Interview: Toshio Nakatani, Berserk's TV producer

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Interview: Toshio Nakatani, Berserk's TV producer

Post by psi29a »

Toshio Nakatani, Berserk's TV producer

Below is a transcript of the interview with Berserk's TV producer, Toshio Nakatani. Big thanks to ZKK for providing me with the transcript. You can see the actual interview on Media Blasters Region 1 Berserk DVD release (on the 5th disc).

We're here to talk to Mr. Nakatani, the producer of Berserk about the making of Berserk as an animation series. As a producer, I am sure you're always looking for good stories to animate. Could you please tell us how you came across Berserk and why you chose to animate it?
The point of this project was that it was to be animated for television. It wasn't made for video distribution. Berserk was made to be broadcast on TV. It was aired on late night TV. So the targeted audience was limited. If you broadcast during prime time, kids as well as adults are your audience. Broadcasting late at night gave us the opportunity to target a wide and young adult audience who've begun to understand the ways of the world. This time slot did not originally belong to an animation but to a variety show. This project's first consideration was how to create an animation that could fit this time slot. We realized that a typical animation would not work. We had to breakdown stereotypes and to turn the known parameters on their sides. It had to be something with a strong impact. That's where it started. I've been an anime producer for a long time. It's not something most producers would have chosen to be made for TV. This story isn't my typical choice for an animation. But I chose it because that it itself would create an impact. That and the great story line itself. The reason it was difficult to adapt to TV was its violent content. But behind the violence is the passion and the struggles of the young people. I wanted to make this come to life. And the late-night time slot allowed me to try something totally new. It seemed like the perfect match, that's why I chose it.

I see, so this was a challenging project.
Most definitely. This project began in 1997. There was an animation boom in Japan at the time. There were about 60 new animations being created in Japan. The market was over saturated. Nihon TV wasn't broadcasting anything during the late night slot back then. But other stations, this isn't very nice to say but... the quality was so poor that you could barely watch them. Most of them were not up to TV standards. So if Nihon TV were to go this route we decided to do it head on, to put everything into it. We spent more money on production than prime time does. This cost 1.5-2 times more than a prime time production does... That's how much effort was put into it. Although it was late night, if we could make an impact and send our message the production costs would be offset in many ways. We were thinking pretty positive.

I'm sure you encountered many difficulties in adapting this story to animation. There are many violent scenes, there's a lot of slicing and dicing, if you will... it is a story with a lot of blood. What were some of your concerns when you were adapting this to animation?
Regarding the violence, unfortunately, it was horrible timing. At that time, there was the very well known murders in Kobe where a young child was committing gruesome murders. And so the question was how to regulate violence on TV. That was our main concern. Of course, we were not happy about this violence. And there's nothing about it that we condone. But on the other hand, the story takes place in Medieval Europe so there were things that could only be expressed with violence. Part of their identities could only be portrayed violently and their passions were hidden behind their violence and battles. It's a story about life, death, and friendship. So rather than take the violence out of it, it was important for me to use the violence to express these things. I don't think watching this would make people violent. And I don't think our viewers are that stupid. It would be like trying to put a lid on something that smells bad. Covering up the violence won't accomplish anything. We show the violence, but if we can show their passions as well... we, including children, can take the violence head on and think about it. Regarding how we portray it in other animations, it's common to use a white or blue flash of light to portray blood when someone has been cut. But rather than make it an abstract thing with white or blue light blood is red, and it hurts, like I mentioned before if you portray it honestly, you can see it for what it is. This is something I feel very strongly about.

I'm sure when you were readapting the story you had to make many decisions about the storyline and the characters to remain 100% true to the original would be extremely difficult. There are only 25 episodes in one season. Could you please talk about some of your concerns and things you absolutely had to cut out in the process of adapting the story.
As far as the storyline goes, there is a pivotal event called "the Great Eclipse". You will know what I am talking about if you've seen it. It is the end of a segment of the story. Berserk is a fantasy animation, but the Great Eclipse ends on a very dark and gloomy note. We went back and forth about ending it at the Great Eclipse but we felt the theme was a priority. Like I mentioned earlier, we wanted to express their struggles and passions. There were young passionate characters in the Band of Hawk and we opted to prioritize their characters. And at the very end, when you see the Great Eclipse you get a sense of their ferocity. And the emptiness and their breakdown can be a part of youth experience. I wanted to broadcast up until the Great Eclipse so I could convey this. There is a character named Puck who appears in the original story. We went back and forth on this, too. In the original Berserk comic by Mr. Miura Puck plays a major role and is integral to Berserk but in the animation of Berserk, Puck was taken out of the picture and it diminishes the fantastical nature a bit but the lead characters, and Guts and Griffith's passion, became the focus and became the common thread throughout the series.So with Mr. Miura's permission, it was decided.

The music for this project, Mr. Hirasawa's music is a perfect fit. What are some of the things you discussed with Mr. Hirasawa?
It was very simple. Mr. Miura, the author of the original story, is a genius. Only he could write something like this. He draws every tiny detail by himself. The music that he listened to while he created this world was that of Mr. Hirasawa. In a way, the music he listened to while he was making Berserk created Berserk. So it makes total sense to bring this music to the animation of Berserk. It's a perfect match. Mr. Mirua wanted it as well. This is shop talk but musically, there are things that work together and things that don't. As I mentioned earlier, one of our goals was to breakdown walls and parameters. So there were disagreements with the record company, but we went for it with Mr. Hirasawa, and fortunately he agreed. We discussed the concepts and he created music that would match perfectly. We all feel that Mr. Hirasawa's music took Berserk to yet another level.

This is a personal question. I'm sure you've had a lot of encounters with movies and animations before becoming an animation producer. Could you please tell us about any animations or movies that have been influential to you?
With regards to animations there are the ones that are representative of my generation but Mobile Suit Gundam is one of my favourites. It's a pretty run of the mill animation. It is a robot story but, like I mentioned earlier ones with human struggle as a theme, young people's concerns like we see in Berserk, that's what Mobile Suit Gundam is about. There were a number of animations but this may surprise you, but actually, I wanted to make documentaries when I came to work at this station. When I was a student, I went to Tibet and all sorts of places. I went down the Yukon River, it's quite popular in North America, river rafting in a rubber boat down the Yukon River in Canada. I also spent time on the Tibet-India border and I was wondering how I could convey a certain thing? And by conveying it, how would the viewers respond? That's what I wanted to do, that's why I came here. But I grew up with manga and anime. So eventually I came to see the beauty of these things that were created. And I think that animation was the most direct route to achieve my goals.

What sort of movies do you like?
Mr. Miura will tell you that he likes fantasy movies like Berserk but I like the blockbuster movies. I like Hollywood blockbuster movies more than the minor films. I like the Hollywood scores and the big productions. I just like Hollywood-style movies. There are some Japanese films that I really like, but I don't think anyone would know them. When it comes to foreign films, let's see, what do I like... I do watch a lot of movies, probably dozens a year but I can't really name any. It's difficult. I like many different kinds of movies.

Our last question. This is to your fans in the U.S. The Berserk DVD's are a huge hit in the U.S and many people have told us that they cannot wait to see the next volume. Do you have a message to your fans in the U.S.?
Thank you very much for watching. It would mean a lot to us if you could catch even a glimpse our passion for this project. From here on out, the true theme that lies dormant, the theme behind the theme... the various things that surface when humans engage in their battles like nihilism or hope or despair. If we can get this across, the secrets of those emotions this project will be a success. The manga Berserk still continues so as a producer, I would like to continue to animate the story beyond the Great Eclipse. If and when this happens I hope that you will continue to watch and that we will continue to hear from you. Thank you very much.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Original:
http://www.thespectrum.net/berserk_info_producer.shtml

ZKK:
http://www.arcticnightfall.com/boards/

Media Blasters:
http://www.media-blasters.com/

edited by psi29a for forum use, just in case.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Last edited by psi29a on Wed May 11, 2005 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

It was very simple. Mr. Miura, the author of the original story, is a genius. Only he could write something like this.
Yeah, yeah!

Well that clears up my questions about why Pukk was cut, but still.. Wyald, Skullknight and The Count..

Thanks Psi. That was interesting. :)
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Damn psi, you keep posting all this Miura information. Awesome though, because like you said in one of the previous ones its really hard to find stuff on him. Thanks Man, keep up the good work. :thumb: :worship:
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Great job! Thanks a bunch!
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

coo
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

psi29a wrote:The manga Berserk still continues so as a producer, I would like to continue to animate the story beyond the Great Eclipse. If and when this happens I hope that you will continue to watch and that we will continue to hear from you. Thank you very much.
that sounds like he is planning to do a 2 season some day...
Maybe it'll be made in few years... that would be good :D
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

It is possible, however improbable that a second season will be done any time soon. By possible, I mean there way to get the season to gel back into the Manga storyline, the producer has left enough open spots to allow for explanations later. For example. the scene near the end when the rest of the Bank of the Hawk gets wiped out while Guts, Caska, and crew go to rescue Griffith. In the Manga SK steps in, however in the Anime, it fads to black and you don't see what exactly scares the shit out of them.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Awesome psi, good work.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

psi29a wrote:It is possible, however improbable that a second season will be done any time soon. By possible, I mean there way to get the season to gel back into the Manga storyline, the producer has left enough open spots to allow for explanations later. For example. the scene near the end when the rest of the Bank of the Hawk gets wiped out while Guts, Caska, and crew go to rescue Griffith. In the Manga SK steps in, however in the Anime, it fads to black and you don't see what exactly scares the shit out of them.
I agree with you, but what is the Bank of the Hawk . :P But yeah they never show Rickert die. They do a good job of keeping it from closing off possibilities for continuation, but I doubt they will do it anytime soon, and if they do I have a feeling they may restart from scratch. Maybe cover the first season in a dozen episodes or something, mainly to redo what was missed, and skipp what was not in the manga.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Ya got me, Band of the Hawk, however... I do believe I could trust them with my money. :P
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Your money would be safe until he kills all his bank employees, but up until then noone would rob them. :lol:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Well hopefully, after I see Griffith arrested I'll be sure recover my assets + Casca because of interest. :P
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

They have a good interest rate at that bank, sign me up. :oops:
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Shade wrote:
It was very simple. Mr. Miura, the author of the original story, is a genius. Only he could write something like this.
Yeah, yeah!

Well that clears up my questions about why Pukk was cut, but still.. Wyald, Skullknight and The Count..

Thanks Psi. That was interesting. :)
Yea i agree. If they are going to be able to make a second volume they will have to introduce the skull knight...they cant get around him....he is too involved with the mangas storyline. The skull knight is the one who saves Guts from the great eclipse/the feast. They have to introduce the skull knight some how.....
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i remember the interview in the dvd set. i thought that it was really interesting as well, to hear his thoughts on the choices of cutting and not cutting parts of berserk.

Since ricket's death was only implied, and there was no real conclusion to the anime (unless u know from reading the comic prior and got it), it seems as though a second season is possible, but not probable. they cut the 1st scene with skull knight (when guts left the the band of the hawks originally). also with puck, it seems like they planned it to be able to not have another series. (sadly) howver, i dont think it would be too hard to add them in for a second season.

i remember looking online after the first time i saw berserk, google-ing "2nd season of berserk" and all i could find were things like "there is no second season of berserk" and "there is no sign of there ever being a second season of berserk" and so on. at least there's the manga though, right? its not as if we dont know whta happeneds..even if it would be nice to see how they would do it in an anime...

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

My hopes are still for an OAV that starts from the beginning and redoes it true to the original in detail and story. Sure the TV creators did a great job for a single season TV broadcast version, but if they ever make more I'd like to see it redone so the other story elements aren't omitted. Hopefully, though, there isn't any CGI involved, as that would make me cry.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Isn't that how they are doing the hellsing one?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Shisho wrote:Hopefully, though, there isn't any CGI involved, as that would make me cry.
I don't know man, some CGI can be done correctly. Have you seen Karas? Perfect CG integration is always nice. ;)
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Hmmm, about the CGI bit. Berserk doesnt seem like the type of anime that would be enhanced with CGI (at least with current technology). I like the grainy animation of the original show, it suits the series in my opinion.

If they made it CGI in the near future it would lose its edge since it would be hard to implement CGI animation while keeping the gritty atmosphere of the series. Things would look too perfect in a sense.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

... this one allways irks me. CGI is an acronym, but not for what you think.

Computer Graphics == CG

Common Gateway Interface == CGI (used all over the place on the WWW, and can the glue that creates CG, not just limited to WWW apps)

Both of those are pretty common in usage, but for whatever reason, people started mixing it up.

Computer-Generated Imagery ( you guessed it, the movie industry)

Yuck, perhaps this should go in the rant thread... but it confuses me to listen or watch conversation. I have to look at the context to figure out what it is they are talking about.
Last edited by psi29a on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, you're probably right, especially if you mean doing the whole thing in CG.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Its pretty clear by both the tv producer and by Miura, think that the US is a key piece to the continuation of Berserk, the anime in particular. The TV producer and Miura both stated that they think that the US film creators are good while we see vice versa as well.

Seeing how Berserk last aired 7 years ago, i would think that if the anime isnt realesed soon than when will it? Perhaps, Miura would help with the anime as well! That would be awsome to see, but would probably take much longer to produce.

Seeing how Berserk has been very successful i dont see why they wouldnt make another anime series. I suppose we will have to wait yet another year to see if it realy does come out.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Miura will never help do a berserk anime cause he doesnt have the time he is busy with a certain manga ;)
'
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

BasouKazuma wrote:Hmmm, about the CGI bit. Berserk doesnt seem like the type of anime that would be enhanced with CGI (at least with current technology). I like the grainy animation of the original show, it suits the series in my opinion.

If they made it CGI in the near future it would lose its edge since it would be hard to implement CGI animation while keeping the gritty atmosphere of the series. Things would look too perfect in a sense.
exactly! Rough characters, Rough animation, and CGI is just too smooth to handle that. Besides--people think im crazy--but I prefer the rougher, hand-draw and watercolored animation to the newer computer-enhanced animation. Now just CGI, like those Disney movies they release on DVD and remaster...they totally destroyed them! The animation shows how classic the show/ movie is. And Berserk is definately classic.
:wink:
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

evilester_me wrote:exactly! Rough characters, Rough animation, and CGI is just too smooth to handle that. Besides--people think im crazy--but I prefer the rougher, hand-draw and watercolored animation to the newer computer-enhanced animation. Now just CGI, like those Disney movies they release on DVD and remaster...they totally destroyed them! The animation shows how classic the show/ movie is. And Berserk is definately classic.
I agree, I enjoy the rough original cell animation far more than the new computer made crap. And is it just me, or does it seem that most new anime using CG just does not have the story or character the old stuff had.