Berserk Cosplay

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk Cosplay

Post by Brainpiercing »

Bwahaha, ok, someone find out Miura's email adress...
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

This is straight from the manga:
"Definetly too big to be called a mere "sword" Big, thick. heavy, and that's just a rough sketch, it was certinaly forged from a slab of iron."
Its in one of the early chapters.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Brainpiercing wrote:Bwahaha, ok, someone find out Miura's email adress...
Heheh, I wish. :P
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

lon3vvolf wrote:This is straight from the manga:
"Definetly too big to be called a mere "sword" Big, thick. heavy, and that's just a rough sketch, it was certinaly forged from a slab of iron."
Its in one of the early chapters.
I think it depends on the translation: most versions I've seen are worded: "it was LIKE a rough slab of iron," which leaves a little more room for interpretation.

Without a working knowledge of written Japanese, I can't really comment any further, just something to think about.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

Well, i figure i should get this thread back on track with a few updates.

I sadly did not finish my project in time for Otakon, however i will be teaching a Costume Workshop on Saturday (Costume Design with Jesse Brown) where i will have several of my Berserk pieces with me.

I decieced to just paint this for the con and ill go back later and fix the details that mainly only i will notice. part of it need to be re-bondo'd and possibly have additional fiber glass added (namely the tip that got broken and sligjtly blunted during construction

Here are 2 pics of the helm drying. I have not added in the red fabric for the eyes.

Oh, and that big metal dragon slayer above. As far as using it for cosplay, you would never be able to bring it to a convention (aside from the fact of its weight) because the con would consider is "live steel".

I have the fake hand constructed as well, its not painted yet and while it is not 100% accurate, i am satisfied with my first attempt at using Thermal Plastics.

~Jesse
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

It kicks ass. Can't wait to see it finished. :D
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Disallowing steel is so stupid. All that painted plastic never looks like metal at all.

Uh, and, the other Dragonslayer wasn't steel, either. It looks like painted plastic, too.

And... yours looks a bit short :lol:
Brainpiercing
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Painted plastic can't really be helped. Not only is the Dragon Slayer probably incredibly hard to actually make, carrying around something like that, ESPECIALLY if it was made of metal....face it, you're not Guts. XD
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

The other DragonSlayer was definatly metal. I dont think it was steel, i think they used tin or aluminum sheeting, probably 1 inch thick. I was hollow as well. I remember reading the webpage about it. Guy got a blacksmith in, im gonna say germany or austria to make it. Cost him a bundle. Needed a lift to get it into the truck and could not be lifted by one person (it was wel over 200lbs).

The term 'Live Steel' is used by conventions and cosplay gathering as any weapon, armor or prop that is constructed of metal. These props will in all cases get you removed fromt he event, and at some places autorities will be called. As they say, if its illegal to carry outside of the con, its illegal to carry inside.

The handle on mine is currently too long, i left the pvc pipe as long as possible to give myself additional room to work with. I judged from pictures and size comparison of the sword to Art of War models to get the estimated length it needed to be compared to the person. This sword, including handle is a little shy of 8 feet tall ( 5 & 1/2 foot blade, 2 foot handle ) I'm 6'3 so the proportions are about right.

Now keep in mind, there are plenty of shots where the sword is on his back, and covered by the cloak. Assuming the sword is on an angle and not straight up and down, this means the blade cant be a whole lot longer then the person is toe to shoulder. At 5 & 1/2 feet, this effect is acheieved (at least for me). So the length can vary, but your average person is shorter then me, which would make a sword of this size, let alone a larger sword, highly inaccurate and impossible to wield or carry easily. This sword as it stands is difficult to carry. I cannot turn it a full 90 degress from floor to vertical with one hand.
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

I stopped and thought for a second. A visual may be better.

And what Do we have behind Door Number 2 !!

Our Lovely assistant Vana (standing at 5'2) has a mid-construction DragonSlayer. With the latest is PVC and Dowel Supports, Foam Coring, fiberglass Structure with just a bit Bondo reininforcement. All this could be yours, it the 'Price is Right!'

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

azriell wrote:And what Do we have behind Door Number 2 !!
A double post? :P

Heh, but nah, making your own DS is cool.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Starnum wrote:
azriell wrote:And what Do we have behind Door Number 2 !!
A double post? :P

Heh, but nah, making your own DS is cool.
I LOL'd.

Nice work on the Dragon Slayer, tho. Look forward to seeing it finished.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Is it illegal in the US to carry steel armour props and blunt practice swords? I'm quite certain over here a blunt sword doesn't count as a weapon, it's either not rated at all, or it counts as a sportive device. And steel armour is certainly not rated because it doesn't protect against bullets at all.

I know you guys are the wrong audience for this, but it just seems very stupid not make normal steel armour props and blunt weapon props.

Of course the DS is an exception, since you can't carry it.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. I say go with as much realism as possible, save for the Dragon Slayer. I'll be honest, as cool as it would be to have an exact replica, there wouldn't be much I could do with it but look at it. Yeah, I could pick it up, but that'd be about it. Swing around a sword that may easily weight 200 pounds or more, heh, I think not. Maybe...slowly...and ineffectlively. Maybe if your opponent were to just stand there, yes, that might work, heh. Not that I wouldn't accept one as a gift. Me, I'd like to have something I can hold and move around, heh. Though I would still want it to at least -look- like the DS, as much as possible. I thought about buying that softcore replica I saw once, but never felt like ponying up the $200 for a fake sword. How knows, I might still spring for it, eventually.

As for what's actually illegal in public over here in the US, I can't really say, but I don't think those things would be. Thouh, you never know. I just know that you can't walk around with a real sword, unless you have like a liscense or something, heh. Do they have sword carrying liscenses? Maybe I should get one. :P
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I just picture you walking down the street chopping people left and right as you pass them by on the sidewalk
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LOL, nah, I would never hurt anyone...

If they didn't deserve it that is. :P

*Ends up thinking of a Slayers gag, wherein a delusion of Lina's, she imagines Amelia using the Dragon Slave spell (huge ass explosion) on a guy who found a penny on the ground, and she called him a thief. It was rather funny, and a bit far fetched on Lina's part for thinking Amelia would go so far.*

Heheheh.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

*Ends up thinking of a Slayers gag, wherein a delusion of Lina's, she imagines Amelia using the Dragon Slave spell (huge ass explosion) on a guy who found a penny on the ground, and she called him a thief. It was rather funny, and a bit far fetched on Lina's part for thinking Amelia would go so far.*
I'm pretty sure that was actually Gourry who imagined that. Lina had asked what he thought would happen if Amelia learned the Dragon Slave, and that's what he pictured, but they both agreed that her learning the spell would be scary (I agree, it would, Amelia is bad enough as it is).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, perhaps it was Gourry, it's been years since I watched it.

"Halt! Foul doer, you shall be punished in the name of of Justice! Dragon Slave!"

Heh, Amelia is great. My favorite character is Zelgadis. ;)
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

Starnum wrote:Ah, perhaps it was Gourry, it's been years since I watched it.

"Halt! Foul doer, you shall be punished in the name of of Justice! Dragon Slave!"

Heh, Amelia is great. My favorite character is Zelgadis. ;)
I like Xellos a bit more, he's more dynamic.

Xellos is the Zodd of Slayers xD
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Ok, I'll agree with your choice of favorites (Xellos is my favorite too) but Xellos is nothing like Zodd, other than the fact that they're both powerful, and have sold their souls to become demons (this is only known about Xellos is you look to more than just the anime, but he used to be human, and managed to become a Mazaku). Everything else about them is completely different though (appearence, personality, powers, role in the series, etc.), I don't really think it's a worthwhile comparison.
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

Istvan wrote:

Ok, I'll agree with your choice of favorites (Xellos is my favorite too) but Xellos is nothing like Zodd, other than the fact that they're both powerful, and have sold their souls to become demons (this is only known about Xellos is you look to more than just the anime, but he used to be human, and managed to become a Mazaku). Everything else about them is completely different though (appearence, personality, powers, role in the series, etc.), I don't really think it's a worthwhile comparison.
Bleh.. you totally missed it.

Xellos parallels Zodd in his relationship to the heroes. He takes on a similar role, changed a bit by the overall tone of the story, but the comparison is plenty worthwhile. They even each serve under one out of a group of demons, and not only that, Beastmaster prefers cunning and strategy over brute force, which is also a trait present in Zodd's master, Griffith. On top of that, both Zodd and Xellos are much older than anyone expects, and have both been killing machines, again, under differing circumstances, but still notable. They might be different personality wise, but I never said Xellos was like Zodd personality wise and such, I said that Xellos is the Zodd of Slayers realm, similar in role and importance.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Xellos parallels Zodd in his relationship to the heroes.
He does no such thing. Xellos is a companion (albeit a somewhat untrustworthy one), a major character in his own right (with a much bigger role than Zodds) and a guide (moving the heroes towards his own agenda) for Lina and Co. Zodd, on the other hand, is an arch-rival/enemy to Gutts, and someone Gutts seeks to surpass. The relationships are totally different, in almost every respect.
MasterHan
imanewbie

Post by MasterHan »

Dunno if anyone's seen this before, but my mouth pretty much dropped when I saw it.

Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Woah, impressive work. My only beef is the helmet seems crooked.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

nice sig buuhan ;)

oh...and the jaw does look a little wierd.