how much physical activity do you all get?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Well the new people (freshmen, or upperclassmen who just decided to join) go a few days early to learn the type of marching (Yes there is more than one way to march down a field) and commands. Then the returning members (like myself) come in to practice and re-learn anything we have forgotten (In my case, it's probably quite a bit).

A lot of it ends up being musce memorization. learning to keep one leg just enough from being locked so you don't pass out, and the other in thair at a 90 degree angle and holding that position for like 2 minutes straight, so you and your legs can learn how it feels to do a high-step. And then commands and drill are introduced into it and you run practice drills for a while (Do this much high-step and then transition into this much traditional step, then turn and do that 3 more times to make a box drill). The camp itself is just to get yourself in good physical condition and learn thne basics.

Learning the actual moves and music for the shows is mostly done during the school year, as opposed to high school bands who do one show throughout the year and use most of their camps to just learn as much of that show as possible.
ImageImage
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

dont take your body for granted. keep it healthly or you will end up like me with an injury and just have to sit at home all summer to heal the damn thing.

btw it was a shoulder dislocation. Nothing huge, but i never in my life have hurt my body, so this was a shock to me when it happened. Anyone got some nasty injuries?

Tempest do you also do all those like design marching (no clue whats it called) on a football field?
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

halfnhalf wrote:btw it was a shoulder dislocation. Nothing huge, but i never in my life have hurt my body, so this was a shock to me when it happened. Anyone got some nasty injuries?
I had my arm broken, when I was 10 year old, that was the last time I cryed in my life. :? Nothing special

I often get wounds and injuries and such things but I'm the type to ignore the pain, I just don't care about pain.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Well my shock was mainly cuz i couldnt play tennis anymore and all the colleges that i might have played for, just forgot about me, but meh. Cant wait to start lifting in the winter time and get with it.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

were you that good at tennis half?
I used to play but it's been ages.

You know what kind of injury disables you the most?
Went to the dentist (drill-sargeant as I call him now) yesterday, who changed a filling in a rather bad tooth. 30 minutes of extreme pain with tubes and tools of all sorts in my mouth. And if that wasn't enough, that damn tooth kept aching all day. It seems fine now, but I couldn't do anything, eat, sleep, workout(!). just lie around and try not to feel. This has been the most intense physical pain I have ever felt.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Skullkracker wrote:were you that good at tennis half?
I used to play but it's been ages.

You know what kind of injury disables you the most?
Went to the dentist (drill-sargeant as I call him now) yesterday, who changed a filling in a rather bad tooth. 30 minutes of extreme pain with tubes and tools of all sorts in my mouth. And if that wasn't enough, that damn tooth kept aching all day. It seems fine now, but I couldn't do anything, eat, sleep, workout(!). just lie around and try not to feel. This has been the most intense physical pain I have ever felt.

Not to brag too much but i was pretty damn good. captain of the team 3 years in a row. my weapon was my serve (hence why a shoulder injury was a killer...) I had "The Serve" i usually clocked like 105-115 mph. I had such cofindence in my serve i sometimes made my second a regular first serve. Barely double faulted. My returns were crap, but i was able to get by.

From that you can tell i was pretty hardcore at tennis. Spent like 4 hours a day practicing.

Fun Fact. I went to the same high school as Pete Sampras. I got to play with Maria Sharapova before she went pro. FYI shes older then they say. Actually i use to practice at the same place she does.

ok theres my bragging.

For your tooth no novacain?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

halfnhalf wrote: Tempest do you also do all those like design marching (no clue whats it called) on a football field?

WHat do you mean by design marching? We do halftime shows during football games if that's what you mean, and the shows can have some interesting drill and make some interestign shapes. For example we did a Video Game Medley and out drill made a big "Z" when we played the theme from Zelda and a mushroom when we played "Mario" as well as Tetris blocks.
ImageImage
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

yah that, no clue what its call.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

So your tennis skills must be great I guess. Hope you can keep 'em going...
halfnhalf wrote:For your tooth no novacain?
My face was so numb I couldn't even spit, but the tooth-fairy-man was messing with the naked nerves there. It was a live horror show. It doesn't hurt anymore but I don't even dare think about it.
PosseINeedYou
imanewbie

Post by PosseINeedYou »

I regularly, swim, lift weights and play basketball. Except for this week, because I cracked a few ribs. :(
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

i smoke and i dont do too much physical activity regularly

hmm

ill die at 50 xD
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Keep thinking that smoking is healthy for the better, maybe the placebo effect and willpower can keep you living past 50.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

dos.azn wrote:i smoke and i dont do too much physical activity regularly

hmm

ill die at 50 xD
Not if a car will hit you tommorow. :P
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

dos.azn wrote:i smoke
ill die at 50 xD
quite a nasty habit (and you'll die at 42 respectively)

as I recall smoking won't do any good for the southern boys either
that would make me think twice
(I don't have to 'cause I hate smoke)
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

no worries dos, my gramps is 71 and still strong. Hes been smoking since he was 14.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

but he won't live up to the age he normally would
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

-broke my right thumb in baseball
-broke my left pinky in basketball
-broke my right thumb and right index finger in football practice
-suffered temporary paralysis from water skiing due to someone falling on top of my head...don't ask
-dislocated shoulder while backyard kneeboarding
-bruised ribs from Kenpo sparring
-busted shin from Tang Soo Do
-ripped my back muscles from lifting up wrong during squats in weight training class
-concussion from gang members beating my ass outside of a store because I -got one of their homies suspended from school due to them harassing other students
-and lastly when I was little I was leaning over a slippery(because of the moring dew) metal picket fence and slipped having the metal picket go into my mouth impaling my head onto the fence.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

really adventurous (and the last was brutal)

I'm careful by nature. I only had major injuries when I busted my head aginst the pavement when I fell in kindergarten (hence carefulness from then on)
and had a slight concussion later when the summer heat got to me after tennis --> face down on the pavement again.
I really have a thick skull
(these are not why I have my nick)
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Well I never broke but this is something what I have suffered.

-Some gung-ho beats me with a baseball bat on my head, lol the baseball bat was broken in two.

-fell on the back of my head from like 1m 50cm height, lol I was KO for 5 min. (I was jumping on an air filled castle)
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

hah, somehow I've never been beaten up...yet...it's pure luck actually

this is turning into: accidents I've had (and survived)
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Well here i go......

-When I was little my leg got ran over by a car. Ran over not hit..
-I got pushed off a 6 stair by my brothers when I was very little and hit the back of my head on the ground I currently have an ever lasting bump on the back of my head.
-Broke my left pinky and my right pointer finger in football.
- Pretty sure i did something to my right thumb it jerks a lil when i move it and hurts alot sometimes.
-Pretty sure i fucked up my big toe in wrestling never got checked out
-I was born with a two part kneecap, the doctor said it wasnt uncommon, however its bad of one of the other parts gets dislodged. I got hit low in football in7th grade and since then ive been having a lot of knee problems. From it just random giving out, or from it swelling up and just plain not working.
-Just yesterday i think i broke my middle toe,....(one of my 330 pound tackles steped on it pretty hard when i was in a pile.) and i got a stinger....

Not as bad as darken but i got my share of bruises.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Yall have it bad. I just had cancer! :)

Only a few breaks for me. I fractured a wrist trying to learn to ice skate.

Lesson Learned: I'm bad at ice skating.

I broke my left pinkie while substitute teaching for a gym class.

Lesson learned: Never teach third graders how to do a layup when there's some punk kid in the back of the class trying to see how hard he can hit the backboard with a ball.

Turned out the finger was still broken during my wedding. The look on my face when my bride is putting the ring on my finger is PRICELESS. I'm looking at her like "oh God please don't touch my pinkie..."

... but it looks like "Holy crap! She's actually going through with it! How do I get out of this now?!?!"
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Killfile wrote:"

... but it looks like "Holy crap! She's actually going through with it! How do I get out of this now?!?!"

Go for the dramatic kiss early? Thats what I woulda done. Grab her and lay one on her.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

hahaha, nice stories

I don't have much like these
this is my reward for being lazy (well I was)
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Buzkashi wrote:
Killfile wrote:"

Go for the dramatic kiss early? Thats what I woulda done. Grab her and lay one on her.
You have to wait for the "priest" to say you can. :P