Did I miss something?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

newbified
n00b Smasher

Did I miss something?

Post by newbified »

I'm sure most of you know by now know that Gary Gygax passed away last week, but I haven't seen any threads to discuss the fact.

Am I the only one who thinks this was a terrible loss? Or am I just an idiot for making this post?

Meh.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit ... index.html
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Re: Did I miss something?

Post by Tempest »

I don't get the feeling that D and D is too big around these parts. It certainly does suck hearing about Gygax though. I only played a few games with my tabletop friends, and while it was fun, it always ended up like this:

ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Who the fuck is Gary Gygax?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Who the fuck is Gary Gygax?
Not only is it the first sentence in the article newbified posted, it's the title of the thing.

And I won't make it any easier by telling you.
ImageImage
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, as well as co-founder of Tactical Studies Rules.

You could say he and Dave Arneson helped shape the modern RPG today with the elements they implemented in D&D back in the mid 70's.

Not to mention he also helped create Gen-Con. Huge convention for hobbyist gamers.

And Tempest is faster than I am, and I ended up explaining it anyway...
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:
Femto wrote:Who the fuck is Gary Gygax?
Not only is it the first sentence in the article newbified posted, it's the title of the thing.

And I won't make it any easier by telling you.
Well, I obviously didn't follow the link.

I think the guy that created the Rocketeer passed away recently too.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Well it sucks that the guy passed away but no one lives for ever right? I'm sure theres other nerds out there who will make D&D live on.

BTW, the audio from that clip is from a ps2 game called Summoner:

I'll admit thought... I play *cough* Warhammer.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

It is too bad Death rolled a 20...

ok, wont do anymore D&D jokes. It is too bad that he passed away, basically created the whole western role playing standard. And now a light treat to a great comic strip about him...

MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

Oddly enough, I started playing again a couple of months ago for the first time since 1982. The man created a legacy but he ran out of hit points. We all will someday.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't get all this "terrible blow" business. He died. We can respect his achievement. But he wasn't even running any D&D related stuff anymore. And WOTC will murder D&D anyway with 4E. There is nothing he could have changed about that, it was long out of his hands. His death is no more tragic that any of the millions of others that happen every day. But for his life's achievement he deserves respect.

People die when they get old. He shouldn't have tried powergaming his age to get better mental stats... That fort save vs. death is really hard with a negative con modifier.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I’m a long-time role-player, so I definitely appreciate the legacy that Gygax helped create. May he R.I.P.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

lon3vvolf wrote: BTW, the audio from that clip is from a ps2 game called Summoner
Actually the audio clip is from a comedy group called the Dead Alewives club. Summoner was just the first among many to give a video animation to it.
ImageImage
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Tempest wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote: BTW, the audio from that clip is from a ps2 game called Summoner
Actually the audio clip is from a comedy group called the Dead Alewives club. Summoner was just the first among many to give a video animation to it.
I stand corrected. I didn't put too many points into my intelligence. Mostly strength and dexterity =P
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

lon3vvolf wrote: I didn't put too many points into my intelligence. Mostly strength and dexterity =P
ImageImage
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I think this situation calls for a commemorative plate.

Or at least a commemorative half-plate! Image
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:I’m a long-time role-player, so I definitely appreciate the legacy that Gygax helped create. May he R.I.P.
I realize Dungeons and Dragons spawned a lot of the original RPG's and dungeon crawlers to come out for the early home computer systems. But some of you are talking about playing as early as 1983, were there personal home computers systems back then? I realized that the concept of D&D was spawned off the original cartoon, I assume Gary Gygax played a major role in coming up with the D&D universe to be used as the background for the cartoon. Its interesting to think that this cartoon went on to inspire the RPG genre of computer gameplay from Zelda to WOW.

ImageImageImage
Let's put a smile on that face...............
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

The cartoon had nothing to do with the creation of D&D, and there is no single official D&D universe/setting either. D&D itself is just a rule-set, there are many different campaign settings that have been used with D&D. I assume you are talking about the Forgotten Realms, one of the most popular campaign settings, made even moreso by the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series.

The cartoon was a collaboration between Gary Gygax's company TSR and Marvel Productions, based on D&D, made a few years after D&D became popular.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to take part in any pen and paper RPGs, although I would have loved to. Instead I came to love D&D through numerous computer RPGs, my favourites being Planescape: Torment and the Baldur's Gate series. It's amazing to think of how much hard work must have been put into D&D, and how far its popularity has come since then. R.I.P. Gary Gygax.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

MadDogMike wrote:The cartoon had nothing to do with the creation of D&D, and there is no single official D&D universe/setting either. D&D itself is just a rule-set, there are many different campaign settings that have been used with D&D. I assume you are talking about the Forgotten Realms, one of the most popular campaign settings, made even moreso by the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series.

The cartoon was a collaboration between Gary Gygax's company TSR and Marvel Productions, based on D&D, made a few years after D&D became popular.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to take part in any pen and paper RPGs, although I would have loved to. Instead I came to love D&D through numerous computer RPGs, my favourites being Planescape: Torment and the Baldur's Gate series. It's amazing to think of how much hard work must have been put into D&D, and how far its popularity has come since then. R.I.P. Gary Gygax.
STFU NOOB. The classic cartoon and its Tolkien type premise gave birth to idea of the RPG fantasy type framework. Its no coincidence the leader of the party was called the Dungeon Master! . :o

DUH.......Stick to next generation video game info, I'll handle the old-school stuff!

In an interesting note, I believe the Dungeon Master guy was the inspiration for the Yoda character in Star Wars

[spoiler]LOL at MadDogMike for taking this D&D Cartoon shit seriously..........[/spoiler]
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Your first two sentences made absolutely no sense at all to me, so I didn't know whether you were being serious or not. I just figured you were extremely confused. :P
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Dungeon Master wasn't the leader of the party. Hank was. Dungeon Master was just the little Yoda dude who was the prime force of Good in the cartoon's world setting. Venger was Evil and (I suppose) Tiamat was Chaos.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I remember a great episode in which the shield guy became dungeon master for a day.

I love that series. I wished there was a last episode done, but I think it got canceled or something. Last episode was when the evil guy followed the guys back home, and flew out of the roller coaster ride or something.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

How old does Prince think he is, anyway?

A man once said that it is wiser to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open mouth and remove all doubt.

If you MUST speak on these matters, at least don't embarrass yourself. Do the research. For Pete's sake, you have the internet at your fingertips. It isn't that hard. Here's a basic timeline for you ---> http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_History.asp Please note that the cartoon series came out on September 17, 1983 while the gaming began nearly a decade before that. There was quite an expanse of time in which we played with actual dice, pens and paper... and some of us still do. Oh the dungeons I have drawn, oh the places I have been...
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

MadDogMike wrote:Your first two sentences made absolutely no sense at all to me, so I didn't know whether you were being serious or not. I just figured you were extremely confused. :P
It doesn't really matter if he's serious or not, if he's just being an assmunch.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:I remember a great episode in which the shield guy became dungeon master for a day.

I love that series. I wished there was a last episode done, but I think it got canceled or something. Last episode was when the evil guy followed the guys back home, and flew out of the roller coaster ride or something.
That shit was AWESOME! Too bad it ended on such a cliffhanger......right up there with the Berserk anime ending IMO, as far as leaving its fans wanting more.

Also I recall an episode where Tiamat and Venger started fighting each other....don't recall ever finding out who won though.... :( I wonder which one was more powerful?

*BTW, anyone here remember the cartoon Thundarr? I so wanted to have his sunsword....Right up there with Excalibur, the Sword of Omens, and the Dragonslayer, as far as badass swords go IMO!

....Speaking of AWESOME, anyone else remember when the Sword of Omens flew off and fought Excalibur on its own cogniscance. That was a duel for the ages if I say so myself. :thumb:
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
MadDogMike wrote:Your first two sentences made absolutely no sense at all to me, so I didn't know whether you were being serious or not. I just figured you were extremely confused. :P
It doesn't really matter if he's serious or not, if he's just being an assmunch.
Did you just call me an assmunch? :shock: