Engines of Creation 2.0 download help

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Engines of Creation 2.0 download help

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Hi everyone

I have read book called Engines of Creation by Eric Drexler. Best of all, it's completely free adn you can read it here . It is pretty cool popular science book about nano technology and stuff. It was written in 1986 so it is very old, but the newer 2.0 version was written this year and USA residents can download it here . I don't live in USA, however, so can anyone upload the book somewhere?
Last edited by 42ndEndOfTheWorld on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Engines of Creation 2.0 download help

Post by War Machine »

Unfortunately I can't help you by downloading it, but have you tried using a proxy server? There are a lot of free US proxy servers that you can use to download that book. They're usually a bit slow, but I don't think the book will be that big (70MB tops, maybe). I think that might be the quickest solution.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Yeah I tried two proxies, but they didn't work, it says forbidden for this server or something like that. Thanks for the advice, though.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Hm, it's not really anything to download, but the book is archived in html links. I can access it, even though I'm not in the US. It's not an pdf or anything. I've saved the chapters with Firefox, put in all in a rar file, and uploaded it on a free service. Anyway, I hope this helps you out. I haven't got the time to read it, but my interest in science fiction is waning to warrant a quick browse. Here's the link:

http://www.rarhost.com/download-m32bnb.html

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

The thing that you put for download is 1.0 version of the book , published in 1986. What I am looking for is 2.0 version, completely rewritten, published in 2007.

thanks, anyway.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Oh, sorry. Didn't notice the second link, and thought the 'here' was referring to the first link. God, I feel like an idiot. Yeah, I guess you'll have to try to google it for a while or something until you could find an alternate link, or if one of the US kind souls could sign up and download it for you.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I saw an article that said they're getting copies to non-US residents who write in and request one. Try sending an email.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Requires a login/password to download it. I loathe signing up for stuff so if you want it you can either wait for someone else to go through the trouble or PM yours and I'll post it.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

unfortunately, you can't even sign up if you are not in America.

cancel everything

I had send them e-mail asking for book, and they send me it. Problem solved.

thanks to you all!