Berserk chapter: 289

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Re: Berserk chapter: 289

Post by Death&Rebirth »

absofflab wrote:And one quick question: I can't make it out, but who's that lying next to Guts in the ship's hold?
Farnese brother, i think...
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Awesome release with an even more awesome ending. WIth the next release date being so close I wouldn't be suprised if it got delayed.

Or perhaps there won't be any rediculously detailed oceans to draw?
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Wow, cool chapter and mind-blowing image quality. That'll be down to our new full-time scanning pirate-ninja as well as sweet editing? :worship:
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Thanks EG, awesome chapter. Now there's nothing between Guts & co and elfhiem
Death&Rebirth wrote:
absofflab wrote:And one quick question: I can't make it out, but who's that lying next to Guts in the ship's hold?
nope that wasn't him. Farense brother was standing near her. Probably some random guy.
Cougerman
imanewbie

Post by Cougerman »

torrent link is not working for me, is anyone else same having problems?
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:Thanks EG, awesome chapter. Now there's nothing between Guts & co and elfhiem
Death&Rebirth wrote:
nope that wasn't him. Farense brother was standing near her. Probably some random guy.

Actually no...
It is Farense brother.
Who's standing near her is Serpico
absofflab
imanewbie

Post by absofflab »

Ah. It's Magnifico who's in the hold next to Guts. Thanks guys.

Geez, that boy really isn't living up to his name at all, is he? Given how (well) the other Vandimion children have all turned out, I'm really starting to question his..."lineage". If I recall correctly, the other two brothers have substantial positions in office or in the clergy, and Farnese is well on her way to becoming a powerful witch. And Serpico is a fantastic scholar (going by the encyclopedic knowledge he's displayed so far about military and politics) and wind elemental warrior. Magnifico's...a coward...and incompetent...and unlikable......and seasick...

I'd almost feel bad for him, if only he weren't such a total douchebag.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

yeah, I was thinking the same damn thing.
You know his name actually means "The magnificent one"? The poor bastard seemed to be so promising when he was talking to Roderick on the party at Vitranniss.....too bad, his "the new world will be ours" speech was just worthless crap after all... :?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:yeah, I was thinking the same damn thing.
You know his name actually means "The magnificent one"? The poor bastard seemed to be so promising when he was talking to Roderick on the party at Vitranniss.....too bad, his "the new world will be ours" speech was just worthless crap after all... :?
He's just in denial about how totally pathetic he is. Magnifico simply demonstrates a standard example of an inflated sense of self-worth.
SONGSAN
imanewbie

Post by SONGSAN »

Thanks for this. Really helpful with the state of mind I'm in.
Grandfather_of_Lies
notanewb

Post by Grandfather_of_Lies »

lon3vvolf wrote:Awesome release with an even more awesome ending. WIth the next release date being so close I wouldn't be suprised if it got delayed.

Or perhaps there won't be any rediculously detailed oceans to draw?

:D Please choke on those words. :D

No offense, but PLEASE don't jinx the next chapter. It is too slow as it is,

Tnx EG !
Jack! Jack!
Jack in a Box
Jack of all Trades
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Great chapter, but due to my slowness I didn't understand anything that was going on in the ship fight. XD

Thanks for the great scanlation. Btw, on one of the earlier pages there's a small speech bubble by Ishidro which is blank...was this just one of those "shock" blubs, or did it actually have text in it? I presumed it was just surprise.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Magnifico does seem like a pathetic, cowering worm...but I wouldn't underestimate him for the moment. While his character right now is purely for comic relief and a target for puns, it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to a backstabbing douche.
Btw, on one of the earlier pages there's a small speech bubble by Ishidro which is blank...was this just one of those "shock" blubs, or did it actually have text in it? I presumed it was just surprise.
Yeah, we missed it, sorry. We thought it was one of those 'shock' bubbles too, so when we were checking the final product, we didn't catch it. Hm, a bit depressing that this happened. I can assure you that it was not of any importance, though.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Rest assured, I don't see how a speech bubble which looks like it'd have trouble fitting a single word in it would have held much importance.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Thanks for the work EG love the beast panels... arrrrrr :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

tnx to Miura Kentarou for another great release and EG for the high quality translation and edditing.
the artwork is again Amazing especially the Beast in chaines in the last pages. i took the privelege to make it my avatar.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

absofflab wrote:Ah. It's Magnifico who's in the hold next to Guts. Thanks guys.

Geez, that boy really isn't living up to his name at all, is he? Given how (well) the other Vandimion children have all turned out, I'm really starting to question his..."lineage". If I recall correctly, the other two brothers have substantial positions in office or in the clergy, and Farnese is well on her way to becoming a powerful witch. And Serpico is a fantastic scholar (going by the encyclopedic knowledge he's displayed so far about military and politics) and wind elemental warrior. Magnifico's...a coward...and incompetent...and unlikable......and seasick...

I'd almost feel bad for him, if only he weren't such a total douchebag.
Yeah, it seems those that willingly follow Guts have a certain courage to face the unknown while the rest of the people in the world of Midland are guided by fear and greed (much like the situation in medieval times). I'm guessing that Magnifico will either gain some courage or will be removed from the story one way or another. Judging from his cowardice that even Isidoro does not even show, he probably won't grow some balls and will either die or somehow head back to Midland...then again...there has to be a reason why Miura would have him follow the rest of the group onto the ship.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yeah, it seems those that willingly follow Guts have a certain courage to face the unknown while the rest of the people in the world of Midland are guided by fear and greed (much like the situation in medieval times). I'm guessing that Magnifico will either gain some courage or will be removed from the story one way or another.
Boy I hope it's the latter, having to go spend the amount of story time necessary for him to develope into something worthwhile just sounds incredibly painful.
then again...there has to be a reason why Miura would have him follow the rest of the group onto the ship.
I'm currently hoping for something other than him becoming a group member, such as a (very temporary) comic relief, to help Farnese's character develope a bit more when he gets killed later, or (as Eldo hypothesized) so he can betray them at some point. Almost anything, as long as he dies sometime not too far in the future (chapter wise, not Real World time, where everything's well into the future).
absofflab
imanewbie

Post by absofflab »

I don't think that I actually want to see Magnifico die; I just find him enormously useless at this point. I don't think that, given his current ability levels, he'd even be able to properly betray them ("properly betray" - I never thought I'd string those two words together). For evidence, look how badly his attempt at manipulating his sister turned out. He might have the malice or pettiness to run over people on his way to success, but he doesn't have the skill to succeed. Now, it may be that was a single incident, but in light of his lack of success desptie all of the opportunity open to him, I really doubt that.

In all honesty though, if there's a way, storywise, to turn this character around to make him...baseline adequate...I'd be happy to see it. I'm more than sure that Miura could pull it off, and then some. Farnese started off as a supremely unlikable character every which way. By the time she's in the cave of the trolls fighting for Casca (much moreso than for herself), she'd developed a completely sympathetic side. She was actually concerned about someone else's well-being more than her own, and her selflessness didn't feel contrived at all. I believed that Farnese cared for Casca, and I found myself completely disturbed by the prospect of something awful happening to her (because, y'know, NO ONE in the Berserk universe is safe from harm for long - it's like everyone's a guaranteed eventual winner in a "painful death" lottery). Hell, I even felt bad about Corkus' passing, and God knows, I wanted Guts to impale that prick repeatedly in the beginning. So if there's chance for another turnaround, I say bring it!
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

Thanks again for another awesome release, EG.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

I thought I posted the day this came out... but I was reading what everyone else had to say and I didn't see it... so I guess I was really tired and closed the window without hitting submit.

Thanks a ton for the chapter EG... I can't wait to see what the new developments with the inner beast is... because showing it this way could lead the story in several amazing directions...all of which I'm looking forward too.

Its definitely bigger than its ever been and barely being held back. I wonder if the chains are self control or if its something Shirke did while she was playing around in his head. magical chains as it were?

Or maybe its just the thought of battle near Gatts and he's not involved and this is how the beast reacts.... when was the last time he was near bloodshed and battle and not been able to get a little?

as for Magnifico I see him getting a Behilt at some point and becoming a big problem for the rest of Gatts squad to deal with while he's otherwise occupied. Thats my own theory I'm sticking with. ;p
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

i think the beast is just the anger and hate towards the apostles, Godhand and especially Grifith, living inside Guts. the chains would be the person he wants to protect wich is why he must choose. chain the beast to help his friends, or unleash the beast to destroy Grifith and the other demonic creatures. the beast inside Guts is struggling to free himself. the armor he is wearing uses the power of the beast to give Guts unnatural strengt. however by giving that power, it makes the beast inside Guts stronger. I think that Guts has suffered so much from his injuries during the recent battles that his power to control the beast might weaken. we will see next chapter if the beast can break the chains.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

as for Magnifico I see him getting a Behilt at some point and becoming a big problem for the rest of Gatts squad to deal with while he's otherwise occupied. Thats my own theory I'm sticking with. ;p
But as far as we've seen, the Behelits usually come to people who have very powerful dreams, and are activated when those dreams are shattered. What dream of his could qualify?
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Thank you for the release EG. This chapter was a piece of art. Really the whole pirate settings isn't really getting to me that much because we've seen a lot of pirates since the Pirates of the Caribbean but I'm enjoying the pace in this chapter and the hints of foreshadowing/character development in the last few chapters.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Wib
imanewbie

Post by Wib »

orz orz orz Thank you, I'm your fanclub!