Berserk: 287 - "Bubbles"

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Re: Berserk: 287 - "Bubbles"

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:EG, you don't know how much you rule.

Anyway, this chapter was pure filler, so in a way, shame on Miura. I hope we'll get real material soon.
Yeah nothing happened, but damn guts looks messed up.
Selrahc
imanewbie

Post by Selrahc »

Is there something wrong, I cannot seem to get the torrent file to download.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Selrahc wrote:Is there something wrong, I cannot seem to get the torrent file to download.
The tracker hiccuped. It is fixed, carry on.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

But I do quite like the character development for Guts we got this chapter. I wonder what'll come of his metal hand, rather he'll try to get it made to be more for protecting than fighting, or if he'll simply leave it be. Either way, it seems the eclipse events seem to be slowly coming back to haunt him. While I'm sure the experience never left him, I think over the course of the story he cared less about what happened and what was done to him and others and more aimed towards simple vengeance.

I think Guts may from this point on start weighing his choices, that trying to get vengeance against Griffith will only bring more sacrifices and that he may decide to simply go into peace in a paradise like Puck's home. Tho, I don't think it would be Berserk if Guts decided ultimately not to try to get vengeance on Griffith.

But you gotta feel for the guy, he's probably really being tugged between these two options.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
Jn183
imanewbie

Post by Jn183 »

Thx for the release EG

It seems like Guts might get a new arm. Maybe a human arm? (O_O) It's a magical world afterall. As much as I want Casca to regain her memory, I just don't see any room for the old Casca just yet. Can't believe I'm saying this but don't mind the current Casca for another few volumes or so hehe.
Ziggamafu
imanewbie

Post by Ziggamafu »

what a depressing chapter
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks for a great chapter, EG. You guy's really do great work, and it's very much appreciated.
Ziggamafu
imanewbie

Post by Ziggamafu »

Oh yes, apologies for not immediately adding my constant thanks. I am very sorry for your loss of beer. If I lived close to you, I would buy you two cases of your favorite beer.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:

Anyway, this chapter was pure filler, so in a way, shame on Miura. I hope we'll get real material soon.
I don't agree with that. There's a tonne of character development in this chapter. First off, Roderick seems to treat Guts with immense respect from their conversation. Farnese's feelings towards Guts, her uncertainty about it when they retreated from spirit form back to the body just as Guts was about to say what Casca is to him. There's also Schierke's response to Farnese's feelings towards Guts, gripping her staff tightly in silence.

To Casca's side, while she was chasing the bird, she ran further and further away from Guts as he approached her (obviously, there were still some unresolved issues between the two from back when Guts tried to rape her and bit her breast). And finally, as she fell, she reached her hand to Guts. Could this symbolise that Casca has accepted Guts once again, or was this simply a reflex action? Furthermore, to support my theory, Casca held on to Guts after she landed on the water. If she still hated or feared him, she wouldn't have held onto him like that. You wouldn't hold on to a shark even if you're going to drown, would you? Casca seemed like she was struggling due to the water, and not due to Guts holding onto her. This could just be my own interpretation, we'll have to see the next chapter if this is indeed true or false.

And yes, I did give up free beer to edit Berserk. In order to get free beer, I had to wake up at 7 am on the weekends and travel 2 hours to get to that function. But I had to edit that Berserk chapter, which was a pretty MQ raw to begin with and I had an immense dissatisfaction editing it. But oh well, as always, you guys win, I lose.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Ziggamafu
imanewbie

Post by Ziggamafu »

Eldo wrote:
And yes, I did give up free beer to edit Berserk. In order to get free beer, I had to wake up at 7 am on the weekends and travel 2 hours to get to that function. But I had to edit that Berserk chapter, which was a pretty MQ raw to begin with and I had an immense dissatisfaction editing it. But oh well, as always, you guys win, I lose.
::hushed tone::
Your secret ingredient is love.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

A depressing chapter but its far far from Empty as others have said.

Fantastic character development and thanks EG for all your hard work.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Eldo wrote:
ShinigamiGuts wrote:

I don't agree with that. There's a tonne of character development in this chapter. First off, Roderick seems to treat Guts with immense respect from their conversation. Farnese's feelings towards Guts, her uncertainty about it when they retreated from spirit form back to the body just as Guts was about to say what Casca is to him. There's also Schierke's response to Farnese's feelings towards Guts, gripping her staff tightly in silence.

To Casca's side, while she was chasing the bird, she ran further and further away from Guts as he approached her (obviously, there were still some unresolved issues between the two from back when Guts tried to rape her and bit her breast). And finally, as she fell, she reached her hand to Guts. Could this symbolise that Casca has accepted Guts once again, or was this simply a reflex action? Furthermore, to support my theory, Casca held on to Guts after she landed on the water. If she still hated or feared him, she wouldn't have held onto him like that. You wouldn't hold on to a shark even if you're going to drown, would you? Casca seemed like she was struggling due to the water, and not due to Guts holding onto her. This could just be my own interpretation, we'll have to see the next chapter if this is indeed true or false.

I totally agree. This chapter brings more of the inner (not beast consumed) Guts. Still, the conversation with Roderick shows some respect towards Guts (possibility result of seeing him in action and knowing that even that injured it's still someone not to take lightly) and still discomfort of Guts with the "commander". I only disagree that Casca reached her hand towards Guts. At least when people fall in that position, that's were the hands and arms are supposed to be. Still have the felling that she was smiling during the falling (just like when before Casca and Guts consumed their love).
Thank god the next chapter will be in two weeks which will drove more into Guts introspection.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

after reading this again I have to say Guts is looking his most pathetic ever. He's never looked this haggard after any fight or series of fights...even during the lost children arc and he had injuries all over and had a hole through his cheeks and all that... he didn't look that bad afterwards...injured sure.

He just looks exhausted in this...which is a huge compliment to the artist and his skill.

I mean I realize he was struck by lightning essentially, burned, chomped on by a whale and all the other damage he took... but this is really the first time it looks like he feels it.

Such a great chapter.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I think the worst thing of all, is the armor. That's why he has those little scars, literally, all over his body. It's a powerful weapon, but it definitely doesn't come without a cost. Though most of that was done from the first time he put it on I think, so the more he learns how to control it, the less dangerous it'll probably be for him. Yeah, this chapter was good though, had some good development. It was cool too see Gatts getting deep again, like he used to. Man, it's been a while since we've seen that bare stump of his, heh. Just goes to show that that left hand of his really isn't as agile as we give it credit for, heh. Also, I gained some respect for Roderick in this chapter, he seems like an honorable man of the sea.
MasterHan
imanewbie

Post by MasterHan »

(Yay, First post. Hey All~!)

Great chapter, and as already stated, a depressing one at that. But it really does make you think about Gut's whole...situation, is what I guess you would call it. From what I can gather, I believe Miura is hinting that Guts wants his old arm back, or get a new arm entirely. The first thing that popped into my mind when he was talking about it, was a new arm with less heavy metal. Anyways, the artwork is still fantastic, and keep up the good job at translating guys!

Oh yea, and I found it was pretty cool that on page 16-17, Miura used the Eclipse as an eye.
thesyndrome
imanewbie

Post by thesyndrome »

starnum, i think that the "little scars" all over his body aren't from the armour (as such), but from his skin being burned from:
A) schierke implementing the flame wheel into him when he attacked the kushan sorceror (inside the water snake)
B) the emperor hitting him with lighting and burning his skin (have you ever seen people who have been electrocuted [ i say people, i mean corpses]? they have severe skin burns)

also, i dont think that guts is going to get his old arm back, but perhaps a magical upgrade to his current one/ a whole new magical arm altogether (acting as a proper prostetic arm, with finger movement)
interesting note: in almost all of the flashbacks where guts is going to grab caska, he is using his left hand...perhaps symbolising that him severing his arm severed their connection as well? another case of "you don't know what you've lost till it's gone"
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I agree with Eldo there. My interpretation of "filler" is an episode/chapter which lacks character development, and/or one of content that has no bearing on the main story. On those terms, this was not "filler" at all. People are just getting impatient for Elfhelm, methinks.

On to the chapter itself, and the armour looks to be taking it's toll. Guts seemed to be having trouble with his eyesight, and Skull Knight did warn him of a gradual loss in senses. He might even abandon the armour if/when it gets worse.

Shortly after that, Caska goes overboard. As she falls, I don't think she reaches for Guts, and I couldn't see a smile on her face either. To me, she had a look of indifference as if she was content to part from Guts, and he seems to pick up on this; "So easily... she slipped away. Even if we painstakingly piece together something lost, I guess... it doesn't mean it will be back to normal". It's pretty clear that Guts is talking about his failing relationship with Caska, and as thesyndrome points out, his left arm symbolises that. I just hope he doesn't give up on her when they're so close to Elfhelm.

Anyway, thanks to Miura-san, and thanks to EG for your continued work (and dedication :beer: ).
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

Thanks a ton guys.

The only thing I was disappointed by was our own hype that something might happen. After all that speculation it was just sea sickness. :?

Although something is going to happen soon between guts and caska. something big I hope.
Wib
imanewbie

Post by Wib »

Thank you, my friend.
I love you.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Guts' metal hand has always been a bit inconsistent. It can apparently grip a sword hilt strongly enough for Guts to wield the Dragon Slayer two-handed (I believe the official explanation is that it's "magnetic"-- which is completely ridiculous unless Guts is keeping an electrical generator up his ass to make it a powerful electromagnet), but it can't grip Caska's hand to save her from drowning. It's always seemed kind of out-of-place, too; a bizarre little bit of steampunk in an otherwise straight fantasy-based universe. I still love it, of course-- it's a damn cannon attached to his arm, how cool is that!-- but it definitely requires more than a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Its symbolic relevance aside, I do wonder if getting it submerged in seawater isn't setting us up for something. Rust is a concern, as is the wetting of whatever shells and gunpowder Guts had on him for its cannon function at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fail him in some suitably dramatic manner at a critical point of some future fight scene.

As far as the possibility of Guts having it replaced, given the severity of the wounds that Puck has managed to heal without too much effort it's not inconceivable that the Elf King might be able to induce Guts' arm (and eye?) to grow back magically. For story purposes, though, I don't see it happening; those wounds have some deep symbolic implications, and it would feel like a bit of a copout if they could be done away with due to the equivalent of a Cure 3 spell.
However, I wonder what effect the Berserker armour might have on a missing limb. Since it can cover and uncover different parts of Guts' body at least partially according to his own will and even bolt itself directly to his skeleton to keep him fighting, I wonder if it might not be able to temporarily manufacture a fully animated armoured hand for use in battle. And given the armour's "devil's bargain" nature, I wonder what the consequences or possible side effects of such a thing might be?
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

hbi2k wrote:Guts' metal hand has always been a bit inconsistent. It can apparently grip a sword hilt strongly enough for Guts to wield the Dragon Slayer two-handed (I believe the official explanation is that it's "magnetic"-- which is completely ridiculous unless Guts is keeping an electrical generator up his ass to make it a powerful electromagnet), but it can't grip Caska's hand to save her from drowning. It's always seemed kind of out-of-place, too; a bizarre little bit of steampunk in an otherwise straight fantasy-based universe. I still love it, of course-- it's a damn cannon attached to his arm, how cool is that!-- but it definitely requires more than a bit of suspension of disbelief.
I think the magnets are stronger in the Berserk world. Since Guts can't control his metal hand, he couldn't wrap the metal fingers around Casca's hand it couldn't grip onto her. It seemed that he had treated this metallic hand as a part of him, and only reminded that it's only a tool from that incident. But who cares, like you said, it's a goddamn cannon. If there's monsters, elves and physics-defying action, I could definitely let the magnet hand go.

Also, I like your theory about the rust on the metal hand. I do have a feeling that it will fail on him, and he'll go into Berserk mode again. I also hope he doesn't get his hand and eye grown back as well, that would be a shitty retcon, like bringing people back to life.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I really don't see why people are thinking that Guts shall get a new arm or his old arm back. The end of the chapter deliberately shows Guts' acceptance that things can never go back to the way they were, and he realized this through his prosthetic arm. There's no implication that Guts will get a new arm, and if Berserk has one literary element it is most definitely foreshadowing.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I do wonder if getting it submerged in seawater isn't setting us up for something. Rust is a concern, as is the wetting of whatever shells and gunpowder Guts had on him for its cannon function at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fail him in some suitably dramatic manner at a critical point of some future fight scene.
I really doubt it, and I would be highly annoyed if something like that happened. Sure, metal will rust, and salt water is especially bad for metal, but that's only if you don't very thouroghly clean it afterwards. Same with the gunpowder, they're on a warship, don't tell me he can't replace his gunpowder if he needs to. Guts is an extremely expierenced warrior, he's fully aware of the importance of caring for his weapons (you think his arm's never gotten wet before? Or covered in blood, which is also very bad for metal?). For him to fail in caring for his equipment in such a basic way just wouldn't seem relistic to me.
I really don't see why people are thinking that Guts shall get a new arm or his old arm back. The end of the chapter deliberately shows Guts' acceptance that things can never go back to the way they were, and he realized this through his prosthetic arm. There's no implication that Guts will get a new arm, and if Berserk has one literary element it is most definitely foreshadowing.
I agree, I think Guts acknowledgement that some things can't be fixed was one of the most important developments of this chapter. Having his arm magically cured just wouldn't work.
ghostdog
imanewbie

Post by ghostdog »

Thanks again for the great work you do with berserk

And finally we get to see a really good chapter, frankly I was getting bored with all the unstoppable action that every time gets even more outrageous...This is an excellent chapter with a lot of character development and finally we get to see a bit of Guts and Caska...
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

there are incredibly strong magnets...granted thats here and now...

You never know though....maybe Godo invented Neodymium magnets...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet
Neodymium magnets should always be handled carefully. Some that are slightly larger than the size of a penny are powerful enough to lift over 10 kilograms.
The bigger ones if you get your fingers between two of them that are coming together you're likely to lose them.