Do you live in the United States?

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Do you live in the United States?

Post by Killfile »

Hey Jackass. VOTE!

This has been the most expensive mid-term election campaign in history. Millions have been spent, you've been flooded with ads, you ought to know who's running by now. If you don't know or don't understand the issues check out the New York Times election guide and figure it out.

This election is many things -- it's a referendum on the way the Congress has been spending money, your money. It's a referendum on the way Bush has been running the country. It's a referendum on Iraq, on Corruption, on the Deficit, and much else besides.

If you have problems voting call this number: 1-866-OUR-VOTE. It's the Election Protection coalition and they can probably help you out.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
psi29a
Godo

Re: Do you live in the United States?

Post by psi29a »

Killfile wrote:Hey Jackass. VOTE!
:PLUS1: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rulez:

If you don't, I'll find out who you are, and ban you from Mindwerks and cut off your berserk! :twisted:

Actually I'm not, but that shouldn't stop you from voting. I don't care for which candidate, so long as you vote.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

<- has voted in every election possible since the age of 18.... both here and in greece.. FUCKERS VOTE!!!! no one will ever recognize the people's needs if you're too busy voting for which bimbo should suck off simon cowell
Bow to Golbez
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't vote, and how many people I talk to that don't vote who feel like they can bitch about how things are going and act like they couldn't do anything about it. An old teacher of mine had a syaing he imparted to us, just for such an occassion:

"If you don't vote, don't bitch."

Doesn't matter if you are the one guy voting a certain way for whatever it is you are voting for, it's your privlige and your responsibilty as a citizen to take one goddamn day out of your life to do this. Or just get an absentee ballot. My mother got one and the people at city hall didn't even ask why.

And every person who is arrested for voter fraud should also be charged with treason against the United States. No, Im not joking. It IS that important. And once you get a few people with it, they will sure as shit think twice about hacking voting machines, or calling people and telling them they will be arrested if they vote.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I am a little suprised how many that doesnt vote.

Only 40% is very low even for a country like US.

No wonder people like Bush and christian conservatives came to power.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote: No wonder people like Bush and christian conservatives came to power.

While voter apathy is a big part of it, another is the goddamn South. People there vote Repulican because the Right is in sync with the fundamentalist belief structure. So even though voting Democratic would end up helping most of them economically, they seem content with kowtowing to the rich as long as those in charge aren't "Godless Heathens."
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

We have to vote in Australia, it's compulsory. The younger generation vote for the left, and the older generation vote for the right. Sad thing is, the previous generation overwhelm the younger generation in numbers, so Howard always wins. But then again, the opposition is a piece of shit. Australian politics has gone to hell.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

Eldo wrote:The younger generation vote for the left, and the older generation vote for the right.
I'm not so sure that's true. I get the feeling (remarkably) that the older generation is less cynical.

I think I also stuffed up my senate ballot last election by pointlessly filling in all the little boxes, so the reason why the senate balance is so messed up is partly my fault?

That being said, Australian politics going to hell is not too bad in my opinion. It's given me countless hours of amusement, and in general on the world scale Australia no matter how much posturing it tries to do can't really affect that much. Or maybe that's just my excuse for never taking things seriously.

Anyway, when it comes to a country like America, which is so much grander in scale, fuck-ups like George W. are a lot worse. So Americans get off your asses and vote (unless of course, some third party government contractor calls you a felon because you're black and stops you from voting).
Procrastination at its finest.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Tempest wrote:
Libaax wrote: No wonder people like Bush and christian conservatives came to power.

While voter apathy is a big part of it, another is the goddamn South. People there vote Repulican because the Right is in sync with the fundamentalist belief structure. So even though voting Democratic would end up helping most of them economically, they seem content with kowtowing to the rich as long as those in charge aren't "Godless Heathens."

Heh what you wrote is exactly what i have been watching on CNN programs about the vote.

If the democrates was talking like god was behind them like the republicans this vote wouldnt even be a race seen as how most people dislike them cause of the scandals and Iraq.

Also for some reason it was funny in scary way seeing political people saying Bush is doing things now that was the reason there was a revalouting against the King.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

A revolution would be bad in the short run but good in the long run of America. At least it would validate my ownership of multiple firearms.
Bow to Golbez
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote: If the democrates was talking like god was behind them like the republicans this vote wouldnt even be a race

That's the problem, Dems can't really do the whole religous schtick because many of the key issues that D's and R's are in contention are part of "Christian Values" (Stem Cell Research, Abortion, Gay Marriage, Prison Reform, etc). If the Democrats go too far just to get the vote, they become what are known as D.I.N.O.s, Democrats In Name Only (The same can be said for R.I.N.O.s in the Republican party). Part of how the democrats are working with this is that they are sending candidates that are a bit more conservative and in the middle to grab Moderates and the Undecided.

Actually, a D.I.N.O could make out like a bandit in the run for Congress, all the religious support and none of the Iraq/Bribing/Underage-Teen-Boy-Buttsecks scandals to bog them down.
ImageImage
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I voted today.

No complaints with the results thus far except for the Proposal 2 outcome. Proposal 2 was to ban affirmitave action, I voted no, looks like it is going to pass. :cry:
angi
imanewbie

Post by angi »

i voted!
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

I really think that Australia has it right with the Mandatory voting idea.

We should definitely work on that.
Forgive me father, for I have sinned, and find me guilty for true guilt comes from within.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Bengal wrote:I really think that Australia has it right with the Mandatory voting idea.

Dumb idea.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

arke wrote:
Bengal wrote:I really think that Australia has it right with the Mandatory voting idea.

Dumb idea.
Agreed. Most of the people that dont vote are idiots and I dont care for them to have a say on how things are run.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Care to elaborate on that one, Socrates?

I feel that we should tie mandatory voting into the process of filing your taxes. No vote, no tax return.

What suggests to you that mandatory voting is a suboptimal decision?
Forgive me father, for I have sinned, and find me guilty for true guilt comes from within.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Gaiseric already nailed one point. Plus, I loathe just about anything compulsory. Forcing everyone to vote brings to mind regimes that force the entire populace to vote, for them. Free speech yo, it's a cool thing.
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

I suppose I can understand where you're going there, but unless a LOT more people start voting, it'll never get regulated as well as it needs to be. Our attempts to replace outdated processes have failed, more or less, because of the untrustworthiness of the contractors that produce voting machines.
Edit: Besides which, we won't even remotely have a shot at getting rid of the Electoral College until we've got at least 60% voter turnout.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i didnt vote since i didnt want to vote twice (just a lil backround, im from chicago...someone will get it)
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

Hey, if it turns out you vote twice, it's not as if it's YOUR fault that you failed to consult yourself before you voted the first time.

You should still consider voicing your opinion in the election.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

they say in chicago "vote early and vote often" because we have a long history of rigging elections. in the past it wouldnt be to uncommon for someone or their dead relative to have voted more than once...though the days of that are pretty much over...i think lol
Bengal
Mastered PM

Post by Bengal »

I dunno...if Chicago were a crucial election hub for the electoral votes of the next presidential election, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bush's Minion's raising the dead. so to speak.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

In my country, you MUST vote, or else you'll get prosecuted. lol
Whats even more weird is that foreigners may also vote as well without having our nationality...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

swallow wrote:
Eldo wrote:The younger generation vote for the left, and the older generation vote for the right.
I'm not so sure that's true. I get the feeling (remarkably) that the older generation is less cynical.
I'm basing my assumption from polls years ago that showed support for different parties for different age groups. By 'older generation', I basically mean 55 and up. I basically don't care about politics nowadays, while I don't like Howard, I don't like Beazley either. Labor's on a sinking ship. What shocks me is that Liberal wins more seats in NSW, but Labor wins in state elections. But yeah, you're right, politics is of a grander scale in the US.

Personally, I don't see how mandatory voting somehow takes away your freedom, or some degree of it. I don't feel that my freedom has been stripped away from me by voting. It's not like they're sending me to fight in Iraq, I just have to rock up, and place my support for the party that bests suits my interest. At least then, no one has any (complete) regrets about who's running the country at the end. There are no examples of 'man, I can't believe how those voters could have voted for Bush! But yeah, I didn't vote lol'.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am