New to the Berserk Forum? Have questions? Post Here First!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

botamr wrote:I was just wondering what was up with Gutts having sex with that demon disguised as a woman? Did he know she was a demon? What was his purpose? He could've killed it easily without catching it off guard, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Corkus fell victim to that particular apostle during the eclipse. She (it) seduces him by appearing as a beautiful, naked woman, then suddenly becomes the monster you see in vol. 1. Guts didn't see all that happen, of course, but as to whether he fell for the same tactic or not, it's hard to tell. Maybe he was just horny. :P
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

botamr wrote:
I was just wondering what was up with Gutts having sex with that demon disguised as a woman? Did he know she was a demon? What was his purpose? He could've killed it easily without catching it off guard, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Corkus fell victim to that particular apostle during the eclipse. She (it) seduces him by appearing as a beautiful, naked woman, then suddenly becomes the monster you see in vol. 1. Guts didn't see all that happen, of course, but as to whether he fell for the same tactic or not, it's hard to tell. Maybe he was just horny.
Nah, Guts didn't fall prey to its trick. The brand let him sense that it was a demon, so he pretended to be tricked while setting his own trap. As to why he bothered setting a trap, we don't really know how powerful it was (since we never got to see it really fight)... and neither did Guts. Catching it by surprise would have simply been the easiest, most sure and least risky way to kill it. As well as requiring the least amount of effort on his part. It's simply good tactics.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Or maybe he just didn't want to pass the opportunity to have sex with a monster, you never know if you like it until you try it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I think the idea of guts having sex with anyone is perposterous. considering his track record with sexual contact and his disdain for being touched by others (let alone his love for casca) guts isnt having sex with anyone any time soon (besides casca, retard or not :P). to me, this was a very griffith like move on guts part, which makes sense because he was emulating griffith for most of his black swordsman days. its actually really funny because I've been trying to find a better way to mirror guts and griffith and I think I've found it.

I wont go in to much detail, but basically during his black swordsman days it's obvious (to me) that he was emulating griffith and was following a "similar spiral" of Griffith's fate. having sex with the demon is a very similar act to when griffith had sex with the count for money. Instead of money, Guts got to kill a demon (both brought them closer to their dreams). Now that I think about it, I think Puck actually represents the same role for guts that Casca played for Griffith.

I was thinking Guts for a while, but I just can't get over the fact that deranged casca represents that role much better. If you can't figured out why I think that just ask and i'll go into detail later.
botamr
imanewbie

Post by botamr »

I was thinking that Gutts isnt the type who has sex just like that due to his history. Also Gutts uses tactics, yes, but not to avoid battle but rather to shape it and to achieve victory. So I dont think having sex with a demon was a tactic he planned out as opposed to his other fights (using that apostle's daugher as a human shield, fighting that monkey apostle and using his armor as a distraction, etc.).

Also, I would think that having sex with an ugly looking demon like that, you'd pick up some kind of disease/magical ailment, no?
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Yeah, he got the sylphilis ;)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well before griffith took it up the but for money, no one thought he would ever use that as a tactic to achieve a "victory" of sorts, but he did. no point really speculating too much about it since we dont really know what happened before hand, i dont have the book with me, but didn't guts something to the line of "no you fell for it bitch" or something like that
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Whether it was a trap or not, it was effective; apostle dead, Guts unscathed. There is another theory, however, that as a result of Caska rejecting him, Guts needed to eject a few demons. With the opportunity to kill one at the same time, that's two birds with one stone. :P

Okay, to be serious for a moment, Guts isn't the cautious type and he wouldn't have set a trap just to avoid battling the apostle toe-to-toe. So that scene kind of cheapened his commitment to Caska for me, even if it was an efficient tactic. Well, that was my initial thought. I don't think Guts would consciously tarnish their relationship like that, not after what they've been (and continue to go) through together. To put it simply, Guts was out of his mind back then, and I don't think he realised just what he was doing. He had let himself be consumed by his desire for vengeance, and Caska (along with everything else he cared about) was all but forgotten during those two years.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Guts is emulating griffith during the first several volumes. he would do something like that because he would believe it is something griffith would do (and did when he fucked that old geezer).
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I actually agree with MrFelony, during the first few volumes Guts was very clearly emulating Griffith. Perhaps the most obvious example of this is when he tells Puck why he doesn't care that the villagers are being slaughtered by the snake baron. Similiarly, he was acting very Griffith like when he had sex with the demon just to get close enough for an easy cannon shot. It was the most effective strategy and Guts took it, as he did on several other occasions, even if the strategy was "dishonorable".
botamr
imanewbie

Post by botamr »

Why would you emulate a man you want to kill with every fiber within your body?

Also, Gutts isn't really all about honor, especially when it comes to killing demons. Gutts is about having guts, and being brave, thats who he is. I just don't find myself agreeing with the majority of people here regarding this matter, it just dosen't feel right. ; /
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

botamr wrote:Why would you emulate a man you want to kill with every fiber within your body?

Also, Gutts isn't really all about honor, especially when it comes to killing demons. Gutts is about having guts, and being brave, thats who he is. I just don't find myself agreeing with the majority of people here regarding this matter, it just dosen't feel right. ; /
For your question, there have many examples in literature and interestingly enough in history where you try to understand/emulate the person or persons you wish to seek revenge on.

Examples: Sawyer in Lost, Batman Begins, and Mothernight .

I really don't see how any of those adjectives really represent Guts, but that is alright.

The characters in the story are not 1-dimensional enough to be labeled that narrowly.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Actually, it's a long accepted truth that when you fight someone for a long time (usually this involves lots of people, like armies, as a practical matter), you often end up becoming more like them.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I dont have the books with me so i can't verify this, but doesnt guts even say things like "griffith wouldnt think this or that" while modeling his behavior after griffith? the incessent talk about people being ants beneath him is enough for me
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I might actually agree that Gatts was being a little Griffith-like in the beggining... but I don't think that was on purpose.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Khelegond wrote:I might actually agree that Gatts was being a little Griffith-like in the beggining... but I don't think that was on purpose.
Guts may have been imitating Griffith subconsciously and without realising it, that I can accept. I suppose it's plausible since his hatred toward Griffith was the only thing that occupied his thoughts at the time. Perhaps he thought that doing this would bring him closer to Griffith (that is, his revenge). Though I would strongly disagree if someone said that Guts, fully aware of himself, emulated Griffith because it is something that Griffith would do. Don't forget, Guts has to face what (possibly) no other human could, and that means he must approach certain situations with a different attitude in order to survive (even if that means doing what he otherwise wouldn't (i.e. emulate his nemesis)).
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Oh, I fully agree that Guts wasn't intentionally imitating Griffith in his behavior. It's just that Griffith had had such a huge impact on his life, and played such a major role in shaping him, that he was imitating him without even realizing it. I don't really think that Guts is a big one for introspection and self-analysis, frankly.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Istvan wrote:I don't really think that Guts is a big one for introspection and self-analysis, frankly.
It's funny you say that. There has been the odd occassion where Guts would question his purpose, sometimes leading to life-altering decisions. Such as the time he left the Hawks, and after his encounter with Jill during the Lost Children chapter. Though in general, you're probably right.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

While he may not have focused on self-reflection and analysis daily, I agree with EnglishJim that he did take a lot of time out to think about his life. let alone for the fact that he pretty much was a loner, what else would he have to think about other than his life, what he is doin, etc :P. though after the eclipse he certainly went a little nutso
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

there are also other examples of going after characters to kill them with everything you have oyuki of lady snowblood went after her father/brother killers which tarentino copied in kill bill sorta.
BerserkerWench
imanewbie

Re: New to the Berserk Forum? Have questions? Post Here First!

Post by BerserkerWench »

Hi. I'm BerserkerWench and Berserk was one of the first anime DVD's I purchased. I loved the story, but always thought the ending did not fit with the rest of the story. I made a comment about it on another website and someone recommended that I try reading the manga. They explained to me that the anime only covered a small part of what the whole story is about and that the ending would make a lot more sense after reading it. I did as they suggested and the person was so right. All of the chapters I've read have been scans and I've just ordered the first two volumes of the manga from Amazon. I plan on owning all of them that are available as soon as possible.

I do have a question. I don't know if the the scans I read were incomplete (they weren't from this site) or if it just went over my head, but I saw in the faq section something about Guts and Casca having a child and that the child was tainted due to Casca being raped by Femto? I don't remember reading that it said that she was even pregnant. Could someone tell me what chapter this was in? Thanks. By the way, this is a really cool website.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

BerserkerWench wrote:I do have a question. I don't know if the the scans I read were incomplete (they weren't from this site) or if it just went over my head, but I saw in the faq section something about Guts and Casca having a child and that the child was tainted due to Casca being raped by Femto? I don't remember reading that it said that she was even pregnant. Could someone tell me what chapter this was in? Thanks. By the way, this is a really cool website.
Hello and welcome to the forum. :D

I hope someone else can give you the exact chapter and volume as I'm at work and can't research it properly.

There where a couple chapters dedicated to the 'twisted' fetus that came out of Casca and if I remember correctly, disappeared, (faded out) of existence. The physical vessel that is represented by the fetus was used by Femto to come into the world as post-Femto Griffith. What was left, be it spirit or whatever of the baby between Guts and Caska was taken in by the Egg Apostle before it died. That is the last we hear of it till much later when Guts and Crew are on the beach and see a child. Guts and Caska both act... oddly (like that did around the fetus).

Interesting note: In the city right before the attack by the Kushans, there is a spirit of sorts that Guts sees. Not sure if it is the child or not, but the child shows up again in the city.

So, it is not know if 'The Child' is astral being with no real corporal form, or something else entirely. We can only speculate that it appears and disappears, but shows up now and then around Guts and Caska.

Vote on if this should be a new thread or not, I can't remember if we discussed this at length or not.
BerserkerWench
imanewbie

Post by BerserkerWench »

psi29a wrote:
BerserkerWench wrote:I do have a question. I don't know if the the scans I read were incomplete (they weren't from this site) or if it just went over my head, but I saw in the faq section something about Guts and Casca having a child and that the child was tainted due to Casca being raped by Femto? I don't remember reading that it said that she was even pregnant. Could someone tell me what chapter this was in? Thanks. By the way, this is a really cool website.
Hello and welcome to the forum. :D

I hope someone else can give you the exact chapter and volume as I'm at work and can't research it properly.

There where a couple chapters dedicated to the 'twisted' fetus that came out of Casca and if I remember correctly, disappeared, (faded out) of existence. The physical vessel that is represented by the fetus was used by Femto to come into the world as post-Femto Griffith. What was left, be it spirit or whatever of the baby between Guts and Caska was taken in by the Egg Apostle before it died. That is the last we hear of it till much later when Guts and Crew are on the beach and see a child. Guts and Caska both act... oddly (like that did around the fetus).

Interesting note: In the city right before the attack by the Kushans, there is a spirit of sorts that Guts sees. Not sure if it is the child or not, but the child shows up again in the city.

So, it is not know if 'The Child' is astral being with no real corporal form, or something else entirely. We can only speculate that it appears and disappears, but shows up now and then around Guts and Caska.

Vote on if this should be a new thread or not, I can't remember if we discussed this at length or not.

Thank you. I remember seeing the twisted fetus different times, but I didn't make any connection. I did wonder, though, about the child they found on the beach. The child went up to Guts later, and if I remember right, climbed up on his back and did not seem to show any fear of him. I thought that was interesting.
TrAnKiLo
imanewbie

Post by TrAnKiLo »

Hi all im new to this forum so il just post my hello here.
Im from spain but because of where i live (Gibraltar) i can speak english aswell im 18 and have recently come across the manga Berserk..its really amazing and the detail into the art and story is beyond what im use to. I dont wanna go to long with this im looking foward to meeting you all on the forums so il keep this short and sweet.

P.S i can teach you spanish swear words!! :p
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Nice to meet you, TrAnKiLo, and welcome.