I read the last few chapters of Berserk in bulk...

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

I read the last few chapters of Berserk in bulk...

Post by Femto »

...and I'm pretty sure that I won't ever read another issue of that series again.

Talk about jumping the shark.

What about all those crazy Void/Gaiseric theories that have seemingly been dropped from the story altogether in favor of characters nobody really cares about?

Christ.

Why am I posting this in Off The Wall?

Because in Berserk I'd probably never read the replies.

To the mods: Feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Berserk has jumped the shark.

Good night.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Re: I read the last few chapters of Berserk in bulk...

Post by EnglishJim »

Femto wrote:What about all those crazy Void/Gaiseric theories that have seemingly been dropped from the story altogether in favor of characters nobody really cares about?
Who? Guts and Griffith? Totally insignificant, I know.
Femto wrote:Berserk has jumped the shark.
I've read a lot of old threads in here, and I've never really understood why you dislike Berserk so much. For many (myself included), the Golden Age arc was quite possibly the best era of Berserk. That doesn't mean to say it has since turned into a terrible series. It's still an excellent story with intruiguing characters, and the artwork is as detailed as ever, if not more so.

Care to explain your reasoning?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:To the mods: Feel free to move this thread as you see fit.
It'll stay in this part of the forum because you're a fucking hater, you hater. It shouldn't shit on the sacred forum of Berserk.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I feel that the series has gotten a little dull (maybe it's due to waiting for chapters, but what can you do, right?), but all the action seems to be building up to something really worthwhile. After all, we'll soon see Griffith fight Ganishka and Guts' gang travel to elfheim.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Did Gatts do the famous ''ehhhh'' and thumbs up as he was water ski'ing off the jump over the shark in his usual Berserkers armor?

Seems like you've bitched about this topic before Femto. You just have to constantly reaffirm that Berserk sucks don't you?
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:
It'll stay in this part of the forum because you're a fucking hater, you hater. It shouldn't shit on the sacred forum of Berserk.
Hahahahaha.

The artwork itself has degraded in my opinion.

It was at it's peak just after the Eclipse ended (the Roshinu fight and whatnot).

So much boldness.
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

Why do you say these things to me when you know I will kill you for it?
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I haven't read berserk in forever. I don't trust evil_genius and wait for the slow hawks.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Femto wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Hahahahaha.

It was at it's peak just after the Eclipse ended (the Roshinu fight and whatnot).

So much boldness.
Ok we get it you hate Berserk, stop waisting our time with this shit. If you would read the series as a whole you might feel different... I myself am hating the wait times, but it is all worth it... hey femto when this series ends you will be hitting yourself in the face thinking "...why am I so stupid, I should have been faithful, now I have missed out on the best manga that was ever made." I hope Muira sends Ninjas after the unfaithful. :twisted:
Malvado wrote:I haven't read berserk in forever. I don't trust evil_genius and wait for the slow hawks.
What the fuck are you saying??? :evil: Mod-hand please give me the power to smite these fools :twisted: J/K you do as you see fit.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Are The Hawks still translating Berserk? I really thought they quit after Evil_Genius took the job.

Anyway, Femto's just desperate for a new chapter. I bet he'll keep reading Berserk regardless of what he says here.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Hahahahaha.

So much boldness.
The Roshinu fight is the best fight in Berserk. I deem it so good, in fact, that I find it unreasonable to expect anything to reach such heights again.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I havent read even one berserk chapter in 2007. Mostly cause Miura is slow but also cause sadly i dont feel as much for it. I love Guts more than any manga character ever but i cant stand a slow chapter storywise with Guts merry band. So i will read several chapters at once hoping for the story to pick up alittle steam again. Its makes so sad sometimes that Beserk might end as "good" as it has been in the last year or so. That would be a shame and ruin the best story since the start.

I agree with Femto the art isnt as good. It looks too soft,pretty or whatever you wanna call it. The best art i had ever seen in a manga was before before vols later 20s. It got worse for every time it looked more new for some reason. The simpler looking art of Berserk had much more spark,life to it than the new pretty ones.

I dont agree though with Femto that its bad. Its still one of my fav mangas, second fav in fact.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the art may be reflecting th storyline. a softer art would make sense now that griffith is back :P. i too havent read berserk in ages. It's taking so long that I may just wait until it's finished. Berserk is reminding me a little bit of the Wheel of Time series: both very long and sporadic and winding down as they keep going.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Femto wrote:The artwork itself has degraded in my opinion. It was at it's peak just after the Eclipse ended (the Roshinu fight and whatnot). So much boldness.
There have definitely been moments beyond the Roshinu fight where the art has struck me as bold. Guts' battle with Grunbeld is a prime example, and more recently (and more specifically), the two-page spread of Zodd in 281. We could argue about styles all day, but the manga is certainly more detailed right now. The four month wait for Miura to draw each individual soldier of the last battle (as well as the various delays since) is proof of that.

Anyways, I know you didn't drop Berserk because of a change in the style of art.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah there have been moments where the art became as awesome as ever Grunbald fight being a good example.

Mrfelony: the art lost its magic way before Griffith came back in to the story.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

To clarify the title, I did not download any chapters for a few months and read 6-8 of them in a single sitting.

And nothing.

Is the story even moving anywhere at this point?

The art is a minor quibble.

It's not terrible by any means, it's just not as good as it used to be.

Whether you still like it or not, you can't ignore the fact that the series has become unfocused.

The first story arc is still one of the most realized pieces of fiction and solid storytelling I've read to this day.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

War Machine wrote:Are The Hawks still translating Berserk? I really thought they quit after Evil_Genius took the job.
The Hawks have always done volumes, EG has always done chapters/episodes. We work on two different sets of Berserk. They are "slower" because of the volumes are released even less often than the chapters. Also, to clarify the Hawks quality used to suffer greatly from stolen sources when they first started out. EG also had quality issues as we used a lot of scripts of SK.net. However, both the Hawks and EG use their own translations that are very consistent quality wise.

So picking Hawks or EG is a question of how you want to read Berserk (volume vs episode) and not a question of quality.

The story doesn't seem to be going anywhere and Miura has been delaying his releases for who knows what reason. *shrugs* I'm more than willing to keep with the group, keep translating, keep editing Berserk till Berserk finishes up or Miura dies. Regardless, it is better than most of the stuff being produced out of Japan right now, even with the delays and plodding plot
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

I don't understand the problem. I am extremely critical of what I read yet I can say the plot is as good as ever was throughout the series. Everything is tied together; it's not thrown in to waste our time. Nothing is taking place? There is a war. Of course Miura could insert a page stating "XX months later" and introduce new events, but it would create a void in this epic story of his. You can't "fast-forward" Griffith establishing his kingdom.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Avulsion wrote:I don't understand the problem. I am extremely critical of what I read yet I can say the plot is as good as ever was throughout the series. Everything is tied together; it's not thrown in to waste our time. Nothing is taking place? There is a war. Of course Miura could insert a page stating "XX months later" and introduce new events, but it would create a void in this epic story of his. You can't "fast-forward" Griffith establishing his kingdom.
Why are they not in Elfheim yet?

I mean, seriously.

I thought that was the central drive of the story and it's been how long since they decided to go there? Two years? Three? More?

In that time, we've been fed stories that have been completely unmemorable and have done little to nothing to push the main story forward.

Griffith's side of the story has been, I'm sorry to say, flat-out boring, probably because it's the same damn thing we saw in the first 13 volumes only lacking Guts' strong character and his internal conflict. I mean, the Pope? Who fucking cares? I understand that it's a big part of the story but it's being handled in a very poor and unexciting manner.

Ganishka being one of the least developed and generic "evil" character in the series is not helping matters either.

Maybe you're not being critical enough?
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

I don't recall a story that was irrelevant of to the main plot in the sense that I felt no progress was made. The whole pope thing, the discussions with the nobles, these instances interest me. I don't believe they have been dragged out.

Yes- Ganishka is your two dimensional, megalomaniacal tyrant. And I would have enjoyed not knowing how futile his defiance was from the start. There are more flaws to cite but they do not render the story unreadable. I am enjoying it. Like-- seriously.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Ever since they had that little wizard girl, i stopped. Been Berserk free for over 2 and half years now and it feels great.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Holy shit I cant believe what I am hearing... ok so the story isnt progressing at the pase that most are a custom to but when the wheel stop spining I know Miura is going to blow us away... I can feel it :twisted: He is going to make all you haters eat your words you will see

and wow two and a half years HnH, would you like the dumb-asses metal of honor for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty :evil: because you deserve it :razz:

I say death to all the unfaithful :OWTH:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Femto wrote:Why are they not in Elfheim yet?
Well for starters, when they were told about Elfhelm they had absolutely no means to get there. They travelled to the Holy See where Farnese asked her father for a ship, was refused, and they've been sidetracked by Ganishka's efforts to trample the place ever since. Not one thing that's happened within that time period has been, what you could call, filler. Wait, nothing within the entire Berserk series has been, what you could call, filler.
Femto wrote:Ganishka being one of the least developed and generic "evil" character in the series is not helping matters either.
Rest assured, if Ganishka's past is ever needed it will be shown. I'm sure it will, but Miura doesn't provide background info. just for the sake of it, as seen with other leading characters in the Golden Age.
Femto wrote:Maybe you're not being critical enough?
My only criticism is that Berserk has slowed it's pace, in comparison to the Golden Age arc, that is. But there's one fundamental difference between now and then, and that's that the Golden Age spanned many more years of Guts' life. Miura was able to piece together the major events of his childhood by making frequent time jumps, and therefore cutting out the in-between. If he'd have done this beyond the eclipse, Guts would be in his twilight years already.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

There is no excuse for the party not being in Elfheim yet.

None.

You can tell me every single thing that has happened since they set out for Elfheim but the fact of the matter is that not a single event of true significance or character development has happened in the story as of this point.

The "new" party has done nothing but follow Guts around, adding a generic line here and there.

It's sad, because every once in a while I'd see a spark of what the old Berserk was like, only to be let down immediately in the next chapter.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Femto wrote:You can tell me every single thing that has happened since they set out for Elfheim but the fact of the matter is that not a single event of true significance or character development has happened in the story as of this point.
That's a pretty ignorant statement right there. The character development has been subtle, yes, perhaps we've seen the biggest changes in Farnese. She's become a lot less dependant and shown greater maturity over the past few volumes. It isn't like the story has frozen either. Griffith has just realised some highly significant goals on the path to his dream, as you yourself pointed out.
Femto wrote:The "new" party has done nothing but follow Guts around, adding a generic line here and there.
What did the "old" party ever contribute that puts them leagues above the "new" one?