Berserk 292 - Mist of Death

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk 292 - Mist of Death

Post by Istvan »

Arcandus wrote:
Depends how you define "disturbing", in my opinion. True, it's been awhile since something of quite that level, probably at least since Griffith was reborn. On the other hand, there were plenty of gruesome scenes of dismemberment and slaughter in the escape to the ship. So I wouldn't say that there's been no disturbing thing recently, frankly there have been (and will doubtless continue to be) lots.
Agreed, you know what I miss is some Epic battles, like the Battles Guts had with Zodd, it was really cool when Guts fought side by side with Zodd against the Emperor, when Guts said Fuck You to the emperor, but now is remembering me of Dragonball, that had something like 5 chapters just preparing for the fight, just to make you wait for it huahuaauhauh. But the incomming battle will be cool, ohhh it will :D
It's always so amusing that during battles people complain that everything is just fighting, and we need more plot development, then during plot development people whine that we need more battles.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Istvan wrote:It's always so amusing that during battles people complain that everything is just fighting, and we need more plot development, then during plot development people whine that we need more battles.
People complain that when there's too much action, it reads too quick, and when there's too much plot, it's boring. I'm quite happy with the pace the current storylines are going right now. We have so much character development that's happened over the last 10 chapters, and now, the Emperor is going to take a new form that's beyond his apostle form. Personally, I can't wait to see it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:
Istvan wrote:It's always so amusing that during battles people complain that everything is just fighting, and we need more plot development, then during plot development people whine that we need more battles.
People complain that when there's too much action, it reads too quick, and when there's too much plot, it's boring. I'm quite happy with the pace the current storylines are going right now. We have so much character development that's happened over the last 10 chapters, and now, the Emperor is going to take a new form that's beyond his apostle form. Personally, I can't wait to see it.
Me too.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Nice, I got to read 291 and 292 back to back. Thanks, E-G. You guys are gods.

Ugh..I'm really starting to get confused here, it's always the armor talk chapters which confuse me.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I personally like how Berserk goes fast and slow. My personal favorite scenes are when they're just hanging around, like in the camp or when they rented that room in Vritannis. Scenes like that just show how Berserk really is in a real world, not just fighting and epic speeches all the time. *cough LOTR cough*
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:I personally like how Berserk goes fast and slow. My personal favorite scenes are when they're just hanging around, like in the camp or when they rented that room in Vritannis. Scenes like that just show how Berserk really is in a real world, not just fighting and epic speeches all the time. *cough LOTR cough*
That criticism of LOTR only really applies to the movies, which had to cut out massive segments of the books in order to get everything to fit, and so it would be properly dramatic.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yes, well, if it were the books I wouldn't call them LOTR would I? The books actually deserve to be called by their full Lord of the Rings names. Though, if Berserk turned into a boring dribble like most of the books were, that would be a sad day indeed.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:Yes, well, if it were the books I wouldn't call them LOTR would I? The books actually deserve to be called by their full Lord of the Rings names. Though, if Berserk turned into a boring dribble like most of the books were, that would be a sad day indeed.
Too much singing.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:Yes, well, if it were the books I wouldn't call them LOTR would I? The books actually deserve to be called by their full Lord of the Rings names. Though, if Berserk turned into a boring dribble like most of the books were, that would be a sad day indeed.
Well I'd rather have them make a close-to-manga adaptation than change as much as was changed from the LOTR books to movies. Otherwise probably Judeou would have some sinister intentions at the stat, but would later change his mind about it (yes I mean you, Movie-Faramir!) and others like that. Although the special effect the army of the dead had would be kinda fitting for the battle at the second eclipse. :o
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Hmm, this discussion looks like it should be in the Berserk screenplay thread. I'll get back to the current manga here ... now where were we? Right, Kushans. I must have been half awake when I read the last chapter with the Emperor because I thought that Griffith killed him. This big break may be because Miura is planning a huge arc conclusion. Simultaneously Griffith will destroy the Emperor and his human behelit thing and become the most powerful thing seen this generation of God Hand members (who knows what Void has seen) and Casca will get her memory back. The Elf King may even be able to remove their brands, though probably not. I'm just curious what he looks like. My impression from reading Berserk through again is that he could easily be a man sized creature that was perfect in every way, except for a few quirks like what Puck has. And he'd be naked of course, but that's how it usually is. I wonder if he has a queen, that would be cool too, and answer a few questions.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Guts without brand would be like a Jedi without the Force :D
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:Hmm, this discussion looks like it should be in the Berserk screenplay thread. I'll get back to the current manga here ... now where were we? Right, Kushans. I must have been half awake when I read the last chapter with the Emperor because I thought that Griffith killed him. This big break may be because Miura is planning a huge arc conclusion. Simultaneously Griffith will destroy the Emperor and his human behelit thing and become the most powerful thing seen this generation of God Hand members (who knows what Void has seen) and Casca will get her memory back. The Elf King may even be able to remove their brands, though probably not. I'm just curious what he looks like. My impression from reading Berserk through again is that he could easily be a man sized creature that was perfect in every way, except for a few quirks like what Puck has. And he'd be naked of course, but that's how it usually is. I wonder if he has a queen, that would be cool too, and answer a few questions.
I have too much faith in Miura as an author to believe for one moment that they'll get rid of the brand in such a cheesy manner.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Doesn't the brand put Guts on the interstice of the human and spirit worlds? If it weren't for the brand, Guts would not have been able to sense apostles. It is also what puts him on the path to darkness. The brand is too significant to be done away with in such a cheesy manner, as Istvan said.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

You know, I never thought about that. I was just thinking about how the brand made demons follow him and try to eat him. Though, because of her weakened state I would like to see Caca's brand removed. Though, don't you think Guts has been immersed enough within the interstice that he would still be a part of it even if the brand were removed? In any case, I want to see Casca return to being the tough chick she used to be, and see Guts gain some weight. Man he's got no fat on him at all, and that's not good.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:You know, I never thought about that. I was just thinking about how the brand made demons follow him and try to eat him. Though, because of her weakened state I would like to see Caca's brand removed. Though, don't you think Guts has been immersed enough within the interstice that he would still be a part of it even if the brand were removed? In any case, I want to see Casca return to being the tough chick she used to be, and see Guts gain some weight. Man he's got no fat on him at all, and that's not good.
He hasn't had a noticable amount of fat since he was a child. The problem he's having now is that it appears his body is consuming his muscles, which is a big problem. You're right that the man desperately needs a break to recuperate, though.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well, every person has at least 5 to 10 % body fat, even if they do work out. But he was eating enough to maintain his physical exertion. Now he's got like 0% and then the muscles are being deteriorated too. It's kinda like with Christian Bale in El Maquinista.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Istvan wrote:You're right that the man desperately needs a break to recuperate, though.
In a manga like this, don't you think this is the closest thing to a break that Gatts is going to get? I mean, I do. I'm sure he'll be back to thrashing monster ass in no time. Until then, he's BEEN resting up. Should be good to go when the time comes. I mean, it's Gatts, the man practically invented the Guts skill. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

But he is really sick and needs to recover. He shouldn't be alive by normal standards from all of the stress he's put his body through. Especially at his size. It takes a lot of food to sustain a body like that. That's the main reason he's kept Serpico in the group.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Herald wrote:But he is really sick and needs to recover. He shouldn't be alive by normal standards from all of the stress he's put his body through. Especially at his size. It takes a lot of food to sustain a body like that. That's the main reason he's kept Serpico in the group.

You mean Serpico's sole in the group is to cook for Gatts?
You are probably right, I mean, who cares if he is an expert strategist with an encyclopedic knowledge of all the political and military factions of the berserk world?
He can fly?............so what? lots of people could fly in the medieval era, that doesn't make him worthy of belonging to the band of the black swordsman.
The one thing that keeps Gatts from expelling Serpico from his band is that he can cook.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Wo0oT
imanewbie

Post by Wo0oT »

But he is really sick and needs to recover. He shouldn't be alive by normal standards from all of the stress he's put his body through. Especially at his size. It takes a lot of food to sustain a body like that. That's the main reason he's kept Serpico in the group.
The one thing that keeps Gatts from expelling Serpico from his band is that he can cook.
ah me dummy,... and i thought herald meant that serpicos destiny is to be eaten by guts when there's no other meat around ;)

@evil Genius
It may be a bit late, but i really have to thank you for your high quality scanlations which you give to us when a new chapter is released.
Berserk is the only manga where i don't spoil myself with raws and speedscans of other groups, 'cause this would ruin the work you put into it. Thanks a lot.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:But he is really sick and needs to recover. He shouldn't be alive by normal standards from all of the stress he's put his body through. Especially at his size. It takes a lot of food to sustain a body like that. That's the main reason he's kept Serpico in the group.
I don't really think Guts problems have anything to do with his diet. Rather, it's that he got hideously wounded, then before he was completely healed he got hideously wounded again. His body is starting to break down, and its also been a while (presumably) since he could exercise properly. No wonder he looks bad.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Exercise? He physically exerts himself all the time, especially with the berserker armor. I do agree that it's probably not his diet that has left him all weakened but the strain of being wounded twice, all while pushing his body to the limit.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
I don't really think Guts problems have anything to do with his diet. Rather, it's that he got hideously wounded, then before he was completely healed he got hideously wounded again. His body is starting to break down, and its also been a while (presumably) since he could exercise properly. No wonder he looks bad.
He needs to get an L.A Fitness membership. Or just bang Farnese a couple times a day.

To be honest....just walking around in that armor would be exercise enough.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

[quote="The Prince
He needs to get an L.A Fitness membership.[/quote]
I think he would scare off people with his 1 missing hand, and swinging heights heavier than most people... Maybe a Golds membership is due lol. Well anything but a Planet Fitness gym! They have a 'no grunting, no judging' rule which you can get kicked out for. WTF no grunting? Not a gym!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Serpico is all of that good fighting and strategy stuff and more, but a big reason Guts likes him around is that he can cook. Guts isn't the most keen and if he can get good cooking out of Serpico by letting his sister tag along, then by all means he will. If you think about it, after a few fights they've become buxom buddies, but Guts did first like him because of the food factor.

I contend again that Rolos take a chill pill 8)