Fan Art

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Sandman wrote: oh and the brightness was because in that panel he is talking about how he is the lght that fights against the dark so that might have contributed to the light issue :roll:
let's not forget that he is pretty much dead...dead guys don't look like a paladin

great work EvilDmitri
Tenyo
imanewbie

Post by Tenyo »

Well this is my first color in... so it prolly' sucks and all that... but I saw someone who thought it would be a sweet wallpaper so I decided to color it in...

Hope it's not too big... Paintbucket downsized it a bit so it should be ok, otherwise if anyone wants it for a wallpaper just PM me and I can send you the full size.

Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Tenyo wrote:Well this is my first color in... so it prolly' sucks and all that... but I saw someone who thought it would be a sweet wallpaper so I decided to color it in...

Hope it's not too big... Paintbucket downsized it a bit so it should be ok, otherwise if anyone wants it for a wallpaper just PM me and I can send you the full size.

THe blood on the sword seems a little too opaque, but beyond that it's good. I mean, I could probably find numerous small nitpicks, but as colorings go it's a great first attempt.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I've never liked all the bodies being deleted from this picture. that and his cloak is black, and besides the opaque blood good work. also the dust should be colored as well ro something...it just seems odd that its half black and white and half color
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I really like the way that cape is colored
Tenyo
imanewbie

Post by Tenyo »

Hmm, alright. Thank you all for the input. I will go back when I get time and color in more and fix up some stuff. :]
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

MrFelony wrote:also the dust should be colored as well ro something...it just seems odd that its half black and white and half color
wasn't that snow?
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Even if it is half color, half black & white, I think it portrays the situation quite well. I mean there were dead bodies in the background, but Caska realises here that Guts was protecting her and it's a moment between those two.

As for the coloring, I agree with the comments about blood and cape, but it is very good for a first attempt.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Skullkracker wrote:wasn't that snow?
No. That was in a cave during the Tower of Conviction area, where the pagans kidnapped Casca and the other woman (can't remember her name currently) and Gatts had to cut up about 20 pagans. So it's all rocks and dust and dirt in the cave I'm sure. No snow.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I disagree. or at least i'd have to reread the chapter to come to a full conclusion since its been a year maybe. I've always felt that guts was looking at her with a hint of sadness, while she stared at him dumbly...

What i've always gotten from this panel was a sense of loneliness, sadness, and a hint of unappreciation. though i can see why you've interpreted it as casca recognizing him saving her, but what i've always read from it was that she was just staring at him dumbly, not realising the struggle that he constantly goes through for her. and this holding back of what he really wants, which is to be with and hold her (among other things) that eventually builds up to his beast being released upon her. like a starving man guarding his food from hounds, not even allowing himself to eat it.

by editing out the enemies, i feel you take away the struggle that guts has to go through constantly guarding her. while its nice that they are alone, i feel that it loses some of the pain in the situation. though there are a lot of good feelings in the frame that come from the sense that he is there guarding her and will always be there.
Last edited by MrFelony on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Good , without a new Berserk chapter coming this month either , at least we can enjoy this greats Fan Arts coloring.

Great work !
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

To me it was almost an introduction for Guts. The previous several pages were set up so that we didn't see what exactly was interfering (though of course we knew and then in this panel we have the big reveal. And in many ways it is an introduction, because this is the definitive moment where Guts makes the shift from a revenge-obsessed wandering swordsman to a guardian.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

MrFelony wrote:I disagree. or at least i'd have to reread the chapter to come to a full conclusion since its been a year maybe. I've always felt that guts was looking at her with a hint of sadness, while she stared at him dumbly...
If it is how you say, then you would agree that it is a moment between those two characters only. At that single second they both connect and all they see are each other. I even feel that Miura left out a lot of the surrounding detail to show this. That's why I made the comment about only Guts and Caska being colored.

You're probably right about the emotion though. After I read your post I went back and read the chapter and I can see your point.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

Nah, Caska's a retard at this point...she doesn't know anything aside from getting raped nowadays... sad how the badasses fall....

EDIT: Fanarter's should unite and make our own Berserk...put the Kool back in the Kool-Aid...you know?
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Tenyo
imanewbie

Post by Tenyo »

Excuse me from butting back in here, but I would like to note one thing.

As I was looking back over my thing I have realised that the statement:
MrFelony wrote:that and his cloak is black,
is incorrect as far as I can tell looking at art directly from the creator. (As shown in these two examples.)
So just a heads up to anyone else coloring... Apparently the cloak is red.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

In the ps2 game his cloak is... red? yes I guess red ( damn now I had to check the game to be 100% sure )
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Interesting... but the black sworman should have a black cape right... not that I dont like it red :roll:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

That is because you like lightning color lol j/k . But the red cloak looks cooler than a Black one .
Last edited by Gattsblackfalcon on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Those look like two really early pieces by Miura. I always thought it was black, stained red with the blood of his victims :twisted: .

If you check the cover for vol. 29, you'll see just what I mean.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

I know what you mean , the Berserker armor needs a black cloak to look more darker.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

In the anime it was a brown cape, but I always kind of pictured it as black, with a red underside to the cape.

Edit: And as I look at more Miura colorings it cerainly seems that in the earlier chapters the cape was red. But who's to say he hasn't shifted to a darker color as the manga itself gets darker.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

I personaly like the brown of the anime. It seems more like something he would actually wear.
Groovy!
Gavin
imanewbie

Post by Gavin »

if you look at some of the artwork provided at the start of volume 22 then the images portray guts to be wearing a dark brown/black cape, mabye it was changed after the first fight (at the beginning of the manga and anime with the snake like monster) when he went to get his armour and sword looked after by goto for the first time?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well w/e color it is i think it looks best as black. And as for coloring them, i can see why you did it, its done a lot artistically. I don't mind that when i know its intended, but the thing that really irks me is taking out the dead enemies because they are as much of the story as the "moment" between the two of them. the situation isnt as tragic without some antagonist
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

What makes you guys think he uses the same cloak post-eclipse? Anyways, I don't think there's any reason to criticise the colorist if they diverge from the likely canon ofr stylistic reasons, especially when it's so often a matter of opinion.