Berserk 291 - Prophetic Dreams

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk 291 - Prophetic Dreams

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:Seems like it isn't far away when Griffith will become the official ruler of Midland. And then Guts will probably be labeled an official enemy of the country if he goes against the king...

Also, on page 11, who will be that giant shadow? From the image it looks like it could be Slan, Griffith or the kushan emperor. Slan I don't think so because that would imply another eclipse (well maybe the emperor summons them?), Griffith is my best bet but the people of Midland surely won't believe that. The emperor would be plausible also, having a huge shadow and fighting against Griffith and then getting owned.
Where/Why do you conclude this "shadow" is in reference to a person?

How could the prophecy you are referring be interpreted (by the reader) as anything but an eclipse?

First of all it has nothing to do with the emperor or the Kushan, as this prophecy is specifically mentioned to occur after the Kushan presence and mist is lifted from the city. There are several other instances in this chapter that seem to foreshadow an ominous event occuring, proceeding the coming battle, but let's not stray.

I believe this is the image you were referring.......

I believe in the dialogue of the image (Can't see the picture while making the post) it starts of by specifically mentioning that a black-shadow will block out the sun, I believe in the manga the eclipse is often characterized as a "black sun".

The dialogue for this page concludes in stating how this shadow will cover the entire city (a shadow conspicuously shaped in the form of a big ass tornado...at least that's how it appears to me), which would suggest that anyone in its (the) area will be affected. Though at the same time, indirectly suggesting those outside of it, won't be effected by the black-shadow (and/or blackened sun). Which is supported by the preceeding assertions, from the children, for leaving the city once the fog and Kushan are cleared.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

RanShi wrote:Thanks thanks =D

The name of the model on Damiens avatar, anyone?

I'm going crazy.
Alley bagget is my avatar, and shay laren is my signature.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

[spoiler]Miura, where's the fucking blood? Battles plz, battles![/spoiler]

Thanks EG.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Prince wrote:Where/Why do you conclude this "shadow" is in reference to a person?

How could the prophecy you are referring be interpreted (by the reader) as anything but an eclipse?

First of all it has nothing to do with the emperor or the Kushan, as this prophecy is specifically mentioned to occur after the Kushan presence and mist is lifted from the city. There are several other instances in this chapter that seem to foreshadow an ominous event occuring, proceeding the coming battle, but let's not stray.

I believe this is the image you were referring.......

I believe in the dialogue of the image (Can't see the picture while making the post) it starts of by specifically mentioning that a black-shadow will block out the sun, I believe in the manga the eclipse is often characterized as a "black sun".

The dialogue for this page concludes in stating how this shadow will cover the entire city (a shadow conspicuously shaped in the form of a big ass tornado...at least that's how it appears to me), which would suggest that anyone in its (the) area will be affected. Though at the same time, indirectly suggesting those outside of it, won't be effected by the black-shadow (and/or blackened sun). Which is supported by the preceeding assertions, from the children, for leaving the city once the fog and Kushan are cleared.
You got a good point there. But who could summon the eclipse there? Griffith probably not, because he already did one (or would he sacrifice all of Windham or even Charlotte to get even more powers? Doesn't seem plausible). So that leaves Guts, Skull Knight and the emperor. Guts can't summon Godhand because he is branded. Skull wouldn't do it to I presume because if he could he would have done it already to get a shot at Void. So that leaves the emperor. I imagine something like when Guts fought the Count in the first few volumes. The emperor gets beaten to a pulp by Griffith and then trys to summon Godhand?

I dunno, but I can't think of another particular reason why there should be another eclipse. Because eclipes only happen when someone wants to sacrifice something.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
You got a good point there. But who could summon the eclipse there? Griffith probably not, because he already did one (or would he sacrifice all of Windham or even Charlotte to get even more powers? Doesn't seem plausible). So that leaves Guts, Skull Knight and the emperor. Guts can't summon Godhand because he is branded. Skull wouldn't do it to I presume because if he could he would have done it already to get a shot at Void. So that leaves the emperor. I imagine something like when Guts fought the Count in the first few volumes. The emperor gets beaten to a pulp by Griffith and then trys to summon Godhand?

I dunno, but I can't think of another particular reason why there should be another eclipse. Because eclipes only happen when someone wants to sacrifice something.
Griffith b/c he can do whatever he wants. And as far as we know sacrificing the kingdom may have already been something pre-ordained.

Who knows why and what exact conditions something like this occurs under?
Who knows why Gaeseric, according to legend, went on to do the exact same thing to his kingdom, in the exact same location, 1000 yrs prior?

IMO people are foregetting that Griffith is one evil SOB, and although he currently is playing the whole "white knight in shining armor" (literally) routine (apparently well enough to even have the readership buying into it :kekeke: ), in time I have little doubt that Miura is going to remind everybody, in a big way, just how deceiptful and munipulative Griffith's character can be.

And having an eclipse over Wyndham doesn't necessitate all of its people being sacrificed, as we have seen amongst children, recieving strict instructions to leave the viscinity when the time approaches. In regards to Charlotte, I'm sure arrangements could easily be made to remove her from the frey, as she clearly won't be among those sacrificed. But I guarantee her relationship w/ Griffith will do a 180, once Griifith becomes king.

I see a scenario where Griffith will use the eclipse to define a new era, allowing him to build upon the remains to mold his "new" kingdom according to his ideology. But this is pure speculation on my part.

Regardless we shall know for sure in time.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Griffith' dream was always to have his own kingdom. He sacrificed literally everything for this dream. And now when he marries Charlotte he will finally get it, his own kingdom to rule. So why would he sacrifice it then on the height of his time? Doesn't make sense to me. Griffith is an evil mofo, a megalomaniac, and many things more. But he is not insane and irresponsible.

But then again, I couldn't think of the first eclipse when first reading the Golden Age arc, and as it has shown us time upon time, everything is imaginable in the Berserk universe. Can't wait to read the next chapter (as always :D)
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

According to the Hawk's version, In the Eclipse Void says "Now we are 5 angels...We have all been born, and so...We bring with us, a time of great darkness...truth is now lies...The dead are now alive...love becomes hate...Despair is now hope...Nothing is left sacred. Everything now becomes as Darkness...shadowing the time that was once light...We call upon a time of darkness...to shadow over the age of men...The age of Darkness has begun..."

That shows that Griffith is going to not rule as a benevolent guy and that might include sacrificing all the people to reshape the kingdom into a kingdom that reflects this age of darkness.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
guywildman
imanewbie

Post by guywildman »

I don't know if an eclipse will come, I mean they also said that a white hawk will fly threw the shadow and disperse it. If Griffith will cause an eclipse (maybe in order to give him some godly powers? I mean did we see him do anything up to this point? Some might say he summoned the wind in his fight vs emperor but idea could easily have made it a windy day) but it doesn't sit well with the children's premonition. I suppose idea could have lied in the premonitions in order to draw them to the eclipse but then why use a big scary shadow at all? Way not just make the place they were running to be filled with unicorns?

I have no doubt that Griffith will be an evil dictator that will bring a dark age of no comparison to midland and the entire world, I want to remind every one about a prophecy recited by schrike, that the white hawk has arrived and he is followed by black sheep Griffith is the white hawk and the black sheep that follow him are the apostles and he will bring the time of darkness prophesized of by so many big shots in the manga. I believe guts is the black hawk that is mentioned to be the rival of the white hawk (but that might be the emperor) another clue to this can be seen in this chapter when locust says that politics establishing order and rebuilding countries will have no place in the world after the last battle, foreshadowing a time of harsh rule destruction and chaos.
"when god gives you leamons you find a new god."
powerthirst re-domination
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:Griffith' dream was always to have his own kingdom. He sacrificed literally everything for this dream. And now when he marries Charlotte he will finally get it, his own kingdom to rule. So why would he sacrifice it then on the height of his time? Doesn't make sense to me. Griffith is an evil mofo, a megalomaniac, and many things more. But he is not insane and irresponsible.

But then again, I couldn't think of the first eclipse when first reading the Golden Age arc, and as it has shown us time upon time, everything is imaginable in the Berserk universe. Can't wait to read the next chapter (as always :D)
Griffith is certainly one of the more dynamic, perplexing characters I can recall in any fictional genre.

But the scene proceeding Gut's fight with the Count, where Guts is first reunited with Griffith as Femto (since the events of the eclipse), I can never the forget the manner in which he belittled and taunted Guts in that scene. Having only started the manga, after watching the anime, I was fully aware of the circumstances and significance of the encounter at the time. And the fact that as Femto, IMO this scene provided a glimpse into Griffith's "true nature". Where in characterizing this "true nature" words like....ungrateful, ingratiating, piece of shit, taunting, backstabbing, rapist.....come to mind.

guywildman wrote:I don't know if an eclipse will come, I mean they also said that a white hawk will fly threw the shadow and disperse it. If Griffith will cause an eclipse (maybe in order to give him some godly powers? I mean did we see him do anything up to this point? Some might say he summoned the wind in his fight vs emperor but idea could easily have made it a windy day) but it doesn't sit well with the children's premonition. I suppose idea could have lied in the premonitions in order to draw them to the eclipse but then why use a big scary shadow at all? Way not just make the place they were running to be filled with unicorns?
I assumed the premonitions where being shown as a warning that once the fog cleared to high-tail it out of the city, before the following morning. I see no problem with wanting to spare a bunch of cute little children. Especially considering how HOT a commodity children can be in the Berserk universe.

And if all the children got wasted in the eclipse, then who would be left to pour the wine and/or to play "Uncle Touchy" with?
Last edited by The Prince on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

I think Muira just ran out of fresh ways for Guts to chop shit up. Other than that, great release EG!
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Damn, I've gotta say thanks now, even though I haven't even read the chapter. Great work, I assume :), as usual.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Griffith reminds me of a tucan in a jungle...sitting on his branch looking all pretty and colorful. Now what I want is for Guts to stroll along and smack him with his Dragonslayer and knock that tucan off of his branch...

bwahahahaha...BTW, it doens't even seem like Griffith cares about Guts anymore. He never sits there and thinks about him or even mentions him. Maybe he thinks Guts can't do anything to him and just doesn't pay attention anymore? Got me...

I'm wondering if Guts will ever be able to kill Griffith. I mean, good friends in the end who share almost the same viewpoint to getting what they want. Guts may be on a higher level because his heart has warmed up thanks be to Caska. Griffith needs him a woman, and not Charlotte....she's just a pawn in the game called Berserk.

^_^

Thanks for the release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

TheDrizzit wrote:bwahahahaha...BTW, it doens't even seem like Griffith cares about Guts anymore. He never sits there and thinks about him or even mentions him. Maybe he thinks Guts can't do anything to him and just doesn't pay attention anymore? Got me...
I don't know, he did see Guts and Co. leave on a boat and he had his crazy eyes going on. You know, the eyes he had when he gave Foss that look.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
t.A
notanewb

Post by t.A »

OMG almost missed this one :)

Thanks EG - forever in debt :worship:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

As always, thanks for another great chapter, EG.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

What if Griffith goes against the godhand??
Let us paint the picture. The great shadow, the eclipse. The white hawk, Griffith. What if the idea of Evil has something in plan?
What if, what if...AHHHHHH!!!!
ghostdog
imanewbie

Post by ghostdog »

Facade19 wrote:What if Griffith goes against the godhand??
Let us paint the picture. The great shadow, the eclipse. The white hawk, Griffith. What if the idea of Evil has something in plan?
Why should he? They've made him their leaded and he can do anything he wants... As I see it the rest of the hand obey his will.

As for Griffith I don't think he wants a woman, all he wants from the very beginning is Gutts... it's obvious he has an obsessive love for him and I don't know if its just platonic :shock:

Anyway I hope next stop is Fairy Island ... and that Caska will finally start talking because the mute thing has lasted for much too long...
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

ghostdog wrote:
Why should he? They've made him their leaded and he can do anything he wants... As I see it the rest of the hand obey his will.

As for Griffith I don't think he wants a woman, all he wants from the very beginning is Gutts... it's obvious he has an obsessive love for him and I don't know if its just platonic :shock:

Anyway I hope next stop is Fairy Island ... and that Caska will finally start talking because the mute thing has lasted for much too long...
Muted....Going on ten years I believe.

But fortunately for me, as a relative newb, just around 6-months......and it still seems too damn long.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Griffith is too much of a Narcissist to want a relationship with another human being. He's also never really shown to have sexual wants. He just had sex as a dominance type of thing, with both Casca and Charlotte. In this chapter Charlotte seems to have grown up a bit, and is even questioning her marriage to Griffith. I bet that when Guts comes to Windham again she'll recognize him. How could she forget the savior of her lover?
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

ghostdog wrote:

If he liked Guts so much, why didn't he butt rape Gut's during the eclipse instead of Caska?
Could you imagine if that really happened? Would have been the only thing that could have made the events of the eclipse any more disturbing than it already was.
:holycrap:

The Herald wrote:Griffith is too much of a Narcissist to want a relationship with another human being. He's also never really shown to have sexual wants. He just had sex as a dominance type of thing, with both Casca and Charlotte. In this chapter Charlotte seems to have grown up a bit, and is even questioning her marriage to Griffith. I bet that when Guts comes to Windham again she'll recognize him. How could she forget the savior of her lover?

When Guts undoubtably sets out for Windham upon his return to Midland, if were to ever come across Charlotte in Windham, he'd likely send out his most-trusted newly formed BOH Raiders scout team, comprised of Sneak-idro, Sneaky Puck and Magnifico to kidnap her and use her as bate.

With Owl Schierke on the look out, Farnese and Roderick being conspicuosly MIA; Guts, Serpico, Caska and Bridge-Knight Guy would setup an ambush to decimate any Neo-BOH Raider rescue squad unfortunate to fall into their trap. Hopefully that would include Mr.Cocky....AKA...That Flaming Moonlight Knight.
absofflab
imanewbie

Post by absofflab »

Thanks EG!

As for the story, I think that the thing that really strikes me the most is Foss (yes, perhaps a different reaction from many other readers). I mean, the children (or others) having "prophetic" dreams, or Griffith having most people eating out of his hand are things that we've seen before or are at least unsurprising. Foss as he is now, however, really feels...not quite off, per se, but, very, very, very different. There were hints of the present persona the first time he resurfaced (in Volume 26 or 27, I believe), but now, Miura's writing and rendering of him seems to completely capture a wholly different set of mannerisms and body language. So much so that whenever I go back and reread the Golden Age arc, it feels like the old Foss is an altogether different character. I know that characters change and evolve in Berserk, but somehow, Foss' transformation seems particularly drastic, even compared to that of Farnese. It's inconceivable to me now that he would ever be or could have been a lethally conniving monster. I can buy that he'd never trifle with Griffith again, but somehow, it just feels like he's now a kind and concerned man whose primary preoccupations are the liberation of his kingdom and the protection (as much as he's capable of giving) of his people, even at personal cost. Given his earlier characterization, I would've imagined that he'd be among the very first to flee "City of the Damned" Windham rather than risk anything to reverse the flow of events. Anyone else feel the same way?

Also, in reference to the Prince's question regarding why Femto didn't rape Guts during the eclipse - well, who knows what Femto would've done to Casca AND Guts if Skull Knight hadn't shown up? Remember, Skull Knight crashed through the tornado just as Femto had finished raping Casca, not just as he was about to kill Guts. I think that Femto was a long, long way from being finished torturing the two of them. And given that Griffith readily had sex with that nasty, nasty count (shudder!) for money, I wouldn't really have put it past him to rape men as an implement of torture either. Who's to say he wouldn't have done that to Guts (or done worse, for that matter), given more time?
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

The Prince wrote: If he liked Guts so much, why didn't he butt rape Gut's during the eclipse instead of Caska?
Guts has a pretty high tolerance for physical pain-- I think that watching that happen to Caska hurt him much more than anything Griffith could've done to him physically. Make no mistake, that scene was much more about hurting Guts for his perceived betrayal than about being particularly pleasurable to Griffith himself. After all, if he'd been interested in Caska, he could have had her willingly anytime he wanted for most of the time they knew each other.

Also, as absoflabb says, there's no telling what other activities he might have moved on to if he hadn't been interrupted.

BTW, I've seen a doujin out there that depicts what might've happened if Griffith had chosen a different victim... very, very disturbing stuff indeed, although I think which version is more disturbing depends greatly on the gender of the person reading it.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

292 Preview

"Mist of Death"

PS: thanks LordMune ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

psi29a wrote:292 Preview

"Mist of Death"

PS: thanks LordMune ;)
:LOL:
OMG...LOL!

Thanks psi and LM.....interesting picture. Is that the actual dialogue or is LordMune trying to be funny?

My Thoughts.....
[spoiler]

*I just peepee'd my panties.

Appears as though Griffith is really going to "stick" it to the Emperor in this chapter!
:kekeke:[/spoiler]
Last edited by The Prince on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

The Prince wrote:Thanks psi and LM.....interesting picture. Is that the actual dialogue or is LordMune trying to be funny?

My Thoughts.....
[spoiler]Does anyone else find this pic. hilarious?

Appears as though Griffith is really going to "stick" it to the Emperor in this chapter!
:kekeke:[/spoiler]
:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke: :ssh: teehee

I think this needs to be a tradition...