BERSERK-the black swordsman fan movie

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

LedProd
imanewbie

BERSERK-the black swordsman fan movie

Post by LedProd »

Hi everybody! My name is Francesco from Italy. I write here because I would like to share with you my latest work. I am a great fan of Berserk and my hobby is cinema and cosplay so I've decided to put my efforts in it, with some friends of mine.Here we are, after 5 months of work we finally realized a fan movie inspired to this great manga. I hope you enjoy it and let me know your impressions^^

This is the cover:

And this is the movie (it has also english subtitles):
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=tZy_ZQsoaOk

Enjoy it!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: BERSERK-the black swordsman fan movie

Post by Istvan »

Um, not bad, and it's clear you put a lot of work into this, but the dialogue seemed too cheesy for something Guts would say.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I actually liked this, but like istvan said the dialogue is kinda cheesy dude. Really though, the only problem I had with it was the actor playing gutts he seems to scrawny. It was a good work though make more.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

AWESOME!
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, that wasn't half bad, good work! Aside from what's already been said, I would also add that Gatts shouldn't struggle with his sword so much. I know he was supposed to be hurt or whatever in this scene, but Gatts can swing his sword around as if it were as light as a katana. He can strike with lightening quickness, and even chain such attacks into combos. Anyway, that was still better than I was expecting. Just imagine if it had Hollywood level CG work and a bigger actor playing Gatts. Heh, maybe a live-action movie wouldn't be so bad, who knows?
LedProd
imanewbie

Post by LedProd »

I thank you for your impressions and I'm glad that you liked it.
Of course this is not Hollywood! I'm just a guy who likes Berserk and I tell you one thing that maybe you don't know: our budget was ZERO. We just spent few money for latex and fake blood and I am not an actor but a cosplayer, so all the armour was made by me, all selfmade.
I also want to explain you the meaning of the dialogue into the dream: as you know Gats was very egoistic because he left Caska alone when she needed help especially from Gats, so he is dreaming Caska saying that things because these are the things he would like to hear from her. Because he is hurt and he needs to hear that things.
Anyway thanks for your impressions and if you have doubt I am here to explain^^

Here I put 2 backstages, explaining also our work:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMZGleThUw

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xGtq7Xi ... re=related
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

That was fucking awesome. The wheels with guys on them were really well done. And I really liked the few shots where the camera was mounted on the dragonslayer, those were really dynamic.
Faienel
imanewbie

Post by Faienel »

Impressive, thats sure is a lot of work.
but this kinda brings back some memories from back at DP, where we had a thread about which actor could be a possible Berserk Character.

But the big question for me was always: Eastern or Western Movie Production? I don't want char. flying around in bad CG works, nor did i want them to be Americanized. (is that a word? ^^)

But again, nice work. You sure put a lot of faith in it.
hmmm...
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Molto impressionante.

Maybe I would've sped up the sword slashing movements so they felt more natural, but I'm just being picky. Great work!
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
travla
imanewbie

Post by travla »

it was really amazing but it had some things that i didn't like. like Aetherfukz said the camera is dynamic and it's cool but i dont see that kind of camera work for berserk, neither do i see it from the monsters perspective.the camera should be behing guts or far enough to encompass him and the enemies he is slaying but that's me.

as for the actors for a berserk flick, i would hate to see hollywood actors in it. just check the actors theyre using for the upcoming dragonball live action movie and see how they fucked it up. neways keep up the great work and i hope to see more from you
Last edited by travla on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

Very nice work dude.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I was definitely impressed with the undead on the wheels. I mean it's that kind of obvious CG, but it was still pretty damn cool, especially for something that was done with no money. I mean, how'd you pull that off without paying for it?
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Pretty good.

The only downfall it's the already mentioned dialog. Guts lines are too introspective. Guts is much more a direct person without pleasantries.
know he was supposed to be hurt or whatever in this scene, but Gatts can swing his sword around as if it were as light as a katana.
Not quite starnum. There are scenes were guts have some difficulty waving the DS, where he has to rely on the weight of the sword to attack.
as for the actors for a berserk flick, i would hate to see hollywood actors in it. just check the actors theyre using for the upcoming dragonball live action movie and see how they fucked it up. neways keep up the great work and i hope to see more from you
It's a 20th century Fox movie, they would fucked it up eventually. Also DB movie can go awol for all i care. It's one of those titles you can't just make a live action. It's impossible to work out, without looking silly (there is already one chinese adaption, ffs, which is for the lack of better word...awful).
But the big question for me was always: Eastern or Western Movie Production? I don't want char. flying around in bad CG works, nor did i want them to be Americanized. (is that a word? ^^)

But again, nice work. You sure put a lot of faith in it.
It's two different things. Production and Direction, that is. West can pull much more money for movie production than the East can. Take per example 20th century boys which was one of latest the biggest asian productions (a cast of 300 people) and had a roughly 56 million dollar budget. In terms of directing, it's another thing. Although there isn't much eastern directors that i knew of capable of doing this.
Nor will you see guys flying nor will you see "americanized", since pretty much the berserk is set in a world similar to a europe dark ages (Robert E. Howard's Conan and Verhoeven's "Flesh+Blood" are some of Miura's influences in making Berserk.), so there's no real danger like in other anime LA adaptations.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Starnum wrote: Just imagine if it had Hollywood level CG work and a bigger actor playing Gatts. Heh, maybe a live-action movie wouldn't be so bad, who knows?
Yeah I thought that at first too, but think about it, this is Hollywood we're talking about. They fuck up every damn thing they touch for god's sake. If Miura were to right the script, pick the actors, and direct the whole movie, it could have some hope. So I don't see that happening, because Hollywood thinks their shit doesn't stink and they want complete control over every single detail. 'Oh no we don't need the author to help us on this, we passed highschool we can do anything!' :stupid:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I'll always be skeptical of any anime to movie idea, but still... Ironman was pretty awesome, after all. I don't think Hollywood ruins everything they touch, just mostly everything.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Fuckin' badass.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
zXen
imanewbie

Post by zXen »

Man, that has got to be the best fan made movie I have ever seen, far surpassed my expectations when I read this post. Double thumbs up here, keep up the good work, you definatly have talent.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Wow. Ive been sleeping on the berserk forum for faaaaar to long.

That was fantastic. Im honestly very impressed.

Did you use final cut?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

Simply fantastic. It great you had the motivation and skills to pull this off. This was a great gift to the Berserk fandoms, good job! :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. That's definitely the best fan made movie I've ever seen.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

To tell the truth when I saw the title to this post I thought to myself, "I really feel sorry for this guy." but you really pulled it off dude. Your a first post gold winner.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was getting my flamethrower ready and everything, but then I actually watched the video and was fairly impressed.
travla
imanewbie

Post by travla »

the woman playing caska was hot as hell
Last edited by travla on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

fujinsan wrote:To tell the truth when I saw the title to this post I thought to myself, "I really feel sorry for this guy." but you really pulled it off dude. Your a first post gold winner.
Yeah, felt the same way. And the movie is great!
Last berserk fan movie I saw was from that guy "Fragatsu" on youtube (wich has a video of this movie we're talking about.... ??), that had nice cosplays but poor action. this one is way better! (the dialog was a bit OOC, but it didn't annoy me at all)
by the way, why didn't you guys put all the videos related in one account? Each person on the equip has different videos about the production n etc.

Congrats n hope to watch more from you! :D
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

That was awesome. Best bits for me were the shots of Gatts with limbs flying around him. Just like in the manga! :D