Movies of 2007

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Kazure
This is my new home

Re: Movies of 2007

Post by Kazure »

Finito wrote:*Watch out spoilers*

*spoilers*
Personally, I didn't like the ending, feels unfinished to me, when I saw that ending, I thought it was so lame it looked like an alternate ending or a joke, even if it was their goal, I still felt like I was ripped off.

Overall, I don't think they did a good job at wrapping the series up. Still I'd give the movie an acceptable score. I also doubt another movie is coming.

I actually liked the ending. It kind of resembled how the first pirates started: Depp on a little ship. And he'd embark on many more adventures with the only difference lying in Will.

I do agree that there were rather redundant scenes. The marriage scene of bogus but I do love Barbossa.

Movie effects were great. I enjoyed the movie and its story despite much bashing.

The love triangle thing is awkward. Elizabeth was digging Sparrow the entire movie and then just ditches him for sissy boy. ack.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I watched Hannibal Rising. I actually thought it was really good. I liked the Japanese influence, but of course I would. Hannibal's really the sort of serial killer you can get behind, don't you think? With what happened to him as a child, it's no wonder he went insane.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Kazure wrote:
Finito wrote:*Watch out spoilers*

*spoilers*
Personally, I didn't like the ending, feels unfinished to me, when I saw that ending, I thought it was so lame it looked like an alternate ending or a joke, even if it was their goal, I still felt like I was ripped off.

Overall, I don't think they did a good job at wrapping the series up. Still I'd give the movie an acceptable score. I also doubt another movie is coming.

I actually liked the ending. It kind of resembled how the first pirates started: Depp on a little ship. And he'd embark on many more adventures with the only difference lying in Will.

I do agree that there were rather redundant scenes. The marriage scene of bogus but I do love Barbossa.

Movie effects were great. I enjoyed the movie and its story despite much bashing.

The love triangle thing is awkward. Elizabeth was digging Sparrow the entire movie and then just ditches him for sissy boy. ack.
If you start grading the pirates of the caribbean movies by their story and whether or not something makes sense, you'll end up giving it a low score. But the're very entertaining, and that's where they try to excell. Personally, I thought each movie was good and I would see them again as long as I have time to spare and it's free, but that's as far as I would go.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Nuttz
imanewbie

Post by Nuttz »

So far I have enjoyed the 2007 movies, with such movies as Spider Man 3, The Messangers, Ghost Rider, and just recently Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Movies that I cant wait to come out are: Resident Evil Apoc., Transformers, and Rush Hour 3
Roar! I shall smash the little squeeshies!
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Trailer for I AM LEGEND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX773fMkS90

trailer for 30 DAYS OF NIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71MzESI2tQA

Can't wait to see I AM Legend. I loved The Last Man on Earth but have yet to see the OMEGA MAN.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, those were some cool previews, thanks for the heads up. ;)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

MournfulWoods wrote:Trailer for I AM LEGEND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX773fMkS90

Can't wait to see I AM Legend. I loved The Last Man on Earth but have yet to see the OMEGA MAN.
I'm all about this movie, I read the book while I was younger. The Omega Man is a cult classic but heavily deviates from the book on many layers and throws in a bit of Christ like symbolism in the end.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

10/10 for hot fuzz, it wasn't as good as per say Shaun of the dead, BUT it was still great.

My favorite part would have to be when [spoiler]Nicholas Angel just runs and drop kicks the old woman.[/spoiler]

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

Damien wrote:10/10 for hot fuzz, it wasn't as good as per say Shaun of the dead, BUT it was still great.

My favorite part would have to be when [spoiler]Nicholas Angel just runs and drop kicks the old woman.[/spoiler]
Agreed, excellent movie. Though I don't really like fast cuts, here it flows well with the comedic and action elements.

Watched it a few times already, never lets me down :D
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

A movie of 87 rather 07 but still.

I saw Project A II by Jackie Chan.

It had some the coolest craziest fight scenes ever. Also there were alot great comedy. As usuall it was funny watching Jackie failing his stunts when the credits come up :lol:

10/10 simply awesome even by Jacke Chan standards. Also he got such a beating in this movie that we couldnt believe how bad he were suppose to be fightingwise.

Also saw the Sentinel with Jack Baur ;). It was good spywise but the traitor was so clear. That we couldnt believe how clear they made him look evil and stuff. 6/10 only cause M.Douglas did a good job and Jack Bauer rocks even as a Secret Service guy :lol:
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

So I watched Hot Fuzz tonight.

And if I wanted to be a harsh critic (and compare it to Sean of the dead) I'd have to say it's a failure. Compared to Sean of the Dead, which was pure unadulterated genius, Hot Fuzz was a frickin' family flick. And that's pretty much the worst insult you can do to a film.

But let's not get ahead of myself, and NOT compare it to SotD. What you get is...

the good: Some reasonable attempts at black humour, some good dialogue, above average characters for what is basically almost a hollywood production, and.... ok, Timothy Dalton.

But what you also get is... the bad:
[spoiler]Any attempts at black humour at put to bed by the ridiculously family fun ending shootout. NOONE FRICKIN GETS HURT!!!! (at least not badly enough) The movie should have ended with him obliterating the entire frickin' village, instead just of the model village. The friendly murdering villagers should have been killed off in grotesquely funny ways. But NO, one guy gets a model church tower through his jaw, SO FUCKING WHAT? I'm not a violence afficionado, but hey, it deserved an ending like the lawnmower scene. (Peter Jackson used to make good movies, more than one.)[/spoiler]

And finally, it gets worse... the ugly:
Either you make an action scene, and make it spot on, or you pack up and leave. Those cuts just give me headaches, and they don't do a good job of ridiculing other action movies, either, because there are GOOD action movies out there. BAD action movies cut up everything. You don't have to ridicule bad action movies, they ridicule themselves.

And really don't get me started on that bloody obnoxious graveyard scene at the end. Those scenes have NEVER been funny, even when the grandfathers of filmmaking did them. It would have been funny to purposefully disappoint viewers by really letting someone die at the end.

So, after not comparing Hot Fuzz to SotD, well.... it was an above average comedy, and I enjoyed watching it, but it became rotten with the beginning of the ending shootout. Maybe 7/10 final score, whereas the beginning could have been an easy 9.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I really liked Hot Fuzz, I saw it late at night when I was sleepy and still enjoyed it. The thing with the action scenes is that it's a comedy, it doesn't have to make sense. And about the [spoiler]"guy who got the model church tower through his jaw", that had to be one of the funniest moments in the movie.[/spoiler]

The ending doesn't make much logical sense, but neither does the main story. I also liked Shaun Of The Dead, but by the end the movie became too dramatical and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be laughing or not; they kinda went the opposite way with Hot Fuzz and I liked it better.

By the way, the DVD of Hot Fuzz won't come to the US until late July. You'd think the MPAA would be quicker at releasing English movies because they're already in English, but they like to make everything harder for everyone.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

you guys do understand that the spoilers you guys wrote the reasoning behind it is the result of EVERY action movie. NO matter how times you shoot, no one seems to ever get hurt, until the "final" showdown between the good guy and the bad guy.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Also, Sgt. Nicholas Angel would never shoot to kill, he doesn't even like guns.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Anyone else watch DoA?? It was hilarous(SP?) Acting sucked but entertainment value is high. The casting was ok although Ryu was played by some wimpy looking guy which brought the movie down... I am not into DoA much so I dont know the story too well so that probably helped :D
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Wow, i just saw ghost rider and shooter.... Ghost Rider was soooooooooooooooooo fucking horrible, Eva Mendez's tits were the only good thing about the movie.

Shooter on the other hand was bad ass, but Danny Glover's lisp made my ears bleed.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Ghost Rider was what is expect: no substance, no acting just a special effects show case.
Well what can you expect from M. Steven Johnson.
I thought he would get a hint with Daredevil but he proved me wrong.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

either way ghost rider sucked.

but RDJ looks like FUCKING TONY STARK! Terrence Howards as War Machine, SNAP!

/edit i just noticed that cole burns looks like tony stark...
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Sandman wrote:Anyone else watch DoA?? It was hilarous(SP?) Acting sucked but entertainment value is high. The casting was ok although Ryu was played by some wimpy looking guy which brought the movie down... I am not into DoA much so I dont know the story too well so that probably helped :D
What DoA story? The megacorp, fighting tournement, clone making story? I haven't seen the movie only the cast. I do not approve.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

halfnhalf wrote:either way ghost rider sucked.

but RDJ looks like FUCKING TONY STARK! Terrence Howards as War Machine, SNAP!

/edit i just noticed that cole burns looks like tony stark...
Yehaa, RBJ does transpire Tony Stark's vibe, if only he was a drunkie and not a junkie it would fill the part perfectly. It seems that this marvel adaptation does has a good cast (Jeff Bridges as Jebediah, "Tony"'s arch-enemy). I just hope that this don't go has Hulk (with a great cast and a great director) went and bet only on the special effects.
On side note: rumour is that War-Machine doesn't appear in this movie. Hope this goes good and hopeful for a sequel with War-Machine.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

They remaking hairspray. I'm such a fanboy of the original.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Death&Rebirth: RDJ also has a drinking problem as well as a drug problem, so it is pretty much a perfect match.

Oh and hairspray is too much fun. Corny Collins Show here i COME!! lol
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I saw Deathproof yesterday. A Quentin Tarantino movie. Good movie, classical tarantino style, not much of a story though and a very weird/cool? ending. Starts off boring, gets better afterwards: 7/10?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I assume you saw Planet Terror at the same time, or did you somehow see a version that didn't show both movies in Grindhouse?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Why is this thread suddenly abbreviations spamfest? :(

I've watched Shrek III, well, it's good, but nothing fantastic. Feels like routine, by now.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.