coolest type of Berserk Video Game?

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

What would be the Genre for a Berserk Video Game

Poll ended at Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:16 am

Action Arcade Fighting
10%
Final Fantasy Style RPG
14%
Action Adventure
67%
FPS
10%

Total votes: 21

keither8
imanewbie

coolest type of Berserk Video Game?

Post by keither8 »

It would be cool for a lot of different types of berserk video games.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Re: coolest type of Berserk Video Game?

Post by fujinsan »

I think a final fantasy style berserk game would be the shit. Behelets could be like a limit break or summon maybe a main item?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

fujinsan wrote:I think a final fantasy style berserk game would be the shit. Behelets could be like a limit break or summon maybe a main item?
Sure, let me just whistle my pal Zodd here so he will do some cool animation for me. Nope, wouldn't work.

I still think something like the Chapter of the Holy Crusade (or what is the title again, the PS2 game?) is the best rendation of Berserk. Youtube videos of it look awesome, the fight with Zood on the Hill of Swords, damn fine looking. They should just release that damned thing in europe/us!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The problem with a Berserk video game is that the series isn't well known enough to the idiots that encompass the gaming world for it to be made into a game that's up to Miura's standards. Sure they could pull off some crap kill a million things at once shit like Dynasty Warriors, but none of us would like to see that happen. And you know if they tried to make a Berserk game for the stupid American market, which 60% of is generic sports games, they would go for that stupid Dynasty Warriors style because it would kind of work. The best thing for a Berserk video game would be to not make one, not until they air the anime on TV or something. Now that's something I'd rather discuss.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:The problem with a Berserk video game is that the series isn't well known enough to the idiots that encompass the gaming world for it to be made into a game that's up to Miura's standards. Sure they could pull off some crap kill a million things at once shit like Dynasty Warriors, but none of us would like to see that happen. And you know if they tried to make a Berserk game for the stupid American market, which 60% of is generic sports games, they would go for that stupid Dynasty Warriors style because it would kind of work. The best thing for a Berserk video game would be to not make one, not until they air the anime on TV or something. Now that's something I'd rather discuss.
The idea of airing Berserk on U.S. TV actually scares me a lot more than the possibility of a crappy game version. I mean, have you seen what they do to most of those poor shows? There's a reason I almost never watch any anime on TV, and seeing something like that happen to Berserk would be tragic.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:The problem with a Berserk video game is that the series isn't well known enough to the idiots that encompass the gaming world for it to be made into a game that's up to Miura's standards. Sure they could pull off some crap kill a million things at once shit like Dynasty Warriors, but none of us would like to see that happen. And you know if they tried to make a Berserk game for the stupid American market, which 60% of is generic sports games, they would go for that stupid Dynasty Warriors style because it would kind of work. The best thing for a Berserk video game would be to not make one, not until they air the anime on TV or something. Now that's something I'd rather discuss.
I've heard only the highest of praise for the Berserk PS2 game, where you play basically from the first to second eclipse IIRC. Though that game never made it out of japan, I'd still kill to get my hands on it. Youtube videos about it look a-awesome.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Yeah, I really wish they'd release the game here. If we don't get it by the time Dark Horse releases all the volumes the game centers on, then I say we aren't getting it. Especially due to the fact the PS2's life is pretty much over by Sony's standards.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Don't get me wrong, I really wish that they'd put the Berserk game out in english, but the fact of the matter is that a bad video game would only make people think that Berserk was another one of those silly slasher animes. I've been told by someone that Berserk isn't worth reading because Guts' sword is too big, that he can't take it seriously. Now just imagine that idealism in regards to Berserk on a grandios scale.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Godhand damnit people! This game is still accessible. Just get a copy off of ebay. http://video-games.search.ebay.com/bers ... catZQ2d100

Get a mod chicp or swap magic. I shelled out about $200 for the branded edition of this game. And played through it only using a guide, from gamefaqs, to figure out what the story was (theres an apostle type guy you fight whos not in the manga).

The game plays from about the part where Gats sets out right after the eclipse till the part where he fights that crystal dragon guy. All in all the game is your typical hack and slash game. Not as stylish as Devil May Cry, not as violent as God of War, but very similar in gameplay.

As for the coolest type of game, you'd have to come up with an idea of what you want your game to be. The whole story from start to finish? How accurate to the manga? Type of play. I mean it would be nice to do mission type events. For example killing Count Julius. You'd have to sneak into the castle, metal gear or assassins creed type, then kill him, watch the cinematic of you killing Adonis, as I think that wouldn't fly to let a player do that, and then escape from the castle without being caught.

Quick time events like the water fight with Griffith, or sex scene with Caska. And obviously plenty of hacking and slashing when battles are re-enacted. Having a duel with General Boscone would be crazy awesome. Just keep the player going till they're low on health, have the sword break, Zodd throw him a little present and then quick time the horse head chopper offer. :D
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

lon3vvolf wrote:As for the coolest type of game, you'd have to come up with an idea of what you want your game to be. The whole story from start to finish? How accurate to the manga? Type of play. I mean it would be nice to do mission type events. For example killing Count Julius. You'd have to sneak into the castle, metal gear or assassins creed type, then kill him, watch the cinematic of you killing Adonis, as I think that wouldn't fly to let a player do that, and then escape from the castle without being caught.

Quick time events like the water fight with Griffith, or sex scene with Caska. And obviously plenty of hacking and slashing when battles are re-enacted. Having a duel with General Boscone would be crazy awesome. Just keep the player going till they're low on health, have the sword break, Zodd throw him a little present and then quick time the horse head chopper offer. :D
So basically, Shenmue with another setting?

Goddamn, I wish for Shenmue III.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Aetherfukz wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:As for the coolest type of game, you'd have to come up with an idea of what you want your game to be. The whole story from start to finish? How accurate to the manga? Type of play. I mean it would be nice to do mission type events. For example killing Count Julius. You'd have to sneak into the castle, metal gear or assassins creed type, then kill him, watch the cinematic of you killing Adonis, as I think that wouldn't fly to let a player do that, and then escape from the castle without being caught.

So basically, Shenmue with another setting?

Goddamn, I wish for Shenmue III.
Dude, don't tease. I still dream of seeing Shenmue III coming out for the PS3.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Draug
imanewbie

Post by Draug »

I think it will be interesting to see Berserk in a Zelda like genre, my idea is keeping the amazing gameplay of a hack'n slash game + the interactivness and quest elements of a rpg, thus the storyline will remain a major element in the gameplay rather than a distracting sequence of cutscenes.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

fujinsan wrote:I think a final fantasy style berserk game would be the shit. Behelets could be like a limit break or summon maybe a main item?
Lol! I must've been sober when I posted that hahaha! God of war meats mgs I guess would work in a way though.
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

I played the PS2 game with a swap disk. It was one of the best decisions I ever made to buy that game and the swap disk. It was everything and more that I would expect from a game adaptation of Berserk. Seriously, everyone needs to go out, buy the import, get a swap disk (or mod your PS2), and PLAY THIS GAME! It is exactly the right difficulty, the right amount of hack 'em slash 'em, and the right amount of missions. The cut scenes were beautifully done and very true to the manga (accept that one throw in villain). There's enough English in the main screen to get by, and if you really want to know what people are saying, read a walkthrough. There are plenty available online.

Now, everyone, go out and do it!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, there's already a Berserk game out there, and it kicks ass, so go play it! I can't wait for a PS3 Berserk game though. :)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I think if Berserk were done in a style like Resident Evil 4 with the interactive cut scenes that would be good. Does anyone know if there is an emulator out for the dreamcast Berserk game? That one actually came out in English.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

The Herald wrote:I think if Berserk were done in a style like Resident Evil 4 with the interactive cut scenes that would be good. Does anyone know if there is an emulator out for the dreamcast Berserk game? That one actually came out in English.
You dont want to play that one....from what I heard they made Zodd and Griffith into one character.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

The PS2 version was really well done. Course I couldn't understand a lick of the moonspeak dialogue, but I knew what was going on anyway. A new game with the ps2 system and improved graphics would be pretty dreamy as well. I was mostly impressed with the sword combat and how enemies would be dismembered according to the angle of your sword swing. Hard to beat that (oh and as you progressively kill enemies, you get more and more bloody, in their blood color, sword included)
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:I think if Berserk were done in a style like Resident Evil 4 with the interactive cut scenes that would be good. Does anyone know if there is an emulator out for the dreamcast Berserk game? That one actually came out in English.
Actually, that very same Dreamcast game you're speaking of, has those type of cutscenes. You can thank Shenmue for those.

You know, I had that game for the Dreamcast, and I traded it for House of the Dead 2. Yeah... I didn't even know what Berserk was at the moment, I thought it was only that one game so I didn't think twice about it. Oh well. At least I played it all and have a burned copy so I can still enjoy it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Guts Attacks in the PS2 game too. I would've liked it if Gatts had more control and faster swings though. I mean I know they want to convey the weight of the sword, but heh, we all know it doesn't really effect Gatts as much, and he can swing that thing hella fast. Minor gripe I suppose, the combat was still a lot of fun, and the weight of the sword should be conveyed at least a bit I suppose. He can definitely use it to his advantage, that's for sure. I never played the one on Dreamcast, but I wouldn't mind trying it out if I ever got the chance.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I loved one part in the game...
[spoiler]Near the end when you get the armor and go ape-shit crazy. When he moves in that animalistic manner... its just perfectly animated[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hell yeah, also one of my favorite parts. :D
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

DrPepperPro wrote:
You dont want to play that one....from what I heard they made Zodd and Griffith into one character.
Omigosh!

Anyway damn I need to get the PS2 game... gonna have to check ebay for it some time. What exactly is the Swap Disk you guys use? Just something to put into the PS2 or do you have to open up to the circuits and do something to them, like you had to do with the dreamcast if you wanted to play import games?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Aetherfukz wrote:
DrPepperPro wrote:
Omigosh!

Anyway damn I need to get the PS2 game... gonna have to check ebay for it some time. What exactly is the Swap Disk you guys use? Just something to put into the PS2 or do you have to open up to the circuits and do something to them, like you had to do with the dreamcast if you wanted to play import games?
Yeah, pretty much, you just load the Swap Magic disc and up comes a screen to change discs to the one you want to play. You don't need much for it to work, just a couple of small plastic pieces that you put on the PS2 so the it doesn't register that you opened the disc tray when you change discs.

If you only plan to use it for a couple of games, then swap magic is ok, but changing discs becomes a chore after a while, so if you're planning to play a lot of burned games, you should really think about using a mod-chip (best one for the PS2 is the DMS4 SE).

Also, that crap about making Zodd and Griffith into one character is a fucking lie, the Dreamcast game is basically an extra chapter from when Guts was taking Caska along with him with Puck.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

War Machine wrote: Also, that crap about making Zodd and Griffith into one character is a fucking lie, the Dreamcast game is basically an extra chapter from when Guts was taking Caska along with him with Puck.
Oh I guess I heard wrong then, sorry about that.