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Restricted18 wrote:"ultimate weapon" has nothing against the extendable katana. just look back to the tentacle aliens ;)
Agreed, but having both is nice too. ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:
Restricted18 wrote:"ultimate weapon" has nothing against the extendable katana. just look back to the tentacle aliens ;)
Agreed, but having both is nice too. ;)
-Yeah....Imagine the Host Vampire with one. BTW I see him softening up a little, as he was not completely apathetic towards his injured comrade. If he didn't care he would have left her on the ground to bleed to death. In a suit he may be unstoppable, though he still killed both Kei and his brother so I don't mind seeing him die violently.

A few things.....

-I wonder if we will ever see Isumi again. He was a cool character, despite being an evil douche. I was very surprised to see him die....even more so than Kei (allowing Katou to take the reigns). Isumi seemed like he would be around for awhile as the story's protagonist, being the foil to Kei and Katou (funny how Kei's first impression of Isumi was how he reminded him of Katou).

-But Gantz has shown anything can happen at anytime, and no character is unexpendable. I'm still surprised that Kei chose Nishi over both Nishimoto and even that hot kickboxer girl that protected him. Still makes no sense to me.

BTW...where is Nishi in this latest mission? Can't recall seeing him in Osaka.

-As things stand can't imagine anyone taking option 1 anymore, after reaching 100 points. Now that it appears that players and even civilians are being hunted regardless of whether they're in the game or not. At least players can at least take advantage of having a suit and weapons, along with being informed of what's going on.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Didn´t Nishi said WAY back that the best way to kill an alien was when he was killing other Gantzers?

Maybe Nishi killed Tengu when he was crushing the other dude, the Rapist and the black dude said it was lag but i think it was far too long for that.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Deathbringer wrote:Didn´t Nishi said WAY back that the best way to kill an alien was when he was killing other Gantzers?

Maybe Nishi killed Tengu when he was crushing the other dude, the Rapist and the black dude said it was lag but i think it was far too long for that.
Good call. I don't believe it was due to a lag either.
wolfman1718
imanewbie

Post by wolfman1718 »

Where have you been getting the newer chapters from. Ever since shocwave stopped doing them i have not been able to find them.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

Newb question. I read all of Gantz from start to finish yesterday. There were the 4 rapists and the girl victim that all died in the car wreck. Last I remember seeing them was when they were all trying to kill Kurono and Tae. I wanted to see all the rapists die and the girl get her revenge. Instead the girl hands over her gun and I don't remember ever seeing her again. I don't remember ever getting to watch the rapists die either, except maybe one, but they too also vanished from the story. What happened?
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

wolfman1718 wrote:Where have you been getting the newer chapters from. Ever since shocwave stopped doing them i have not been able to find them.
http://anip.homeunix.com/onlinereading/index.php for a quick read

or

http://franky-house.com/ for the download
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Tonbo wrote:Newb question. I read all of Gantz from start to finish yesterday. There were the 4 rapists and the girl victim that all died in the car wreck. Last I remember seeing them was when they were all trying to kill Kurono and Tae. I wanted to see all the rapists die and the girl get her revenge. Instead the girl hands over her gun and I don't remember ever seeing her again. I don't remember ever getting to watch the rapists die either, except maybe one, but they too also vanished from the story. What happened?
As far as i remember they died on oni alien mission?

And personally i prefer binktopia's releases http://binktopia.net/
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

i see this every time i read a post concerning the "coolness" of katou vs kurono.... the fact of the matter is katou hesitates so much because he is the only one in the entire manga who even considers the impact of his actions....
case in point: the first mission of the manga; the onion alien mission... Katou realized after the noobs killed the onion kid that they killed somone's child, in other words they killed a sentient being for no goddamn reason other than they were told to... when the big onion alien comes into the scene you see katou moving in like a champ to dodge his claw, allowing him to then point the gun at his head but he refuses to fire... why? because he knows that if he pulls the trigger he will become a MURDERER... ie. he has a conscience
Furthermore, during the buddha mission he was able to kill the final boss before he died with one arm and a sword after he finally got over the misgivings he held for killing a living being
this is exhibited (annoyingly) during the anime where you constantly hear katou shouting "is this alright?" "Can we really pull the trigger?"

kurono on the other hand didnt have this "problem"... he was able to kill, but only for selfish reasons (wanted to impress kei; jealous of katou, etc) but it was only after katou and the rest of his team died after the buddha mission that he started to realize the impact his attitude had towards the outcome of each mission and started to kill for a reason (survival, Tae, etc)

in the end it really comes down to what type of character you like: the quick witted, fast acting, action hero or the quiet, and hesitant hero who needs a (good) reason to fight and kill

ps... the anime sucked balls
"Happiness is an inside job"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

For me, it's which one I can relate to more, and that's Kurono. I think the primary "selfish" reason that drove Kurono, is his own survival. Though you made some good points. I really loved how Kurono developed too. He can definitely be a selfish guy, but unlike most that we've seen in the manga, he really knows how to care too.
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Eh without Kurono GantZ isn't so good anymore blah .....
exylex
imanewbie

Post by exylex »

The Prince wrote: -I wonder if we will ever see Isumi again. He was a cool character, despite being an evil douche. I was very surprised to see him die....even more so than Kei (allowing Katou to take the reigns). Isumi seemed like he would be around for awhile as the story's protagonist, being the foil to Kei and Katou (funny how Kei's first impression of Isumi was how he reminded him of Katou).
What about Nishi ressurecting him. :)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, yeah right. Nishi would never do that. Man, I had forgotten he was even around. We haven't seen him since the Osaka arc began. He does like to lurk around with the optocam, so that may have been him a few chapters back, after all. Yeah, I can't wait for Kurono to come back either. I'm still enjoying the manga though.
exylex
imanewbie

Post by exylex »

Starnum wrote:Heh, yeah right. Nishi would never do that. Man, I had forgotten he was even around.
Well, Nishi was about to give Kurono the points for that onion monster when kurono acted as him. And nishi seems to be cool with izumi. If Nishi doesnt want to get out of the game anymore, he may choose to resurrect Izumi over a new weapon.
Last edited by exylex on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.