Berserk 297 - The Blind Giant God

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Berserk 297 - The Blind Giant God

Post by FightClub »

Istvan wrote:I think it was the same post where he mentioned that he was thinking about cosplaying as Slann, actually. Which also, admitedly, raised some serious questions about him.
I'm in pain, from all the laughing.

IT'S OLD HERALD, he's got a MANGINA.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yes yes, I took the joke too far, I'm sorry, and I mean it. Just in my real life Japanese people really piss me off here in Canada. The berserk bedspread is a tapestry now anyways, the bedspread idea was stupid. Man, I wish I was high when I said all this stupid shit :pwned:

But there's still more cushion for the pushing 8)
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Referring to the video Fightclub posted.*

What the fug was that? :?
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Starnum wrote:*Referring to the video Fightclub posted.*

What the fug was that? :?
A tribute to Old Herald, it's called old greg, he's a scaley manfish with a mangina, and enjoys doing water colors, and drinking bailey's from a shoe. British people's idea of humor, apparently.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I caught all that, heh. It's on BBC? I figured it was British.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I caught all that, heh. It's on BBC? I figured it was British.
Not a fuckin' clue man, first time I saw it was on youtube. I would assume so, however.
tim
imanewbie

Post by tim »

its from the "mighty boosh", its on BBCthree
Faienel
imanewbie

Post by Faienel »

don't know what this has to do with Berserk, but i am not in touch with the forum anyway.

Still, i liked that Chapter. Still, it's been a while while it's been released, can't imagine what happen in the next chapter.
Miura is taking his time, so all i know is: It will be awesome! :D
hmmm...
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

Faienel wrote:don't know what this has to do with Berserk, but i am not in touch with the forum anyway.

Still, i liked that Chapter. Still, it's been a while while it's been released, can't imagine what happen in the next chapter.
Miura is taking his time, so all i know is: It will be awesome! :D
well, that's what we all hope, but taking too much time doesn't necessarily mean he's working hard on it, or that it will be good. we never know, maybe he's taking a rest or something (he's like a vampire, have you read the interview? :o )... I'd appreciate if he blessed us with 3 chapters like he did on March :D
I also hope it doesn't take too long for us to see Guts and co. again ( but I know it wil ...)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I bet you Miura's hand is broken or something from his perfectionism and he's gonna have to take like a year off to recover. Though, no doubt he's got the whole darn thing written already, like a movie script or something. I wish I could get a look at that, but then I wouldn't be uber excited every ... few months :P. Good thing there's always something else to do in life. I still find myself wondering, Berserk isn't done yet?
Last edited by The Herald on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I bet you Miura's hand is broken or something from his perfectionism and he's gonna have to take like a year off to recover.
Don't say that!! Some things just aren't funny.
I still finding myself wondering, Berserk isn't done yet?
Berserk ending would be both happy and sad. Happy because I expect it to be amazing, and I'm really looking forward to it....but sad because that would mean no more Berserk.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Also a relief, because that nagging fear that it won't end before we're all dead of old age would finally be put to rest.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, truth to all three points. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

It's just that it takes so long for Berserk to come out it's almost worth it to be finished already so the anticipation can dissipate. With series that take much less time I find myself wondering about a sequel, but after all this waiting Berserk has a different effect on me. And I've only been reading it for a few years, what about the guys who have been reading it since the early 90s? Berserk is definately well written and legendary, but it only takes a couple of days of hard reading to get through the 30 odd books. When you compare the amount of books to the amount of time it took to write and draw them, Berserk is kinda small. Then again, when you put it side by side to a manga like Ranma 1/2 that has just as many books, but less time, everyone aggrees on Berserk's superiority. Haha, I basically just negated my argument there, but I'm still tired of waiting.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

yeah, but even so I don't expect it to be finished soon. even with all the fear of it not ending for some god-knows reason, yatayatayata
Miura might have a script or something in case something happens, but he himself said he writes as things come to mind and these things can change everything on. Maybe he didn't decide yet what to do about them in the end (kill everyone or not, for exemple).

But as Guts said to Casca on vol 9 (I guess), "If you only think about death, the God of Death will hear and stay with you" (or something along these lines), let's stop talking about bad things before they get to happen :o
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I seriously doubt he hasn't already planned out the ending, in his mind at least. You can clearly tell from his writing that he plans things long in advance. I imagine he just fills in the rest as he goes along, that's what most writers (myself included) do.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starnum wrote:I seriously doubt he hasn't already planned out the ending, in his mind at least. You can clearly tell from his writing that he plans things long in advance. I imagine he just fills in the rest as he goes along, that's what most writers (myself included) do.
You can really tell he does that from the Berserk Prototype. The story of Guts having endured a lot of pain and becoming the ultimate badass was there from the start, but less important details like, what he saw that really flipped his life upside down, were changed, showing how those smaller details come much later when thinking up the story. In the prototype, the thing that really screwed him up was seeing his mom getting killed in front of him, in the manga, Casca getting raped.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

things he would just add along the way would be the reasons for why certain things happen, like the balls and secret meetings and whatnot. you can tell miura is a good writer because you can almost feel a serendipitous tone to some of his writings
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

War Machine wrote:
Starnum wrote:I seriously doubt he hasn't already planned out the ending, in his mind at least. You can clearly tell from his writing that he plans things long in advance. I imagine he just fills in the rest as he goes along, that's what most writers (myself included) do.
You can really tell he does that from the Berserk Prototype. The story of Guts having endured a lot of pain and becoming the ultimate badass was there from the start, but less important details like, what he saw that really flipped his life upside down, were changed, showing how those smaller details come much later when thinking up the story. In the prototype, the thing that really screwed him up was seeing his mom getting killed in front of him, in the manga, Casca getting raped.
Mom getting killed? What prototype are you referring to?

The prototype at the end of one of the DH Tanks (Volume 14 or 15) was the only that I recall. This was the prototype where he had worn a patch, and saved some girl from getting eaten by some Count apostle-like figure. Which showed Guts sporting a big brand on his chest. No mention about anyone's mom.......
Let's put a smile on that face...............
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Lara Skadi wrote:I'd appreciate if he blessed us with 3 chapters like he did on March :D
Yeah it's like the cosmos aligned and shined down on me. That was my birth month, nice present to get from a mnageka hehe. I wish he would pay attention to everyone's birthdays though. :(
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

fujinsan wrote:
Lara Skadi wrote:I'd appreciate if he blessed us with 3 chapters like he did on March :D
Yeah it's like the cosmos aligned and shined down on me. That was my birth month, nice present to get from a mnageka hehe. I wish he would pay attention to everyone's birthdays though. :(
My Birthday is in two weeks!
Let's put a smile on that face...............
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

The Prince wrote:Mom getting killed? What prototype are you referring to?

The prototype at the end of one of the DH Tanks (Volume 14 or 15) was the only that I recall. This was the prototype where he had worn a patch, and saved some girl from getting eaten by some Count apostle-like figure. Which showed Guts sporting a big brand on his chest. No mention about anyone's mom.......
Read it again-- Guts mentions that the Apostles killed and ate his mother in front of him.

What was really interesting about the Prototype in my opinion was less the changes to the plot (although it's nice that the generic evil god from the Prototype was replaced with the much more interesting God Hand) and more the little character changes to Guts himself. IIRC in the Prototype he was always grinning and slicking his hair back whenever he noticed any female character aged 8 to 80 looking at him, very different from the silent, sullen figure he later became. (-:
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The Guts we know and love does (or did) have some of the same characteristics to the Guts in the prototype. Maybe he isn't as blatently sexual, but within situations where he is socially comfortable (like when he was with his troops in camp during the golden age) he totally acts like that. Though, the character arc of Guts in Berserk is amazing, he's one of the most dynamic characters I've seen in literature. Hell, I know living people who are less dynamic than he is, and he's not even real. I've always felt that Griffith could have been the intended main character when Miura was designing Berserk in the mid 80s, but he couldn't get around the character arc. Events happen to Griffith, but he doesn't seem to show any emotion, or even a reaction to them in a human way. He's like a robot really. Guts tries not to show emotion, but even within his stone-like visage that he adapts so many times to hide his humanity you can still see what he's feeling beneath. I personally enjoy when he totally breaks down, which is tens times as satisfying as with any other character in Berserk.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

According to Ritual Scan Forge, a french page that provides raw for all kinds of manga, the next Berserk chapter will be released in the 21# issue of Young Animal with the magazine cxover and a color page, and it will include 2 chapters. And an alternative cover for volume 33(?)

This is not official by any means but that page´s early info usually checks out.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Deathbringer wrote:According to Ritual Scan Forge, a french page that provides raw for all kinds of manga, the next Berserk chapter will be released in the 21# issue of Young Animal with the magazine cxover and a color page, and it will include 2 chapters. And an alternative cover for volume 33(?)

This is not official by any means but that page´s early info usually checks out.
Here's hoping it checks out in this case, then. I am so looking forward to the wait being over.